Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Not a fan of the current Basketball schedule
Bookmark and Share
hburg Offline

I Root For: James Madison
That is, I am not a fan of having the men and women play on the same night/day at the same time.

They should find a way to give more space between the teams so that fans can watch both games without skipping around.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
01-20-2023 04:55 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

slycat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Texas State
RE: Not a fan of the current Basketball schedule
I think the women used to play before the mens games. The downside was some lousy start times on the Thursday night games.
01-20-2023 05:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SkullyMaroo Offline

I Root For: South Alabama
We’ve tried all kinds of stuff related to men’s and women’s hoops. As Sly pointed out, at one time we’d do double headers with men/women and that caused some issues with start times should the first game not end on time. It was also a mess with seating between the two games. I personally didn’t mind it but it was bothersome for many in our league. Then the Sun Belt gave them equal footing but while the men played at home the women would play away. Just wait until this spring when your baseball and softball are playing at home on the same weekends at the same time.
01-20-2023 05:20 PM
hburg Offline

Not sure how that would work at JMU since the fields are next to each other.

01-20-2023 05:34 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
WARDAWG93 Offline
1st String

I Root For: ULM Warhawks
(01-20-2023 05:00 PM)slycat Wrote:  I think the women used to play before the mens games. The downside was some lousy start times on the Thursday night games.

Women would usually start around 5:30 and sometimes even earlier than that if the men were scheduled for TV at a certain time. I guess I am probably the last holdout in the country for this but I still liked it when the men and women played back-to-back with the exact same conference schedule. I get why nobody does it anymore but I always enjoyed going and catching both teams on the same night.
01-20-2023 06:53 PM
CatMom Offline
Getting Old Sucks!

I Root For: TXST
(01-20-2023 05:34 PM)hburg Wrote:  Not sure how that would work at JMU since the fields are next to each other.

You mean like this?
[Image: image-asset.png]
01-20-2023 06:57 PM
Advertisement

Bobcats30 Offline
Bench Warmer

(01-20-2023 05:20 PM)SkullyMaroo Wrote:  We’ve tried all kinds of stuff related to men’s and women’s hoops. As Sly pointed out, at one time we’d do double headers with men/women and that caused some issues with start times should the first game not end on time. It was also a mess with seating between the two games. I personally didn’t mind it but it was bothersome for many in our league. Then the Sun Belt gave them equal footing but while the men played at home the women would play away. Just wait until this spring when your baseball and softball are playing at home on the same weekends at the same time.

It looks like the conference has tried to limit the same home weekends for baseball & softball. Didn't go through all the school with both sports but JMU & TXST has 1 such weekend and USA has none.
01-20-2023 07:31 PM
SkullyMaroo Offline

I Root For: South Alabama
(01-20-2023 07:31 PM)Bobcats30 Wrote:  
(01-20-2023 05:20 PM)SkullyMaroo Wrote:  We’ve tried all kinds of stuff related to men’s and women’s hoops. As Sly pointed out, at one time we’d do double headers with men/women and that caused some issues with start times should the first game not end on time. It was also a mess with seating between the two games. I personally didn’t mind it but it was bothersome for many in our league. Then the Sun Belt gave them equal footing but while the men played at home the women would play away. Just wait until this spring when your baseball and softball are playing at home on the same weekends at the same time.

It looks like the conference has tried to limit the same home weekends for baseball & softball. Didn't go through all the school with both sports but JMU & TXST has 1 such weekend and USA has none.

Good because there’s been years where a majority of home series of baseball and softball conflicted with each other. Maybe it’s easier to avoid conflicts with us having more teams.
01-20-2023 08:24 PM
MUther Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall
CrappiesCrappies
(01-20-2023 06:57 PM)CatMom Wrote:  
(01-20-2023 05:34 PM)hburg Wrote:  Not sure how that would work at JMU since the fields are next to each other.

You mean like this?
[Image: image-asset.png]

Ours will be very similar to that when the project is complete.
01-20-2023 08:55 PM
T-Dog Offline
SunBeltbbs App State INsider

I Root For: App State
God, JMU hasn't even been here half a season and they've whined about everything this league has done.

