Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ACC can dissolve with majority votes (8), voiding GOR
dgrace4cards Offline
All American

I Root For: UL
ACC can dissolve with majority votes (8), voiding GOR
Our AD (UofL) seems to have made some news this weekend with some quotes to Tim Sullivan of the local paper, regarding the conference could dissolve with a majority vote...not super majority, of which would also void the GOR...and ND can be counted as one of the votes...The Minnesota Gopher guy Greg Fluguar who seems to be all over the realignment news these days, dove deep into it yesterday and again on it this morning...

https://twitter.com/flugempire/status/15...06vh2hd5rA
07-17-2022 08:36 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

domer1978 Offline
All American

I Root For: Notre Dame/Chaos
RE: ACC can dissolve with majority votes (8), voiding GOR
If true, that is a bit of leverage for the ACC. Will they use it?
07-17-2022 10:24 AM
Hallcity Offline
1st String

I Root For: Duke
(07-17-2022 08:36 AM)dgrace4cards Wrote:  Our AD (UofL) seems to have made some news this weekend with some quotes to Tim Sullivan of the local paper, regarding the conference could dissolve with a majority vote...not super majority, of which would also void the GOR...and ND can be counted as one of the votes...The Minnesota Gopher guy Greg Fluguar who seems to be all over the realignment news these days, dove deep into it yesterday and again on it this morning...

What makes you think Louisville would be attractive to the Big Ten or SEC? Seriously, the ACC is Louisville’s life raft. You should stop rocking the boat.
07-17-2022 10:32 AM
OrangeDude Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Syracuse
(07-17-2022 10:32 AM)Hallcity Wrote:  
(07-17-2022 08:36 AM)dgrace4cards Wrote:  Our AD (UofL) seems to have made some news this weekend with some quotes to Tim Sullivan of the local paper, regarding the conference could dissolve with a majority vote...not super majority, of which would also void the GOR...and ND can be counted as one of the votes...The Minnesota Gopher guy Greg Fluguar who seems to be all over the realignment news these days, dove deep into it yesterday and again on it this morning...

What makes you think Louisville would be attractive to the Big Ten or SEC? Seriously, the ACC is Louisville’s life raft. You should stop rocking the boat.

I will give the Louisville AD, who I believe has only been in the job for like 6-7 months, the benefit of the doubt here and assume the comment was made more in relation to getting a new TV deal than wanting out for a slight chance they will go to the SEC.

It's hard to imagine IF true, the ADs at FSU, Clemson, UNC, Miami, and other programs ahead of the Cards in the pecking order haven't "leaked" this info already.

Cheers,
Neil
07-17-2022 10:54 AM
green Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Miami
Quote:There is no language in the ACC’s bylaws and constitution covering dissolution of the conference, other than a standard boilerplate clause about the distribution of property. The North Carolina law governing the dissolution of nonprofits would theoretically apply, requiring only a majority of voting members to agree to it. (Notre Dame, for some reason, gets a full vote and not 20 percent of a vote, even though it only gets a one-fifth share of revenue. That has never been sufficiently explained.)

https://www.hastingstribune.com/sports/c...4aaf4.html

DIVINE PROVIDENCE
07-17-2022 11:04 AM
dgrace4cards Offline
All American

I Root For: UL

Where in my post did you see me promoting UofL to any other conference? You're a one sport school with your life raft being UNC, is the more appropriate observation here... I think, like Josh also said here in the article, that its more about the ACC strengthening the TV deal....whether that's ACC only, ACC/PAC combo, or other....that's all being worked out behind the scenes right now.

Heird was interim for about 5 months, just became permanent in early June.
07-17-2022 11:22 AM
Advertisement

GTFletch Offline
All American

I Root For: Georgia Tech

Straight from the article:

“I think that they (ESPN) understand that the ACC has to be extremely healthy for college athletics to be successful,” Heird said of ESPN. “And so I think they do feel an obligation to make sure that transpires. Not every decision — it’s hard to believe — is based on the bottom line. At some point, we’re going to need more than the SEC and the Big Ten, 32 teams, to make college athletics viable.” -athletic director Josh Heird

One option reportedly being explored is a partnership between the ACC and the remaining Pac-12 members that could enhance both leagues’ television revenue without necessitating some of the additional expenses of a merger (or a raid) involving schools separated by three time zones.

