Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

How Might an ACC/SEC Merger Work to Address Revenue and Realignment Issues?
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
How Might an ACC/SEC Merger Work to Address Revenue and Realignment Issues?
The SEC is poised to bust 80 million buy as early as 2024 or as late as 2026 depending upon when Oklahoma and Texas join.

The ACC is beginning to discuss revenue sharing.

Vanderbilt is family, but will struggle even more with NIL, Pay for Play, on Campus space for needed research expansion, and football facilities last updated in 1981.

Syracuse, Pitt and B.C. are in difficult positions with regard to realignment.

The SEC prefers not to share the SE or SW with the Big 10.

Solutions are few to the dilemmas we face.

I suggest one of these options:

1. The SEC and ACC merge and accept the following terms:

Boston College, Duke, Syracuse, Vanderbilt and Wake Forest will be all but football members or B-League Football members (explanation to follow).

The other 10 will be full football members.

This presupposes one issue which could impact Pitt. Either Pitt is taken by the B1G or Missouri and Kansas join Colorado, Utah, Cal, Oregon, Washington, Stanford in the Big 10.

ESPN also creates a B league SEC football conference which pays in the 30 million range. This conference includes the present B12 and will be where the non-Football members of the A league will play, if they decide to play football at all.

So, Arizona, Arizona State, Baylor, Brigham Young, Central Florida, Cincinnati, Houston, Iowa State, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, Texas Christian, Texas Tech and West Virginia all become B League members.

All members full A League, full B League, or simply non-football are full conference members for all else.

Add Tulane, Memphis, South Florida and Temple as non-A League Football members as well.

A League Football is shared on the SECN, B League Football on the converted ACCN and bundled giving all B League subscribers full carriage and exposure across the entire new footprint. B League Football schools have access to the upper tier CFP. They are only B League to prevent, or at least present, disparity in football revenue as an aspect which does not prevent full inclusion in anything else.

Hoops, baseball, softball, all other sports share revenue, schedules, tournaments, etc.

So, you would have a check to A League Football in the 80 million plus range.

A check to B League Football in the 30 million plus range.

A check to each for T3 subscription channels from ESPN

And a check to all for all other sports.

Notre Dame would be independent and could schedule with any of the above.

OR>>>

2. Just the 10 football A League members are added after Pitt or Missouri's fate is known.

Thoughts? I'm just looking for acceptable work arounds which disrupt as little as possible.
(This post was last modified: 08-05-2022 03:05 PM by JRsec.)
08-05-2022 03:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Hallcity Offline
1st String

I Root For: Duke
RE: How Might an ACC/SEC Merger Work to Address Revenue and Realignment Issues?
(08-05-2022 03:00 PM)JRsec Wrote:  The SEC is poised to bust 80 million buy as early as 2024 or as late as 2026 depending upon when Oklahoma and Texas join.

Vanderbilt is family, but will struggle even more with NIL, Pay for Play, on Campus space for needed research expansion, and football facilities last updated in 1981.

Boston College, Duke, Syracuse, Vanderbilt and Wake Forest will be all but football members or B-League Football members (explanation to follow).

This presupposes one issue which could impact Pitt. Either Pitt is taken by the B1G or Missouri and Kansas join Colorado, Utah, Cal, Oregon, Washington, Stanford in the Big 10.

ESPN also creates a B league SEC football conference which pays in the 30 million range. This conference includes the present B12 and will be where the non-Football members of the A league will play, if they decide to play football at all.

So, Arizona, Arizona State, Baylor, Brigham Young, Central Florida, Cincinnati, Houston, Iowa State, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, Texas Christian, Texas Tech and West Virginia all become B League members.

All members full A League, full B League, or simply non-football are full conference members for all else.

Add Tulane, Memphis, South Florida and Temple as non-A League Football members as well.

A League Football is shared on the SECN, B League Football on the converted ACCN and bundled giving all B League subscribers full carriage and exposure across the entire new footprint. B League Football schools have access to the upper tier CFP. They are only B League to prevent, or at least present, disparity in football revenue as an aspect which does not prevent full inclusion in anything else.

Hoops, baseball, softball, all other sports share revenue, schedules, tournaments, etc.

OR>>>

2. Just the 10 football A League members are added after Pitt or Missouri's fate is known.

Thoughts? I'm just looking for acceptable work arounds which disrupt as little as possible.

This is fantasy. Get a grip.
08-05-2022 06:04 PM
Wahoowa84 Offline
All American

I Root For: UVa
This puts the B1G and SEC at 24 or 26 teams each? Why would ESPN and Fox act as benefactors (funding A-level media payout increases to an additional 16 teams)?
08-05-2022 06:19 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(08-05-2022 06:19 PM)Wahoowa84 Wrote:  This puts the B1G and SEC at 24 or 26 teams each? Why would ESPN and Fox act as benefactors (funding A-level media payout increases to an additional 16 teams)?

