Cincinnati Bearcats

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Urban Meyer
Bookmark and Share
ZCat Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC
Urban Meyer
Anyone notice that on The Big Noon pregame show they didn’t mention that Urbie played for UC and is an alumni?? They mentioned his first coaching job was as a DB coach in Cincinnati at St. Xavier HS.

Did they not want the audience to feel he was biased? Does he really not hold Bearcat pride?? I have heard his lack of PT or something bittered him towards UC. He was complimentary about UC (during halftime show??).

On the Bearcat Journal Podcast One of the mailbag questions was about this. I had been meaning to post about it anyway. I knew he played football here but they said he played baseball too. And his son was here for five years. I forgot about that. And apparently his grandpa also went to UC. I know his sister was a Provost. What gives??

09-29-2023 12:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators
RE: Urban Meyer
(09-29-2023 12:10 PM)ZCat Wrote:  Anyone notice that on The Big Noon pregame show they didn’t mention that Urbie played for UC and is an alumni??

They mentioned it later in the show. They didn't say it when they first came on the air, however.

09-29-2023 12:13 PM
eroc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC, Liverpool
(09-29-2023 12:13 PM)mlb Wrote:  
(09-29-2023 12:10 PM)ZCat Wrote:  Anyone notice that on The Big Noon pregame show they didn’t mention that Urbie played for UC and is an alumni??

They mentioned it later in the show. They didn't say it when they first came on the air, however.

i don't follow urban much but i don't associate him with Cincy at all tbh. i associate him with osu and failure at the nfl level. His tenure at FL seems so long ago.

Yes, he's an alum, a former player, and has Cincy roots, but that seems so inside Cincinnati that i wouldn't expect anyone who doesn't follow UC to really know about that.

And if he really wanted his cincy-ness to be associated with him, he'd claim it more prominently. But he doesn't tmk, and that tells me all i need to know.

(This post was last modified: 09-29-2023 12:28 PM by eroc.)
09-29-2023 12:27 PM
ZCat Offline
1st String

I forwarded through Parts that I thought they were talking about other teams. Thanks for clarifying that. At least it was mentioned.

09-29-2023 12:55 PM
Advertisement

mlb Offline
O' Great One

Donators
I don't think Gameday says much about Herbstreit going to OSU either. Probably to try to appear "neutral" when analyzing the games.

09-29-2023 12:57 PM
ZCat Offline
1st String

(09-29-2023 12:27 PM)eroc Wrote:  

i don't follow urban much but i don't associate him with Cincy at all tbh. i associate him with osu and failure at the nfl level. His tenure at FL seems so long ago.

Yes, he's an alum, a former player, and has Cincy roots, but that seems so inside Cincinnati that i wouldn't expect anyone who doesn't follow UC to really know about that.

And if he really wanted his cincy-ness to be associated with him, he'd claim it more prominently. But he doesn't tmk, and that tells me all i need to know.

Well said- The proof is in the pudding. If you have to search real hard for his allegiance, obviously he doesn’t hold it highly.
I don’t expect everybody to be the Kelce brothers rockin’ the CPaw, but I’ll take all the free pub from alumni we can get. Disappointing

09-29-2023 12:57 PM
ZCat Offline
1st String

(09-29-2023 12:57 PM)mlb Wrote:  I don't think Gameday says much about Herbstreit going to OSU either. Probably to try to appear "neutral" when analyzing the games.

Makes sense.

09-29-2023 12:58 PM
Advertisement

RedRocker Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC, UK's foe
(09-29-2023 12:10 PM)ZCat Wrote:  I knew he played football here but they said he played batseball too. And his son was here for five years. I forgot about that. And apparently his grandpa also went to UC. I know his sister was a Provost. What gives??
He didn't play baseball at UC. He was drafted by the Braves and played minor league ball for them for a couple of years. Nate played baseball for a couple of years before switching over to football in '20. He was a grad assistant last season. I don't know where he is now.

10-07-2023 08:48 PM
OKIcat Offline
Heisman

I know Urban has lots of UC connections, but I also get the impression he shares that grudgingly, at best, when the opportunities arise. I respect his tremendous accomplishments as a college coach, but my perception is he wants people to associate him with osu first and foremost. He's a tad arrogant for my taste.

Having said all that, one can argue Fickell was our most successful coach but I have to say I felt even he was less than gracious with his remarks when leaving here for Wisconsin. Maybe that's just an osu/B10 thing too--in Buckeyes' minds, the greatest conference. The town folks in Columbus were none too gracious to Luke during his interim head coaching stint. Then UC gave him a platform to rise high among the most respected young coaches and earn a CFP spot. I'd think a more positive exit statement could have been shared when walking out the door.

10-08-2023 10:30 AM
chatcat Offline
All American

I Root For: BEARCATS
Is Urbie's sister still a prof at UC?

10-08-2023 11:52 AM
Advertisement

bww Offline
McCuse

I Root For: Bearcats
(10-08-2023 11:52 AM)chatcat Wrote:  Is Urbie's sister still a prof at UC?

She was in the Provost office for a while, but I can't find her on a search of that office anymore.

10-09-2023 08:51 AM
OKIcat Offline
Heisman

(10-09-2023 08:51 AM)bww Wrote:  

She was in the Provost office for a while, but I can't find her on a search of that office anymore.

Correct. She may have retired but from what I remember she was well regarded and held some high level posts in the UC administration. The family has UC connections through at least three generations now.

Should UC do more to strengthen the relationship with Urban? Should he keynote a football or athletic banquet or receive any special recognition from the Alumni Association? He is likely one of the highest profile alumni nationally of his generation.

Similarly, I've wondered about the relationship between UC and Collinsworth. He is an alum of our law school. I heard him speak at a UC-related event downtown years ago and he continually referred to UC as "there" rather than "our". Small point maybe but my takeaway was that his only connection was to Florida. And I've seen no evidence of his engagement with the University, though perhaps he has some involvement with College of Law.

(This post was last modified: 10-09-2023 09:00 AM by OKIcat.)
10-09-2023 08:59 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(10-09-2023 08:59 AM)OKIcat Wrote:  
(10-09-2023 08:51 AM)bww Wrote:  

Correct. She may have retired but from what I remember she was well regarded and held some high level posts in the UC administration. The family has UC connections through at least three generations now.

Should UC do more to strengthen the relationship with Urban? Should he keynote a football or athletic banquet or receive any special recognition from the Alumni Association? He is likely one of the highest profile alumni nationally of his generation.

Similarly, I've wondered about the relationship between UC and Collinsworth. He is an alum of our law school. I heard him speak at a UC-related event downtown years ago and he continually referred to UC as "there" rather than "our". Small point maybe but my takeaway was that his only connection was to Florida. And I've seen no evidence of his engagement with the University, though perhaps he has some involvement with College of Law.

Collingsworth is a UK booster IIRC. He’s done a few commercials for them. Wife was a cheerleader for the Kayats, her family is all dialed-in Big Blue.

10-09-2023 09:58 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.