Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

SI Pat Forde on Notre Dame
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
SI Pat Forde on Notre Dame
From the Article:

A source familiar with the school’s thinking told Sports Illustrated that “independence remains the preference and the leader in the clubhouse.” It will take a lot to move Notre Dame off its cherished identity, but the instability of the entire landscape remains a concern, and could further affect the Irish outlook.

A source familiar with the school’s thinking told Sports Illustrated that “independence remains the preference and the leader in the clubhouse.”It will take a lot to move Notre Dame off its cherished identity, but the instability of the entire landscape remains a concern, and could further affect the Irish outlook.

Two areas to monitor: the fates of both the College Football Playoff and the Atlantic Coast Conference. If one or both collapse, Notre Dame could be compelled into the Big Ten. Per its current contract, the playoff ceases to exist in January 2026. There is no guarantee another iteration of it will take its place, at any size. “The vast majority of the writing assumes a playoff, and that it’s going to get bigger,” says the industry source. “I’m not sure about that assumption.”

It’s possible the diminished Big 12 and Pac-12 could be frozen out. It’s possible the ACC also could be pushed aside. It’s possible the Big Ten and SEC each hold their own mini-playoffs, then the champions of the two leagues meet for a putative national title—or they don’t, and each conference can proclaim its superiority without settling it on the field. (If you want a lousy throwback to the lousy bowl system, this would be it.)

Notre Dame wants a path to a football national championship. If everything but the Big Ten and SEC is reduced to non-contender status, that could force them off Independence Island. Or, if the ACC splinters amid its long stay in a disadvantageous contract with ESPN, the school would have to think about its sports that compete in that league and might need to be relocated.

The school of thought for why it might finally be time for Notre Dame to join the Big Ten contains two classrooms: national scheduling and revenue.

https://www.si.com/college/2022/07/04/co...rd-to-wait
(This post was last modified: 07-04-2022 04:17 PM by Maize.)
07-04-2022 04:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
RE: SI Pat Forde on Notre Dame
That says a whole lot of nothing.
07-04-2022 04:23 PM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-04-2022 04:23 PM)ChrisLords Wrote:  That says a whole lot of nothing.

Kind of disagree ... the one thing it did say according to Forde sources is that their #1 preference is staying Independent ... now if they can stay Indy that is a different matter in this new P2 era. And also it could be a signal to NBC or another Network or Streaming Service for the ND Home Game Package.
(This post was last modified: 07-04-2022 04:35 PM by Maize.)
07-04-2022 04:26 PM
Pervis_Griffith Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisville
(07-04-2022 04:26 PM)Maize Wrote:  

Kind of disagree ... the one thing it did say according to Forde sources is that their #1 preference is staying Independent ... now if they can stay Indy that is a different matter. And also it could be a signal to NBC or another Network or Streaming Service for the ND Home Game Package.

Yep. Their NBC rights are coming due soon, and that, in conjunction with their current (non-full) portion of the ACC revenue, could make things palatable enough for them to maintain the status quo.

I'd also like to see the Big Ten and SEC try to "freeze out" the rest of college football. Suddenly, Senators from all over would become indignant over the greed of universities, at the expense of good old fashioned American competition.

07-coffee3
07-04-2022 04:35 PM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-04-2022 04:35 PM)Pervis_Griffith Wrote:  
(07-04-2022 04:26 PM)Maize Wrote:  

Kind of disagree ... the one thing it did say according to Forde sources is that their #1 preference is staying Independent ... now if they can stay
Indy that is a different matter. And also it could be a signal to NBC or another Network or Streaming Service for the ND Home Game Package.

Yep. Their NBC rights are coming due soon, and that, in conjunction with their current (non-full) portion of the ACC revenue, could make things palatable enough for them to maintain the status quo.

I'd also like to see the Big Ten and SEC try to "freeze out" the rest of college football. Suddenly, Senators from all over would become indignant over the greed of universities, at the expense of good old fashioned American competition.

07-coffee3

It also “could” give ND more time to kick the can down the road in regards to their Indy Status in Football. I also doubt “IF” ND stays put they would freeze out anyone ... JMO ....
(This post was last modified: 07-04-2022 04:46 PM by Maize.)
07-04-2022 04:37 PM
green Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Miami
(07-04-2022 04:11 PM)Maize Wrote:  From the Article:

A source familiar with the school’s thinking told Sports Illustrated that “independence remains the preference and the leader in the clubhouse.” It will take a lot to move Notre Dame off its cherished identity, but the instability of the entire landscape remains a concern, and could further affect the Irish outlook.

