Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

MWC Commissioner Steps Down
ICB Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
Is the PAC 12 about to move in?

09-14-2022 01:05 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Agust Offline
1st String

I Root For: Houston
RE: MWC Commissioner Steps Down
if i was in the MWC i would welcome it as a nice surprise. he stayed stagnant for too long and should've voiced his opinion more for his conference.
one of the reasons i like Aresco is that guy never stops talking and is very proactive.
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2022 01:43 PM by Agust.)
09-14-2022 01:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cubanbull1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF
I like the part that he uses as CFP expansion as his reason for leaving. That he had completed his job. LOL
09-14-2022 01:44 PM
ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF Knights
Aresco should try to poach MWC teams again.

Think Air Force would have a different opinion today with Thompson retiring and rumors of SDSU leaving.
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2022 02:32 PM by ArmoredUpKnight.)
09-14-2022 02:31 PM
ICB Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
(09-14-2022 02:31 PM)ArmoredUpKnight Wrote:  Aresco should try to poach MWC teams again.

Think Air Force would have a different opinion today with Thompson retiring and rumors of SDSU leaving.

But wouldn't the company they would now be keeping also make a difference?
09-14-2022 03:34 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pirate Rep Offline
1st String

I Root For: East Carolina
(09-14-2022 03:34 PM)ICB Wrote:  
(09-14-2022 02:31 PM)ArmoredUpKnight Wrote:  Aresco should try to poach MWC teams again.

One would think it's based upon the configuration that takes place. Their natural place is in a conference with Navy freeing up an out of conference game for the AFA. Their HC complained publicly about it and they had reached out before. Scheduling has been an issue for years for them. Anyway up-line has to be settled first, but AFA to the AAC always made good sense if the nostalgic didn't intercede. A decision maybe upon them.
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2022 03:47 PM by Pirate Rep.)
09-14-2022 03:46 PM
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown

IIRC, Thompson has been the MW commissioner since the last century. He was due to retire.

So IMO, I doubt current MW schools will view his departure as a sign of conference weakening.

We'll see.
09-14-2022 04:07 PM
Ned Low Online
All American

I Root For: ECU
(09-14-2022 03:46 PM)Pirate Rep Wrote:  

One would think it's based upon the configuration that takes place. Their natural place is in a conference with Navy freeing up an out of conference game for the AFA. Their HC complained publicly about it and they had reached out before. Scheduling has been an issue for years for them. Anyway up-line has to be settled first, but AFA to the AAC always made good sense if the nostalgic didn't intercede. A decision maybe upon them.

This is certainly interesting timing on his part.

I have changed my tune on expansion with MWC teams and would rather not do it. After finally seeing some sizable crowds return to Dowdy-Ficklen again after several long years I would rather see us try to add teams that our fans have some level of interest in and Colorado State is not one of those teams. AFA would bring some fans to our stadium as we have an air force base next door (Seymour-Johnson) but they would want CSU, UNM and Wyoming with them... and none of those teams excite me in the least.

I suppose that if we could add SDSU, Boise State, UNLV, Fresno State, CSU and AFA (bringing us to 20 teams total) it might work and might give us an edge in the race for the lone playoff spot we'll be fighting for. That playoff spot is the only thing I really care about.
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2022 04:47 PM by Ned Low.)
09-14-2022 04:43 PM
GoOwls111 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: No CFP BIAS
This conversation, just like his resignation, has zero effect on the AAC.

Expansion is over for the AAC unless it's required for new media contract. AAC is in a good place regarding playoff access now and in the future.
(This post was last modified: 09-15-2022 04:31 PM by GoOwls111.)
09-14-2022 04:45 PM
ghostofclt! Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte
clt suggests the aac expand and then divide into eastern and western divisions.
09-14-2022 05:14 PM
owl at the moon Offline
Eastern Screech Owl

I Root For: rice,smu,uh,unt

Yes it would.

