Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Atlantic Sun, WAC teams pairing up to attempt move to FBS, sources say
Bookmark and Share
UTSAMarineVet09 Offline
Corporal of the Board.

I Root For: UTSA
Atlantic Sun, WAC teams pairing up to attempt move to FBS, sources say
Quote:The remaining football members of the Atlantic Sun and WAC have agreed to align to form the foundation of a 10-member football-only conference, sources told ESPN, with the intention of becoming the 11th FBS conference.

Sources said the founding documents for the league state the group intends to move "from what is currently known as FCS football to what is currently known as FBS football at the earliest practicable date."

The schools that have signed on to join the league are WAC football members Stephen F. Austin, Abilene Christian, Utah Tech, Southern Utah and Tarleton State and Atlantic Sun football members Austin Peay, Eastern Kentucky, Central Arkansas and North Alabama.

EDITOR'S PICKS

FCS quarterfinals preview: Connelly breaks down the top game, marquee player and title odds
2hBill Connelly
UT Rio Grande Valley, which recently announced it is starting a program, is also expected to join in 2025, in that program's first season, as the league's 10th member.

The goal is for the conference to start playing in 2024 with nine members. Ambiguity looms around the process to becoming an FBS league, however. All the schools that play in the FCS will also need to go through a formal transition process.

The schools have signed a "multi-party term sheet agreement" to commit to the new league. Sources familiar with the agreement said the schools "desire to form a partnership for the development and operation of a football-only conference."

The league hasn't picked a name but has narrowed the options. In the founding documents, it's referred to as "ASUN-WAC Football," which won't be the name moving forward.

The programs from the two conferences are familiar with each other after partnering in 2021 and 2022 to gain automatic qualification for the FCS playoff.

The reasoning for the new league is, according to sources, "greater certainty in scheduling and recruiting" and a clear pathway to the highest levels of college football. Also, the schools expect increased revenue through a more lucrative broadcast contract and increased guarantee-game revenue because the games would count toward bowl eligibility if they became an FBS league.

The agreement includes the goal to "immediately explore expansion opportunities," sources said. League officials have begun early conversations with at least four other high-profile FCS football programs, sources said.

Multiple presidents from the league informed NCAA officials of the schools' collective interest in forming a new FBS league, sources said. The meeting happened within the past month.

The process of becoming the 11th FBS league is not certain because there is currently a moratorium in NCAA Division I on single-sport conferences. Ending that moratorium would require a vote from the NCAA Division I board of directors or a creative solution for league affiliation.

Sources with knowledge of the agreement are optimistic of a pathway.

"We feel very confident in talking to NCAA officials that they'd support this," a source said. "There's no grounds for them to stand on to deny it."

One obstacle is that current NCAA legislation doesn't contemplate the scenario of a new FBS league being formed. There is not a known mechanism in place for the NCAA to approve or deny a new FBS league.

It's a topic the NCAA Division I Transformation Committee is discussing generally and could offer general guidance on, but that's not a certainty.

It has been more than two decades since a new FBS league was added when the Mountain West began operating in 1999.

Generally, for FCS schools to jump to the FBS, there is a two-year transition period, which includes NCAA Division I board of directors approval. According to the NCAA handbook, "Before a [FCS] institution may apply for reclassification for the [FBS] the institution must receive a bona fide invitation for membership from a [FBS] conference or a conference that previously met the definition of a FBS conference."

As for the CFP, there have been no discussions on how that would eventually work, although there is a plan to engage in the near future.

One of the manifestations of the new league's formation has already appeared publicly. Austin Peay outlined a plan to jump to the FBS by 2025 during a recent board of trustees meeting.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/st...ources-say
12-09-2022 10:09 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TallTexan Offline
2nd String

I Root For: SFA, UT
RE: Atlantic Sun, WAC teams pairing up to attempt move to FBS, sources say
I get the desire to move to FBS. Not sure I see the mechanism available(WAC grandfathered in ya, ya, ya).

