Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Pitt, SU, BC, UM finding a end of year rival
Garrettabc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Florida State
Pitt, SU, BC, UM finding a end of year rival
These 4 don’t have a consistent opponent for an end of year rival game. I don’t know how y’all feel, but knowing that there is still one more game worth playing at the end of a lowsy year can be encouraging. I’d suggest the following:

SU vs Pitt - L͏on͏g time BE opponents, just makes sense that there would be a little bit more juice for this game.

BC vs UConn - Reminds me of a Austin Powers vs Dr. Evil relationship. Both are rediculous charactures, but their energies seem to feed one another, the sum is greater than the individual.

UM vs USF - When UM came to the ACC, the ACC put UM in the opposite division of FSU and had the ACCG game in Jacksonville for the first few years. No doubt the ACC had plans to capitalize on a rematch game. That fell apart, but an annual end of year game vs USF could produce good ratings and be well attended. Good for Miami, good for future member USF.
(This post was last modified: 05-16-2023 02:23 PM by Garrettabc.)
05-16-2023 02:21 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

green Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Miami
RE: Pitt, SU, BC, UM finding a end of year rival
(05-16-2023 02:21 PM)Garrettabc Wrote:  These 4 don’t have a consistent opponent for an end of year rival game. I don’t know how y’all feel, but knowing that there is still one more game worth playing at the end of a lowsy year can be encouraging. I’d suggest the following:

SU vs Pitt - L͏on͏g time BE opponents, just makes sense that there would be a little bit more juice for this game.

BC vs UConn - Reminds me of a Austin Powers vs Dr. Evil relationship. Both are rediculous charactures, but their energies seem to feed one another, the sum is greater than the individual.

UM vs USF - When UM came to the ACC, the ACC put UM in the opposite division of FSU and had the ACCG game in Jacksonville for the first few years. No doubt the ACC had plans to capitalize on a rematch game. That fell apart, but an annual end of year game vs USF could produce good ratings and be well attended. Good for Miami, good for future member USF.

uf or nd ...

BOOM OR BUST
05-16-2023 02:30 PM
Garrettabc Offline
Heisman

(05-16-2023 02:30 PM)green Wrote:  
(05-16-2023 02:21 PM)Garrettabc Wrote:  These 4 don’t have a consistent opponent for an end of year rival game. I don’t know how y’all feel, but knowing that there is still one more game worth playing at the end of a lowsy year can be encouraging. I’d suggest the following:

uf or nd ...

BOOM OR BUST

I guess it’s BUST then.
05-16-2023 02:47 PM
Hokie Mark Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
You want the final game to be a P5 rival, so BC/UConn is out.
I say take advantage of the new P5 teams in the Big XII:

Syracuse vs. Boston College (more actual hate that SU/Pitt)
Pitt vs West Virginia (return the Brawl to its rightful weekend)
Miami vs UCF (in-state, could become a big deal in time)

If you don't like Miami/UCF for some reason, then Miami/Houston is ok.
Same goes for Pitt/Cincinnati if WVU doesn't work out.

#You'reWelcome
05-16-2023 03:13 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ken d Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports

In 2023, Pitt finishes @ Duke, while Wake plays @ Syracuse. Seems like they should just be swapping opponents.

The other games that week:

Virginia Tech @ Virginia
UNC @ NC State
Miami @ BC
Florida St @ Florida
Clemson @ South Carolina
Kentucky @ Louisville
Georgia @ Georgia Tech

Those games make sense. However, it seems to me that if every game that weekend is a big rivalry, most of them will get lost in the crowd. Maybe it would be better for viewers if some of them were spread out through the season.
05-16-2023 03:43 PM
Garrettabc Offline
Heisman

I concede, your idea is better. But what if USF joins the ACC? I think the USF vs UCF game would be more meaningful, so that would displace Miami or should UCF be the one that is absent of a rival?
05-16-2023 03:50 PM
Advertisement

Garrettabc Offline
Heisman

(05-16-2023 03:43 PM)ken d Wrote:  

In 2023, Pitt finishes @ Duke, while Wake plays @ Syracuse. Seems like they should just be swapping opponents.

The other games that week:

Virginia Tech @ Virginia
UNC @ NC State
Miami @ BC
Florida St @ Florida
Clemson @ South Carolina
Kentucky @ Louisville
Georgia @ Georgia Tech

Those games make sense. However, it seems to me that if every game that weekend is a big rivalry, most of them will get lost in the crowd. Maybe it would be better for viewers if some of them were spread out through the season.

Take advantage of Thursday and Friday night. But I’m also a proponent of dropping the ACCCG completely to spread out these rivalry games even more.
05-16-2023 03:52 PM
esayem Online
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
Why not just cycle between the four?

BC, Syracuse, and Pitt are set to play every season and so is BC and Miami. When Pitt and Syracuse pop on Miami’s schedule make that the finale.
05-16-2023 04:47 PM
Hokie Mark Online
Hall of Famer

(05-16-2023 03:50 PM)Garrettabc Wrote:  I concede, your idea is better. But what if USF joins the ACC? I think the USF vs UCF game would be more meaningful, so that would displace Miami or should UCF be the one that is absent of a rival?

