Bookmark and Share
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

I Root For: Southern Miss

Survivor Champion
Alright, Explain ESPN+ to Me
Act like I'm 10 years old..

I'm kidding.

So I know it'll carry all the games not on the regular ESPN channels, but say I have ESPN+ and USM is playing on ESPN2 can I catch it on the app or do I need to have regular ESPN as well?
03-01-2022 11:05 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

slycat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Texas State
RE: Alright, Explain ESPN+ to Me
(03-01-2022 11:05 AM)gdunn Wrote:  Act like I'm 10 years old..

I'm kidding.

So I know it'll carry all the games not on the regular ESPN channels, but say I have ESPN+ and USM is playing on ESPN2 can I catch it on the app or do I need to have regular ESPN as well?

If the games are on ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, or ESPN3, they are not on ESPN+. Or they might be but you need a cable subscription to watch. ESPN3 is the most annoying one.
(This post was last modified: 03-01-2022 11:07 AM by slycat.)
03-01-2022 11:06 AM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

Survivor Champion
(03-01-2022 11:06 AM)slycat Wrote:  

I'm kidding.

If the games are on ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, or ESPN3, they are not on ESPN+.

Thanks slycat.
03-01-2022 11:07 AM
SENOREIDA Offline
1st String

I Root For: Coastal

I'm kidding.

It's the same app, it will just ask for your TV providers credentials instead of your ESPN+ info.
03-01-2022 11:08 AM
eaglewraith Online
Heisman

I Root For: GA Southern
(03-01-2022 11:06 AM)slycat Wrote:  

I'm kidding.

If the games are on ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, or ESPN3, they are not on ESPN+. Or they might be but you need a cable subscription to watch. ESPN3 is the most annoying one.

ESPN streaming used to be ESPN3 and WatchESPN prior to ESPN+. They've somewhat eliminated that nomenclature but functionally the ESPN player works the same way.

ESPN3 access is provided from your ISP, and the player automatically detects your carrier and allows you access to ESPN3 streams.

WatchESPN required an existing cable/satellite subscription for ESPN broadcast channels. Note, you had to have a subscription to whatever ESPN channel you were trying to stream, as not all carriers include things like ESPNU in basic packages. To access, say ESPN/ESPN2 streams, you'll have to provide valid login credentials for your cable/sat provider in the ESPN player (or through whatever method for mobile/streaming device apps) to access those streams.

For the most part this verbage has gone away, but just remember that any linear broadcast ESPN network (ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU/ESPNNews/etc) will require a valid cable/sat subsciption for those channels to give you access. Your ISP will likely already provide you access to ESPN3 streams at this moment....we do still see some of our games broadcast as an ESPN3 game instead of ESPN+ (I am unsure of why this is, maybe someone has an answer).

ESPN+ is considered an Over The Top (OTT) service. This means you have to subscribe to it separately from their other offerings. Your ESPN login will provide access to ESPN+ streams when you have a subscription to the service.
(This post was last modified: 03-01-2022 11:14 AM by eaglewraith.)
03-01-2022 11:13 AM
APPrising Offline
1st String

I Root For: App State
Think you can bundle Hulu Live TV, Disney + and ESPN+. If you do that, you can just find the games through your Hulu Live subscription. ESPN+ is not as top quality as their main stations or major networks, but is better than say, PBS.
03-01-2022 11:18 AM
Advertisement

TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen
ESPN+ is a separate service. You can stream both their tv content and ESPN+ content through the ESPN app. Anything that’s on a tv channel, you’ll need a cable subscription to watch. Anything that’s on ESPN+, you’ll need an ESPN+ subscription to watch.

If you’re a cord cutter like me, I recommend the Disney+ bundle. It comes with all things under the Disney umbrella plus Hulu plus ESPN+ for $10 a month. That’s all the tv I really need. If there’s a game on cable that I want to watch, I’ll go to a sports bar.
(This post was last modified: 03-01-2022 11:22 AM by TrueBlueDrew.)
03-01-2022 11:20 AM
slycat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Texas State
Reminder that the schools broadcast the ESPN+ games. TXST had a horrible production for the Baylor game last year and then slowly improved. Some schools have their stuff together better than others but be ready for some trash camera work and missing replays.
03-01-2022 11:21 AM
chiefsfan Online
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU

I'm kidding.

So, treat you just like normal then?
03-01-2022 11:21 AM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

Survivor Champion
(03-01-2022 11:21 AM)chiefsfan Wrote:  

I'm kidding.

So, treat you just like normal then?

Yes.. Treat me like I just got out of CUSA... 07-coffee3
03-01-2022 11:26 AM
TTT Offline
#SMTTT

I Root For: USM & G5
ESPN+ is a stand-alone streaming service. These games/content is only available through a stand alone subscription and it's only streamable. It's not linear TV (however you can stream ESPN+ content easily on a smart TV through the ESPN app on Fire TV/AppleTV etc.)