I have a sneaking suspicion they hope to add the Dakota Schools, and perhaps Montanas & Missouri State to bolster the idea. I wonder if they're receptive.
12-09-2022 10:25 AM
unalions Offline
1st String

I Root For: UNA & Bama
It's no longer just a rumor. Finally.

12-09-2022 12:17 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SammyH Offline
Banned

I Root For: Sam Houston St
Nothing about this is any different than the original “WAC-to-FBS” talk. Whole lotta media hoopla for something that’ll never happen. Best that these schools can hope for is a ticket from CUSA once they’re the least ugly candidate.
12-09-2022 12:23 PM
unalions Offline
1st String

(12-09-2022 12:23 PM)SammyH Wrote:  Nothing about this is any different than the original “WAC-to-FBS” talk. Whole lotta media hoopla for something that’ll never happen. Best that these schools can hope for is a ticket from CUSA once they’re the least ugly candidate.

LOL. Bless your heart.
12-09-2022 12:30 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SammyH Offline
Banned

I Root For: Sam Houston St
(12-09-2022 12:30 PM)unalions Wrote:  
(12-09-2022 12:23 PM)SammyH Wrote:  Nothing about this is any different than the original “WAC-to-FBS” talk. Whole lotta media hoopla for something that’ll never happen. Best that these schools can hope for is a ticket from CUSA once they’re the least ugly candidate.

LOL. Bless your heart.
Was something I said incorrect? The WAC did this exact same thing three years ago and it was picked apart.
12-09-2022 12:37 PM
Advertisement

unalions Offline
1st String

(12-09-2022 12:37 PM)SammyH Wrote:  

LOL. Bless your heart.
Was something I said incorrect? The WAC did this exact same thing three years ago and it was picked apart.

We shall see.
12-09-2022 12:59 PM
AnonymousSportsFan Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Tarleton & others

LOL. Bless your heart.

Been busy working for a while, so it’s cool to come back to something excited.

Biggest difference is the Combination of the ASUN and potentially other schools. The official statement of this combined with this action puts things into motion. Not to mention the WAC being a former FBS conferenced before realignment would open a pathway in what seems to be a new realignment period. That opens up lots of doors for the transition to work. The biggest issue would be money and media deals, which I feel could be resolved with all the money getting generated by wac schools recently. All facilities would need to be upgraded eventually.
12-09-2022 01:20 PM
Bobcat2013 Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas State
(12-09-2022 01:20 PM)AnonymousSportsFan Wrote:  

LOL. Bless your heart.

Biggest difference is the Combination of the ASUN and potentially other schools. The official statement of this combined with this action puts things into motion. Not to mention the WAC being a former FBS conferenced before realignment would open a pathway in what seems to be a new realignment period. That opens up lots of doors for the transition to work. The biggest issue would be money and media deals, which I feel could be resolved with all the money getting generated by wac schools recently. All facilities would need to be upgraded eventually.

From an outside perspective the combo of schools got less attractive with the departures of NMSU, JSU, KSU, and SHSU. Not sure how the current combo is any more appealing.

What new money are y'all getting?
12-09-2022 01:25 PM
Water Engineer

(12-09-2022 01:25 PM)Bobcat2013 Wrote:  
(12-09-2022 01:20 PM)AnonymousSportsFan Wrote:  

LOL. Bless your heart.

From an outside perspective the combo of schools got less attractive with the departures of NMSU, JSU, KSU, and SHSU. Not sure how the current combo is any more appealing.

What new money are y'all getting?
The loss of those schools is hurtful, but the addition of that group is much more appealing than just 5 schools in the WAC. Especially since a few of the ASUN schools have already expressed interest in the FBS.

With money, I was mostly referring to the UT and SFA combination, A&M dumping money into Tarleton that is completely transforming the entire school, ACU upgrading majority of their already nice facilities, Utah Tech rebrand, and UTRGV finally getting some support from their parent school.
12-09-2022 01:38 PM
TexanFan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tarleton
I love this idea but I have concerns.