A source familiar with the school’s thinking told Sports Illustrated that “independence remains the preference and the leader in the clubhouse.”It will take a lot to move Notre Dame off its cherished identity, but the instability of the entire landscape remains a concern, and could further affect the Irish outlook.

Two areas to monitor: the fates of both the College Football Playoff and the Atlantic Coast Conference. If one or both collapse, Notre Dame could be compelled into the Big Ten. Per its current contract, the playoff ceases to exist in January 2026. There is no guarantee another iteration of it will take its place, at any size. “The vast majority of the writing assumes a playoff, and that it’s going to get bigger,” says the industry source. “I’m not sure about that assumption.”

It’s possible the diminished Big 12 and Pac-12 could be frozen out. It’s possible the ACC also could be pushed aside. It’s possible the Big Ten and SEC each hold their own mini-playoffs, then the champions of the two leagues meet for a putative national title—or they don’t, and each conference can proclaim its superiority without settling it on the field. (If you want a lousy throwback to the lousy bowl system, this would be it.)

Notre Dame wants a path to a football national championship. If everything but the Big Ten and SEC is reduced to non-contender status, that could force them off Independence Island. Or, if the ACC splinters amid its long stay in a disadvantageous contract with ESPN, the school would have to think about its sports that compete in that league and might need to be relocated.

The school of thought for why it might finally be time for Notre Dame to join the Big Ten contains two classrooms: national scheduling and revenue.

BUT MUH FOOLPROOF GOR
07-04-2022 05:23 PM
Advertisement

Schema Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Clemson
If ND stays independent, the SEC and B1G hold off on grabbing ACC schools for now, and the B1G does not take any additional Pac-12 schools, I think I like inviting some Western schools to get to 22. Assuming my math is correct, with 22, you can have three permanent opponents, and then rotate through the remaining 18, six per year over three years. The Western schools can have each other as primary opponents and the current ACC schools can keep their newly assigned primary opponents.

Here is an example where the ACC invites Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, Kansas, Oregon, Stanford, Utah, and Washington. That's seven new states that pay full price for the ACCN. Apologies to Cal, Oregon State, and Washington State.

Arizona: Arizona State, Colorado, Kansas
Arizona State: Arizona, Kansas, Oregon
Boston College: Miami, Pittsburgh, Syracuse
Clemson: Florida State, Georgia Tech, NC State
Colorado: Arizona, Kansas, Utah
Duke: North Carolina, NC State, Wake Forest
Florida State: Clemson, Miami, Syracuse
Georgia Tech: Clemson, Louisville, Wake Forest
Kansas: Arizona State, Arizona, Colorado
Louisville: Georgia Tech, Miami, Virginia
Miami: Boston College, Florida State, Louisville
NC State: Clemson, Duke, North Carolina
North Carolina: Duke, NC State, Virginia
Oregon: Arizona State, Stanford, Washington
Pittsburgh: Boston College, Syracuse, Virginia Tech
Stanford: Oregon, Utah, Washington
Syracuse: Boston College, Florida State, Pittsburgh
Utah: Colorado, Stanford, Washington
Virginia: Louisville, North Carolina, Virginia Tech
Virginia Tech: Pittsburgh, Virginia, Wake Forest
Wake Forest: Duke, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech
Washington: Oregon, Stanford, Utah

As a Clemson fan, I guess I'm hoping that chaos puts us into the SEC. However, if that isn't going to happen until the 2030s, then let's beef up the ACC for the time being and try to make some more money.
07-04-2022 05:33 PM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-04-2022 05:23 PM)green Wrote:  
(07-04-2022 04:11 PM)Maize Wrote:  From the Article:

BUT MUH FOOLPROOF GOR

Nobody in their right mind says the GoR is full proof ... but it is very difficult apparently to break ... hence JMO Texas and Oklahoma would be playing in the SEC this year instead of 2025 and USC and UCLA next year instead of 2024.

Can you imagine the Billable hours trying to break something that you may or may not get out of ... 07-coffee3
(This post was last modified: 07-04-2022 05:46 PM by Maize.)
07-04-2022 05:45 PM
green Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-04-2022 05:45 PM)Maize Wrote:  Nobody in their right mind says the GoR is full proof ... but it is very difficult apparently to break ... hence JMO Texas and Oklahoma would be playing in the SEC this year instead of 2025 and USC and UCLA next year instead of 2024.

