Conference USA Commissioner Seeks to Expand to 12 Teams
Bookmark and Share
Itinerant Texan Offline
Shot Caller

I Root For: On Ye Tarleton!
Exclamation Conference USA Commissioner Seeks to Expand to 12 Teams
TARLETON is coming for you, scam houston and nmsu 05-mafia

https://www.yardbarker.com/wrestling/art...5_39064308
(This post was last modified: 07-27-2023 09:26 PM by Itinerant Texan.)
07-27-2023 09:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Itinerant Texan Offline
Shot Caller

RE: Conference USA Commissioner Seeks to Expand to 12 Teams
07-27-2023 09:38 PM
FoUTASportscaster Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTA
Somewhat of a misleading article vs. headline.

Headline imply a they are actively looking and seeking members.

Article reads they’d like to but it is what it is.
07-28-2023 01:02 PM
Itinerant Texan Offline
Shot Caller

(07-28-2023 01:02 PM)FoUTASportscaster Wrote:  Somewhat of a misleading article vs. headline.

Headline imply a they are actively looking and seeking members.

Article reads they’d like to but it is what it is.

Well, when its the Commish stating she wants a League of 12 it hits different ...

There's been a bunch of bedbugs and ballyhoo about CUSA being content with 10, but Tarleton knows otherwise.

Tarleton and EKU/SFA are my personal hedges on the next, and "temporarily final" two additions.

I think the league gets to, and tries its damnedest to stay at 12, while growing back its Texas roots. Texas provides stability and fertile recruitment grounds with a nice 6/6 split geographically. Teams from the WAC (Texas) and ASUN (Southeast) can further develop for plug n play down the road if more schools bail in realignment.

After Oliver Luck finally comes out and gives us his official report about which UAC schools are FBS-ready, and which are not, this is where we could end up by 2025, into 2026:

WEST
Tarleton
SFA
Scam Houston
nmsu (off to set themselves up for more ambiguity/future rejection?)
UTEP (off to "greener" realignment pastures?)
LA Tech (off to "greener" realignment pastures?)
Bullpen: UTRGV/ACU/UCA (best 2/3 from UAC called up if/when needed/ready)

EAST
WKU
FIU
JAX ST
Kennesaw
MTSU (off to "greener" realignment pastures?)
Liberty (off to "greener" realignment pastures?)
Bullpen: EKU/Peay/UNA (best 2/3 from UAC called up if/when needed/ready)
(This post was last modified: 07-29-2023 11:49 AM by Itinerant Texan.)
07-28-2023 03:38 PM
Bobcat2013 Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas State
So you see CUSA becoming a conference made up of:

FIU
JSU
KSU
EKU
AP/UNA
Tarleton
SFA
SHSU
NMSU
UTRGV
ACU/UCA

I'd imagine if those others made it out then WKU would too. Basically still an FCS conference, so why even bother increasing expenses dramatically to basically still end up with the same schools??
07-28-2023 11:00 PM
TOPSTRAIGHT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
Thread title not the best description in context. But it's the headline I might use if trying to get clicks.

Don't count out the Dakotas as a long shot--FB Only of course.

list-- Delaware, Missouri St., SFA, Tarleton, EKU

Except for EKU-- Itinerant Texan's "bullpen" has zero chance. JMHO.
(This post was last modified: 07-29-2023 12:23 AM by TOPSTRAIGHT.)
07-29-2023 12:17 AM
Advertisement

Itinerant Texan Offline
Shot Caller

(07-28-2023 11:00 PM)Bobcat2013 Wrote:  So you see CUSA becoming a conference made up of:

FIU
JSU
KSU
EKU
AP/UNA
Tarleton
SFA
SHSU
NMSU
UTRGV
ACU/UCA

I'd imagine if those others made it out then WKU would too. Basically still an FCS conference, so why even bother increasing expenses dramatically to basically still end up with the same schools??

"Increasing expenses dramatically" = increasing payouts exponentially. None of the schools in the UAC would even be here if they didn't think the FBS juice was worth the squeeze. No, they'd be down in the Southland slumming it with Lamar, UIW and the struggling Louisana schools.

