Get ready to build better back baby
07-27-2022 05:21 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
RE: Manchin caved
That will do anything but reduce Inflation.
07-27-2022 05:23 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
Lets see what happens when his phone starts ringing off the wall with unhappy constituents.
07-27-2022 05:24 PM
boss man Offline
The Collapse is Imminent

I Root For: MEMPHIS TIGERS
Manchin is 74 and probably will not run again in 2026.

I presume Sinema is also a YES vote.

Also, this bill is far from the disastrous BILLED BACK BITTER bill. Manchin was obviously a huge help in killing that bill; that alone is a damn good thing.
07-27-2022 05:36 PM
Bear Catlett Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC
Let the liberal pork flow !!!

Government money isn't real money anyway, right???
07-27-2022 05:52 PM
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

Manchin Reaches Deal With Schumer on $670B 'Inflation Reduction Act'

Quote:Democratic West Virginia Senator Joe Manchin announced Wednesday that he has reached a $670 billion deal with Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY) on a bill Democrats are touting as the “Inflation Reduction Act.” Last year, Manchin’s refusal to vote for President Biden’s massive $3 trillion “Build Back Better” bill effectively killed the measure. He worried that the BBB plan would cause a further increase in the inflation rate. Details of his new agreement with Schumer are still emerging, but it seems clear that it will be far less expansive than what Schumer originally envisioned.

In a statement, Manchin wrote: “The Inflation Reduction Act of 2022 will address record inflation by paying down our national debt, lowering energy costs and lowering healthcare costs.”

Manchin continued:

Over the last year, leaders in Washington have ignored repeated warnings about the severe threat of inflation and the consequences of unprecedented domestic spending. Despite these concerns and my calls to give the country time to fully realize the impacts of such historic levels of spending and our inflation crisis, many Democrats have continued to push for trillions more in spending to meet a political deadline. As difficult as it is for some to hear, political calls to action that ignore the severity of the crises we face and will continue to face are a recipe for national disaster.

The senator, still recovering after a positive COVID diagnosis, has been a thorn in the side of Democrats and the Biden Administration, refusing to back the removal of the filibuster and also differing with his colleagues on a number of bills, including one legalizing abortion up until birth that he found too extreme.

He talks a good game:

We must be honest about the economic reality America now faces if we want to avoid fanning the flames of inflation. At its core, the purpose of reconciliation is to get our economic and financial house in order. Contrary to foolish talk otherwise, America cannot spend its way out of debt or out of inflation. With respect to my position, I have never and will never walk away from solving the problems facing the nation we all love. I strongly support the passage of commonsense policies that reduce inflation and focus on the major challenges confronting America today and in the future.

One of the ways he wants to accomplish his goals is through tax policy. “In practical terms, the Inflation Reduction Act of 2022 would dedicate hundreds of billions of dollars to deficit reduction by adopting a tax policy that protects small businesses and working-class Americans while ensuring that large corporations and the ultra-wealthy pay their fair share in taxes.” Let’s hope that’s not code for, “we’re going to jack up your taxes further!”

Many are concerned that Manchin just gave away the farm:

On energy, he at least sounds somewhat reasonable:

I support a plan that will advance a realistic energy and climate policy that lowers prices today and strategically invests in the long game. As the super power of the world, it is vital we not undermine our super power status by removing dependable and affordable fossil fuel energy before new technologies are ready to reliably carry the load.

According to The Hill:

The bill would invest $369 billion in energy climate programs over the next 10 years and $300 billion to reduce the deficit. It would be added to legislation to lower prescription drug prices and extend expiring health care subsidies.

The deal will be part of the budget reconciliation package that Senate Democrats plan to bring to the floor next week and pass on a party-line vote, circumventing a Republican filibuster under special Senate rules.

Biden has weighed in on the agreement:

CNN has described the accord as “a major boost to Democrats,” but as professional Biden Administration cheerleaders, it’s hard to take their word seriously. As we’ve repeatedly discovered in recent years, the full effects of legislation don’t become apparent until sometimes years later, often because lawmakers don’t even know exactly what they’re passing.

New details about this “Inflation Reduction Act” will continue to emerge. Let’s hope Manchin hasn’t sold us out.
07-27-2022 06:21 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

maximus Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
Manchin caved
Bwhahahaha you can't make this **** up.

