Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

SBC West
Bookmark and Share
TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

I Root For: Good Times
Exclamation SBC West
The division could take a big step forward in the next few years. Southern Miss in their second year with Will Hall and getting some major additions from the portal. South Alabama in their second year with Kane Wommack. Troy getting an upgrade with a new coaching staff. ULM hired one of the best DCs in the game. Arkansas State could see improvements in year two under Butch Jones. Louisiana will drop some, but probably not enough to hurt the division. Not sure if anything is happening at Texas State. They always seem to be "improved" but it's never reflected on the scoreboard.

No matter what, the west isn't just going to be Troy and Louisiana.
01-11-2022 11:23 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

I Root For: Southern Miss

Survivor Champion
RE: SBC West
(01-11-2022 11:23 AM)TroyFootball05 Wrote:  The division could take a big step forward in the next few years. Southern Miss in their second year with Will Hall and getting some major additions from the portal. South Alabama in their second year with Kane Wommack. Troy getting an upgrade with a new coaching staff. ULM hired one of the best DCs in the game. Arkansas State could see improvements in year two under Butch Jones. Louisiana will drop some, but probably not enough to hurt the division. Not sure if anything is happening at Texas State. They always seem to be "improved" but it's never reflected on the scoreboard.

No matter what, the west isn't just going to be Troy and Louisiana.

This could be a fun division to watch.
01-11-2022 11:24 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
slycat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Texas State
We can just play spoilers. But only to USM, ULM, USA, and stAte. Can't seem to beat UL or Troy.
01-11-2022 11:32 AM
Big Buds Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana
Louisiana is here to stay…we’ll be fine. I do agree the West is improving!
01-11-2022 11:33 AM
CardinalBlackTrojan Offline

I Root For: TROY
(01-11-2022 11:23 AM)TroyFootball05 Wrote:  Louisiana will drop some, but probably not enough to hurt the division.

I'm not sure what to think about Louisiana... they've lost:

8 starters to graduation

4 starters to transfer portal

3 key backups to transfer portal

5 players not on depth chart to transfer portal

If this keeps going at the rate it has been, the Cajuns roster might be decimated.
(This post was last modified: 01-11-2022 11:50 AM by CardinalBlackTrojan.)
01-11-2022 11:48 AM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

Survivor Champion
(01-11-2022 11:48 AM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  
(01-11-2022 11:23 AM)TroyFootball05 Wrote:  Louisiana will drop some, but probably not enough to hurt the division.

8 starters to graduation

If this keeps going at the rate it has been, the Cajuns roster might be decimated.
Yea but good programs bounce back quick. Then again each program is one horrible hire away from total destruction.

I hope that's not the case.
01-11-2022 11:52 AM
Advertisement

FairwayEagle Offline
1st String

We have added a lot of needed interior pieces. But Will Hall had to make major culture and accountability improvements and clear out dead weight and bad attitudes remaining from the Hopson debacle. The S&C program was also lacking. He just added an OC who he's coached with in previous stops who had been at Liberty as OL coach. He dismissed the prior OL coach, where we struggled badly. We should see improved results for 2022, but the real leap forward should come by 2023.
01-11-2022 12:11 PM
usm99 Offline
Heisman

8 starters to graduation

Based off USM's starters the last game of the season here's what we are scheduled to lose:

3 starters on offense - RG, RT, TE
2.5 starters on defense - DE, NT (we had 2 listed as either/or)
1 starter on special teams - LS

Of the 12 or so that entered the transfer portal none were starters or key backups from what i could tell

A plus (hopefully) is that most of the skill position players that contributed were either FR or Sophomores...3 freshman, 1 sophomore and 2 juniors (WR Brownlee and WR Demarcus Jones)
(This post was last modified: 01-11-2022 02:31 PM by usm99.)
01-11-2022 02:10 PM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

Survivor Champion
(01-11-2022 02:10 PM)usm99 Wrote:  

8 starters to graduation

Based off USM's starters the last game of the season here's what we are scheduled to lose:

3 starters on defense - DE, DT, DT

Of the 12 or so that entered the transfer portal none were starters or key backups from what i could tell

A plus (hopefully) is that most of the skill position players that contributed were either FR or Sophomores...3 freshman, 1 sophomore and 2 juniors (WR Brownlee and WR Demarcus Jones)
I looked at the portal and most of those guys look like they put in the portal during the season, so that could've been part of the culture change that Hall has instituted.
01-11-2022 02:18 PM
FrankyP Offline
All American

I Root For: UL Ragin Cajuns
(01-11-2022 11:52 AM)gdunn Wrote:  

8 starters to graduation

Yea but good programs bounce back quick. Then again each program is one horrible hire away from total destruction.

I hope that's not the case.
My prediction is that we will fall from we’ve been, but will still be the one to beat in the west.

The big question is how patient will the fan base be, during this huge time of transition. No matter how good of a coach on-field he may be, replacing the roster and staff is a big challenge. But I don’t think CBN would’ve pushed for him, much less Dr Maggard would’ve given him the job if they didn’t think he could it.

