Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

News DOJ Releases Supposedly Damning Photo in Late-Night Filing, Donald Trump Responds
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
DOJ Releases Supposedly Damning Photo in Late-Night Filing, Donald Trump Responds

Quote:The DOJ was apparently open late on Tuesday night after they dropped a filing in an attempt to block Donald Trump’s request for a special master regarding the Mar-a-Lago raid. The FBI searched the property and took boxes of classified information on August 8th. For Trump’s part, he has steadfastly asserted he declassified everything he took, and his presidential powers would have given him that ability prior to leaving office.

Following a recent admission that the FBI took attorney-client privileged information, the former president asked the court to appoint a third-party special master to review all the documents. The judge in the case then released a preliminary decision to do just that, which sent the DOJ into fits of rage.

That’s basically what their filling consists of. It’s the same tired, weak excuses about “national security” in an attempt to never be held accountable. It also included a picture of the documents scattered on the floor that is causing hearts to flutter. Jonathan Turley offers some insight.

The Department makes many of the same claims that it used to opposed the release of a redacted affidavit, claims shown to have been misleading and exaggerated after the magistrate ordered the release. Notably, this filing contained details that were likely redacted in the affidavit but just released on the public record.

In the most direct challenge to the former President’s public claims, the Justice Department claimed that he and his staff had failed to turn over classified material and that the Department had no choice but to search areas outside of the storage room. Indeed, it says that it found three classified documents in Trump’s desk without indicating the level of classification or subject matter.

Frankly, the idea that a special master would harm the nation’s security just makes no sense. This is the same DOJ that has been leaking details of what they found like a sieve, including a claim about nuclear documents. Now, we are supposed to believe that a third party with a security clearance sorting through the material and generally noting what he’s found is dangerous. That doesn’t begin to wash, and it sounds like the same weak excuse given as to why the affidavit couldn’t be released.

Besides, isn’t it a little ironic to release a picture of the classified documents while at the same time claiming they are so sensitive a special master can’t view them? I understand the cover sheets don’t say much, but the visual alone is moronic.

It is curious that the DOJ would release this particular picture which suggests classified material laying around on the floor. The point is to state a fact that hardly needs an optical confirmation: the possession of documents with classified cover sheets. Indeed, the top of roughly half of the documents are redacted in photo. The government could simply affirmatively state the fact of the covered pages and would not likely be challenged on that point without the inclusion of this one photo.

For critics, the photo may appear another effort (with prior leaks) to help frame the public optics and discussion. Clearly the court did not need the visual aid of a picture of documents with covers. It seems clearly intended for public consumption.

As Turley notes, the photo is going to be seen by many as another attempt to push a public narrative (because it is). The photo itself adds nothing to the DOJ’s case. We already knew classified information was found because Trump himself has admitted to having it. The only reason to release that photo is to make it seem like Trump had classified documents strewn all over the floor. The picture is clearly staged, with all the “top secret” cover sheets perfectly framed for the camera, and the DOJ isn’t even denying that they laid the documents out that way.

Trump responded to the filing on his social media network.

Trump’s assertion about declassifying the documents remains the cardinal issue. It does not matter what the FBI found if the president had the right to possess it, and there is no question that presidents have total power over document classification. That’s exactly what the court is trying to figure out, and the DOJ’s filing once again assumes facts not yet in evidence, i.e. that Trump broke the law in having the documents.

As I’ve opined before, there’s a difference between the legal question here and whether Trump made strategic blunders in the process. If he had Russia-gate documents, he should have absolutely released those before leaving office instead of handing the DOJ another two-year legal battle on a platter. Still, he is not a criminal for exercising his power as president, and I believe this judge (who was appointed by Trump) is deadset on handling this fairly, without a nod to the bureaucracy’s corruption.

Link

The Biden DOJ Attaches Photo of ‘Top Secret’ Mar-a-Lago Docs — Then People Instantly Spot the Problem with It

The DOJ's Response to Trump's Call for a 'Special Master' Is Proof We Need More Transparency

Quote:About 30 minutes before last night’s deadline, the Department of Justice filed a nearly 40-page report further laying out their case against Donald Trump and justifying the raid at Mar-a-Lago.

In the long document, the DOJ presents its most damning evidence that Donald Trump committed a crime, citing a clearer sequence of events, including photographs in the document, and refuting Trump’s argument that a “special master” is necessary for document review.

