Ricky Council - 6th Man of the year

Kevin Cross - Most Improved

Kelvin Sampson - Coach of the Year

Darien Jackson - Sportsmanship

First Team

Second Team

Third Team

All Freshman
(This post was last modified: 03-09-2022 11:28 AM by Stickboy46.)
03-09-2022 11:09 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Stickboy46 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Wichita State
RE: 2022 AAC Basketball Awards
Pleasantly surprised to see Dex finally get honored as DPOY. Normally it goes to the block shots leader, but Dex absolutely changes teams game plans. Rarely is his man the one that beat WSU (see what he did to Kendric Davis when they played)
03-09-2022 11:11 AM
bearcatmark Offline

I Root For: the Deliverator
No big complaints. I liked Cross more than most, had him first team but didn't expect to see him there. Glad he was recognized. ...I'm probably too hard on DDJ but I wouldn't have had him or Etienne as all conference players. I think Jeriah Horne was the biggest omission.
03-09-2022 11:24 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bill83 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Megyn Kelly

Donators
Well, that will give Nolley II a little motivation for tourny MVP.
03-09-2022 11:31 AM
ECUGrad07 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
Congrats to Tristen Newton! Well deserved! I hope he sticks around next year.

Darien Jackson with the sportsmanship award? Wasn't he one of the guys who instigated the fight at the end of the ECU/Tulsa game?
(This post was last modified: 03-09-2022 11:56 AM by ECUGrad07.)
03-09-2022 11:55 AM
Stickboy46 Offline
Heisman

(03-09-2022 11:55 AM)ECUGrad07 Wrote:  Congrats to Tristen Newton! Well deserved! I hope he sticks around next year.

Darien Jackson with the sportsmanship award? Wasn't he one of the guys who instigated the fight at the end of the ECU/Tulsa game?

I scratched my head on that one too .. he seemed to be involved in more on court trash talking than most. Maybe it's an off the court award?
03-09-2022 12:15 PM
Advertisement

pesik Offline
Legend

I Root For: Houston
Wichita got a ton of awards for a not good team

The biggest “snub” is likely bates on the freshman team.. likely snub because he missed the last few games.. but he played enough games to qualify..if he missed the same amount of games in the beginning but played the end with his stats, he is likely on the team

On the actual team - Horne was a snub but I expected it, nolley is a surprising snub
(This post was last modified: 03-09-2022 12:30 PM by pesik.)
03-09-2022 12:25 PM
pesik Offline
Legend

I Root For: Houston
also i was tripping SOOO hard, there are 2 players listed that i didnt have on my projections, but the only player i noticed that i listed that missed was nolley..i was like who is is the 2nd...it just hit me that the 2nd team has 6 players

2 random points:
-- The aac needs to add a "newcomer of the year award" for transfers and "all-defensive team"- defensive players wont get acknowledged otherwise if they arent the best .. (most big leagues have those awards)..better than a sportsmanship award that no one knows the criteria

-- last night i made a joke about the aac taking forever to release their all conference awards on twitter.. hornes mom somehow found my tweet and liked it.. so i feel bad because i can tell it is something they probably really wanted .. if the rest of his team didint suck he could have probably been 1st team
(This post was last modified: 03-09-2022 01:39 PM by pesik.)
03-09-2022 12:42 PM
Memphis Yankee Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
(03-09-2022 12:25 PM)pesik Wrote:  Wichita got a ton of awards for a not good team

The biggest “snub” is likely bates on the freshman team.. likely snub because he missed the last few games.. but he played enough games to qualify..if he missed the same amount of games in the beginning but played the end with his stats, he is likely on the team

On the actual team - Horne was a snub but I expected it, nolley is a surprising snub

Nolley was ACC freshman of the year for Virginia Tech, but he can't get on 3rd team AAC. Hmmm.
03-09-2022 12:53 PM
bearcatmark Offline

(03-09-2022 12:53 PM)Memphis Yankee Wrote:  
(03-09-2022 12:25 PM)pesik Wrote:  Wichita got a ton of awards for a not good team

Nolley was ACC freshman of the year for Virginia Tech, but he can't get on 3rd team AAC. Hmmm.

I think the balance across Memphis's roster is a big part of that. For instance, I would have had Lester Quinones on the all conference teams. He played more minutes than anyone on the roster. He was their second most efficiency offensive player (Behind Tyler Harris), got the Free throw line at the highest rate, hit the second most threes and was good on defense.

Of course you could make cases for Nolley, Harris and even Lomax (in addition to the guys honored).
03-09-2022 12:58 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mustangxc Offline
1st String

I Root For: SMU

Michael Weathers is a snub too.
03-09-2022 01:23 PM
Advertisement

Memphis Yankee Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-09-2022 12:58 PM)bearcatmark Wrote:  
(03-09-2022 12:53 PM)Memphis Yankee Wrote:  

I think the balance across Memphis's roster is a big part of that. For instance, I would have had Lester Quinones on the all conference teams. He played more minutes than anyone on the roster. He was their second most efficiency offensive player (Behind Tyler Harris), got the Free throw line at the highest rate, hit the second most threes and was good on defense.

