Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ESPN and The ACC are renegotiating?
XLance Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
ESPN and The ACC are renegotiating?

Evidently Chancellor Guskiewicz thinks so.
07-13-2022 04:32 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

XLance Online
Hall of Famer

RE: ESPN and The ACC are renegotiating?
Article

https://chapelboro.com/sports/optimistic...ealignment

Could the ACC’s days be numbered?

The recent moves by USC and UCLA from the Pac-12 to the Big Ten have kicked off another wave of speculation about large-scale conference realignment. Texas and Oklahoma’s move to the SEC, possibly as soon as 2024, could lay the groundwork for it and the Big Ten to morph into two “superconferences,” leaving smaller leagues in the dust financially.

It was less than a decade ago that another wave of conference realignment turned the NCAA on its head. The old Big East, once a college basketball staple, collapsed with the exits of Syracuse, Louisville and Connecticut, among others. The ACC went through its own transition, losing Maryland but adding the Orange and Cardinals, as well as Pittsburgh and Notre Dame.

But once the dust settled, it appeared things were set in stone for a while. Now, new changes on the horizon promise to be even more earth-shaking.

The Big Ten and SEC, growing more lucrative by the minute, are set up for a bidding war for teams from the less successful ACC, Pac-12, Big 12 and other smaller conferences. And due to its brand recognition across the country, UNC is seen as one of the most desirable programs in the ACC.

Experts see either budding superconference as a logical fit for Carolina, but UNC chancellor Kevin Guskiewicz told 97.9 The Hill’s Aaron Keck all the talk right now is speculation.

“People know the ACC is somewhat hamstrung, and in perhaps a weakened position because of the media contract that we’re being held to until 2036,” Guskiewicz said. “So that’s what’s leading to a lot of the speculation… I would say that I’m committed, [athletic director] Bubba Cunningham is committed to maintaining a strong ACC presence. And they’re doing everything possible to improve our contract so that we can remain competitive with schools that are in these other conferences.”

As Guskiewicz explained, the ACC’s grant of rights means UNC’s and other conference members’ TV revenue through ESPN is the property of the conference all the way through 2036, regardless of whether the school remains in the ACC. That means any departing school could potentially forfeit the opportunity to have its home games broadcast on national television in that time span.

Add in a reported $120 million exit fee, and the conference is going to make it as painful as possible for any institution to leave. Charter members like UNC, Clemson or Virginia bolting for greener pastures would almost surely signal the end of the nearly 70-year-old league. And in a college athletics world driven by money, the ACC has fallen behind.

Nevertheless, Guskiewicz said he remains hopeful UNC and the league could work out a new deal.

“I’m optimistic we’re gonna get a better contract,” he said. “I think ESPN recognizes the importance of a strong ACC, which it really is. It’s an incredibly strong conference. One thing that I’m proud of as chancellor of UNC-Chapel Hill is the ACC is… well-known in excellence in academics and in athletics. I think we’ve proven that, and I think this is the right fit for Carolina.”

No official realignment moves have been made since USC and UCLA stunned the country with their moves in late June. But the rumblings of potential moves have been near ubiquitous since then. There’s no guarantee the ACC as we know it will exist in a year’s time, or even in a month. But Carolina is well-positioned to go wherever it wants, and may carry the fate of an historic conference with it.
07-13-2022 04:42 AM
ren.hoek Offline
1st String

I Root For: Clemson
(07-13-2022 04:42 AM)XLance Wrote:  Article

The recent moves by USC and UCLA from the Pac-12 to the Big Ten have kicked off another wave of speculation about large-scale conference realignment. Texas and Oklahoma’s move to the SEC, possibly as soon as 2024, could lay the groundwork for it and the Big Ten to morph into two “superconferences,” leaving smaller leagues in the dust financially.

It was less than a decade ago that another wave of conference realignment turned the NCAA on its head. The old Big East, once a college basketball staple, collapsed with the exits of Syracuse, Louisville and Connecticut, among others. The ACC went through its own transition, losing Maryland but adding the Orange and Cardinals, as well as Pittsburgh and Notre Dame.