Realistically, how many of the nine schools will be ready for FBS in two years? I think Tarleton is the closest to being FBS with facilities for the WAC, but we are not there yet. ACU and SFA have to expand their stadiums quickly. North Alabama plays in a high school stadium and I know this because I went to the football game this fall.

What I don’t want to do is become the Southland of FBS. If everybody pumps money into football to move up to FBS, what does it do to the other sports? The WAC has worked really hard to move up in the NET rankings and are currently setting 11th in MBB.

I know there is no magic enrollment number for FBS, but does any of the nine have high enough numbers to sustain FBS?

I am not trying to trash this idea as I want Tarleton to be FBS, but I am not sure this plan right now is the best option. It might be in five to ten years.

Edit. I do think this might encourage UTA to add football.
(This post was last modified: 12-09-2022 02:02 PM by TexanFan.)
12-09-2022 02:01 PM
Advertisement

DoubleRSU Offline
All American

I Root For: Seattle U
(12-09-2022 02:01 PM)TexanFan Wrote:  I love this idea but I have concerns.

Realistically, how many of the nine schools will be ready for FBS in two years? I think Tarleton is the closest to being FBS with facilities for the WAC, but we are not there yet. ACU and SFA have to expand their stadiums quickly. North Alabama plays in a high school stadium and I know this because I went to the football game this fall.

What I don’t want to do is become the Southland of FBS. If everybody pumps money into football to move up to FBS, what does it do to the other sports? The WAC has worked really hard to move up in the NET rankings and are currently setting 11th in MBB.

I know there is no magic enrollment number for FBS, but does any of the nine have high enough numbers to sustain FBS?

I am not trying to trash this idea as I want Tarleton to be FBS, but I am not sure this plan right now is the best option. It might be in five to ten years.

Who said anything about 2 years? The article says “earliest practical date”. That could be 5 years from today.
12-09-2022 02:07 PM
TallTexan Offline
2nd String

I Root For: SFA, UT

I'm not sure how much of this is "let's move to FBS" and how much is "let's get a lot of press for the new football conference".

That said, everyone needs better facilities to facilitate this move. Not that they're really checking closely given Sam/Bowers.

I mostly view the merged conference as win bc it lets us continue to focus on basketbal now that we've got an FCS autobid preserved.
12-09-2022 02:11 PM
Bobcat2013 Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas State

If UTA wanted FBS then they would've taken it when they had the chance as members of the SBC.
12-09-2022 02:20 PM
Water Engineer

Also think this is a long way from being done. Many of the schools are either not good enough to compete, or don’t have the facilities/money yet.

There is a lot of things that need to happen first, but it’s cool to hear there are at least plans in Motion.
12-09-2022 02:28 PM
DoubleRSU Offline
All American

(12-09-2022 02:20 PM)Bobcat2013 Wrote:  

If UTA wanted FBS then they would've taken it when they had the chance as members of the SBC.

Ding. Why would they “get kicked out” of the SBC, so they can revive their football program and join a way worse WAC/ASun bastard league a few years later?
12-09-2022 02:49 PM
Advertisement

edinburger Offline
1st String

I Root For: UTRGV

Agree with pretty much all of this, especially the part about sacrificing the sports where we're starting to be taken seriously in order to be the worst FBS conference.
12-09-2022 02:54 PM
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
What happens to all the non football schools?
12-09-2022 03:04 PM
DoubleRSU Offline
All American

(12-09-2022 03:04 PM)CrimsonPhantom Wrote:  What happens to all the non football schools?

It’s a football only league. Did you read the article?
12-09-2022 03:12 PM
Itinerant Texan Offline
Shot Caller

I Root For: On Ye Tarleton!
(12-09-2022 02:07 PM)DoubleRSU Wrote:  

Who said anything about 2 years? The article says “earliest practical date”. That could be 5 years from today.

"The goal is for the conference to start playing in 2024 with nine members"

Did you even read the article?

Now go sit in timeout and don't speak til you're spoken to, outlier. This is a FOOTBALL conversation, doesn't pertain to you.
12-09-2022 03:30 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.