ESPN/2/U/News = linear TV. Generally, your cable subscription with these linear channels...it gives you rights to stream ESPN3 games/content.

ESPN3 games, like ESPN+ games, are only available via streaming. However, one is a stand alone streaming service (ESPN+) and the other (ESPN3) is essentially just a perk for having a cable subscription to the linear ESPN channels.

***CRUCIAL NOTE***

Having an ESPN+ subscription does NOT give you access to ESPN3 content.

Having access to ESPN3 content does NOT give you access to ESPN+ content.
(This post was last modified: 03-01-2022 11:34 AM by TTT.)
03-01-2022 11:28 AM
Advertisement

CardinalBlackTrojan Offline

I Root For: TROY
For ESPN+, isn't it mostly produced by students?

I know at Troy, many of the students from the Broadcast/Communications department help operate the gameday media for ESPN+. I would assume it's that way for many other schools that utilize ESPN+.
03-01-2022 12:04 PM
TTT Offline
#SMTTT

I Root For: USM & G5
(03-01-2022 12:04 PM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  For ESPN+, isn't it mostly produced by students?

I know at Troy, many of the students from the Broadcast/Communications department help operate the gameday media for ESPN+. I would assume it's that way for many other schools that utilize ESPN+.

ESPN+ content is produced in-house (sometimes by students and/or paid university staff). Sometimes ESPN+ production is outsourced by the schools to a media company.
03-01-2022 12:09 PM
AppfanInCAAland Offline
1st String

(03-01-2022 11:18 AM)APPrising Wrote:  Think you can bundle Hulu Live TV, Disney + and ESPN+. If you do that, you can just find the games through your Hulu Live subscription. ESPN+ is not as top quality as their main stations or major networks, but is better than say, PBS.

The bundle is essentially the price of two of the three services, so the third if free. I think at least - I have the bundle but due to a glitch when I switched to the bundle when it was rolled out, they are still just charging me for Disney+.

ESPN+ is great, but then again I like to watch lacrosse, ice hockey, rugby, and field hockey.
(This post was last modified: 03-01-2022 12:24 PM by AppfanInCAAland.)
03-01-2022 12:23 PM
usm99 Offline
Heisman

(03-01-2022 12:04 PM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  For ESPN+, isn't it mostly produced by students?

Not sure on each school's ESPN+ "staff" but at USM some of the camera people are broadcast students but most of the camera people as well as replay, announcers, and graphics personnel are all experienced and it's their "full time side job". The producer/director is a full time employee.

The football play by play tv guy is also the women's basketball radio play by play and the softball tv play by play person. The men's basketball tv play by play person is also the football color commentary guy.
(This post was last modified: 03-01-2022 02:21 PM by usm99.)
03-01-2022 02:15 PM
T-Dog Offline
SunBeltbbs App State INsider

It's good for App fans like me because typically our games are earlier than the western teams, so when our games end, I can make a few clicks and I'm watching the last half of another league game.
03-01-2022 02:21 PM
Advertisement

Big Dub Offline
C-USA Troll?

It's what I use to buy UFC PPVs when I can't find a good illegal stream
03-01-2022 02:30 PM
Porcine Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas, SBC
(03-01-2022 11:21 AM)slycat Wrote:  Reminder that the schools broadcast the ESPN+ games. TXST had a horrible production for the Baylor game last year and then slowly improved. Some schools have their stuff together better than others but be ready for some trash camera work and missing replays.

Some have audio that can barely be heard. The ODU-VCU baseball game has to be turned all the way up.
03-01-2022 04:08 PM
Porcine Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas, SBC

I saw some doing that. I think it was schools back east like Cornell or Colgate.
03-01-2022 04:10 PM
APPdiesel Offline
All American

ESPN+ is an add on subscription that you can pay for by itself or bundle with Disney+ and other streaming services. It's something like $7/month

I interact with it via my phone and my Roku.

On Roku game streams will appear in the "Live Now" section of any live content ESPN has currently available. It'll appear as a thumbnail with school logos or sometimes player images. You can navigate more easily to Sun Belt content by going to the app's "Browse" function. It gives you a myriad of ways to sort content...by sport, by conference, etc.

Schools produce their own content adhering to minimum ESPN standards. How good the broadcast is depends on how much your school is willing to invest.

Every football game and every men's and women's basketball game will be on it. After that select games from smaller and smaller sports will be featured. It's in the ESPN/SB contract but I can't remember the break down.

A cable provider login will get you access to whatever you'd see with your cable package. The ESPN+ add on gives you access to a ton of additional streaming content.
03-01-2022 05:54 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.