Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT: Last Dreadnought battleship is on the move!
49RFootballNow Offline
He who walks without rhythm

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
OT: Last Dreadnought battleship is on the move!
USS Texas heading to drydock for much needed repairs to her hull:

(This post was last modified: 08-31-2022 07:55 AM by 49RFootballNow.)
08-31-2022 07:54 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

49RFootballNow Offline
He who walks without rhythm

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
RE: OT: Last Dreadnought battleship is on the move!
Technically a "Super-Dreadnought" she is the only existing example of WWI era technology in battleships. In the mid-1970's the only other surviving Dreadnought style warship in existence was Turkey's Salim Sultan Yavuz, the former German battlecruiser SMS Geoben. When West Germany refused the gift of the ship as a Museum piece she went to the scrappers instead.
(This post was last modified: 08-31-2022 07:59 AM by 49RFootballNow.)
08-31-2022 07:56 AM
tanqtonic Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: rice
There has been a lot of concern if she can actually make it to Galveston for the refit.
08-31-2022 07:58 AM
rath v2.0 Online
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
(08-31-2022 07:58 AM)tanqtonic Wrote:  There has been a lot of concern if she can actually make it to Galveston for the refit.

You've never been around an old salt Navy Hull Tech. That foundation likely has a slew of old timers volunteering. She will get to Galveston just fine.
08-31-2022 10:05 AM
Advertisement

tanqtonic Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: rice
(08-31-2022 10:05 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  
(08-31-2022 07:58 AM)tanqtonic Wrote:  There has been a lot of concern if she can actually make it to Galveston for the refit.

You've never been around an old salt Navy Hull Tech. That foundation likely has a slew of old timers volunteering. She will get to Galveston just fine.

Glad to hear that. And glad to hear about the amount of volunteering going into the effort. The videos shown on the move here on Austin TV here made me smile. I had a neighbor when growing up that served on her, and I think of him fondly when I saw that.
08-31-2022 10:12 AM
GeminiCoog Online
You'll Never Walk Alone

I Root For: Houston, Notre Dame
Visiting Battleship Texas (and the San Jacinto Monument nearby) with my dad is one of my favorite memories as a child. It was that in addition to my dad's own service in the Navy that made me want to join the Navy. (The only reason I never did was my mom talked me into going to college instead.)
08-31-2022 10:18 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Owl 69/70/75 Online
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
In the Navy Reserve in the 1980s we came up with a program where our hull techs (welders, pipe fitters, and the like) would spend their drill weekends working on repairs and maintenance on the USS Texas rather than sitting around the reserve center watching victory at sea movies. Excellent training for them—until the Chief of Naval Reserve found out about it. Because Texas was no longer a commissioned Navy ship, we were ordered to cease and desist immediately, Not the biggest stupid decision the Navy has made, but among the stupidest.
08-31-2022 12:36 PM
MileHighBronco Offline
Legend

I Root For: Broncos
(08-31-2022 10:18 AM)GeminiCoog Wrote:  Visiting Battleship Texas (and the San Jacinto Monument nearby) with my dad is one of my favorite memories as a child. It was that in addition to my dad's own service in the Navy that made me want to join the Navy. (The only reason I never did was my mom talked me into going to college instead.)

Me, too!!

My family had a brief stint living in Texas in the early 60s. We went up there to visit and I still vividly remember that. I still have pictures of me sitting on an anti-aircraft gun. We did visit the San Jacinto Monument, but it paled in my mind to being on what seemed like an enormous ship. As an elementary student, I was just embarking on studying about the war on my own time.
08-31-2022 12:45 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.