They are looking at the value of a contained and measured product designed to deliver brand on brand matchups in heavier doses which are built in to major markets. 1.2 billion each in inventory expenses buys them a post season worth over 3 billion in an expanded CFP, and another billion in hoops. And this doesn't address the added revenue of 14 weeks of regular season games which would easily draw 5 million for prime time and afternoon slots. The B League costs them no more than the ACC, B12, and PAC does now x 3. In fact 38 schools would be whittled down to 20, 16 would be promoted. The whole cost of the promotion is 8 x 40 million for each of FOX and ESPN, plus the bump the SEC and B1G schools get. Still the post season ROI when couple with the regular season ROI is why.
08-05-2022 06:36 PM
Pervis_Griffith Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisville
I'm not sure I am smart enough to follow that. I've read it twice, and I am still fuzzy on it.

One thought I had involving both the SEC and ACC -- and tapping into what is seemingly super popular with the Premier League soccer in England -- is setting up Relegation between the two conferences.

Year 1 --- Vandy (hopelessly at the bottom of the SEC) would be relegated to the ACC after finishing last in the SEC. While Clemson (or Pitt or whoever won the ACC) earns their way into the SEC.

In year 2 though, with Vandy in the ACC, who would the SEC basement dweller be -- Missouri? Or South Carolina? Or whoever won the ACC in year 1??? Whoever it was, would find themselves in the ACC.

The aspect of "losing one's spot" will bring added eyeballs to the conference games where teams are struggling to not finish last. And the ACC championship would find a new reason for the casual fan to watch -- because the winner would be going to the SEC the next year.

I don't fully understand relegation in English soccer (how many teams get moved down or up in a season? Is it only 1? Or can there be multiple teams moving each year?), but I know my friends who follow English soccer are practically fanatical about it.

With ESPN owning the rights to both conferences including their networks, it seems like if relegation was ever going to be something, it could be in this instance.

07-coffee3
08-05-2022 06:47 PM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
(08-05-2022 06:04 PM)Hallcity Wrote:  This is fantasy. Get a grip.

Isn’t everything on a message board?
08-05-2022 07:03 PM
Advertisement

XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
(08-05-2022 07:03 PM)CardinalJim Wrote:  

Isn’t everything on a message board?

03-lmfao
08-05-2022 07:33 PM
NoQuarterBrigade Offline
Go Damn Pirates!!!!!

I Root For: ECU & the AAC
(08-05-2022 03:00 PM)JRsec Wrote:  The SEC is poised to bust 80 million buy as early as 2024 or as late as 2026 depending upon when Oklahoma and Texas join.

OR>>>

Just go to a Promotion and Relegation Model and save yourself the headache. In a sense, promotion and relegation has been going on in college football since almost the beginning. It’s just not called that. It’s been cloaked all along under the guise of rankings.

Teams get “promoted” to a higher status each time they get a W, and relegated to lower position each time they get an L. The same can be said with the hierarchy of conferences, like what we are seeing now. You’re promoted and relegated based on your brand and value.

The differences between the two models is the American version is much crueler and cutthroat. And the English version is more structured and balanced. It’s far less biased, and doesn’t discriminate between names and brands or where you came from. It does a better job at rewarding performance and achievement because it’s not influenced by rankings that are overly opinionated and fraught with personal biases.

The English Pro-Rel model is much easier to divide the schools up into groups and align them appropriately with the schools most similar to them. As opposed to this nonsense we’re seeing today where everybody is waiting around for the next conference to flinch or make a move. There’s no end to this conference realignment. It’s an inevitable consequence that comes along every time these conferences start negotiating their next media rights deal.
08-05-2022 09:36 PM
Gitanole Offline
Barista

I Root For: Florida State

(08-05-2022 07:03 PM)CardinalJim Wrote:  Isn’t everything on a message board?

You mean conference commissioners and media execs aren't poring over each of our posts for sage advice?

Dang. That's my favorite message-board fantasy.

07-coffee3
08-06-2022 02:07 AM
Gitanole Offline
Barista

I Root For: Florida State
(08-05-2022 06:47 PM)Pervis_Griffith Wrote:  One thought I had involving both the SEC and ACC -- and tapping into what is seemingly super popular with the Premier League soccer in England -- is setting up Relegation between the two conferences.

I'm for that. I feel it follows naturally once an A League (Fox/B1G + ESPN/SEC) and B League (ACC/PAC/B12 survivors) both exist.

As you say, relegation increases fan interest in games that might not otherwise be huge draws. And it addresses lingering fairness/ fan interest questions, such as 'Why is Pitt on the bubble and Vandy not?'

