Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Big Ten thinking they are getting ready to get paid!
Pirate Rep Offline
1st String

I Root For: East Carolina
https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/en...2022/02/15

Crazy numbers. $1 Billion a year! While the Big10 are good with the alliance, their alliance partners need to be careful. They already backdoored the ACC one time.

As the Big 10 and the SEC distance themselves from everyone else, I could easily see this industry consolidate further. It's just a question who gets a golden ticket. The question is what this means to the future of the ACC, PAC12, and Big12? Will the Big10 and SEC break away?

This makes for an interesting summer. How does this effect PAC12 media rights negotiations? Do they make any moves? The same for the BIG12 and Bowlsby?
(This post was last modified: 02-17-2022 07:41 AM by Pirate Rep.)
02-16-2022 12:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
RE: Big Ten thinking they are getting ready to get paid!
Big Ten LOVES their Noon/11 am kickoff time slots as that Noon game on FOX was the most watched weekly time slot last year (even over CBS 3:30 pm SEC Game).

Big Ten is smart.to have both FOX and ESPN as partners and they might even add CBS or NBC this next go around.
02-17-2022 08:54 AM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

(02-17-2022 08:54 AM)KnightLight Wrote:  Big Ten LOVES their Noon/11 am kickoff time slots as that Noon game on FOX was the most watched weekly time slot last year (even over CBS 3:30 pm SEC Game).

Big Ten is smart.to have both FOX and ESPN as partners and they might even add CBS or NBC this next go around.

Here's an article that noted NBC's interest I noted above:

https://frontofficesports.com/nbc-to-mak...le-sharing
(This post was last modified: 02-17-2022 09:10 AM by KnightLight.)
02-17-2022 09:09 AM
Meatwad Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF & The Arsenal
the SEC's deal (signed just 2 years ago and doesn't even kick in until 2024) with disney is $300M a year. so the big 10 will almost quadruple that? i don't believe that.
02-17-2022 09:27 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Doubt the B10 gets 3 to 4x what the SEC does. Makes 0 sense, or cents. I do believe they will be in the same neighborhood though. Maybe more $ maybe less.
02-17-2022 09:38 AM
Cubanbull1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF
BigTen will get a big pay day. They and the SEC will continue to separate from the rest
02-17-2022 09:56 AM
Advertisement

Meatwad Offline
1st String

(02-17-2022 09:38 AM)goodknightfl Wrote:  Doubt the B10 gets 3 to 4x what the SEC does. Makes 0 sense, or cents. I do believe they will be in the same neighborhood though. Maybe more $ maybe less.

no they will get more, TV values the big 10 more. the SEC's new deal is still less than the big 10's current deal ($410m per year). i just can't wrap my head around almost 4x more.
02-17-2022 10:04 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
KnightLight Offline
Legend

It still has yet to be determine to see how much more $$$ ESPN will pay the SEC once OU and UT join...as most are expecting their rates to be re-evaluated.

But yes...Big Ten Football (and even to some extent Basketball) is very valuable to the TV Networks and the one thing you want is to have MULTIPLE TV Networks begging for even a slice of the pie....as Big Ten will make more $$$ by having multiple TV partners on their next deal vs what the SEC will have with ESPN owning 100% of their deal (still pretty dang RICH).
02-17-2022 10:44 AM
dave108 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: cincy
(02-17-2022 10:44 AM)KnightLight Wrote:  It still has yet to be determine to see how much more $$$ ESPN will pay the SEC once OU and UT join...as most are expecting their rates to be re-evaluated.

But yes...Big Ten Football (and even to some extent Basketball) is very valuable to the TV Networks and the one thing you want is to have MULTIPLE TV Networks begging for even a slice of the pie....as Big Ten will make more $$$ by having multiple TV partners on their next deal vs what the SEC will have with ESPN owning 100% of their deal (still pretty dang RICH).

do the TV deals for the B10 include the B10 Network? If not, I can easily see the B10 lapping the SEC - the B10 Network is just a cash cow
02-17-2022 10:51 AM
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
(02-17-2022 09:27 AM)Meatwad Wrote:  the SEC's deal (signed just 2 years ago and doesn't even kick in until 2024) with disney is $300M a year. so the big 10 will almost quadruple that? i don't believe that.