But once the dust settled, it appeared things were set in stone for a while. Now, new changes on the horizon promise to be even more earth-shaking.

The Big Ten and SEC, growing more lucrative by the minute, are set up for a bidding war for teams from the less successful ACC, Pac-12, Big 12 and other smaller conferences. And due to its brand recognition across the country, UNC is seen as one of the most desirable programs in the ACC.

Experts see either budding superconference as a logical fit for Carolina, but UNC chancellor Kevin Guskiewicz told 97.9 The Hill’s Aaron Keck all the talk right now is speculation.

“People know the ACC is somewhat hamstrung, and in perhaps a weakened position because of the media contract that we’re being held to until 2036,” Guskiewicz said. “So that’s what’s leading to a lot of the speculation… I would say that I’m committed, [athletic director] Bubba Cunningham is committed to maintaining a strong ACC presence. And they’re doing everything possible to improve our contract so that we can remain competitive with schools that are in these other conferences.”

As Guskiewicz explained, the ACC’s grant of rights means UNC’s and other conference members’ TV revenue through ESPN is the property of the conference all the way through 2036, regardless of whether the school remains in the ACC. That means any departing school could potentially forfeit the opportunity to have its home games broadcast on national television in that time span.

Add in a reported $120 million exit fee, and the conference is going to make it as painful as possible for any institution to leave. Charter members like UNC, Clemson or Virginia bolting for greener pastures would almost surely signal the end of the nearly 70-year-old league. And in a college athletics world driven by money, the ACC has fallen behind.

Nevertheless, Guskiewicz said he remains hopeful UNC and the league could work out a new deal.

“I’m optimistic we’re gonna get a better contract,” he said. “I think ESPN recognizes the importance of a strong ACC, which it really is. It’s an incredibly strong conference. One thing that I’m proud of as chancellor of UNC-Chapel Hill is the ACC is… well-known in excellence in academics and in athletics. I think we’ve proven that, and I think this is the right fit for Carolina.”

No official realignment moves have been made since USC and UCLA stunned the country with their moves in late June. But the rumblings of potential moves have been near ubiquitous since then. There’s no guarantee the ACC as we know it will exist in a year’s time, or even in a month. But Carolina is well-positioned to go wherever it wants, and may carry the fate of an historic conference with it.

ESPN has the opportunity to set up a Power 3 with two of those conferences under their umbrella. If they get the PAC, it will be a P4 with 3 being ESPN conferences. The SEC and B1G will make more money, the question is how much more. If nothing changes on the ACC contract, the conference and ESPN's investment in the ACC network will either on the vine and become insolvent.
07-13-2022 06:06 AM
green Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Miami
(07-13-2022 06:06 AM)ren.hoek Wrote:  ESPN has the opportunity to set up a Power 3 with two of those conferences under their umbrella.

P2 cheaper ...

SPEND LESS EARN MORE
07-13-2022 06:29 AM
Bear Catlett Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC
Well if our BE experience means anything, UNC is the next to leave.
07-13-2022 06:36 AM
green Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-13-2022 06:36 AM)Bear Catlett Wrote:  Well if our BE experience means anything, UNC is the next to leave.

ACC orbits Tar Heels ...

LAST AMERICAN TO LEAVE PLEASE BRING THE FLAG
07-13-2022 06:40 AM
Advertisement

NoQuarterBrigade Offline
Go Damn Pirates!!!!!

I Root For: ECU & the AAC

Oh boy, here comes the short term deal with a modest bump in revenue and the promise of something grander in the future. All with the motive to drastically reduce the life of the GOR. So ESPN can work their magic behind closed doors and move whatever they want over to the SEC.
(This post was last modified: 07-13-2022 06:55 AM by NoQuarterBrigade.)
07-13-2022 06:41 AM
GTFletch Offline
All American

I Root For: Georgia Tech
ESPN & ACC are in talks about partnership with ESPNs proposal of PAC Tier1-3 rights? The ACC isn't going anwhere and will have their contract adjusted in 2026. Rumors will fly until 2026, I would have thought the ACC fanbase would have learned their lesson when everyone said that their would not be an "ACC Linear Network", and boom ESPN kept their end of the agreement.