If both UCF and USF join, it means Miami (and FSU) are gone.
05-16-2023 05:33 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Garrettabc Offline
Heisman

(05-16-2023 05:33 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  
(05-16-2023 03:50 PM)Garrettabc Wrote:  I concede, your idea is better. But what if USF joins the ACC? I think the USF vs UCF game would be more meaningful, so that would displace Miami or should UCF be the one that is absent of a rival?

That’s not what I meant. Just USF in the ACC, UCF still Big12.
05-16-2023 06:09 PM
Hokie Mark Online
Hall of Famer

(05-16-2023 06:09 PM)Garrettabc Wrote:  

Ah, I'm with you now.
I will say this: if UCF (or USF) had to choose between playing USF (or UCF) or Miami, which do YOU think they'd pick?
(This post was last modified: 05-16-2023 06:44 PM by Hokie Mark.)
05-16-2023 06:43 PM
Advertisement

Garrettabc Offline
Heisman

(05-16-2023 06:43 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  
(05-16-2023 06:09 PM)Garrettabc Wrote:  

Ah, I'm with you now.
I will say this: if UCF (or USF) had to choose between playing USF (or UCF) or Miami, which do YOU think they'd pick?

That’s a difficult one to answer. If USF was in the ACC and UCF wanted to restart their rivalry, USF may want to play hard ball and try to start an annual rival with UM instead. However, I see no reason why USF could not play both in the same year in that circumstance and it would just make more sense if UCF and USF would play at the end of the year. Add UConn and now the ACC has UCF’s 2 biggest rivals.
05-16-2023 07:01 PM
BigOwensboroCard Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisville
Pitt should be matched up with West Virginia during rivalry week IMO. The backyard brawl would be a HUGE rating win for everyone.
05-17-2023 10:14 PM
random asian guy Online
All American

I Root For: VT, Georgetown
Pitt vs PSU
BC vs Miami
Cuse vs WVU
05-17-2023 10:27 PM
Hokie Mark Online
Hall of Famer

(05-17-2023 10:27 PM)random asian guy Wrote:  Pitt vs PSU
BC vs Miami
Cuse vs WVU

Honestly, you could rotate those 3 opponents and everyone would be happy.

Pitt vs PSU
BC vs Miami
Cuse vs WVU

Pitt vs WVU
BC vs PSU
Cuse vs Miami

Pitt vs Miami
BC vs WVU
Cuse vs PSU
05-18-2023 12:18 AM
TIGER-PAUL Offline
All American

I Root For: PITT
Pitt would probably favor Miami out of that group but they’re no longer annual. Cuse or BC works but they have each other. All of the future WVU games are Sept. dates.
(This post was last modified: 05-18-2023 05:57 AM by TIGER-PAUL.)
05-18-2023 05:55 AM
Advertisement

random asian guy Online
All American

I Root For: VT, Georgetown
(05-18-2023 12:18 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  
BC vs Miami
Cuse vs WVU

Honestly, you could rotate those 3 opponents and everyone would be happy.

Pitt vs PSU
BC vs Miami
Cuse vs WVU

Pitt vs WVU
BC vs PSU
Cuse vs Miami

Pitt vs Miami
BC vs WVU
Cuse vs PSU

True.

For Northeast schools,

PSU - everyone’s #1 opponent before BEFC
Miami - everyone’s #1 opponent in the BEFC
WVU - #1 villian
05-18-2023 07:56 PM
esayem Online
Hark The Sound!

BC vs Miami
Cuse vs WVU

Ooooh I like the traditional approach, unfortunately I don’t see it going down. Most likely it will be the rotation I posted earlier.
05-18-2023 11:03 PM
CrazyPaco Offline
All American

I Root For:
Pitt's most played end of regular season opponents (vs total games played) out of 133 total seasons.

1. Penn State 66 (100)
2. Miami 10 (42)
3. WVU 9 (105)
4. Syracuse 4 (78)
4. Carnegie Tech 4 (30)

If not counting in-season rescheduling of games due to extenuating circumstances, Miami and WVU would be tied with 11 each. Duke will be tied with Syracuse and Carnegie Tech at 4 after the 2023 season.
(This post was last modified: 05-19-2023 02:13 AM by CrazyPaco.)
05-19-2023 01:51 AM
esayem Online
Hark The Sound!

(05-19-2023 01:51 AM)CrazyPaco Wrote:  Pitt's most played end of regular season opponents (vs total games played) out of 133 total seasons.

1. Penn State 66 (100)
2. Miami 10 (42)
3. WVU 9 (105)
4. Syracuse 4 (78)
4. Carnegie Tech 4 (30)

If not counting in-season rescheduling of games due to extenuating circumstances, Miami and WVU would be tied with 11 each. Duke will be tied with Syracuse and Carnegie Tech at 4 after the 2023 season.

I was surprised to see Pitt and Duquesne only played 7 times. I think Duquesne was playing at Forbes Field before they shuttered their major football program.
05-19-2023 05:18 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.