Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Is USM Back Yet?
Bookmark and Share
Reggie Favre Offline
All American

I Root For: Southern Miss
Is USM Back Yet?
With good QB play we can have 8+ wins. With great QB play, we can win every game but FSU. And I think we can play with them a good while.

We need to score at least 50 and give up less than 10 against Alcorn. If this doesn't occur, my outlook changes drastically.

Tulane does not scare me at all. More concerned with App St. We should be able to play with MSU this year for a change.

Go Eagles!
08-27-2023 07:33 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Golden Fogg Offline
Bench Warmer

RE: Is USM Back Yet?
Don’t think so. OL looks to still be a problem. QB play was much better though, but how long before they get knocked out?
09-03-2023 04:29 PM
Reggie Favre Offline
All American

A little disappointed myself. Was hoping for a larger win margin. Offense froze up some and couldn't get the TD. First drive was good. Guess I could pretend that was the only drive we ran our true Offense.

Florida St looking strong! This game will be ugly. If we make it out healthy then I'll look forward to beating down Tulane.
09-03-2023 09:29 PM
DaSaintFan Offline
Dum' Sutherner in Midwest!

I just got done rewatchign the highlights for FSU and LSU.. There was a LOT of underneath stuff for FSU. (the TD's were back shoulder fades and only saw one real "seam" route and I saw a couple of busted LSU coverages.).

I'm not expecting to win, but I'm gonna be honest, if we don't shoot ourselves in the foot, this FSU-USM game might be closer than a lot of people think,

Although I'll admit I'm worried about our OL vs. their DL and their running QB's.. if Wiles realizes he has to get rid of the ball quick and can find the quick four or five yard pickups, perhaps he can negate that?
(This post was last modified: 09-04-2023 03:31 PM by DaSaintFan.)
09-04-2023 03:30 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

Survivor Champion
(09-04-2023 03:30 PM)DaSaintFan Wrote:  I just got done rewatchign the highlights for FSU and LSU.. There was a LOT of underneath stuff for FSU. (the TD's were back shoulder fades and only saw one real "seam" route and I saw a couple of busted LSU coverages.).

I'm not expecting to win, but I'm gonna be honest, if we don't shoot ourselves in the foot, this FSU-USM game might be closer than a lot of people think,

Although I'll admit I'm worried about our OL vs. their DL and their running QB's.. if Wiles realizes he has to get rid of the ball quick and can find the quick four or five yard pickups, perhaps he can negate that?

I watched some of the LSU and FSU game and agree, there were several blown coverage plays. I understand that FSU also has some hosses on the DL.

I don't think we saw the entire playbook Saturday. The offense looked vanilla and we still hung 40 pts on a team, granted it was a SWAC team. *looking at you Marshall*.

I think we'll see a different offensive scheme this week vs FSU and the following week with Tulane.
09-06-2023 07:46 AM
Reggie Favre Offline
All American

I'm most concerned with our Oline vs their Dline. We gave up 4 sacks vs Alcorn. Can't remember how many sacks Fsu put on Lsu but enough to be concerned with.
I'm thinking we will see a lot of super back in the 2nd half and get the game over with and hopefully no injuries.
09-07-2023 01:00 PM
Advertisement

gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

Survivor Champion
(09-07-2023 01:00 PM)Reggie Favre Wrote:  I'm most concerned with our Oline vs their Dline. We gave up 4 sacks vs Alcorn. Can't remember how many sacks Fsu put on Lsu but enough to be concerned with.
I'm thinking we will see a lot of super back in the 2nd half and get the game over with and hopefully no injuries.

I don't think we'll see the SB that much.. I also think we'll see some quick slant passes and quick pitches to hopefully mitigate those issues. We'll see what Hall cooks up.
09-07-2023 02:15 PM
Reggie Favre Offline
All American

I actually feel better about this team AFTER the Fsu beat down than before it. Sure, they would have smoked us without the cheating refs but it could have been and should have been 17-3 at half. Big difference. And I missed the 1st TD drive so no telling how much they may have cheated on that.

I was fearful their Dline would obliterate our Oline, but that did not occur. We also put pressure on their QBs. So our Line play should be more than fine from here out.

That FSU team is probably the best team in the country and despite what the score shows, we held our own. There were no call penalties on almost every 4th down conversation. A ridiculous PI against us and a much worse no-call PI that should have been on them (20-25 yard difference). A block in the back they didn't call on a 31 yard a KO return. How they missed the WR out of bounds until replay, idk. Still don't know how you get PI on that same ineligible WR. And those are just what my amateur eyes saw.

