Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

TN House passes bill lowering hand gun age to 18
bobdizole Offline
All American

I Root For: MT
TN House passes bill lowering hand gun age to 18
Link

I'm conflicted on this. I know I was raised to respect guns and to not be a violent criminal, but many are not.

I understand the Shelby Country outcry, but honestly how many gang bangers are going to the gun store purchase a handgun legally even if they can?
04-24-2022 06:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

maximus Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
RE: TN House passes bill lowering hand gun age to 18
(04-24-2022 06:10 PM)bobdizole Wrote:  Link

I'm conflicted on this. I know I was raised to respect guns and to not be a violent criminal, but many are not.

I understand the Shelby Country outcry, but honestly how many gang bangers are going to the gun store purchase a handgun legally even if they can?

Go to Bass Pro Shop in the Pyramid on any given night and tell me there isn't some really really shady sheet going on....

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
04-24-2022 06:27 PM
U_of_Elvis Offline
All American

I Root For:
This and permit-less carry both worry me.

On the 18 year olds there are a lot of 18 year olds that lack emotional maturity required to make split second life or death decisions. Some 21 year olds as well, but for guys especially the brain does a lot of developing between 18 and 21.

On the permitless carry there are a lot of people who were raised in households without guns who don’t have a good grasp on gun safety. The 8 hour carry permit classes with at least 50 rounds or range time at least exposes people to gun safety (NRA Basic Pistol Course was the baseline for most state courses and is well formed from a safety standpoint) and puts them in a room where they can ask questions and have misconceptions corrected.

I agree with the second amendment, own guns, have a carry permit, and am an NRA instructor. But I don’t think setting an age higher to purchase a handgun vs rifle or requiring training to get a carry permit infringe on the second amendment.
04-25-2022 10:23 AM
Advertisement

umbluegray Offline
Legend

I Root For: The Tigers!
I was just having a conversation last night with my daughter's boyfriend. They're both 22. Met at church. Of course, now he's straying to the left.

We were talking about poverty, guns and crime. He's bought the "we need gun control to control crime" schtick.

I explained that our Founders only agreed to ratify the Constitution once additional restrictions were put in place that restricts potential abuse enacted by the federal government.

Quote:PREAMBLE TO THE BILL OF RIGHTS
Congress of the United States
begun and held at the City of New-York, on
Wednesday the fourth of March, one thousand seven hundred and eighty nine.

THE Conventions of a number of the States, having at the time of their adopting the Constitution, expressed a desire, in order to prevent misconstruction or abuse of its powers, that further declaratory and restrictive clauses should be added: And as extending the ground of public confidence in the Government, will best ensure the beneficent ends of its institution.

RESOLVED by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America, in Congress assembled, two thirds of both Houses concurring, that the following Articles be proposed to the Legislatures of the several States, as amendments to the Constitution of the United States, all, or any of which Articles, when ratified by three fourths of the said Legislatures, to be valid to all intents and purposes, as part of the said Constitution; viz.

ARTICLES in addition to, and Amendment of the Constitution of the United States of America, proposed by Congress, and ratified by the Legislatures of the several States, pursuant to the fifth Article of the original Constitution.

Thus, the purpose of the Bill of Rights and the 2nd Amendment specifically is to ensure the citizens have the power to shut down abusive government.

Given that, I can only support legislation which makes it easier for adults to be armed.

It is understood that there are those people who will commit violence using guns. That already happens before this legislation is enacted and it will continue to happen after. That is no reason to restrict the vast majority of law-abiding citizens.

That would be like one person convicted of vehicular homicide and everyone else loses the legal ability to drive.

I understand the trepidation people have given the thinking that anyone will be able to carry even though provisions are in place which disallow certain people based on criminal history.

I think it would be interesting to see statistics from various states where constitutional (or quasi-constitutional) carry has been endorsed. Tennessee is one of these states. As of July 1, 2021, people have been able to carry without a permit.

It would be interesting to see if shootings and homicides have increased among those who are not restricted from carrying.
04-25-2022 10:34 AM
bearcat65 Online
All American

I Root For:
At some point we need to determine if a person is of age at 18 or 21 and stick to it.
04-25-2022 10:37 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.