Look at what is going on the next few years:
2022: BIG10 new media contract cycle
2024: SEC new ESPN Contract beigns thru 2034
2024: The Pac-12 begins a new media contract cycle
2025: The Big 12 begins a new media contract cycle
2025: Notre Dame’s last year under current NBC contract, CBS/ESPN coming for them
2026: The first season on an expanded CFP
2026: ACC next contract "look-in"

FWIW: The ACC’s contract with ESPN calls for three separate “look-in” periods -- times when executives from both entities will be able to sit down and discuss whether the contract terms needs to be renegotiated. The first of those previously unreported “look-ins” occured in 2021, just two years after the ACC Network launched on cable and satellite television. So we can say that look-in was about getting Comcast and Xfinity to carry the ACCN. The next two "look-ins" are 2026 & 2030. We will see the contract bumped up in 2026 and again in 2030, However we will always be behind the SEC If they make 100 per school, we are looking at 70-80M per school.

So the SEC gets a raise in 2024, ACC will get a raise in 2026, while it wont be 100M as SEC will command, anyone thinking ESPN will not pay the ACC FMV is foolish, the question I have is that 70M or 85M per team in 2026? I think we will know once we see what the PAC signs on for.
(This post was last modified: 07-13-2022 12:15 PM by GTFletch.)
07-13-2022 07:52 AM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(07-13-2022 06:41 AM)NoQuarterBrigade Wrote:  

Oh boy, here comes the short term deal with a modest bump in revenue and the promise of something grander in the future. All with the motive to drastically reduce the life of the GOR. So ESPN can work their magic behind closed doors and move whatever they want over to the SEC.

You know, I'm with Clairton Panther - I'm ready for this to be over, regardless of whether VT is left behind or not. The Hokies weren't in a power conference when I attended school there, and it won't kill me if they end up in a "best of the rest" league - I'll still pull for them.
07-13-2022 07:52 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
domer1978 Offline
All American

I Root For: Notre Dame/Chaos
Please let us leave for CBS, ESPN would be okay but the time slot issue.
07-13-2022 08:02 AM
NoQuarterBrigade Offline
Go Damn Pirates!!!!!

I Root For: ECU & the AAC
(07-13-2022 07:52 AM)GTFletch Wrote:  ESPN & ACC are in talks about partnership with ESPNs proposal of PAC Tier1-3 rights? The ACC isn't going anwhere and will have their contract adjusted in 2026. Rumors will fly until 2026, I would have thought the ACC fanbase would have learned their lesson when everyone said that their would not be an "ACC Linear Network", and boom ESPN kept their end of the agreement.

2025: Notre Dame’s last year under current NBC contract, CBS/ESPN coming for them

FWIW: The ACC’s contract with ESPN calls for three separate “look-in” periods -- times when executives from both entities will be able to sit down and discuss whether the contract terms needs to be renegotiated. The first of those previously unreported “look-ins” occured in 2021, just two years after the ACC Network launched on cable and satellite television. So we can say that look-in was about getting Comcast and Xfinity to carry the ACCN. The next two "look-ins" are 2026 & 2030. We will see the contract bumped up in 2026 and again in 2030, However we will always be behind the SEC If they make 100 per school, we are looking at 70-80M per school.

So the SEC gets a raise in 2024, ACC will get a raise in 2026, while it wont be 100M as SEC will command, anyone thinking ESPN will not pay the ACC FMV is foolish, the question I have is that 70M or 85M per team in 2026? I think we will know once we see what the PAC signs on for.