Most of the media’s reaction to the filing is, of course, on the DOJ’s evidence. They are largely devoted to the idea that Trump is guilty of all things, and as such, they need to focus on the evidence. As my colleague Bonchie discussed earlier, legal experts like Jonathan Turley have laid out the case that the DOJ’s argument is weak. Others are particularly interested in the arguments that the former president can’t claim privilege to avoid criminal prosecution, that he didn’t claim privilege in his original conversations with the National Archives, and that he does not own the documents because they are property of the United States government.

But Trump’s claim that there needs to be transparency is not off-base. In this one massive filing, we have more information now than we ever had before, and some of it undermines the previous reporting on the matter between the FBI and Trump.

Earlier this month, when the raid was fresh on our minds and when the DOJ was apparently just flooding the zone with leaks to the media, I got frustrated with how much confusing information was out there. Now, not only is it confusing, but some of it is contradicted by this filing. Originally, the leaks said this was about stuff that needed to be turned over to the National Archives. Then, it was about nuclear secrets. Then it was obstruction of justice.

The media reporting on the raid and the FBI’s justification changed numerous times. Some of it is upheld in last night’s filing. Some of it is contradicted or scaled back a bit. But still, some of it is just wrong.

That is where the need for transparency that Trump called for needs to come in. Had the DOJ been more forthcoming (yes, I know it was about preserving the integrity of the investigation but you’re raiding the home of a former president and quite possibly a future candidate for president) then those reports would not have been needed, and anonymous leakers from the DOJ would not have needed to drop salacious information to reporters. Had Merrick Garland not waited five days and had a statement ready to go, explaining what happened and what they were looking for, this would have become a much less confusing news story.

But because the DOJ withheld so much, and because they weren’t doing anything to stop the internal leaks to the media, what we got was a winding road of this and that and a lot of angry people shouting talking points that are no longer valid.

This is the type of transparency that is desperately needed, and it goes beyond Trump.
08-31-2022 10:01 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

RE: DOJ Releases Supposedly Damning Photo in Late-Night Filing, Donald Trump Responds
[Image: Fbd-n_vVQAAE2ny?format=jpg&name=large]
08-31-2022 12:07 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Redwingtom Offline
Progressive filth

I Root For: B-G-S-U !!!!
RE: DOJ Releases Supposedly Damning Photo in Late-Night Filing, Donald Trump Responds
Never miss an opportunity pad that thread count!

You do realize we already have two very active threads on this subject, right?
08-31-2022 12:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MileHighBronco Offline
Legend

I Root For: Broncos
Run, Crimson....the thread police are on your tail!! 01-lauramac2
08-31-2022 12:17 PM
appst89 Offline
Herding Cats

I Root For: Appalachian St.
Still looking for those people hanging out and forcing folks to read threads.
08-31-2022 12:20 PM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

I Root For: Southern Miss

Survivor Champion
(08-31-2022 12:20 PM)appst89 Wrote:  Still looking for those people hanging out and forcing folks to read threads.

The same person talking about padding post counts is basically doing the same..
08-31-2022 12:27 PM
Advertisement

UofMstateU Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
(08-31-2022 12:14 PM)Redwingtom Wrote:  Never miss an opportunity pad that thread count!

[Image: ?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.reactiongifs.com%2Fr...amp;nofb=1]
08-31-2022 12:31 PM
Redwingtom Offline
Progressive filth

(08-31-2022 12:27 PM)gdunn Wrote:  
(08-31-2022 12:20 PM)appst89 Wrote:  Still looking for those people hanging out and forcing folks to read threads.

The same person talking about padding post counts is basically doing the same..

Thread <> posts. Try to keep up.
08-31-2022 12:41 PM
Redwingtom Offline
Progressive filth

(08-31-2022 12:31 PM)UofMstateU Wrote:  
(08-31-2022 12:14 PM)Redwingtom Wrote:  Never miss an opportunity pad that thread count!

[Image: ?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.reactiongifs.com%2Fr...amp;nofb=1]

Still trying to get traction on your failed AGT audition I see. Maybe try a different color of onesie next time? I hear Simon prefers red.
(This post was last modified: 08-31-2022 12:43 PM by Redwingtom.)
08-31-2022 12:42 PM
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

Report on Possible Trump Charges Leaves the Resistance Reeling

Quote:As RedState reported, the DOJ dropped a filing on Tuesday evening in an attempt to deny the appointment of a special master regarding the documents seized during the now infamous Trump raid. In that filing was a photograph that set leftwing hearts a flutter, purporting to show “top secret” documents scattered on the floor of a Mar-a-Lago storage room.