Thompson: why you talking to Aresco?
AF & CSU: we want to play some Texas schools!
Thompson: if you guys stay I’ll expand to get us a couple Texas schools in the MWC
AF & CSU: ok cool.
Aresco then plucks all 3 Texas schools that the MWC would consider (and were already talking to), not to mention already having SMU.
Thompson: Um, sorry guys they beat me to it.

AFA/CSU would still probably take a PAC invite over another chance at an AAC spot.

But the MWC chances at survival took a big hit today (or Thompson bailed now cause he could already see it coming apart)
09-14-2022 07:17 PM
Advertisement

Bull Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF and the AAC!
Any of them who think they have a PAC shot won't consider the AAC... at least not now.

Once the dust settles out west and (if) the MWC gets raided by a reconstituting PAC ... I'd bet hard money CSU and AFA would come over. We lost 3 top programs... added at least 2 solid replacements, and we're still a very good conference with a great payout, nice exposure.
09-14-2022 07:53 PM
HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(09-14-2022 04:07 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  

IIRC, Thompson has been the MW commissioner since the last century. He was due to retire.

So IMO, I doubt current MW schools will view his departure as a sign of conference weakening.

We'll see.

They will not view it as a sign of weakening. Besides, why would MWC schools join the AAC when there is no financial gain to be ascertained from such a move?
09-14-2022 08:59 PM
owl at the moon Offline
Eastern Screech Owl

I Root For: rice,smu,uh,unt
(09-14-2022 08:59 PM)HiddenDragon Wrote:  

We'll see.

They will not view it as a sign of weakening. Besides, why would MWC schools join the AAC when there is no financial gain to be ascertained from such a move?

1. #P6
2. Cause TEXAS
3. If several of their traditional rivals leave the MWC, even less reason to stay
4. In that scenario the $$ would still be better in the AAC vs a disintegrating MWC
5. p.s., to get an annual game with Navy*
09-14-2022 09:42 PM
Bear Catlett Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC
I bet Stanford can't wait to get in a conference with Fresno St. !!!
09-15-2022 06:36 AM
CoastalJuan Offline
Business Drunk

I Root For: ECU

We'll see.

I think the lever would probably be the amount of teams, if any, the PAC would grab from the MWC.

Let's say, hypothetically, SDSU and one other team leave(UNLV, Fresno, whoever). Does that change the MWC's financial future?
Do they backfill?
With who?

Unlike some on here, I don't think a team like SMU rolls out to a conference with a now very uncertain outlook. Their situation at this moment doesn't seem all that different than the period between TX/OU announcing their departure from the Big 12, and the Big 12 announcing they were grabbing some of our teams.
09-15-2022 09:08 AM
Advertisement

HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(09-14-2022 09:42 PM)owl at the moon Wrote:  

We'll see.

1. #P6
2. Cause TEXAS
3. If several of their traditional rivals leave the MWC, even less reason to stay
4. In that scenario the $$ would still be better in the AAC vs a disintegrating MWC
5. p.s., to get an annual game with Navy*

[Image: M2Q5.gif]
09-15-2022 09:26 AM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston

It would, but any Pac12 implosion that would create a situation where the MW gets raided means that Air Force would almost certainly be invited to any rebuilt Pac12 along with Boise, SDSU, Fresno, and a couple of other MW schools.
09-15-2022 11:01 AM
Pirate Rep Offline
1st String

I Root For: East Carolina
(09-15-2022 11:01 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

It would, but any Pac12 implosion that would create a situation where the MW gets raided means that Air Force would almost certainly be invited to any rebuilt Pac12 along with Boise, SDSU, Fresno, and a couple of other MW schools.

I get that completely, but I also get that service academy football is unique with different needs to. They may want to play in Texas and in the eastern time zone too. Just a thought and I know the desire has been expressed.
(This post was last modified: 09-15-2022 09:30 PM by Pirate Rep.)
09-15-2022 01:35 PM
slhNavy91 Online
Heisman

I Root For: Navy
I know the conversation moved on to PAC10 expansion, but independent of that, AF or CSU might well view Hair Thompson's departure as addition by subtraction.
09-15-2022 02:59 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.