Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

2023 Postseason Thread
Bookmark and Share
dan10 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Drexel
2023 Postseason Thread
Figured we could have a single thread to discuss anything related to all postseason play whether it be the NCAA tournament, NIT, WNIT or Women's NCAA tournament etc.

Looks like the men's field has some potential for mids to make a mark. Though as usual they couldnt help themselves but purposely pair mids against mids.

Charleston drew SDSU in the NCAAT
Monmouth drew Tennessee Tech in the WNCAAT

Bracket comes out today for the WNIT though Towson and us will have a game

For the men's NIT: Hofstra gets Rutgers in New Jersey
03-13-2023 06:30 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

hiroshimacarp Offline
1st String

RE: 2023 Postseason Thread
it's a good opportunity to talk about cam. he kind of blew a chance at a prayer to beat purdue last night. can't really blame him though so i'm not sure he was expecting the ball. otherwise he's been a huge part of penn state's resurgence. micah shrewsberry has probably coached himself out of the penn state job. somehow he kept seth lundy's head together after he was like 0-12 from 3 when they collapsed against rutgers.

i keep going back to shrewsberry calling cam and the other seniors out. he hasn't been afraid to do that stuff from time to time.
03-13-2023 06:59 AM
J.B. Offline

Women open up the WNIT Thursday night at Fordham at 7:00. I'm kind of glad they start on the road. It's been great that they've had so many opening round home games, but nobody goes to them. It's probably not financially worth it for the program. Good luck ladies.
03-13-2023 01:32 PM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

We played Fordham last year too in the first round no?
03-13-2023 02:25 PM
J.B. Offline

(03-13-2023 02:25 PM)dan10 Wrote:  We played Fordham last year too in the first round no?

No, I think it was NFSU last year and they were really bad. Then Bucknell in round 2 and then they went to SH and lost. A few years ago they played Fordham in the 2nd round at the DAC and lost a really hard fought game with Fordham giving a championship like celebration afterwards.
03-13-2023 06:09 PM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

Ah you are right. I keep getting my years mixed up. Last year was definitely Norfolk State first.
03-14-2023 09:15 AM
Advertisement

hiroshimacarp Offline
1st String

villanova women drew cleveland state with florida gulf coast-washington state as the opposite game. espn bracketology had them playing jmu with tennessee in the other game. that would have been awesome. shows how much that bracketology stuff is worth.

the time is now to jump on this bandwagon. their draw kind of stinks with no flashy teams and i watched florida gulf coast upset virginia tech (earned a 1 seed this year) last year at maryland. if they get out of it the pavillion...the top 3 in their region are indiana who lost to iowa in the big 10 championship, utah who i know nothing about but can't be at the level of other #2 seeds like iowa and uconn who could have easily been 1 seeds, and lsu who everyone seems to agree is overrated because their coach kim mulkey is half as good a coach as she is a dresser.

denise dillon in a final four is not a crazy thought...especially with the leading scorer in the country AND a supporting cast to help her. they've really brought players like dalce in the post and lucy olsen along this year. they're still probably a little too reliant on the 3 and jump shots which is part of what doomed them against uconn. that and edwards/uconn played up to their potential with fudd back. nova will be a handful for anybody if olsen, maddy burke, and mullen are hitting the open shots they're bound to get with siegrist getting all the attention.

the women's game is really coming on strong. the men's game has a #1 overall seed that had one player kicked off the team for murder and their best player delivered the murder weapon. an apparent wife beater can get fired by texas yet couldn't get snatched up quick enough by ole miss after the season. somebody is going to hire pitino even though i thought we were all in agreement he was done for turning louisville basketball into a prostitution ring.

the men's game couldn't be more sleazy. i haven't even mentioned the nil/transfer portal issues. i'll still watch the tournament...but i've had no interest in the regular season. the women's game actually passes for legitimate basketball with players that might actually want to be out there and are playing hard for the name on the front instead of the back.
03-14-2023 03:41 PM
hiroshimacarp Offline
1st String

(03-13-2023 01:32 PM)J.B. Wrote:  Women open up the WNIT Thursday night at Fordham at 7:00. I'm kind of glad they start on the road. It's been great that they've had so many opening round home games, but nobody goes to them. It's probably not financially worth it for the program. Good luck ladies.

i felt the same way. i would have felt obligated to go.

you were right about friday being tough for attendance down at towson. i've realized i caught the bug 2 years ago when we made those runs. i've started making plans so i won't miss anything...but we're back to normal where expectations have to be reset a bit.
03-14-2023 03:46 PM
jcohen42 Offline
Special Teams

Hofstra took down Rutgers. Great win for them and great win for the conference. They got a tough draw and won anyway.
03-14-2023 08:12 PM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

Great games all around last night. Its definitely March. Hofstra got lucky to force OT, but OT was some just a great game with daggers and responses from both teams. Glad Hofstra won against a middling power team.
03-15-2023 09:20 AM
Dragon For Life Offline
Special Teams

Are we doing a bracket?
03-15-2023 08:32 PM
Advertisement

dan10 Offline
Heisman

I joined the normal fans of Drexel but also the CAA one that seemed to have a fair amount. Link
03-16-2023 06:37 AM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

Last night more chaos in the NIT. And more proof middling power teams are not better off than some top mids that get auto bids. top seeded Clemson fell at home to Morehead State. Another top seed team in Oklahoma State was on the road and escaped Youngstown State by 5. Florida at home lost to in state rival UCF.