Question for JR: That's a detailed imagining of possibilities. Have you had a chance to consider more about how the postseason might work in this arrangement? Does the B League champ get an automatic playoff spot against A League teams? Might the B League place both of its title finalists in a 12- to 16-team playoff, provided certain W-L standards are met?
08-06-2022 02:22 AM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
European soccer organization will not happen in college athletics. That’s a fantasy for you soccer bois. What’s more likely is in 50 years UNC is hanging soccer natty banners (is that a thing?) by taking out schools in their current football stadiums.
08-06-2022 06:10 AM
Advertisement

green Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Miami
Quote:ESPN “College GameDay” analyst Kirk Herbstreit said he sees a college football realignment scenario that ends with three power conferences.

“The more I listen and more I’m talking to people, I wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t settle, ultimately, with three power conferences,” Herbstreit said.

He takes into consideration the teams left out of the realignment talk as well as Notre Dame.

“I don’t know what’s going to happen with Notre Dame,” Herbstreit admits. “But, for argument’s sake, if they eventually give in and go to the Big Ten, that would put the Big Ten at 17. You know the Big Ten is going to get one more or two more, right?

“So that will change things dramatically.”

In the end, he says, those left out of the Big Ten and SEC will join a third conference.

“What I want to know is what happens to those left out of the 55 or 60 teams,” he said.

https://www.al.com/sec/2022/07/kirk-herb...ences.html

THE STREET ALWAYS WINS
(This post was last modified: 08-06-2022 07:01 AM by green.)
08-06-2022 07:00 AM
green Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Miami
(08-05-2022 03:00 PM)JRsec Wrote:  Vanderbilt is family, but will struggle even more with NIL, Pay for Play, on Campus space for needed research expansion, and football facilities last updated in 1981.

https://twitter.com/flugempire/status/15...0472896512

PLAY TO YOUR STRENGTHS
08-06-2022 07:25 AM
NoQuarterBrigade Offline
Go Damn Pirates!!!!!

I Root For: ECU & the AAC
(08-06-2022 06:10 AM)esayem Wrote:  European soccer organization will not happen in college athletics. That’s a fantasy for you soccer bois. What’s more likely is in 50 years UNC is hanging soccer natty banners (is that a thing?) by taking out schools in their current football stadiums.

Has nothing to do with soccer. It’s the model. It’s just applying a more rational approach to a chaotic process that’s going to take years to sort itself. You got all of these conferences slowly consolidating marquee brands to the top. And then the question arises, what about Vandy or Rutgers? They haven’t earned any of this. How do we deal with them? Well let’s look at the revenue sharing. And it goes on and on.

And when it’s all finally sorted out, you got your 40 or 50 schools or “brands” altogether, the plan is to break away or separate and form your own league. What?!

I’m sorry to rain on all of your parades. It’s not going to play out exactly like that. You have all of these other schools that have collectively spent billions of dollars to participate at the FBS level. They are not just going to roll over and take it.
08-06-2022 07:38 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(08-06-2022 02:22 AM)Gitanole Wrote:  
(08-05-2022 06:47 PM)Pervis_Griffith Wrote:  One thought I had involving both the SEC and ACC -- and tapping into what is seemingly super popular with the Premier League soccer in England -- is setting up Relegation between the two conferences.

I'm for that. I feel it follows naturally once an A League (Fox/B1G + ESPN/SEC) and B League (ACC/PAC/B12 survivors) both exist.

As you say, relegation increases fan interest in games that might not otherwise be huge draws. And it addresses lingering fairness/ fan interest questions, such as 'Why is Pitt on the bubble and Vandy not?'

Question for JR: That's a detailed imagining of possibilities. Have you had a chance to consider more about how the postseason might work in this arrangement? Does the B League champ get an automatic playoff spot against A League teams? Might the B League place both of its title finalists in a 12- to 16-team playoff, provided certain W-L standards are met?

Without access there is no incentive for a B League to even form. Yes it would have access of at least its champion. After that at large bids would be given on perceived strength.

The B League concept would be in play for the Big Ten as well.

Understand it would exist only for football. In each of the SEC and B1G baseball/hockey, basketball and all other sports would be shared among the larger grouping. It is a tool to allow for different football payouts to exist while all other sports affiliations are shared.

This enhances especially Big Ten baseball with West Coast schools affiliated, and their hockey with Northeastern schools included.

For the SEC it really boosts hoops and makes baseball and softball monster sports.