Can you imagine the Billable hours trying to break something that you may or may not get out of ... 07-coffee3

it’s unlikely but not impossible ...

YOU CAN’T KEEP A GOOD MAN DOWN
07-04-2022 05:56 PM
CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
Well on paper the Current ACC line up has more to offer the remaining PAC schools then the Texas,Oklahoma, Iowa, Kansas. Huge population centers, East Coast exposure. Starting to like that.
(This post was last modified: 07-04-2022 05:59 PM by CardFan1.)
07-04-2022 05:58 PM
green Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-04-2022 05:58 PM)CardFan1 Wrote:  Well on paper the Current ACC line up has more to offer the remaining PAC schools then the Texas,Oklahoma, Iowa, Kansas. Huge population centers, East Coast exposure. Starting to like that.

nah ...

LEFTOVERTURE
07-04-2022 06:07 PM
Advertisement

Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
(07-04-2022 05:45 PM)Maize Wrote:  Nobody in their right mind says the GoR is full proof ... but it is very difficult apparently to break ... hence JMO Texas and Oklahoma would be playing in the SEC this year instead of 2025 and USC and UCLA next year instead of 2024.

There was a link on this site to an alleged copy of the B12 GoR. It stated something to the effect of the GoR being open only to members of the B12. So if you leave the B12 you are no longer bound by the GoR.

2025 is a worst case scenario. It's in the interest of Texas and Oklahoma to be patient. If the details with the SEC and AAC work out they could be playing in the SEC in 2023 for bus loads less money.
07-04-2022 07:26 PM
Gitanole Offline
Barista

I Root For: Florida State
(07-04-2022 05:45 PM)Maize Wrote:  Nobody in their right mind says the GoR is full proof[sic] ... but it is very difficult apparently to break ... hence JMO Texas and Oklahoma would be playing in the SEC this year instead of 2025 and USC and UCLA next year instead of 2024.

Fans keep saying that about the grant of rights. They use Texas/Oklahoma as an example and mention 'billable hours.' Yet...

How likely is it that Texas and Oklahoma would be waiting it out right now if the wait was until 2036?

That's 14 years instead of 3. Each year, Arkansas will get tens of millions of dollars for its program that Texas and Oklahoma can't match. They will be cool with that? When both of them already have a bid waiting to bridge the gap?

No, they will call the lawyers and pull out calculators. If leaving is expensive, so is staying put. And if it's 3 years or 14 years... that affects the math.
07-04-2022 10:03 PM
Pervis_Griffith Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisville
(07-04-2022 10:03 PM)Gitanole Wrote:  
(07-04-2022 05:45 PM)Maize Wrote:  Nobody in their right mind says the GoR is full proof[sic] ... but it is very difficult apparently to break ... hence JMO Texas and Oklahoma would be playing in the SEC this year instead of 2025 and USC and UCLA next year instead of 2024.

Fans keep saying that about the grant of rights. They use Texas/Oklahoma as an example and mention 'billable hours.' Yet...

How likely is it that Texas and Oklahoma would be waiting it out right now if the wait was until 2036?

That's 14 years instead of 3. Each year, Arkansas will get tens of millions of dollars for its program that Texas and Oklahoma can't match. They will be cool with that? When both of them already have a bid waiting to bridge the gap?

No, they will call the lawyers and pull out calculators. If leaving is expensive, so is staying put. And if it's 3 years or 14 years... that affects the math.

Given the fact that Texas and Oklahoma are waiting out the Big XII GoR, it stands to reason they'd be doing the same with a 14-year GoR that they would have willingly signed. They're only looking at 3 years right now -- so go ahead and break it if it's so easy. It's very telling that they haven't challenged it yet.

I don't think Texas and Oklahoma are worried about the difference between Arkansas' SEC money and where they are currently. They have access to some of the wealthiest boosters in the country.

Where Texas and Oklahoma may be a little concerned regarding Arkansas, is with NIL. Competing with Arkansas there could be a tad more challenging. The Walton family combined is worth a couple hundred billion ... they're buying up NFL franchises left and right (Almost 5 billion for the Broncos???? Really??, and cousin Kronke already owns the Rams) -- they could fart in the direction of Fayetteville and drop a couple hundred million.
07-04-2022 10:40 PM
Gitanole Offline
Barista

Here's an interesting plot twist: Some ACC member schools reportedly built safeguard clauses into their GoR contracts. These grants of rights must result in X amount of financial return for the universities, or the schools are off the hook.

