Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Game Week WMU at EMU, October 28th 2023
Bookmark and Share
holybovine Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Eastern Michigan
Game Week WMU at EMU, October 28th 2023
With apologies to ‘79, I’m starting this thread because I am flying in to see this one. I’d be happy to say hello to anyone who will be there. I sit on the East side.

Frankly, this game is for bowl eligibility. WMU is better than expected; we are worse than expected. Win or go home.
10-21-2023 07:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Sellers dweller Offline
1st String

I Root For: EMU
RE: Game Week WMU at EMU, October 28th 2023
(10-21-2023 07:41 PM)holybovine Wrote:  With apologies to ‘79, I’m starting this thread because I am flying in to see this one. I’d be happy to say hello to anyone who will be there. I sit on the East side.

Frankly, this game is for bowl eligibility. WMU is better than expected; we are worse than expected. Win or go home.

100%. This is what I call a "bowl game" meaning we have to win it if we want to make a bowl. I have a hard time seeing us winning at Toledo, or at Buffalo (I know Buffalo isn't great this year) so we need these two home games against WMU and Akron.
10-22-2023 07:16 AM
RamyEMU Offline
All American

Welcome home in advance, Bovine! Safe travels.

Hope you (we) are not disappointed with a loss… Go EMU!!
(This post was last modified: 10-22-2023 02:04 PM by RamyEMU.)
10-22-2023 02:04 PM
holybovine Offline
Heisman

(10-22-2023 02:04 PM)RamyEMU Wrote:  Welcome home in advance, Bovine! Safe travels.

Thanks Ramy! We need this one badly.
10-22-2023 03:02 PM
steve4840 Offline
1st String

(10-22-2023 03:02 PM)holybovine Wrote:  
(10-22-2023 02:04 PM)RamyEMU Wrote:  Welcome home in advance, Bovine! Safe travels.

Simply put.....if we lose this game we need to go 2-1 against Toledo, Akron and a good Buffalo team to make a bowl. This game is ENORMOUS for bowl implications.

we will be without our star player Sparacio the 1st half.

WMU gives up a lot through the air. Austin needs to out together a solid game or else I fear coaches will be forced to make a decision.

Get Hamze the ball, get to their QB, and get Jaylon in space and we have a chance.

WMU is currently favored by 1.5

Go Eagles
10-22-2023 09:14 PM
Sellers dweller Offline
1st String

(10-22-2023 09:14 PM)steve4840 Wrote:  

Simply put.....if we lose this game we need to go 2-1 against Toledo, Akron and a good Buffalo team to make a bowl. This game is ENORMOUS for bowl implications.

WMU gives up a lot through the air. Austin needs to out together a solid game or else I fear coaches will be forced to make a decision.

Get Hamze the ball, get to their QB, and get Jaylon in space and we have a chance.

Go Eagles

Are you sure about that? I thought because it happened in the first half he is good to go for this weeks game. I thought it only carried over to the first half of the next game if the ejection took place in the second half.
10-23-2023 06:12 AM
Advertisement

steve4840 Offline
1st String

(10-23-2023 06:12 AM)Sellers dweller Wrote:  

Go Eagles

Are you sure about that? I thought because it happened in the first half he is good to go for this weeks game. I thought it only carried over to the first half of the next game if the ejection took place in the second half.

Ah you may be right Sellers. My Bad. I just assumed that a targeting penalty had that punishment but I believe you are correct. Good catch
10-23-2023 06:34 AM
Sellers dweller Offline
1st String

As others have said....we really need this one. ESPN has us with a 52.9% chance of winning, so basically a toss-up. Western is 2-6, which I think a lot of people aren't surprised by, however they have played much better than I think most have us have thought they would and are better than their record. Their only wins are against a FCS team and Ball State, but they played Toledo and Miami-OH tough and then just went toe to toe with Ohio down there. They were also able to put 28 points up against Mississippi State. Their defense gives up a lot of points and yards, but that is kind of skewed because they have played three power-five teams and arguable the top three teams in the MAC.

Ohio just ran for 185 yards, I hope we go back to that early drive against NIU and pound the ball with Evans and keep it up. Keep some more quick strikes to guys like Knue and El-Zayat and hopefully we can move the ball.

One more loss and WMU is out of the bowl picture, so they'll be desperate for a win. Since the UMass game (which yes I know we won) but I have had a hard time feel good about any game with this team. I pointed out last year that in this win streak against WMU it seems every game has a surprise hero that leads us to victory:

2019: Preston Hutchinson with the surprise starts throws for over 350 yards, 3 TDs, and a rushing TD.
2020: Darius Boone goes for 150 yards and a TD
2021: Chad Ryland is 5-5 on field goals in a 21-20 win.
2022: With the QB position kind of in flux, Taylor Powell goes for nearly 300 yards and 3 TDs

Who will step up this year?
10-23-2023 06:37 AM
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU
Didn't expect us to be 1.5 favorites. Was anticipating something more like EMU -3.

I know Vegas doesn't take series history into consideration, but EMU has won like the last 5 meetings. Hard to get that monkey off our back in a 'normal' year, much less in a total rebuild year.
10-23-2023 08:39 AM
Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

(10-23-2023 08:39 AM)Motown Bronco Wrote:  Didn't expect us to be 1.5 favorites. Was anticipating something more like EMU -3.