You know, I feel like you’re being a little too optimistic. When you see giant brands suddenly move from conferences they’ve been affiliated with for decades upon decades, you have to think there’s something looming large and going on behind the scenes. Hopefully you’re right. And this is just about chasing the money, but you really have to wonder if another domino could drop at any time. And the ACC has a few of those dominos.
(This post was last modified: 07-13-2022 08:21 AM by NoQuarterBrigade.)
07-13-2022 08:11 AM
Advertisement

GoWulfPak Offline
2nd String

I Root For: NC State
Seems like an odd thing to say without knowing something.
07-13-2022 08:14 AM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.giphy.com%2Fmedia...amp;nofb=1]
07-13-2022 08:28 AM
GTFletch Offline
All American

I Root For: Georgia Tech
(07-13-2022 08:11 AM)NoQuarterBrigade Wrote:  
(07-13-2022 07:52 AM)GTFletch Wrote:  ESPN & ACC are in talks about partnership with ESPNs proposal of PAC Tier1-3 rights? The ACC isn't going anwhere and will have their contract adjusted in 2026. Rumors will fly until 2026, I would have thought the ACC fanbase would have learned their lesson when everyone said that their would not be an "ACC Linear Network", and boom ESPN kept their end of the agreement.

You know, I feel like you’re being a little too optimistic. When you see giant brands suddenly move from conferences they’ve been affiliated with for decades upon decades, you have to think there’s something looming large and going on behind the scenes. Hopefully you’re right. And this is just about chasing the money, but you really have to wonder if another domino could drop at any time. And the ACC has a few of those dominos.

Debt-laden UCLA was on a grim trajectory to cut sports until it cashed in on a move to the Big Ten. Over the last three fiscal years, UCLA’s athletic department had run up a $102.8-million deficit that figured only to worsen given the school’s sagging football attendance

The truth is that UCLA would have had to go G5 with all this debt and football FCS or cut sports, unless the state of California bailed them out or they were allowed to join the BIG10 with USC.

This has nothing to do with the ACC, or the new revenue stream we will see from the ACC Network being fully distributed finally (2023 TAX return will show how much that actually will be) or the new revenue created by broadcasting a package of PAC games on the ACC Network starting in 2025. The ACC is stable anything else is just fanboys jerking off to expansion fantasies.

Consider this: (ACC Reveunue uptick until 2026 Look-in)

2023- Full ACC Network distribution
2025- Additional income from broadcasting a package of PAC games
2026- "Look-in"

Yes we are behind SEC in the ESPN content, however being #2 is not a bad spot in this media cold war. (espn vs fox) One has to be stupid if they think ESPN is letting the ACC go anywhere. They are going to try and outbid NBC and CBS for Notre Dame in 2025. ESPN values the ACC thus the ACC will stay together.

Link
https://thecomeback.com/ncaa/ucla-big-te...eason.html
(This post was last modified: 07-13-2022 08:51 AM by GTFletch.)
07-13-2022 08:38 AM
CatsClaw1 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Cincinnati
(07-13-2022 08:28 AM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  [Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.giphy.com%2Fmedia...amp;nofb=1]

04-jawdrop
07-13-2022 11:10 AM
XLance Online
Hall of Famer

(07-13-2022 08:02 AM)domer1978 Wrote:  Please let us leave for CBS, ESPN would be okay but the time slot issue.

I believe you're going to have to stay with us for a while longer.04-cheers
07-13-2022 11:50 AM
Advertisement

domer1978 Offline
All American

(07-13-2022 11:50 AM)XLance Wrote:  
(07-13-2022 08:02 AM)domer1978 Wrote:  Please let us leave for CBS, ESPN would be okay but the time slot issue.

I believe you're going to have to stay with us for a while longer.04-cheers

[Image: giphy.gif?cid=790b76110ea555587b170cc9d8...p;amp;ct=g]
07-13-2022 12:03 PM
OrangeDude Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Syracuse
Here's ESPN's dilemma as I see it. They are in a Proxy war with FOX. FOX has openly admitted they are no longer interested in the PAC so I am taking them at their word.

Let's assume the GOR is too big an obstacle to overcome until 2030 or beyond.