Of course you could make cases for Nolley, Harris and even Lomax (in addition to the guys honored).

Having team depth isn't ideal for players getting individual awards. That's understandable. Nolley or Quinones not getting some recognition surprised me a little bit though.
03-09-2022 01:35 PM
Memphis Yankee Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-09-2022 01:23 PM)mustangxc Wrote:  

Agree. The Weathers (both) killed us.
03-09-2022 01:37 PM
SadderBudweiser Offline
1st String

I Root For: $$$$MU
(03-09-2022 01:37 PM)Memphis Yankee Wrote:  

He’s an amazing talent but his turnovers work against him.
03-09-2022 03:28 PM
ShockerFever Offline
Heisman

Good players, terrible coaching.

Etienne shouldn’t have made 3rd team.
03-09-2022 03:47 PM
bearcatmark Offline

(03-09-2022 03:28 PM)SadderBudweiser Wrote:  
(03-09-2022 01:37 PM)Memphis Yankee Wrote:  

He’s an amazing talent but his turnovers work against him.

They put the correct Weathers on the All Conference teams.
03-09-2022 03:52 PM
Advertisement

TripleA Online
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
I don't have any issue with any of the choices, but as a Memphis fan, our only starter I would replace from anywhere in the league would be Kendric Davis for Lomax.

Duren. Williams. Quinones. Nolley. I'll keep all those, thanks.
03-09-2022 04:58 PM
TUCandoit Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tulsa
(03-09-2022 12:15 PM)Stickboy46 Wrote:  
(03-09-2022 11:55 AM)ECUGrad07 Wrote:  Congrats to Tristen Newton! Well deserved! I hope he sticks around next year.

I scratched my head on that one too .. he seemed to be involved in more on court trash talking than most. Maybe it's an off the court award?

I didn't quite understand this one either. I will say the fight with ECU/Tulsa I don't understand why he got a T, he was the one breaking it up but he did yell at the ref "He got punched, HE GOT F'ing PUNCHED!" so maybe that did it. However, he was indeed involved in other instances on court....The media released this about it so I think his off the court was really the reason for the award....

Tulsa’s Darien Jackson Named the American Athletic Conference Sportsmanship Award Recipient

FORT WORTH, Texas –– The University of Tulsa graduate senior guard Darien Jackson was named the winner of the American Athletic Conference Sportsmanship Award for men’s basketball, the league office announced today.

It’s the second major conference award in as many years for Jackson as he was the recipient of The American’s Sixth Man of the Year Award in 2020-21. Jackson is the first Tulsa player to receive the Sportsmanship Award, given to the player who exemplifies the ideals of sportsmanship on and off the court, as voted on by the AAC coaches.

“Darien is a great ambassador for the Tulsa basketball program and our university” Golden Hurricane Head Coach Frank Haith said. “He’s been with us for five seasons and has given so much to this program and will do anything for the benefit of the team. I’m thrilled that coaches around our league recognize the type of competitor and person that Darien exemplifies on and off the court. I’m extremely proud of Darien and the way he represents our team and university.”

Jackson has been an active part of the Tulsa community. He’s taken part in multiple Unity Walks from The University of Tulsa’s campus to the Greenwood District, the site of the 1921 Tulsa Race Massacre. Jackson has assisted with Tulsa PLAYS, helping underprivileged youths get involved with athletics and exercise. He has also worked with the Tulsa Dream Center, a faith-based community center which seeks to end the cycle of poverty.

“It’s an honor to win this award,” Jackson said. “I’m blessed to be a part of this community. I’ve been here for five years and learned the culture and everything that Tulsa has been through, and what Tulsa has built. I’m just happy I was able to contribute in the best way I knew how, and I’m happy to be here.”

The fifth-year senior also interns at Greenwood Rising, a world-class history center which honors the icons of Black Wall Street and memorializes the victims of the Tulsa Race Massacre. He said every day working there provides a new experience and he enjoys helping other people learn the history of the iconic district.

“The Greenwood Museum has been a blessing for me,” Jackson said. “I’ve learned a lot, and every day I go there, I see plenty of different faces and different ethnicities. It’s an honor to be there and help people learn about the history of the Greenwood District.”

On the year, Jackson averages 10 points, 2.9 rebounds, 1.9 assists and leads the team in field goal percentage at .560, while knocking down 39-percent of his three-pointers. He had a career-high 22 points in Tulsa’s regular season finale against UCF on Sunday. Jackson has scored in double-figures 11 times this year, including six of Tulsa’s last eight games.

In 127 career games, Jackson has averaged 6.4 points, 2.6 rebounds and has shot .56.8 percent from the field. He has 35 double-figure scoring games and has had two or more steals in 36 games and five or more rebounds 20 times.

Jackson and this Hurricane teammates face Wichita State in the first round of the American Athletic Conference Championship this Thursday, March 10. Tipoff is set for 2 p.m. and will air on ESPNU.
03-09-2022 05:16 PM
Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

I Root For: Tigers - GTG!

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
I think Horne and Nolley merit inclusion, but selection is a judgement call and I understand a good case could be made for each player on the present list.
03-09-2022 05:26 PM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
Much congrats to Carlton!
03-09-2022 05:35 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.