Trust us, it could be, and has been, a lot worse.
01-20-2023 09:16 PM
KickItToScotty Offline
Heisman

I Root For: JMU
I love the Saturday doubleheaders, makes for a fun basketball filled day. Games at the same time not so much, I've been going men's on iPad while I'm at the women's game but I really don't end up seeing much very well in the men's game. When the men are home I just check the women's score a lot.

Could be nice if they switched it to something like Wednesday/Saturday women, Thursday/Saturday men or the other way around. Although then I guess you're making two game road trips much less convenient for whoever is doing Wednesdays. Maybe Saturday/Monday and Thursday/Saturday could work.
01-20-2023 09:19 PM
Advertisement

hburg Offline

(01-20-2023 09:16 PM)T-Dog Wrote:  God, JMU hasn't even been here half a season and they've whined about everything this league has done.

Not complaining about the SB, only stating the observation of the games being at the same time for both men and women.

01-20-2023 10:01 PM
Bobcats30 Offline
Bench Warmer

(01-20-2023 09:19 PM)KickItToScotty Wrote:  I love the Saturday doubleheaders, makes for a fun basketball filled day. Games at the same time not so much, I've been going men's on iPad while I'm at the women's game but I really don't end up seeing much very well in the men's game. When the men are home I just check the women's score a lot.

Could be nice if they switched it to something like Wednesday/Saturday women, Thursday/Saturday men or the other way around. Although then I guess you're making two game road trips much less convenient for whoever is doing Wednesdays. Maybe Saturday/Monday and Thursday/Saturday could work.

This was tried in the 2016-17 season with women doing Thursday/Saturday and men doing Saturday/Monday. Everybody hated it.
01-20-2023 10:29 PM
BirdofParadise Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(01-20-2023 10:01 PM)hburg Wrote:  
(01-20-2023 09:16 PM)T-Dog Wrote:  God, JMU hasn't even been here half a season and they've whined about everything this league has done.

Not complaining about the SB, only stating the observation of the games being at the same time for both men and women.

The schools decide their tip times, not the conference. No one has ever said they have to be at the same time.
01-20-2023 10:36 PM
BirdofParadise Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(01-20-2023 07:31 PM)Bobcats30 Wrote:  

There was a big pushback by several schools over that problem. It was especially bad at Louisiana, which has great attendance for both sports. Fans were having to choose which game to go to. The league made a concerted effort this year to avoid those weekends.
01-20-2023 10:38 PM
KickItToScotty Offline
Heisman

(01-20-2023 10:29 PM)Bobcats30 Wrote:  
(01-20-2023 09:19 PM)KickItToScotty Wrote:  I love the Saturday doubleheaders, makes for a fun basketball filled day. Games at the same time not so much, I've been going men's on iPad while I'm at the women's game but I really don't end up seeing much very well in the men's game. When the men are home I just check the women's score a lot.

This was tried in the 2016-17 season with women doing Thursday/Saturday and men doing Saturday/Monday. Everybody hated it.

Ah damn, well thanks for the info. What was it that everyone hated about it?
01-20-2023 11:05 PM
Advertisement

chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
League only mandates day of games, not tip times. If you guys wanted to play the games at separate times, you could.

We've tried everything, even many moons ago having the men and women play different nights, basically every scenario had a number of detractors.
01-21-2023 12:51 AM
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

Home teams dictate start times, right?
01-21-2023 09:53 AM
ODUODUODU Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU
This is an observation not a complaint.

I was used to "travel partner" series where your school would host two teams on a Thursday & Saturday or your school would go visit to other schools that where local to each other on a Thursday & Saturday. Then you would have the Partners have a home & home weekend. I found that fun having these basketball weekends and very predictable.

I just looked at our schedule. It's very unpredictable.

I'll propose these Partner Schools:
JMU & ODU
App & Marshall
Ga Southern & Coastal
Ga State & Troy
USA & USM
ULM & UL
ASU & Tx State
01-21-2023 10:35 AM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(01-21-2023 09:53 AM)HyperDuke Wrote:  Home teams dictate start times, right?

Correct, unless the game is televised.
01-21-2023 10:29 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.