In reality, the documents were found in boxes per the DOJ’s own documentation.

The DOJ knew what it was doing putting that photo out, though. They wanted to gin up more “the walls are closing in” outrage from the left, and sure enough, they got it. Social media was swamped with hysterical declarations that charges were incoming. That picture was “criminal evidence,” they screeched while racking up the likes and shares along the way.

But while The New York Times broke the story (because it’s a DOJ pipeline for leaks), apparently many didn’t bother to read the details. There’s a rather inconvenient line not being talked about.

Here’s a taste of the reaction to that news.

I’m not going to say “I told you so” quite yet, but it feels like things are getting close. If you’ve read my past coverage of the raid, my opinion has been that the DOJ doesn’t want the hassle of actually charging Trump. That would mean having to defend all this in court while acknowledging they are breaking the precedent given to Hillary Clinton.

In the end, Trump is going to come out of this looking better than he has in a long time. The resistance continues to cling to their hopes of an FBI frog march, but it still feels like they overplayed their hand. Trump is not getting charged under the Espionage Act. He’s not even going to be charged with anything, in my opinion.

It’s much more beneficial for the DOJ to keep all this ambiguous by not filing charges. That way, they can keep leaking what they want to generate bad headlines. I think that’s what this was about. The government wanted the documents back as a way to stick their finger in Trump’s eye, and instead of just letting things continue to play out in court, the DOJ signed off on the raid knowing it would be used as more resistance fodder.

Now, perhaps the DOJ will end up charging Trump in relation to some fantastical theory about January 6th, but I don’t think these documents are going to lead to anything but more letdowns for the far-left. If I’m wrong, I’ll be back to admit it, but it just feels like this was a political ploy more than a move to cement a real criminal investigation.
08-31-2022 01:02 PM
UofMstateU Offline
Legend

lulz H-O-O-D-W-I-N-K-E-D
08-31-2022 01:04 PM
Advertisement

Redwingtom Offline
Progressive filth

(08-31-2022 01:02 PM)CrimsonPhantom Wrote:  Report on Possible Trump Charges Leaves the Resistance Reeling

Quote:As RedState reported, the DOJ dropped a filing on Tuesday evening in an attempt to deny the appointment of a special master regarding the documents seized during the now infamous Trump raid. In that filing was a photograph that set leftwing hearts a flutter, purporting to show “top secret” documents scattered on the floor of a Mar-a-Lago storage room.

The DOJ knew what it was doing putting that photo out, though. They wanted to gin up more “the walls are closing in” outrage from the left, and sure enough, they got it. Social media was swamped with hysterical declarations that charges were incoming. That picture was “criminal evidence,” they screeched while racking up the likes and shares along the way.

But while The New York Times broke the story (because it’s a DOJ pipeline for leaks), apparently many didn’t bother to read the details. There’s a rather inconvenient line not being talked about.

I’m not going to say “I told you so” quite yet, but it feels like things are getting close. If you’ve read my past coverage of the raid, my opinion has been that the DOJ doesn’t want the hassle of actually charging Trump. That would mean having to defend all this in court while acknowledging they are breaking the precedent given to Hillary Clinton.

In the end, Trump is going to come out of this looking better than he has in a long time. The resistance continues to cling to their hopes of an FBI frog march, but it still feels like they overplayed their hand. Trump is not getting charged under the Espionage Act. He’s not even going to be charged with anything, in my opinion.

It’s much more beneficial for the DOJ to keep all this ambiguous by not filing charges. That way, they can keep leaking what they want to generate bad headlines. I think that’s what this was about. The government wanted the documents back as a way to stick their finger in Trump’s eye, and instead of just letting things continue to play out in court, the DOJ signed off on the raid knowing it would be used as more resistance fodder.

Now, perhaps the DOJ will end up charging Trump in relation to some fantastical theory about January 6th, but I don’t think these documents are going to lead to anything but more letdowns for the far-left. If I’m wrong, I’ll be back to admit it, but it just feels like this was a political ploy more than a move to cement a real criminal investigation.

Seriously doubt there is anyone who thought the FBI actually walked into a room at MAL and found documents scattered across the floor like that. 01-wingedeagle

It's just another ridiculous distraction from team trump.