"The Inflation Reduction Act"

Bwhahahaha
Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
(This post was last modified: 07-27-2022 06:32 PM by maximus.)
07-27-2022 06:32 PM
BlueDragon Away
Heisman

I Root For: TSU
Printing more money reduces inflation? Universities need to change Economics 101 to fit the narrative.
07-27-2022 06:45 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(07-27-2022 06:21 PM)CrimsonPhantom Wrote:  Manchin Reaches Deal With Schumer on $670B 'Inflation Reduction Act'

Quote:Democratic West Virginia Senator Joe Manchin announced Wednesday that he has reached a $670 billion deal with Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY) on a bill Democrats are touting as the “Inflation Reduction Act.” Last year, Manchin’s refusal to vote for President Biden’s massive $3 trillion “Build Back Better” bill effectively killed the measure. He worried that the BBB plan would cause a further increase in the inflation rate. Details of his new agreement with Schumer are still emerging, but it seems clear that it will be far less expansive than what Schumer originally envisioned.

In a statement, Manchin wrote: “The Inflation Reduction Act of 2022 will address record inflation by paying down our national debt, lowering energy costs and lowering healthcare costs.”

Manchin continued:

Over the last year, leaders in Washington have ignored repeated warnings about the severe threat of inflation and the consequences of unprecedented domestic spending. Despite these concerns and my calls to give the country time to fully realize the impacts of such historic levels of spending and our inflation crisis, many Democrats have continued to push for trillions more in spending to meet a political deadline. As difficult as it is for some to hear, political calls to action that ignore the severity of the crises we face and will continue to face are a recipe for national disaster.

The senator, still recovering after a positive COVID diagnosis, has been a thorn in the side of Democrats and the Biden Administration, refusing to back the removal of the filibuster and also differing with his colleagues on a number of bills, including one legalizing abortion up until birth that he found too extreme.

He talks a good game:

We must be honest about the economic reality America now faces if we want to avoid fanning the flames of inflation. At its core, the purpose of reconciliation is to get our economic and financial house in order. Contrary to foolish talk otherwise, America cannot spend its way out of debt or out of inflation. With respect to my position, I have never and will never walk away from solving the problems facing the nation we all love. I strongly support the passage of commonsense policies that reduce inflation and focus on the major challenges confronting America today and in the future.

One of the ways he wants to accomplish his goals is through tax policy. “In practical terms, the Inflation Reduction Act of 2022 would dedicate hundreds of billions of dollars to deficit reduction by adopting a tax policy that protects small businesses and working-class Americans while ensuring that large corporations and the ultra-wealthy pay their fair share in taxes.” Let’s hope that’s not code for, “we’re going to jack up your taxes further!”

Many are concerned that Manchin just gave away the farm:

On energy, he at least sounds somewhat reasonable:

I support a plan that will advance a realistic energy and climate policy that lowers prices today and strategically invests in the long game. As the super power of the world, it is vital we not undermine our super power status by removing dependable and affordable fossil fuel energy before new technologies are ready to reliably carry the load.

According to The Hill:

The bill would invest $369 billion in energy climate programs over the next 10 years and $300 billion to reduce the deficit. It would be added to legislation to lower prescription drug prices and extend expiring health care subsidies.

The deal will be part of the budget reconciliation package that Senate Democrats plan to bring to the floor next week and pass on a party-line vote, circumventing a Republican filibuster under special Senate rules.

Biden has weighed in on the agreement:

CNN has described the accord as “a major boost to Democrats,” but as professional Biden Administration cheerleaders, it’s hard to take their word seriously. As we’ve repeatedly discovered in recent years, the full effects of legislation don’t become apparent until sometimes years later, often because lawmakers don’t even know exactly what they’re passing.

New details about this “Inflation Reduction Act” will continue to emerge. Let’s hope Manchin hasn’t sold us out.

Seriously----how you gunna reduce inflation by increasing energy prices and adding a new 15% fee to everything corporations make. By the way Joe---corporations arent people---they dont really "pay" taxes. Corporations are economic entities and just pass all their costs on to their customers. CUSTOMERS pay taxes---corporations just collect them and pass them on to the IRS.
(This post was last modified: 07-27-2022 07:01 PM by Attackcoog.)
07-27-2022 07:00 PM
TigerBlue4Ever Offline
Unapologetic A-hole

I Root For: yo mama
Sold down the river again.
07-27-2022 07:47 PM
chrisd11 Offline
I came to party!!

I Root For: short skirts
So the Dem government's answer to inflation is to print 680 billion more dollars...