As more UAC schools get "called up" to CUSA, I think we'll see a few Southland defectors and Lone Star Conference schools move up to backfill UAC (Angelo, WT, UTPB, Commerce, etc) with the likes of West Florida and Valdosta, etc, maintaining the Texas/Southeast footprint and creating a FCS-to-FBS pipeline for future stability, not unlike an MLB farm system.
(This post was last modified: 07-29-2023 12:47 AM by Itinerant Texan.)
07-29-2023 12:26 AM
joeben69 Offline
1st String

I Root For: sdsu, ucsd, usd
IF CUSA loses UTEP & NMSU THEN CUSA selects from UAC as needed...
- Invites Tarleton and SFA initially to get back to 10 members.

ELSE IF CUSA wants to get to 12 THEN CUSA keeps inviting from UAC as needed...
- ACU/UCA/UNA on deck
- WKU blocks EKU
- MTSU blocks APU
- MO St. also in consideration but MO St. not part of UAC
07-29-2023 02:15 AM
BlueDragon Away
Heisman

I Root For: TSU
(07-29-2023 02:15 AM)joeben69 Wrote:  IF CUSA loses UTEP & NMSU THEN CUSA selects from UAC as needed...
- Invites Tarleton and SFA initially to get back to 10 members.

ELSE IF CUSA wants to get to 12 THEN CUSA keeps inviting from UAC as needed...
- ACU/UCA/UNA on deck
- WKU blocks EKU
- MTSU blocks APU
- MO St. also in consideration but MO St. not part of UAC

No doubt, CUSA will lose some schools before this next wave of realignment is done.
07-29-2023 10:53 AM
Heisman

There’s some doubt. If the Pac## dissolves a la the Southwest Conference, there may not be a lot of trickle down as the stranded Pac teams may fill in below.
07-29-2023 03:39 PM
RCI Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ACU
Apparently there are a half dozen schools preparing to try to join the PAC##. It would clearly dilute the prestige of the PAC but it is already damaged, perhaps beyond repair.
07-29-2023 04:23 PM
Advertisement

Itinerant Texan Offline
Shot Caller

(07-29-2023 03:39 PM)FoUTASportscaster Wrote:  There’s some doubt. If the Pac## dissolves a la the Southwest Conference, there may not be a lot of trickle down as the stranded Pac teams may fill in below.

Don't be silly. PAC 12 isn't going anywhere. SWC didn't dissolve. SWC and Big 8 merged to spawn Big 12. Now, could PAC 12 and the best of MWC merge and spawn a PAC 16-20 Superconference? THAT is something to whittle some wood over...
(This post was last modified: 07-29-2023 04:55 PM by Itinerant Texan.)
07-29-2023 04:52 PM
wewererebels Online
Special Teams

I Root For: UT Arlington
(07-29-2023 04:52 PM)Itinerant Texan Wrote:  
(07-29-2023 03:39 PM)FoUTASportscaster Wrote:  There’s some doubt. If the Pac## dissolves a la the Southwest Conference, there may not be a lot of trickle down as the stranded Pac teams may fill in below.

Don't be silly. PAC 12 isn't going anywhere. SWC didn't dissolve. SWC and Big 8 merged to spawn Big 12. Now, could PAC 12 and the best of MWC merge and spawn a PAC 16-20 Superconference? THAT is something to whittle some wood over...

Actually there is merit to the suggestion that the SWC dissolved, unless you think TCU, SMU, Houston and Rice were immediately given power five destinations.(They were not!)

The Pac 12 may gobble up the Mountain West and others to spawn a super conference as you say, or it may go the way of the Big East and become another non-power 5 (oops, power 4) conference. But this may be all academic. If the transfer portal and NIL insanity continues, many of the football playing schools may have to abandon the pretense of being anything other than professional minor league teams.
07-29-2023 10:25 PM
Heisman

The four remaining SWC schools know what’s the difference between a merger and dissolution.

Texas-Austin didn’t want to lose the prestige of joining the Big 8, so the Big 8 actually ceased to exist to and the Big 12 was founded in the mid-90’s.