We can never underestimate or forget that Maggard is the real glue in our program, and you can be sure he will keep it together.
01-11-2022 02:32 PM
BirdofParadise Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Louisiana will return
OFFENSE--Starting running back. And, they have plenty to play behind him. Cajuns were loaded at that position. (Now, I"m not naive, losing Johnson and Bailey will have to be dealt with.

Two wideouts...but we had eleven play regularly last year. We're good.

The offensive line needs to be addressed. We return one starter, one other starter who missed all of 2021 with an injury and a key backup who will start at RG.

DEFENSIVELY we lost six starters, but we had great depth at every position.

Our team is far from decimated. But we need to decide who says "HIKE" and address new depth. We probably will still be favored in the West.
01-11-2022 02:35 PM
Advertisement

FrankyP Offline
All American

(01-11-2022 02:35 PM)BirdofParadise Wrote:  Louisiana will return
OFFENSE--Starting running back. And, they have plenty to play behind him. Cajuns were loaded at that position. (Now, I"m not naive, losing Johnson and Bailey will have to be dealt with.

Two wideouts...but we had eleven play regularly last year. We're good.

The offensive line needs to be addressed. We return one starter, one other starter who missed all of 2021 with an injury and a key backup who will start at RG.

DEFENSIVELY we lost six starters, but we had great depth at every position.

Our team is far from decimated. But we need to decide who says "HIKE" and address new depth. We probably will still be favored in the West.
BOP, what do you think of the cinching hires so far? Give us a breakdown of each. I admit I haven’t been following the whole saga very much.
01-11-2022 02:41 PM
RamblinRedWolf Offline
All American

I Root For: Arkansas State
I’m very much excited about the revamped Western Division-it’s gonna be competitive and I think in a few seasons be able to give the East a run for their money
01-11-2022 03:22 PM
ragin4u Offline
WOKE AF

I Root For: Louisiana & Magat Tears

8 starters to graduation

The good thing is that Billy's philosophy was to play lots of guys. Many backups and their backups got quality snaps. I think we do drop off some, I mean we were 13-1, but I'm not panicking.
01-11-2022 04:08 PM
usm99 Offline
Heisman

(01-11-2022 02:18 PM)gdunn Wrote:  

8 starters to graduation

I looked at the portal and most of those guys look like they put in the portal during the season, so that could've been part of the culture change that Hall has instituted.

Agreed as when the first few entered the portal early on Hall made the comment he expected plenty more to depart. And I've said it before but considering that we've lost around 12 to the portal and only 2 have commited or signed somewhere else with both being at FCS schools, about half of the talent level we had in house when Hall started was nowhere near D1 quality IMO.
01-11-2022 04:08 PM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

Survivor Champion
(01-11-2022 04:08 PM)usm99 Wrote:  

8 starters to graduation

Agreed as when the first few entered the portal early on Hall made the comment he expected plenty more to depart. And I've said it before but considering that we've lost around 12 to the portal and only 2 have commited or signed somewhere else with both being at FCS schools, about half of the talent level we had in house when Hall started was nowhere near D1 quality IMO.

The rumor was they sent scholarships all over the place and hoped for the best.
01-11-2022 04:14 PM
Advertisement

Luckyshot Offline
Heisman

8 starters to graduation

12 starters lost is tough, but it's only 20 total players, with the ability to bring in as many as 32 they can quickly get back to 85, I don't doubt they have young talent, so it's just getting that talent starting experience now.
01-11-2022 05:09 PM
FrankyP Offline
All American

(01-11-2022 05:09 PM)Luckyshot Wrote:  

8 starters to graduation

12 starters lost is tough, but it's only 20 total players, with the ability to bring in as many as 32 they can quickly get back to 85, I don't doubt they have young talent, so it's just getting that talent starting experience now.
Agreed. How quickly the new staff can get the newbies going will be an important thing to watch for. It’s why I am anxious to hear what BOP has to say about the new staff. I feel much better after reading his assessment of the players, as he knows his stuff.
01-11-2022 05:24 PM
FairwayEagle Offline
1st String

(01-11-2022 04:14 PM)gdunn Wrote:  
(01-11-2022 04:08 PM)usm99 Wrote:  
(01-11-2022 11:48 AM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  I'm not sure what to think about Louisiana... they've lost:

8 starters to graduation

The rumor was they sent scholarships all over the place and hoped for the best.

It wasn't a rumor. It was well known. One year Hopson and his recruiter Paul Gonella sent nearly 600 offer letters out to HS players across the country. Then they did this:
01-11-2022 05:56 PM
Big Buds Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana
(01-11-2022 05:09 PM)Luckyshot Wrote:  

8 starters to graduation

Louisiana is a very deep ball club. I’m not about to say we sweep the West and host the CCG but we were built right from the top down. Very excited to see what the future holds.
01-11-2022 08:13 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.