The ACC is going to be just fine! To many SEC homers starting rumors!
(This post was last modified: 07-17-2022 12:13 PM by GTFletch.)
07-17-2022 12:12 PM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
If the SEC is willing to go to 24 entirely out of the ACC (+/- Kansas), that blows up the GoR right there.
07-17-2022 03:07 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC

Without the Carpathia all of those in the lifeboat die of exposure. People forget that lifeboats at sea don't save you. They prolong your death hopefully long enough for a rescue, but a rescuer is still needed, and in time!

I found an extremely interesting agenda tidbit when reading the lead up to SEC media days. Sankey has dropped the vote and approval on scheduling which had been worked out to include Oklahoma and Texas, who are indeed joining, because he said the SEC didn't need to move forward until other things are known.

The short take is why vote on a schedule for 16 when we may have more. We'll see.
(This post was last modified: 07-17-2022 03:23 PM by JRsec.)
07-17-2022 03:18 PM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
(07-17-2022 03:07 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  If the SEC is willing to go to 24 entirely out of the ACC (+/- Kansas), that blows up the GoR right there.

Agree. Which is why to me that the SEC taking 8 just blows everything up. There's your 8 votes, without even needing a vote from Notre Dame.
07-18-2022 01:33 AM
GarnetAndBlue Offline
1st String

I Root For: Retired
(07-18-2022 01:33 AM)ClairtonPanther Wrote:  
(07-17-2022 03:07 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  If the SEC is willing to go to 24 entirely out of the ACC (+/- Kansas), that blows up the GoR right there.

Agree. Which is why to me that the SEC taking 8 just blows everything up. There's your 8 votes, without even needing a vote from Notre Dame.

How sure is everyone about 8 votes blowing up the iron-clad GoR? It would seem to be a no-brainer move at this stage in the arms race. Otherwise is the SEC THAT confident that the B1G won’t do it? It would be a devastating blow to the losing side.
07-18-2022 06:02 AM
Advertisement

green Offline
Hall of Famer

https://twitter.com/wilnerhotline/status...8296964096

4 for you ...
4 for me ...

DIVVY UP THE SPOILS
07-18-2022 06:20 AM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
(07-18-2022 06:02 AM)GarnetAndBlue Wrote:  

How sure is everyone about 8 votes blowing up the iron-clad GoR? It would seem to be a no-brainer move at this stage in the arms race. Otherwise is the SEC THAT confident that the B1G won’t do it? It would be a devastating blow to the losing side.

Considering that ESPN is tied into the GOR countless times, I have to assume that those 8 specific votes are tied to ESPN; therefore, all 8 would be going to the SEC.
07-18-2022 07:10 AM
GTFletch Offline
All American

I Root For: Georgia Tech

YOU MEAN IF ESPN IS WILLING TO PAY SEC TO ADD ANYMORE TEAMS! WHY DO YOU THINK THE BIG & SEC BOTH SAID THEY ARE STOPPING AT 16? BECUASE THE NETWORKS HAVE TO PAY FOR ANY ADITIONAL MEMBERS AND CURRENTLY THE NETWORKS ARE NOT WANTING TO PAY AT THAT RATE.

SO THAT DOES MEAN THAT THE ACC, PAC12 & BIG12 WILL GET LESS. THE QUESTION IS HOW MUCH LESS?

The current $$ GAP is:15-18M

ACC - 36.1M (2020:30.9M-37M)
PAC- 19.8M (2020:33.6M )
BIG12- 34.5M (2020:37-40M)

BIG10- 46.1M (2020:54.3M)
SEC- 54.6M (2020:45.5M)

The question is if ESPN give the PAC10 500M for all three tier rights or 50M per school is that good enough to keep the PAC together? We all know what happened when the BIG East did not take the Media Money, they went Basketball only. The question is what happens if 50M per team is not good enough. Will a BIG12 / PAC10 merger bring in more than a 50M per team payout after all travel cost?

We still have to get the new expanded CFP deal. so could we go to a P2, yes but if I am a gambling man it will be after 2034.
(This post was last modified: 07-18-2022 08:40 AM by GTFletch.)
07-18-2022 07:14 AM
GarnetAndBlue Offline
1st String

(07-18-2022 07:10 AM)ClairtonPanther Wrote:  
(07-18-2022 06:02 AM)GarnetAndBlue Wrote:  

Considering that ESPN is tied into the GOR countless times, I have to assume that those 8 specific votes are tied to ESPN; therefore, all 8 would be going to the SEC.