If schools are going to be joining, there has to be a financial gain. That is almost exclusively in media rights at the moment. With the expanded playoff, conferences will have access to the CFP pool at greater rates, downplaying that benefit. Who in the remaining PAC is gonna get the big units in the bball tournament?

The PAC ##’s financial benefit has rapidly fallen. Now is the remaining benefit enough to offset various fees for moving? That’s the question.
07-29-2023 10:45 PM
RCI Offline
Special Teams

I think if NIL dramatically reduces the number of power teams then there will be a lot of stranded also rans that are now in the Power 5. Those that cannot keep pace could well consider new life in stable conferences (as yet created) that had exciting and competitive competitions at least for their fans. Being a perpetual also ran is not very inspiring for bottom feeders in the "power" conferences. To me it seems we have a P2 situation today with the SEC and Big 10. How can universities think of moving up into the elite levels when the reality of TV revenue will likely forcus on maybe a couple of dozen teams at best? I worry TV will revert to more local coverage of regional favorites for a low end and the high end will be the "P2." I think what we need is an establishment of rivalries amoung teams that match up well but not necessarily failing attempts to compete against the P2 that attract the eyeballs. How many here can't wait to watch games in the Big East conference? Not too many I think. Am I wrong?

Discussion invited...
07-29-2023 11:26 PM
TexanFan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tarleton
I know this doesn’t apply to this thread specially, but I think it is something to think about when discussing conference realignment,

Bud Elliott posted on Twitter there are only 18 schools with the wherewithal to win the CFB National Championship and they are

FSU
Miami
Clemson
OSU
Mich
PSU
OU
Texas
ND
USC
Oregon
Bama
Georgia
Auburn
FL
Tenn
LSU
Texas A&M

For those who know Matt Brown, he agreed with this list.
07-29-2023 11:31 PM
Advertisement

Bearkat21 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Sam Houston
(07-29-2023 11:31 PM)TexanFan Wrote:  I know this doesn’t apply to this thread specially, but I think it is something to think about when discussing conference realignment,

Bud Elliott posted on Twitter there are only 18 schools with the wherewithal to win the CFB National Championship and they are

FSU
Miami
Clemson
OSU
Mich
PSU
OU
Texas
ND
USC
Oregon
Bama
Georgia
Auburn
FL
Tenn
LSU
Texas A&M

It's funny that Cincinatti and TCU got closer to winning a CFP national title than half the teams on this list ever have.
07-30-2023 02:04 PM
RCI Offline
Special Teams

(07-29-2023 11:31 PM)TexanFan Wrote:  I know this doesn’t apply to this thread specially, but I think it is something to think about when discussing conference realignment,

FSU
Miami
Clemson
OSU
Mich
PSU
OU
Texas
ND
USC
Oregon
Bama
Georgia
Auburn
FL
Tenn
LSU
Texas A&M

Exactly! Well noted. I won't argue whether the list is accurate or not but it is pretty close for sure. Athletics are important and have a fine role in creating teamwork and achievement. But we often seem to forget the value can be achieved with many levels competition, not just within these premier sports institutions. The odds of a young athlete finding a place at one of these institutions are so low that we would lose the opportunity of competitive sports if this is all we pursue. The truth is we need many conferences of many levels with competitive opportunities for more athletes, not just those with the highest NIL payments.
07-30-2023 02:06 PM
wewererebels Online
Special Teams

I Root For: UT Arlington

I agree with this sentiment. Texas Wesleyan playing NAIA football is in my opinion superior to larger D-1 schools that do not play the sport. If Wichita State and UTA do not feel able to support D-! teams, there would be no shame in having D-2 or even "club" football at those schools.
07-30-2023 11:12 PM
Itinerant Texan Offline
Shot Caller

"There will be changes coming with realignment and we know it will hit the WAC... We have talked with two other conferences that are interested in us..."

-UVU AD Jared Sumsion

https://twitter.com/WACHoopsNation/statu...72512?s=20
07-31-2023 09:32 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.