Enjoy. 07-coffee3

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/...ar-AAZgfe1
07-07-2022 08:59 AM
Schema Offline
Special Teams

(07-07-2022 08:59 AM)Gitanole Wrote:  Here's an interesting plot twist: Some ACC member schools reportedly built safeguard clauses into their GoR contracts. These grants of rights must result in X amount of financial return for the universities, or the schools are off the hook.

Enjoy. 07-coffee3

He says things like "some of them" and "several of these deals". What is he talking about? Isn't the ACC's GOR a single entity?
07-07-2022 09:04 AM
Advertisement

GarnetAndBlue Offline
1st String

I Root For: Retired
(07-07-2022 09:04 AM)Schema Wrote:  
(07-07-2022 08:59 AM)Gitanole Wrote:  Here's an interesting plot twist: Some ACC member schools reportedly built safeguard clauses into their GoR contracts. These grants of rights must result in X amount of financial return for the universities, or the schools are off the hook.

Enjoy. 07-coffee3

He says things like "some of them" and "several of these deals". What is he talking about? Isn't the ACC's GOR a single entity?

Yeah, my understanding is it was one contract signed by the president of each ACC institution. I'd be happy to hear there were exceptions taken or amendments added on a university by university basis (if it benefits my school!). FSU had a mediocre president and terrible athletic director when the GOR was signed...so I'm highly doubtful that they got creative in protecting FSU's interests.
(This post was last modified: 07-07-2022 09:39 AM by GarnetAndBlue.)
07-07-2022 09:23 AM
Schema Offline
Special Teams

(07-07-2022 09:23 AM)GarnetAndBlue Wrote:  Yeah, my understanding is it was one contract signed by the president of each ACC institution. I'd be happy to hear there were exceptions taken or amendments added on a university by university basis (if it benefits my school!).

Agreed. However, I'm not sure this guy knows what he is talking about. I hope I'm wrong.
07-07-2022 09:25 AM
Hokie Mark Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams

Enjoy. 07-coffee3

Hold up. I respect what Mark Rogers does with his YouTube channel, but he's no industry insider.

As for the source of this article - a UCLA insider, provided by Trojan Wire - should we be surprised that the two new Big Ten teams which suddenly find themselves possibly facing a long-term "on an island" situation would want to stir things up in order to break loose the Great White Whale (not Moby Dick, I'm talking Notre Dame)?

In the YouTube video referenced, Tony Siracusa says "several of these [GoR contracts] have an out for [financial] performance". Note that he never says the ACC GoR has such a clause (and he probably hasn't even seen the final 2016 GoR because only the first one was made public).

I read the article, I watched the video, and frankly, I find nothing informative in them.
07-07-2022 09:38 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Gitanole Offline
Barista

Enjoy. 07-coffee3

(07-07-2022 09:04 AM)Schema Wrote:  He says things like "some of them" and "several of these deals". What is he talking about? Isn't the ACC's GOR a single entity?

Apparently not.

Here's an entirely plausible scenario. John Swofford tells everybody 'Look, Skipper at ESPN is willing to create a network for us, on the condition that we all demonstrate solidarity by extending the grant of rights from each institution to 2036. The text has to cover certain things. I've enclosed a copy of a grant of rights contract for your perusal.'

You're the chancellor at UNC. You give the document to some of your nefarious Tar Heel lawyers (their brothers are all ACC refs). The lawyers come back with a revised text and recommend this version as the one you should sign. It still covers all of the network's concerns—but it also covers a few more of the university's.

Let's say they have inserted a clause: UNC's rights revert back to the school in the event network revenues can't stay within 80% of the top-performing college sports network over a span of five years.

You show it to Swofford. What's he going to say? He's not going to say 'Hey, we won't make that kind of money!' He knows if he does, you don't sign.

Swofford says 'Oh, you want that? OK.' And he puts the document into his briefcase for his meeting with Skipper. Hey, he wants ESPN to deliver the goods, too.

A few days later, there's a press conference. Skipper from ESPN and Swofford from the ACC announce unanimous agreement to a GoR extension through 2036. Fifteen ADs wave and smile for the cameras.
07-07-2022 09:43 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.