I know Vegas doesn't take series history into consideration, but EMU has won like the last 5 meetings. Hard to get that monkey off our back in a 'normal' year, much less in a total rebuild year.

Motown, I think Tim Lester was worth seven points to the Green and White.

I watched your Ohio game and honestly you pushed them all over the field. You have some real talent there, just missed a lot of opportunities.
10-23-2023 05:06 PM
cidbearit Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: MSU
(10-23-2023 06:34 AM)steve4840 Wrote:  

Go Eagles

Ah you may be right Sellers. My Bad. I just assumed that a targeting penalty had that punishment but I believe you are correct. Good catch

I did confirm with my favorite lineman that Sporacio will be available for the full game on Saturday.
10-24-2023 08:33 AM
Advertisement

emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
(10-24-2023 08:33 AM)cidbearit Wrote:  
(10-23-2023 06:34 AM)steve4840 Wrote:  
(10-22-2023 03:02 PM)holybovine Wrote:  Thanks Ramy! We need this one badly.

Go Eagles

I did confirm with my favorite lineman that Sporacio will be available for the full game on Saturday.

Thanks Cid.
10-24-2023 09:12 AM
TheWoodenNickle Offline
Heisman

(10-23-2023 08:39 AM)Motown Bronco Wrote:  Didn't expect us to be 1.5 favorites. Was anticipating something more like EMU -3.

The line is a head-scratcher. A 2-6 team is playing at a 4-4 team that has beat them 4 straight...and they're a 2.5 point favorite?

Something doesn't make sense. One might be inclined to use common sense and take EMU with the points. This seems like a trap, though, and I'll stay away from it.
10-24-2023 09:37 AM
Sellers dweller Offline
1st String

(10-24-2023 09:37 AM)TheWoodenNickle Wrote:  

The line is a head-scratcher. A 2-6 team is playing at a 4-4 team that has beat them 4 straight...and they're a 2.5 point favorite?

Something doesn't make sense. One might be inclined to use common sense and take EMU with the points. This seems like a trap, though, and I'll stay away from it.

I get the differnces in records, but let's say the schedules were switched. This would be my guess at how Eastern would have done:

St. Francis-W
@Syracuse-L
@Iowa-L
@Toledo-L
Ball State-W
@Miss. State-L
Miami-OH-L
@Ohio-L

...so basically we'd have the same record as them if we played the same schedule. I think these teams are much closer then the records would have you think. Also, despite playing a tougher schedule, their offense has been much better than ours and their defense hasn't been that much different in terms of yards given up.
10-24-2023 09:59 AM
Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

Coach Creighton seems tired after underachieving this season.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=R65zcgFXvvg
10-24-2023 04:29 PM
holybovine Offline
Heisman

(10-24-2023 04:29 PM)Luckeyone Wrote:  Coach Creighton seems tired after underachieving this season.

We all are!
10-24-2023 04:42 PM
Advertisement

steve4840 Offline
1st String

(10-24-2023 04:42 PM)holybovine Wrote:  
(10-24-2023 04:29 PM)Luckeyone Wrote:  Coach Creighton seems tired after underachieving this season.

We all are!

He gave a very political answer to a good question by Helmer (sidenote....Helmer is so good). I think Creighton feels the weight of a very tough season
10-24-2023 07:57 PM
Ken Barna Offline
All American

Dear Friends,
I have to be the dissenter here. All of the talk about how good or how tough everyone is except Eastern. Western is good all of a sudden because they played Ohio tough. Could it be that maybe Ohio isn't as good as people think. Northern Illinois beat Boston College the first game of the year, and all of a sudden they are one of the teams to beat for the MAC West title. Boston College is mediocre at best this year, so how wonderful was the win for Northern?
I get that all the MAC teams brag when they beat the P5 teams. We did, when we beat members of the Big Ten, and I was there to cheer on those victories. The reality though, was that those were not very good teams
I think that the opponent, and their record, as the season progresses have to be taken into just how good a team is, when we discuss how good is any team.
10-25-2023 10:34 AM
emussuperfan Offline
Heisman

(10-24-2023 09:37 AM)TheWoodenNickle Wrote:  

They are going by how our offense hasn't been that good. 05-nono
10-25-2023 11:20 AM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
(10-25-2023 10:34 AM)Ken Barna Wrote:  Dear Friends,
I have to be the dissenter here. All of the talk about how good or how tough everyone is except Eastern. Western is good all of a sudden because they played Ohio tough. Could it be that maybe Ohio isn't as good as people think. Northern Illinois beat Boston College the first game of the year, and all of a sudden they are one of the teams to beat for the MAC West title. Boston College is mediocre at best this year, so how wonderful was the win for Northern?
I get that all the MAC teams brag when they beat the P5 teams. We did, when we beat members of the Big Ten, and I was there to cheer on those victories. The reality though, was that those were not very good teams
I think that the opponent, and their record, as the season progresses have to be taken into just how good a team is, when we discuss how good is any team.

Boston College is 4-3 so at least not one of the worst - though ACC wins were Ga Tech and Virginia. Still a good win but the loss to SIU the following week kind of cancelled that out. EMU's defense will make them tough for anybody in the MAC this year.
10-25-2023 12:09 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.