Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NCAA Bid to speed up Football Games?
Bookmark and Share
CatMom Offline
Getting Old Sucks!

I Root For: TXST
NCAA Bid to speed up Football Games?
"NCAA Football Rules Committee proposes starting this season, game clock won’t be stopped after a 1st down except for final 2 minutes of each half.* Teams also won’t be able to call consecutive time outs. NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel will vote April 20 to make these official" - Brett Murphy

*Not sure I like this.

Thoughts?
03-03-2023 12:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mturn017 Offline
ODU Homer

I Root For: Old Dominion
RE: NCAA Bid to speed up Football Games?
I don't think it's necessary. Average gametime seems reasonable to me.
03-03-2023 12:13 PM
stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
all I see is longer commercial time…
03-03-2023 12:17 PM
monarx Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
Who cares if the games are long. If someone drives 3-5 hours to make a game, invests in a hotel etc, a nice long game and game day festivities are a good thing. This seems designed for TV, not for fans.
03-03-2023 12:21 PM
stinkfist Offline

(03-03-2023 12:21 PM)monarx Wrote:  Who cares if the games are long. If someone drives 3-5 hours to make a game, invests in a hotel etc, a nice long game and game day festivities are a good thing. This seems designed for TV, not for fans.

there’s no question they make it up selling more ad time … it’s a gimme putt…
03-03-2023 12:35 PM
GreenBison Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall | SBC
(03-03-2023 12:02 PM)CatMom Wrote:  "NCAA Football Rules Committee proposes starting this season, game clock won’t be stopped after a 1st down except for final 2 minutes of each half.* Teams also won’t be able to call consecutive time outs. NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel will vote April 20 to make these official" - Brett Murphy

*Not sure I like this.

Thoughts?

I seriously doubt that will save enough time to be truly make a difference with total game time. They want to shorten the game, stop all the obnoxious TV timeouts.
03-03-2023 12:46 PM
Advertisement

WARDAWG93 Offline
1st String

I Root For: ULM Warhawks
(03-03-2023 12:46 PM)GreenBison Wrote:  
(03-03-2023 12:02 PM)CatMom Wrote:  "NCAA Football Rules Committee proposes starting this season, game clock won’t be stopped after a 1st down except for final 2 minutes of each half.* Teams also won’t be able to call consecutive time outs. NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel will vote April 20 to make these official" - Brett Murphy

*Not sure I like this.

Thoughts?

I seriously doubt that will save enough time to be truly make a difference with total game time. They want to shorten the game, stop all the obnoxious TV timeouts.
But the TV timeouts are the reason we are getting the money. Yes, they are obnoxious but they pay the bills.
03-03-2023 12:57 PM
KickItToScotty Offline
Heisman

I Root For: JMU
Ehh it doesn't seem necessary but also just doesn't seem like a big deal one way or the other honestly.
03-03-2023 01:16 PM
stinkfist Offline

*Not sure I like this.

Thoughts?

uhhhh … less playing time on the field + same broadcast time = > ad $$$

@minutesRmillions
03-03-2023 01:25 PM
GreenBison Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall | SBC
(03-03-2023 01:25 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  

*Not sure I like this.

Thoughts?

uhhhh … less playing time on the field + same broadcast time = > ad $$$

@minutesRmillions

Longer broadcast time = more commercials = more $$$07-coffee3
(This post was last modified: 03-03-2023 01:56 PM by GreenBison.)
03-03-2023 01:56 PM
hapapp Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: App State
(03-03-2023 12:13 PM)mturn017 Wrote:  I don't think it's necessary. Average gametime seems reasonable to me.

The argument made is not time but the number of plays which reduces the number of contacts players are subjected to during a game/season. With the increase in the number of games that teams advancing in the playoffs is apparently some of the motivation for these changes. There are significantly more plays in a college game than an NFL game.

It sounds like the 10 FBS conferences are in favor.
(This post was last modified: 03-03-2023 02:13 PM by hapapp.)
03-03-2023 02:10 PM
Advertisement

Dukes94 Offline
All American

I Root For: James Madison
I'd say if it ain't broke don't fix it. Is a 10 percent (for example) reduction in the number of plays going to decrease long-term injury risk?

I guess you could say any reduction reduces risk...so why not just cancel football. What's acceptable risk?

Isn't this going to mess with the record books and stats if the game is actually shorter, based on number of plays?
03-03-2023 02:42 PM
WinstonTheWolf Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Arkansas State
Anything but eliminating/minimizing commercial breaks . . .
03-03-2023 02:44 PM
hapapp Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: App State
(03-03-2023 02:42 PM)Dukes94 Wrote:  I'd say if it ain't broke don't fix it. Is a 10 percent (for example) reduction in the number of plays going to decrease long-term injury risk?

I guess you could say any reduction reduces risk...so why not just cancel football. What's acceptable risk?

Isn't this going to mess with the record books and stats if the game is actually shorter, based on number of plays?

It's estimated that it will save about 8-10 plays a game. Over the course of a season, that would equal at least one game's worth of plays.
03-03-2023 03:00 PM
DaSaintFan Offline
Dum' Sutherner in Midwest!

I Root For: Southern Miss

*Not sure I like this.

Thoughts?

Or go soccer style.. and run the little mini-ads in the corner of the TV out of the way of the game play...
03-03-2023 05:44 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dukes94 Offline
All American

I Root For: James Madison
The only problem with soccer style timekeeping (which I like) is that there’s no way in hell we’d ever let the refs determine stoppage time or let them blow a whistle when they decide the game’s over!

But, a running clock isn’t a bad thing. I don’t see a need for it, though. Again, if it’s not broken…
03-03-2023 05:53 PM
Advertisement

chiefsfan Online
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(03-03-2023 12:13 PM)mturn017 Wrote:  I don't think it's necessary. Average gametime seems reasonable to me.

There was an article about it, but the idea is to match College Football more to the NFL. NFL games are getting finished in just slightly over 3 hours, while College games are often approaching 3.5 hours. Part of it is the commercials are longer on the college side, (Pro TV breaks are set in advance) but this should save about 10 minutes or so.

Its a lot better than the crazy original plan to run clock on incomplete passes...
03-03-2023 05:56 PM
Eagleyed Offline
1st String

I Root For: USM
I guess I'm the only one who likes the idea. I do things during commercial breaks, coding, reading, exercising. A few minutes is long enough for it. But, the clock stopping after a first down is long enough to be annoying, but too short to really do anything with the break time.
03-03-2023 06:10 PM
GEAGLESJAG Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: USA & USM

*Not sure I like this.

Thoughts?

But that would mean all the obnoxious dollars would stop flowing to the P5's.
03-03-2023 06:13 PM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
NFL games are quicker largely because they have fewer incomplete passes.

Though I'm glad they didn't adopt the rule of letting the clock run when the ball is set after incomplete passes.
03-03-2023 06:14 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.