The B1G has historic brands and HUGE markets.
02-17-2022 11:56 AM
natibeast2.0 Offline
Banned

I Root For: -
Selfishly, I hope they somehow a prime or secondary game of the week on CBS. IMO, by far and away the best production and I will really miss the SEC’s time slots (I’d sacrifice less money for that production and I really think part of what made SEC so special for last however many years they were on it). Yes, they will get paid and more than the SEC. Hard to understand the why but the Big Ten will.
02-17-2022 12:37 PM
Advertisement

Pirate Rep Offline
1st String

I Root For: East Carolina
Larger implications to college football can be...

To combat the Big10, the SEC could attempt to bring in Clemson, NCSU, FSU, Miami combined with OU&UT taking them pass the $1B threshold. Their conference controlled viewership already exceeds the Big 10.

Big 10 in turns tries to pick up UNC, UVA, UCLA, USC, Oregon, and Notre Dame.

That's nose bleed money and that would be two conferences of 40 schools. They could break on their own with their own governance.

The other P5's need to beware!

I've seen speculation conferences are looking at PODs. They could have 4 pods of 5. Are they trying to go bigger?

It's doubtful this will happen and I'm only speculating, but I bet it's been thought about. I've seen P4/64 stated as a goal in the media so I know from a scheduling standpoint a 2/40 model isn't ideal, but this is different money no other conferences except these two can make. That die is being cast. Governance has been a problem, but to break away reduces many of those issues.
(This post was last modified: 02-17-2022 01:05 PM by Pirate Rep.)
02-17-2022 01:04 PM
bullsbucsfan426 Offline
Special Teams

(02-17-2022 01:04 PM)Pirate Rep Wrote:  Larger implications to college football can be...

To combat the Big10, the SEC could attempt to bring in Clemson, NCSU, FSU, Miami combined with OU&UT taking them pass the $1B threshold. Their conference controlled viewership already exceeds the Big 10.

Big 10 in turns tries to pick up UNC, UVA, UCLA, USC, Oregon, and Notre Dame.

That's nose bleed money and that would be two conferences of 40 schools. They could break on their own with their own governance.

The other P5's need to beware!

I've seen speculation conferences are looking at PODs. They could have 4 pods of 5. Are they trying to go bigger?

It's doubtful this will happen and I'm only speculating, but I bet it's been thought about. I've seen P4/64 stated as a goal in the media so I know from a scheduling standpoint a 2/40 model isn't ideal, but this is different money no other conferences except these two can make. That die is being cast. Governance has been a problem, but to break away reduces many of those issues.

Four pods of 5 would basically create 7-9 conference games per year depending on how things are worked out. You would play the other four schools in your pod, plus 1 game against each of the prior year equal ranked team in your pod (1 plays 1, 3 plays 3, etc), and then you need 1 more game. With a playoff expansion it might result in an overall scheduling reduction back to 11 games. Or you keep the 12th game and everyone plays an extra non-con.

The big upside is that it would give some opportunities to bad schools to finish up higher on the conference boards.
02-17-2022 07:23 PM
TodgeRodge Offline
All American

I Root For: Todge
(02-17-2022 09:27 AM)Meatwad Wrote:  the SEC's deal (signed just 2 years ago and doesn't even kick in until 2024) with disney is $300M a year. so the big 10 will almost quadruple that? i don't believe that.

the SEC SEC SEC deal that is "said to be" $300 million was for only 1 game a week and the CCG......nothing else.....the rest of the SEC SEC SEC content was already owned by ESPN

the Big 10 deal is for all the content not owned by the BTNetwork which is a great deal more than what CBS owned from the SEC SEC SEC
02-17-2022 11:34 PM
Meatwad Offline
1st String