Right now, FOX apparently is interested in the new B12. I will assume they are pushing for that league to perhaps entice the Four Corner PAC schools (Arizona, ASU, Colorado, and Utah) to join them. That would get the B12 to a B16. This potentially leaves Oregon, Washington and Stanford for the B1G. As for the ACC it's best programs will be picked apart by both the SEC and B1G but not until 2030 (in this scenario). It also potentially makes the new B16 as the third conference remaining within the new structure but only on a slightly elevated G5 level. Their champion though might have a place reserved in an 8 team or 12 team football playoff.

And with the ACC out of the picture that leaves Notre Dame no choice but to join the B1G. Which again favors FOX without having to do a separate contract for the Irish.

If ESPN allows this then FOX could wind up with the upper hand in college football. Yes, the SEC will still be King of the Mountain in terms of on-the-field product, but in terms of overall product FOX would have more, not necessarily better, but close enough and definitely more.

That got me to thinking how does ESPN get back the upper hand from the above scenario? Perhaps some type of merger between the ACC and PAC in the very near future just might have to take place. And said merger must mean either a death blow to the B12 or an even more reduced level of status by making their champion only as a potential at-large bid in the new football tournament instead of a reserve place for its champion.

As absurd as a partial PAC merger with the ACC seems it might mean the ACC's survival and more importantly ESPN's remaining as the clear front runner in College Football.

Crazy, I know. And I am sure many of you will find the holes in my line of thinking. But that is where my thinking is as of today.

Cheers,
Neil
(This post was last modified: 07-13-2022 01:08 PM by OrangeDude.)
07-13-2022 01:05 PM
domer1978 Offline
All American

(07-13-2022 01:05 PM)OrangeDude Wrote:  Here's ESPN's dilemma as I see it. They are in a Proxy war with FOX. FOX has openly admitted they are no longer interested in the PAC so I am taking them at their word.

Right now, FOX apparently is interested in the new B12. I will assume they are pushing for that league to perhaps entice the Four Corner PAC schools (Arizona, ASU, Colorado, and Utah) to join them. That would get the B12 to a B16. This potentially leaves Oregon, Washington and Stanford for the B1G. As for the ACC it's best programs will be picked apart by both the SEC and B1G but not until 2030 (in this scenario). It also potentially makes the new B16 as the third conference remaining within the new structure but only on a slightly elevated G5 level. Their champion though might have a place reserved in an 8 team or 12 team football playoff.

And with the ACC out of the picture that leaves Notre Dame no choice but to join the B1G. Which again favors FOX without having to do a separate contract for the Irish.

If ESPN allows this then FOX could wind up with the upper hand in college football. Yes, the SEC will still be King of the Mountain in terms of on-the-field product, but in terms of overall product FOX would have more, not necessarily better, but close enough and definitely more.

That got me to thinking how does ESPN get back the upper hand from the above scenario? Perhaps some type of merger between the ACC and PAC in the very near future just might have to take place. And said merger must mean either a death blow to the B12 or an even more reduced level of status by making their champion only as a potential at-large bid in the new football tournament instead of a reserve place for its champion.

As absurd as a partial PAC merger with the ACC seems it might mean the ACC's survival and more importantly ESPN's remaining as the clear front runner in College Football.

Crazy, I know. And I am sure many of you will find the holes in my line of thinking. But that is where my thinking is as of today.

Cheers,
Neil
I expect ESPN to throw obscene money at ND to get all our rights. That is one way to counter Fox. Removing us from the equation is a big checkmate.
07-13-2022 01:23 PM
green Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-13-2022 01:23 PM)domer1978 Wrote:  
(07-13-2022 01:05 PM)OrangeDude Wrote:  Here's ESPN's dilemma as I see it. They are in a Proxy war with FOX. FOX has openly admitted they are no longer interested in the PAC so I am taking them at their word.

Cheers,
Neil
I expect ESPN to throw obscene money at ND to get all our rights. That is one way to counter Fox. Removing us from the equation is a big checkmate.

unless you’re joining in full ...

GOMER PYLE
07-13-2022 01:42 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.