And again, if you honestly think this is the only photo from the whole execution of the warrant, you're an idiot. It's more than clear from the L-ruler and 2A card beside the box that they laid them out to show the contents of that particular box to document their findings and that they have a photo exactly like this for every box they found....and likely several for each box.
08-31-2022 01:23 PM
UofMstateU Offline
Legend

(08-31-2022 01:23 PM)Redwingtom Wrote:  
(08-31-2022 01:02 PM)CrimsonPhantom Wrote:  Report on Possible Trump Charges Leaves the Resistance Reeling

Seriously doubt there is anyone who thought the FBI actually walked into a room at MAL and found documents scattered across the floor like that. 01-wingedeagle

And again, if you honestly think this is the only photo from the whole execution of the warrant, you're an idiot. It's more than clear from the L-ruler and 2A card beside the box that they laid them out to show the contents of that particular box to document their findings and that they have a photo exactly like this for every box they found....and likely several for each box.

#Hoodwinked
08-31-2022 01:40 PM
tanqtonic Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: rice
(08-31-2022 01:23 PM)Redwingtom Wrote:  Seriously doubt there is anyone who thought the FBI actually walked into a room at MAL and found documents scattered across the floor like that. 01-wingedeagle

Im still looking for any person to explain the rationale of sequestering this style of a trove of acorns in their private house. Let alone hotel.

And then stonewalling on it. And ostensibly lying about it under oath in the letter sent to the Feds.

I can see the rationale if, say, Shaq gave the orange furred squirrel a memorabilia shoe, or something like like that. Its still debatable whether it is a Presidential item or not, probably not (like dozens of bejewelled scimitars and swords that Middle East leaders like to give Presidents).

But this squirrel tucked away scads of Top flipping Secret documents as his personal pile of nuts. Almost a thousand pages worth.

And when called out on it, lies in a letter under oath to the Feds on whether there are more. When the Feds do come back with a warrant, the items in questions arent under lock and key in a single room -- but in boxes in various rooms.

Its like I am watching an episode of the Watchmen, but having taking some good shrooms right before. And the weird thing is you have literally a score of people arguing that there isnt anything odd or wrong about it.

The other odd thing is that the same score of people are adamant 'law and order' types --- which I am as well. Except, I guess, when the odd things of squirreling away literally boxes of stuff that he has no right to in several rooms across his hotel/house is an issue. Then it becomes all hands on deck against 'law and order' on a very selective basis.

Its really entertaining.
08-31-2022 01:51 PM
Redwingtom Offline
Progressive filth

(08-31-2022 01:40 PM)UofMstateU Wrote:  

#Hoodwinked

Almost the one year anniversary!

https://csnbbs.com/thread-929444.html

Sit down, clown.
08-31-2022 02:07 PM
UofMstateU Offline
Legend

(08-31-2022 02:07 PM)Redwingtom Wrote:  
(08-31-2022 01:40 PM)UofMstateU Wrote:  

#Hoodwinked

Almost the one year anniversary!

https://csnbbs.com/thread-929444.html

Sit down, clown.

Yea, you might want to see whats happening in Iraq on the one year anniversary. You simply prove the point that Blinken was going to be asked to resign, didnt, and now look at what we have going on.
08-31-2022 02:21 PM
Advertisement

Eagleaidaholic Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-31-2022 01:51 PM)tanqtonic Wrote:  
(08-31-2022 01:23 PM)Redwingtom Wrote:  Seriously doubt there is anyone who thought the FBI actually walked into a room at MAL and found documents scattered across the floor like that. 01-wingedeagle

Im still looking for any person to explain the rationale of sequestering this style of a trove of acorns in their private house. Let alone hotel.

And then stonewalling on it. And ostensibly lying about it under oath in the letter sent to the Feds.

I can see the rationale if, say, Shaq gave the orange furred squirrel a memorabilia shoe, or something like like that. Its still debatable whether it is a Presidential item or not, probably not (like dozens of bejewelled scimitars and swords that Middle East leaders like to give Presidents).

But this squirrel tucked away scads of Top flipping Secret documents as his personal pile of nuts. Almost a thousand pages worth.

And when called out on it, lies in a letter under oath to the Feds on whether there are more. When the Feds do come back with a warrant, the items in questions arent under lock and key in a single room -- but in boxes in various rooms.

Its like I am watching an episode of the Watchmen, but having taking some good shrooms right before. And the weird thing is you have literally a score of people arguing that there isnt anything odd or wrong about it.