Should get a much more fair shake from here out. I think we have a good showing the rest of the way and win a lot of games. Potentially all of them.
09-10-2023 08:00 AM
Black and Gold Battle Umbrella Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: USM
Getting “back” to relevance is an irrational contemplation.
09-10-2023 10:29 AM
Reggie Favre Offline
All American

Well, we have our answer. No, we are not back. We suck, again. I was wrong.
09-16-2023 05:50 PM
Golden Fogg Offline
Bench Warmer

(09-16-2023 05:50 PM)Reggie Favre Wrote:  Well, we have our answer. No, we are not back. We suck, again. I was wrong.

Yep, sorry. It’s hard to understand how the overall talent has fallen so. Other teams in our conference and comparable conferences compete with better programs winning some and losing some, but being in the games. We are just treading water over and over again -can’t seem to break out of it.
09-17-2023 12:34 PM
Advertisement

EagNBran Offline
All American

That’s what happens when you hire coaches who can’t recruit and run boring offenses. Players don’t want to play for it and he doesn’t have the ability to recruit past it. Our recruiting rankings have been terrible under Hall. Hopson recruited better, which is mind blowing. And look at who plays. Transfers he tries to patch issues with because his high school recruiting is that bad.
09-17-2023 08:42 PM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

Survivor Champion
Very disappointed in the showing on Saturday. Couldn't run the ball (but Tulane does have a good run defense).. Couldn't complete passes.. Just looked more of what we've seen the previous 2 games...

I thought we'd see more of the Hall playbook. But maybe that's it.
09-18-2023 07:47 AM
Golden Fogg Offline
Bench Warmer

(09-17-2023 08:42 PM)EagNBran Wrote:  That’s what happens when you hire coaches who can’t recruit and run boring offenses. Players don’t want to play for it and he doesn’t have the ability to recruit past it. Our recruiting rankings have been terrible under Hall. Hopson recruited better, which is mind blowing. And look at who plays. Transfers he tries to patch issues with because his high school recruiting is that bad.

I didn't know that about the recruiting, but it shows on field.
09-18-2023 07:54 AM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

Survivor Champion
I'll say this.. My liver ain't gonna take the hit like it did with Johnson, but it's gonna take some punishment in the upcoming weeks if we can't get this sh*t figured out. I still trust in Hall, but he's gotta show me something here quick. I hear how great of an OC he was at these other schools, but now I wonder who was calling the plays, him or the HC?
09-18-2023 12:30 PM
EagNBran Offline
All American

(09-18-2023 12:30 PM)gdunn Wrote:  I'll say this.. My liver ain't gonna take the hit like it did with Johnson, but it's gonna take some punishment in the upcoming weeks if we can't get this sh*t figured out. I still trust in Hall, but he's gotta show me something here quick. I hear how great of an OC he was at these other schools, but now I wonder who was calling the plays, him or the HC?

Was he though? Obviously, he seemed to do well at Tulane, but dang if they haven't just soared after he left.
09-18-2023 01:10 PM
Advertisement

gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

Survivor Champion
(09-18-2023 01:10 PM)EagNBran Wrote:  
(09-18-2023 12:30 PM)gdunn Wrote:  I'll say this.. My liver ain't gonna take the hit like it did with Johnson, but it's gonna take some punishment in the upcoming weeks if we can't get this sh*t figured out. I still trust in Hall, but he's gotta show me something here quick. I hear how great of an OC he was at these other schools, but now I wonder who was calling the plays, him or the HC?

Was he though? Obviously, he seemed to do well at Tulane, but dang if they haven't just soared after he left.

From what I've heard most of the players there the last two years were his recruits.

Maybe I've misunderstood.
09-18-2023 01:14 PM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

Survivor Champion
So listened to an interview with Hall, and he's frustrated, not with the players but with himself.

He knows the criticism and knows they didn't play to their potential on Saturday. He feels that he didn't prepare the team well enough.

We'll see what happens.
09-19-2023 08:03 AM
EagNBran Offline
All American

(09-18-2023 01:14 PM)gdunn Wrote:  

From what I've heard most of the players there the last two years were his recruits.

I’m not denying what you’re saying, I just find it hard to believe with how poorly he’s recruited for us.
09-20-2023 07:13 AM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

Survivor Champion
(09-20-2023 07:13 AM)EagNBran Wrote:  
(09-18-2023 01:14 PM)gdunn Wrote:  

I’m not denying what you’re saying, I just find it hard to believe with how poorly he’s recruited for us.
I'm not saying he's recruited poorly for us.. I just wonder if the pieces aren't totally in place yet.. I'm being optimistic.

I heard it put this way this morning.. We beat a FCS school with a few hiccups.. I can get behind that... Then got curb stomped by the #5 team in the nation.. OK... Then lost to one of the best G5 programs in the country right now (considering what they did last year) who in fact beat a team that everyone thinks is a team to beat by 17 (we lost by 18).
09-20-2023 11:05 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.