It is simply a way to have a much broader inclusion than the pathway others are willing to imagine where there is organization for Big Ten and SEC high dollar football and a third conference of lesser paid football survivors. And such a construct as I am proposing not only allows for football segregation by payout, which is what the networks are doing with consolidation, but it maintains a nexus for all other sports in a breakaway from the NCAA which monetizes everything more efficiently while keeping historical relationships together and not sacrificing them to simply advance football.
(This post was last modified: 08-06-2022 07:57 AM by JRsec.)
08-06-2022 07:55 AM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
(08-06-2022 07:38 AM)NoQuarterBrigade Wrote:  
(08-06-2022 06:10 AM)esayem Wrote:  European soccer organization will not happen in college athletics. That’s a fantasy for you soccer bois. What’s more likely is in 50 years UNC is hanging soccer natty banners (is that a thing?) by taking out schools in their current football stadiums.

Has nothing to do with soccer. It’s the model. It’s just applying a more rational approach to a chaotic process that’s going to take years to sort itself. You got all of these conferences slowly consolidating marquee brands to the top. And then the question arises, what about Vandy or Rutgers? They haven’t earned any of this. How do we deal with them? Well let’s look at the revenue sharing. And it goes on and on.

And when it’s all finally sorted out, you got your 40 or 50 schools or “brands” altogether, the plan is to break away or separate and form your own league. What?!

I’m sorry to rain on all of your parades. It’s not going to play out exactly like that. You have all of these other schools that have collectively spent billions of dollars to participate at the FBS level. They are not just going to roll over and take it.

What’s far more simple is the NCAA allowing football to join a separate organization if they wish. Or even another tier with stricter guidelines.

This is not a new concept, but one that has been around for 50 years or more.
08-06-2022 10:30 AM
Advertisement

Wahoowa84 Offline
All American

I Root For: UVa
(08-05-2022 06:36 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(08-05-2022 06:19 PM)Wahoowa84 Wrote:  This puts the B1G and SEC at 24 or 26 teams each? Why would ESPN and Fox act as benefactors (funding A-level media payout increases to an additional 16 teams)?

They are looking at the value of a contained and measured product designed to deliver brand on brand matchups in heavier doses which are built in to major markets. 1.2 billion each in inventory expenses buys them a post season worth over 3 billion in an expanded CFP, and another billion in hoops. And this doesn't address the added revenue of 14 weeks of regular season games which would easily draw 5 million for prime time and afternoon slots. The B League costs them no more than the ACC, B12, and PAC does now x 3. In fact 38 schools would be whittled down to 20, 16 would be promoted. The whole cost of the promotion is 8 x 40 million for each of FOX and ESPN, plus the bump the SEC and B1G schools get. Still the post season ROI when couple with the regular season ROI is why.

Kudos for designing a solution that actually addresses the Gordian Knot that is the ACC GOR. There are no financial losers amongst individual ACC members. Whether it’s Notre Dame or Boston College or Wake Forest, this option brings stability without having to jump into a financial abyss.

Still skeptical that media companies could be so bold as to fund such a massive restructuring of P5 football…into a predictable P3. But the forthcoming CFP expansion probably will be the unique window of opportunity.
08-06-2022 01:54 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(08-06-2022 01:54 PM)Wahoowa84 Wrote:  

Kudos for designing a solution that actually addresses the Gordian Knot that is the ACC GOR. There are no financial losers amongst individual ACC members. Whether it’s Notre Dame or Boston College or Wake Forest, this option brings stability without having to jump into a financial abyss.

Still skeptical that media companies could be so bold as to fund such a massive restructuring of P5 football…into a predictable P3. But the forthcoming CFP expansion probably will be the unique window of opportunity.

Well, the point of the thread is to not just let media companies anxious for profits shoehorn us into a P3 when there should be alternatives available that with some degree of media cooperation could help us keep historical relationships and regional rivalries intact. Obviously, they can't pay Wake Forest what Clemson is worth. So why not design a system which profits from Clemson's brand, but which in ways extraneous to football, keeps all other relations intact.

The concession is football restructuring. How you do that can either destroy a century plus of synergy or use it to keep a higher volume of regional interest which baseball and basketball can be structured to provide at relatively little added expense considering the tangential benefit of not alienating fans.
(This post was last modified: 08-06-2022 02:13 PM by JRsec.)
08-06-2022 02:11 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(08-06-2022 02:11 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(08-06-2022 01:54 PM)Wahoowa84 Wrote:  

Well, the point of the thread is to not just let media companies anxious for profits shoehorn us into a P3 when there should be alternatives available that with some degree of media cooperation could help us keep historical relationships and regional rivalries intact. Obviously, they can't pay Wake Forest what Clemson is worth. So why not design a system which profits from Clemson's brand, but which in ways extraneous to football, keeps all other relations intact.

The concession is football restructuring. How you do that can either destroy a century plus of synergy or use it to keep a higher volume of regional interest which baseball and basketball can be structured to provide at relatively little added expense considering the tangential benefit of not alienating fans.

What a concept!
08-06-2022 02:18 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jtwvu87 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: WVU & Texas A&M Univ

OR>>>

Just Stop.
03-lmfao
08-07-2022 05:38 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.