The other odd thing is that the same score of people are adamant 'law and order' types --- which I am as well. Except, I guess, when the odd things of squirreling away literally boxes of stuff that he has no right to in several rooms across his hotel/house is an issue. Then it becomes all hands on deck against 'law and order' on a very selective basis.

Its really entertaining.
They knew it was there. That is why they told him to get a better "lock". How do you look for something unless you know it was there? How many times do you have to be told this. And those docs were exponentially safer than being stored in the National Archives. Besides his predecessor did way worse than Trump. He took and actually destroyed documents. I know you have seen this also. This thread needs to stop. It is just a smokescreen for the terrible shape the country currently is in.
Obama gave the National Archives fits until they gave up.
Quote:…the accumulation of recent congressional testimony has made it clear that the Obama administration itself engaged in the wholesale destruction and “loss” of tens of thousands of government records covered under the act as well as the intentional evasion of the government records recording system by engaging in private email exchanges. So far, former President Obama, former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, former Attorney General Lynch and several EPA officials have been named as offenders. The IRS suffered record “losses” as well. Former federal prosecutor Andrew McCarthy called it “an unauthorized private communications system for official business for the patent purpose of defeating federal record-keeping and disclosure laws.”

Clearly, America’s National Archives is facing the first major challenge to its historic role in preserving the records of the United States. What good is the National Archives administering a presidential library, like the planned Obama library in Chicago, if it is missing critical records of interest to scholars? And what’s to prevent evasion of the entire federal records system by subsequent administrations to suit current politics rather than serve scholars for centuries to come?
08-31-2022 02:39 PM
tanqtonic Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-31-2022 02:39 PM)Eagleaidaholic Wrote:  

Its really entertaining.
They knew it was there. That is why they told him to get a better "lock". How do you look for something unless you know it was there? How many times do you have to be told this. And those docs were exponentially safer than being stored in the National Archives. Besides his predecessor did way worse than Trump. He took and actually destroyed documents. I know you have seen this also. This thread needs to stop. It is just a smokescreen for the terrible shape the country currently is in.
Quote:…the accumulation of recent congressional testimony has made it clear that the Obama administration itself engaged in the wholesale destruction and “loss” of tens of thousands of government records covered under the act as well as the intentional evasion of the government records recording system by engaging in private email exchanges. So far, former President Obama, former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, former Attorney General Lynch and several EPA officials have been named as offenders. The IRS suffered record “losses” as well. Former federal prosecutor Andrew McCarthy called it “an unauthorized private communications system for official business for the patent purpose of defeating federal record-keeping and disclosure laws.”

Clearly, America’s National Archives is facing the first major challenge to its historic role in preserving the records of the United States. What good is the National Archives administering a presidential library, like the planned Obama library in Chicago, if it is missing critical records of interest to scholars? And what’s to prevent evasion of the entire federal records system by subsequent administrations to suit current politics rather than serve scholars for centuries to come?

Aside from the excuses to the side issues, and the grand whadabouts that is the final act --- why did he have that stash of top secret flippin acorns there?

You studiously dont bother to answer that question. Amazingly.
08-31-2022 02:45 PM
Eagleaidaholic Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-31-2022 02:45 PM)tanqtonic Wrote:  

Its really entertaining.

Aside from the excuses to the side issues, and the grand whadabouts that is the final act --- why did he have that stash of top secret flippin acorns there?

Because President's take pshit with them when they leave. We have been over this 1000 times. They all take it. Hell, Obama signed the Presidential Records Act and took everything with him. Is his house being stormed next. Trump was President, he can take whatever he wants. He declassified it and was going to put it in his Presidential Library on the Vegas Strip. It's gotten ridiculous.
08-31-2022 03:05 PM
tanqtonic Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-31-2022 03:05 PM)Eagleaidaholic Wrote:  
(08-31-2022 02:45 PM)tanqtonic Wrote:  

Its really entertaining.

Because President's take pshit with them when they leave. We have been over this 1000 times. They all take it. Hell, Obama signed the Presidential Records Act and took everything with him. Is his house being stormed next. Trump was President, he can take whatever he wants. He declassified it and was going to put it in his Presidential Library on the Vegas Strip. It's gotten ridiculous.

No, no he cant. Simple issue of law.

So your answer is: Obama took silverware, that means Trump can take any Top Secret document he feels he wants. Got it. Still sounds stupid as rocks.

And no. PRA was enacted in 1978. Obama came just a couple of years after.
08-31-2022 03:09 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.