(02-17-2022 11:34 PM)TodgeRodge Wrote:  

the SEC SEC SEC deal that is "said to be" $300 million was for only 1 game a week and the CCG......nothing else.....the rest of the SEC SEC SEC content was already owned by ESPN

the Big 10 deal is for all the content not owned by the BTNetwork which is a great deal more than what CBS owned from the SEC SEC SEC
ok now that makes more sense.
02-17-2022 11:50 PM
owl at the moon Offline
Eastern Screech Owl

I Root For: rice,smu,uh,unt
(02-17-2022 11:50 PM)Meatwad Wrote:  

Cool they only pay for one game a week but get SEC SEC SEC.
That’s like 3 for the price of 1!!
02-18-2022 06:00 AM
Advertisement

ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF Knights
That’s a crazy number, simply amazing.

Can’t believe Rutgers gets to benefit for being one of the last to sit down during musical chairs. Very jealous…

B1G hasn’t shown any interest in adding teams. If you’re getting $1.1B annual offers than you certainly don’t need to expand the footprint. I certainly appreciate them raising the bar on all media negotiations now. PAC, ACC and Big12 won’t command as much but it certainly helps their negotiation with Billion annual being speculated.

The ACC members are going to be upset. Miami has seen the signs and is spending as much as possible to compete nationally and hopefully attract some realignment attention when the GOR expires. I’d expect the ACC members to reach out to the B1G and SEC to request an invite. The ticking time bomb is that ACC GOR. As we get closer to that, all hell is going to break loose.
02-18-2022 06:44 AM
Cubanbull1 Offline
Heisman

(02-18-2022 06:44 AM)ArmoredUpKnight Wrote:  That’s a crazy number, simply amazing.

Can’t believe Rutgers gets to benefit for being one of the last to sit down during musical chairs. Very jealous…

B1G hasn’t shown any interest in adding teams. If you’re getting $1.1B annual offers than you certainly don’t need to expand the footprint. I certainly appreciate them raising the bar on all media negotiations now. PAC, ACC and Big12 won’t command as much but it certainly helps their negotiation with Billion annual being speculated.

The ACC members are going to be upset. Miami has seen the signs and is spending as much as possible to compete nationally and hopefully attract some realignment attention when the GOR expires. I’d expect the ACC members to reach out to the B1G and SEC to request an invite. The ticking time bomb is that ACC GOR. As we get closer to that, all hell is going to break loose.

Actually who you should be watching is Texas and Oklahoma if they are able to get out of GOR and join the SEC prior to 2025, it will give schools like FSU, Clemson, UNC a way to work themselves out of their GOR earlier. If that’s the case the ball will be on ESPN, do they keep ACC intact by reworking their deal or those schools look to get out. Losing those two or three would hurt the ACC. One thing everyone can agree the ACC can’t just wait until 2036 to redo its contract and this BIG contract will be a reminder of that.
02-18-2022 10:32 AM
ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF Knights
(02-18-2022 10:32 AM)Cubanbull1 Wrote:  
(02-18-2022 06:44 AM)ArmoredUpKnight Wrote:  That’s a crazy number, simply amazing.

Actually who you should be watching is Texas and Oklahoma if they are able to get out of GOR and join the SEC prior to 2025, it will give schools like FSU, Clemson, UNC a way to work themselves out of their GOR earlier. If that’s the case the ball will be on ESPN, do they keep ACC intact by reworking their deal or those schools look to get out. Losing those two or three would hurt the ACC. One thing everyone can agree the ACC can’t just wait until 2036 to redo its contract and this BIG contract will be a reminder of that.

That’s a good point. I do want to see how these GOR deals hold up in court. Texas can probably afford to test those waters.
02-19-2022 01:07 AM
AubTiger16 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Auburn/SEC
(02-17-2022 11:50 PM)Meatwad Wrote:  

We'll see how it all plays out lol. Without OU and Texas and without our new deal in place. We distributed $777 million. We will easily eclipse the 1 billion mark as well.

I personally don't like the way this is shaping up. I want college sports. Not two NFL light leagues.
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2022 02:45 AM by AubTiger16.)
02-19-2022 02:41 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.