Cincinnati won which means, Hofstra will host a 2nd round game. Huge for the league. Hope Hofstra sells out and puts on a good showing again
03-16-2023 06:39 AM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

7p tonight our ladies have their game against Fordham. It is on ESPN3 so should be available to most to watch
03-16-2023 06:42 AM
Zorch Offline
All American

I Root For: W&M
(03-16-2023 06:39 AM)dan10 Wrote:  Last night more chaos in the NIT. And more proof middling power teams are not better off than some top mids that get auto bids. top seeded Clemson fell at home to Morehead State. Another top seed team in Oklahoma State was on the road and escaped Youngstown State by 5. Florida at home lost to in state rival UCF. …

This happens every year. I think that it is a function not only that mid-majors are just as good as middling bigs but also that a lot of these P5 teams just don’t care (once they found out they missed the NCAAT). Due to that, and I repeat that there are examples of this every year, I think those P5 teams should just stay home and give up their spot to a mid-major who would actually be excited about playing in the NIT.

Meanwhile, Drexel lost today in the WNIT although Washington scored 43! Towson lost by 40 (!) to Harvard. Their 4th qtr comeback against W&M was definitely their last hurrah on the season. They collapsed against Monmouth and apparently didn’t even show up against Harvard.
03-16-2023 09:46 PM
J.B. Offline

(03-16-2023 09:46 PM)Zorch Wrote:  
(03-16-2023 06:39 AM)dan10 Wrote:  Last night more chaos in the NIT. And more proof middling power teams are not better off than some top mids that get auto bids. top seeded Clemson fell at home to Morehead State. Another top seed team in Oklahoma State was on the road and escaped Youngstown State by 5. Florida at home lost to in state rival UCF. …

This happens every year. I think that it is a function not only that mid-majors are just as good as middling bigs but also that a lot of these P5 teams just don’t care (once they found out they missed the NCAAT). Due to that, and I repeat that there are examples of this every year, I think those P5 teams should just stay home and give up their spot to a mid-major who would actually be excited about playing in the NIT.

Meanwhile, Drexel lost today in the WNIT although Washington scored 43! Towson lost by 40 (!) to Harvard. Their 4th qtr comeback against W&M was definitely their last hurrah on the season. They collapsed against Monmouth and apparently didn’t even show up against Harvard.

Drexel played tough. It was typical from what we've seen from this team all season. Not sure if Kei's teammates aren't capable of putting up points or if they just thought that running the entire offense through Kei gave them their best shot of winning. Either way, it didn't really work this year. But congrats to Kei for an amazing career. Soon we'll get the full rundown of all of her accomplishments in this historic season, and in her career.

Regarding Towson....WOW! That's just unacceptable. We all know that Harvard is not 40 points better than Towson. Not even close. And Towson led by 6 after 1Q, so they were outscored by 46 points in 3 quarters. I want to check the replay of that game to see how that happened. But I called out that team during the championship game for their mega quit attitude at the end of the game. Clearly, Towson did not want to be in the WNIT, and played like they didn't care.

I've followed many Drexel teams over the past 30 years, and while many of those teams weren't that great, one thing that I NEVER saw from a Drexel team was QUIT. If I were Towson's AD, I would yank Laura Harper from her position. I don't care if they finished with the 1 seed. What they did was unacceptable.

That's my rant for the day!!!
(This post was last modified: 03-17-2023 07:33 AM by J.B..)
03-17-2023 07:32 AM
Advertisement

dan10 Offline
Heisman

(03-16-2023 09:46 PM)Zorch Wrote:  This happens every year. I think that it is a function not only that mid-majors are just as good as middling bigs but also that a lot of these P5 teams just don’t care (once they found out they missed the NCAAT). Due to that, and I repeat that there are examples of this every year, I think those P5 teams should just stay home and give up their spot to a mid-major who would actually be excited about playing in the NIT.

Absolutely it happens. Rutgers was not a case of that happening though. They were sold out and the post game interview showed that wasnt the case either. There are definitely cases of it though. Rutgers also doesnt have some prestigious past to rest their laurels on so NIT is a big deal for that school
03-17-2023 10:03 AM
hiroshimacarp Offline
1st String

Good rant.

Good to see Towson back to their usual selves. I have never been a fan of that program, which is why I think their win over us in the tournament final a few years down at Delaware really bothered me. Their old coach was able to reel them in somehow.

At least, hope this will pump the brakes a bit with their current coach. If they had won the tournament, we wouldn’t hear the end of how great she is.
03-17-2023 10:03 AM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

We were a 1 woman show again, for sure. Disappointing loss no doubt. Great game by Kei. I dont know if it was confidence or otherwise, but we would be on steals and then pull up with numbers versus going to the basket. And we missed those jumpers of course. But we had some good looks and nobody outside of Kei could hit anything. Very disappointing, thanks for Kei for a fantastic career and cant wait for the ceremony where her jersey gets retired. 4th 40 point game this season and set the record for points at Fordham's arena. Even in losses she continued to set records.
03-17-2023 10:06 AM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

In the NCAA Charleston fought tough but continued their shooting woes and fell to SDSU. Lots of upsets and close calls yesterday, but they werent able to get it done. Mountain West had not won a game in the NCAA tournament since Nevada in 2018 and had lost 11 straight before beating Charleston. Then started a new streak when Boise fell later yesterday.
03-17-2023 10:08 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.