Okay, so hypothetically...even if the B1G wanted to grab 8 ACC teams...it wouldn't be able to due to the GOR? ESPN has to approve the deal per contract?
07-18-2022 08:36 AM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
(07-18-2022 07:14 AM)GTFletch Wrote:  

YOU MEAN IF ESPN IS WILLING TO PAY SEC TO ADD ANYMORE TEAMS! WHY DO YOU THINK THE BIG & SEC BOTH SAID THEY ARE STOPPING AT 16? BECUASE THE NETWORKS HAVE TO PAY FOR ANY ADITIONAL MEMBERS AND CURRENTLY THE NETWORKS ARE NOT WANTING TO PAY AT THAT RATE.

SO THAT DOES MEAN THAT THE ACC, PAC12 & BIG12 WILL GET LESS. THE QUESTION IS HOW MUCH LESS?

The current $$ GAP is:15-18M

ACC - 36.1M (2020:30.9M-37M)
PAC- 19.8M (2020:33.6M )
BIG12- 34.5M (2020:37-40M)

BIG10- 46.1M (2020:54.3M)
SEC- 54.6M (2020:45.5M)

The question is if ESPN give the PAC10 500M for all three tier rights or 50M per school is that good enough to keep the PAC together? We all know what happened when the BIG East did not take the Media Money, they went Basketball only. The question is what happens if 50M per team is not good enough. Will a BIG12 / PAC10 merger bring in more than a 50M per team payout after all travel cost?

We still have to get the new expanded CFP deal. so could we go to a P2, yes but if I am a gambling man it will be after 2034.

Monopoly advertising rates from Texas to Kansas to Virginia to Florida for CFB and MBB.

Expand CFB Playoff.

Take March Madness away from the NCAA. Monetize it like the CFB Playoff.

Take the College World Series away from the NCAA. Monetize it like the CFB Playoff. Continue to lean in to coverage hard like the SECN is. This should be easy peasy ... the only competition for live sports against CBB is the USFL and MLB. Conveniently, there's a severe shortage of MLB teams relative to population throughout even the expanded SEC's footprint. So it's even better than it sounds. The Braves and Astros can't be on all day every day. The Rays and Marlins only have a light following.

The money is there. Not just for the ACC teams to get a pay raise ... but for everybody to get a pay raise on top of that.
(This post was last modified: 07-18-2022 09:50 AM by georgia_tech_swagger.)
07-18-2022 09:49 AM
Advertisement

Hokie Mark Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
I go out of town for a few days and come back to this insanity!
The language of the GoR indicates it takes neither a simple majority nor even a super majority to dissolve it - it takes a unanimous vote!
Best wishes on that!
07-coffee3
07-18-2022 02:43 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GarnetAndBlue Offline
1st String

(07-18-2022 02:43 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  I go out of town for a few days and come back to this insanity!
The language of the GoR indicates it takes neither a simple majority nor even a super majority to dissolve it - it takes a unanimous vote!
Best wishes on that!
07-coffee3

Nobody provides source material or quotes from the power brokers (Networks, Presidents, Commissioners) to support it one way or another. Just the boiler-plate 4-pager that isn't the whole enchilada of contract documents. I would love to know the answer to this...if it really only requires 8 ACC teams saying "we're out"...it will happen much sooner than '36.
07-18-2022 03:53 PM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
The Big Ten has only expanded in the past for more money. They wanted Penn State and Notre Dame for the CCG, swing and a miss on ND so they ended up with Nebraska.

Rutgers and Maryland for the BTN subscribers.

UCLA and USC for a higher media payout.

The Big Ten and Fox want the same thing and are inseparable these days and they’ll only expand for more money.

Bottom line: I don’t see eight ACC programs adding more value than Oregon and Washington, which were just shut down by the B16. If Notre Dame sticks with NBC we might not be seeing any movement for a while.
07-18-2022 04:51 PM
green Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-18-2022 04:51 PM)esayem Wrote:  If Notre Dame sticks with NBC we might not be seeing any movement for a while.

https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/statu...5274951685

NOT NO
07-18-2022 05:05 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.