Bookmark and Share
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

I Root For: Southern Miss

Survivor Champion
IHL Meeting
MS IHL is holding a meeting today...

http://www.mississippi.edu/pr/newsstory.asp?ID=1736

The Board of Trustees of State Institutions of Higher Learning will hold a special called meeting on Friday, February 25, 2022, beginning at 12:00 p.m., to discuss a USM legal matter.
02-25-2022 11:02 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

forphase1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marshall
RE: IHL Meeting
Good! I was wondering if Marshall was just going to kinda carry the water for all 3 legally or if ya'll and ODU were going to take similar steps.
02-25-2022 11:03 AM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

Survivor Champion
(02-25-2022 11:03 AM)forphase1 Wrote:  Good! I was wondering if Marshall was just going to kinda carry the water for all 3 legally or if ya'll and ODU were going to take similar steps.
It may be one of those things to get on a docket and watch what happened with Marshall first.

I'm hoping our IHL isn't sitting on their hands.
02-25-2022 11:04 AM
APPrising Offline
1st String

I Root For: App State
Let’s say arbitration does happen, what are the chances the arbitrator rules in favor of the SB3? Because that would be absolutely hilarious.
02-25-2022 11:07 AM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

Survivor Champion
(02-25-2022 11:07 AM)APPrising Wrote:  Let’s say arbitration does happen, what are the chances the arbitrator rules in favor of the SB3? Because that would be absolutely hilarious.

Arbitration usually has subject experts. So it won't be Jim from down the road.. But possibly ADs, Conference Commissioners, Sports Law Experts..
02-25-2022 11:15 AM
rokamortis Offline
All American

I Root For: Coastal
(02-25-2022 11:07 AM)APPrising Wrote:  Let’s say arbitration does happen, what are the chances the arbitrator rules in favor of the SB3? Because that would be absolutely hilarious.

What do you mean by "in favor"?

I think a monetary payment is how it will be resolved, just depends on how much.
02-25-2022 11:15 AM
Advertisement

gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

Survivor Champion
(02-25-2022 11:15 AM)rokamortis Wrote:  

I think a monetary payment is how it will be resolved, just depends on how much.

Not necessarily.. Arbitration is used to settle legal matters instead of courts.

CUSA is trying to hold schools in by an injunction. If USM is like Marshall, CUSA would have to go to court and show why USM needs to stay and how they violated bylaws.

What the panel would be used for would be to enforce the injunction, meaning not allowing USM/ODU/Marshall to leave.
02-25-2022 11:18 AM
beefcake0520 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: marshall

CUSA's inconsistencies in the past decade is what is going to get them. They will have a hard time explaining why they only received a partial exit fee from memphis, UCF, ECU, SMU, Tulsa, Tulane and again why they were lax on UAB when it came to the bylaws. Not saying the SB3 will prevail 100%, but I do think those with dollar signs in their eyes are going to be disappointed. When these cases are argued, not in texas, but in the residing state of the university, the facts will be heard for what they are. No party will come out of this unscathed, BUT CUSA is going to have a lot of mud on its face.
02-25-2022 11:33 AM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
USM will basically copy Marshall. They'll file suit in Hattiesburg to request a TRO against CUSA. They'll win that as well and earn a hearing.
02-25-2022 11:37 AM
beefcake0520 Offline
Special Teams

(02-25-2022 11:18 AM)gdunn Wrote:  

Not necessarily.. Arbitration is used to settle legal matters instead of courts.

CUSA is trying to hold schools in by an injunction. If USM is like Marshall, CUSA would have to go to court and show why USM needs to stay and how they violated bylaws.

What the panel would be used for would be to enforce the injunction, meaning not allowing USM/ODU/Marshall to leave.
Contracts are broken all the time, BUT there is a penalty usually spelled out. In this case there is not penalty spelled out. Doesn't mean the legal side of it won't assign one, most definitely will be one. They can't force USM, MU, or ODU to stay in the conference, doesn't work like that, BUT in our case against CUSA, they can force arbitration in the terms of monetary damages if we leave earlier than our contract allows. Problem is, they have to prove that 3 schools leaving early will result in x amount of money lost (tv mostly, which is already $3.50), reshuffling the schedule might take an hour to do lol. That's a tough one to prove. I can not see a judge allowing an entity to hold a school hostage if the school doesn't concede. Damages are the only thing to talk about here.
02-25-2022 11:42 AM
usmbacker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beer
Direct link to live video of the meeting at noon today listed in gdunn's post.

http://www.mississippi.edu/media/
02-25-2022 11:59 AM
Advertisement

HerdFanGuest Offline
Special Teams

(02-25-2022 11:59 AM)usmbacker Wrote:  Direct link to live video of the meeting at noon today listed in gdunn's post.

Well, I forgot timezones existed till I clicked on that lmao
Thanks for the link
02-25-2022 12:14 PM
APPrising Offline
1st String

I Root For: App State

My understanding of arbitration is an arbitrator, like a judge, will hear both sides arguments and make a binding decision to settle the dispute. It could be monetary, it could be that the arbitrator says the SBC3 must stay, or could rule that they can leave without penalty. What is ruled is final and binding.
02-25-2022 12:21 PM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

Survivor Champion
What I find comforting is when I see the IHL members, several have ties to Hattiesburg and USM.

I can remember a time when it wasn't that way.
02-25-2022 12:30 PM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

Survivor Champion
(02-25-2022 11:59 AM)usmbacker Wrote:  Direct link to live video of the meeting at noon today listed in gdunn's post.

Thanks Backer
02-25-2022 12:31 PM
beefcake0520 Offline
Special Teams

(02-25-2022 12:21 PM)APPrising Wrote:  

My understanding of arbitration is an arbitrator, like a judge, will hear both sides arguments and make a binding decision to settle the dispute. It could be monetary, it could be that the arbitrator says the SBC3 must stay, or could rule that they can leave without penalty. What is ruled is final and binding.

Monetary brother, the only reason I could see an arbitrator force a school to stay, is if 1. The effect of them leaving will force CUSA to forgo the upcoming season or 2. They wanted to leave right in the middle of a season. The rest is just normal contract stuff, which means monetary. Since none of the #1 or #2 happened, we are looking at monetary damages, for whatever they can prove and the SB3 counter on, then the final ruling. No one wins 100%.
02-25-2022 12:41 PM
Advertisement

gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

Survivor Champion
02-25-2022 12:58 PM
Troy_Fan_15 Offline
Sun Belt Apologist

I Root For: Troy Trojans
I figured they would go into executive session.
02-25-2022 01:08 PM
usmbacker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beer
Typical. They provide a link to the meeting and then vote to meet in private in an executive session.
02-25-2022 01:08 PM
HerdFanGuest Offline
Special Teams

How longs executive session supposed to last
02-25-2022 01:09 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.