Brilliant
07-27-2022 08:31 PM
Advertisement

ODUsmitty Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
Joe Manchin was creating a very nice legacy for himself as one of the few adults in the room when it came to voting on legislation his party was pushing but not favorable to those that put him in office.

It is very unfortunate and disappointing that he chose to make a deal with Schumer to get a compromise bill that apparently will pass. Spending more does not lessen inflation, spending on leftist globalist agenda items like climate change wastes taxpayer money and cedes our sovereignty to non-citizens, and making a deal with the Devil (Schumer) shows that your soul is for sale, and will remain the "bacon strip" in Manchin's underwear that he will NEVER be able to wash clean.

F you Manchin, you are just like all the other swamp critters.
07-27-2022 11:36 PM
BlueDragon Away
Heisman

I Root For: TSU
Let’s review place high tax on large corporation and say see we didn’t tax general public. Large Corporations raise prices to cover the taxes and pass on the savings to the general public. Democratic Government thinks general public is too stupid to catch on. They may be right!
07-27-2022 11:44 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
They got jokes....that press release says they achieved $1.7 Trillion in deficit reduction
07-28-2022 05:59 AM
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

Don't Count Your Chickens on Manchin-Schumer Deal: Sinema May Be the Wrench in the Plan

Quote:But this may not be a done deal yet.

Sen. Kyrsten Sinema (D-AZ) is not yet on board with this, and the deal raises issues that she’s had a problem with in the past. It’s a little astonishing that they didn’t get her on board before acting like this was a done deal.

They could probably whip the House SALT folks into line, but Sinema has had concerns with some of what is being proposed here.

They may be hoping with the announcement, with Manchin all in, now the pressure will be on her and any other potential stragglers to get in line and that she’ll fall in line.

But so far, she’s not talking yet, which may mean there’s still some hope that she wouldn’t cave as well.

Her office has said that she will need to review the text before she can comment.

Republicans are also disturbed because they just voted for the chips and science bill, which they would have blocked if they knew that a reconciliation bill like this was coming down the pike. Sen. John Cornyn (R-TX) said this would devastate Americans.

“Senate Democrats can change the name of Build Back Broke as many times as they want, it won’t be any less devastating to American families and small businesses,” Cornyn said. “Raising taxes on job creators, crushing energy producers with new regulations, and stifling innovators looking for new cures will only make this recession worse, not better.”

So, we’ll have to wait and see what the color of the smoke is out of the Sinema chimney. But let’s hope it’s black–because this would be a killer when we’re already on the brink of a recession.
07-28-2022 01:09 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
Manchin doesn't have to worry about reelection in 2024 because he is old and apparently doesn't want the job anymore. Sinema does.

Having said that I highly doubt she hold it up for more than an sweetener she wants

Think Cornhusker Kickback
07-28-2022 01:20 PM
Advertisement

Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
Prediction: at least 3 of the AOC/Squad-types in the House will vote against this.
(This post was last modified: 07-28-2022 01:27 PM by Native Georgian.)
07-28-2022 01:27 PM
DaSaintFan Offline
Dum' Sutherner in Midwest!

I Root For: Southern Miss
(07-27-2022 05:21 PM)solohawks Wrote:  https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congres...d_bn_tw_bn

lets' not forget.. Manchin was willing to sign the "BBB" bill if Biden* and company had reduced it from like 3T to 1.2T at the time. So for him to agree to this shoudln't really come as a surprise.
07-28-2022 02:29 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
(07-28-2022 02:29 PM)DaSaintFan Wrote:  
(07-27-2022 05:21 PM)solohawks Wrote:  https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congres...d_bn_tw_bn

lets' not forget.. Manchin was willing to sign the "BBB" bill if Biden* and company had reduced it from like 3T to 1.2T at the time. So for him to agree to this shoudln't really come as a surprise.
True. And I heard Manchin was willing to go up as high as $1.5-$1.8T. This bill is a lot less than that.

But I’ll say again: beware of the House of Representatives. It is not a slam-dunk whether they will pass this bill, or not. A lot of the far-left types genuinely hate Manchin for being the fly in the ointment these past 12 months. They won’t necessarily vote for this, unless it includes some goodies for them. Whether it does is unclear at the moment.
07-28-2022 02:41 PM
49RFootballNow Offline
He who walks without rhythm

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
Wait.........so all this time..........Manchin WAS STILL A POLITICIAN?

No WAY!

07-coffee3
(This post was last modified: 07-28-2022 03:06 PM by 49RFootballNow.)
07-28-2022 02:45 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.