Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

CFP Seminfinal TV Ratings Drop (playing on NYE and Blowouts hurt)
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
CFP Seminfinal TV Ratings Drop (playing on NYE and Blowouts hurt)
CFP hates playing on NYE (low TV night for viewing) so it wasn't a surprised that ratings took a big hit after playing on NYE plus much of the games weren't competitive.

https://sports.yahoo.com/new-years-eve-c...32732.html
01-04-2022 12:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TUCandoit Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tulsa
RE: CFP Seminfinal TV Ratings Drop (playing on NYE and Blowouts hurt)
I don't think it has to do with timeslot....People have Alabama fatigue and most "P5" fans are not excited about Cincinnati. Michigan is a step down from Ohio St. Georgia is about par with Clemson. However, Clemson doesn't suffer from SEC fatigue.
01-04-2022 12:17 PM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
(01-04-2022 12:17 PM)TUCandoit Wrote:  I don't think it has to do with timeslot....People have Alabama fatigue and most "P5" fans are not excited about Cincinnati. Michigan is a step down from Ohio St. Georgia is about par with Clemson. However, Clemson doesn't suffer from SEC fatigue.

Its NYE...as its a very low rated viewership night due to so many people going out and having parties.

CFP ratings always drop on that night...which is why they hate it but Rose Bowl has them by the balls (Rose Bowl TV Deal guarantees them 5 pm slot on NYD or on Jan 2nd when NYD falls on Jan 2nd if they do not host a Semi-Final game).

Next years CFP Semifinal games will always take place on NYE due to Jan 1 being a Sunday...and the NFL "owns" Sunday.

Next year's CFP/NYD6 Schedule:

Dec 30th: Orange Bowl
Dec 31st: Semifinal Peach and Fiesta Bowls
Jan 2nd: Cotton Bowl (1 pm), Rose Bowl (5 pm), Sugar Bowl 8:45 pm
Jan 9th: Championship Game at SoFi Stadium LA
01-04-2022 12:22 PM
Advertisement

Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(01-04-2022 12:17 PM)TUCandoit Wrote:  I don't think it has to do with timeslot....People have Alabama fatigue and most "P5" fans are not excited about Cincinnati. Michigan is a step down from Ohio St. Georgia is about par with Clemson. However, Clemson doesn't suffer from SEC fatigue.

Nahh. The ratings sucked last time it was NYE. Its a big night and people have plans. I have no idea why they didnt put the playoff games on NYD. It was a bad decision.
01-04-2022 12:28 PM
ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF Knights
I do prefer Jan1 instead of Dec31

I watched portions of both games but I also had to run around and do family stuff on Dec31. Jan1 was more of a lazy day for football.
01-04-2022 12:30 PM
Advertisement

CougarPoop Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: The DOW!!!
Curious. For context, what's the viewership for the Superbowl?.

And before someone says something snarky like "Google It", Please understand that I do not have internet.

TY.
01-04-2022 06:17 PM
slhNavy91 Online
Heisman

I Root For: Navy
(01-04-2022 06:17 PM)CougarPoop Wrote:  Curious. For context, what's the viewership for the Superbowl?.

And before someone says something snarky like "Google It", Please understand that I do not have internet.

TY.

For context...

11 months ago the Super Bowl got 96.4 million viewers....the lowest since 2007
01-04-2022 06:42 PM
Advertisement

Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(01-04-2022 06:42 PM)slhNavy91 Wrote:  
(01-04-2022 06:17 PM)CougarPoop Wrote:  Curious. For context, what's the viewership for the Superbowl?.

TY.

For context...

Even in a "bad" year---the Super Bowl obliterates any other televised live event these days. It usually gets over 100 million viewers and 40% or better of all the TV's switched on in the nation----nothing else tops that in current times. You have to go back to super TV touchstone events in TV's golden era to beat those kinds of numbers. For instance, the birth of "Little Ricky" on I Love Lucy was only 44 million viewers---but at the time---that represented almost 92% of all televisions viewing TV programs in that time slot that night. Thats unprecedented. The last episode of MASH got 106 million viewers, that was 77% of all the viewers watching in that nights time slot. In the last 6 minutes of the MASH finale , the viewing total spiked to 121.6 million.....but those are one time events. The Super Bowl is every year.
(This post was last modified: 01-04-2022 08:49 PM by Attackcoog.)
01-04-2022 08:33 PM
ghostofclt! Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte
clt says getting away from Nye will help, and invite the island boys!
01-04-2022 09:16 PM
Advertisement

sfink16 Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple
(01-04-2022 08:33 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(01-04-2022 06:42 PM)slhNavy91 Wrote:  

TY.

For context...

Even in a "bad" year---the Super Bowl obliterates any other televised live event these days. It usually gets over 100 million viewers and 40% or better of all the TV's switched on in the nation----nothing else tops that in current times. You have to go back to super TV touchstone events in TV's golden era to beat those kinds of numbers. For instance, the birth of "Little Ricky" on I Love Lucy was only 44 million viewers---but at the time---that represented almost 92% of all televisions viewing TV programs in that time slot that night. Thats unprecedented. The last episode of MASH got 106 million viewers, that was 77% of all the viewers watching in that nights time slot. In the last 6 minutes of the MASH finale , the viewing total spiked to 121.6 million.....but those are one time events. The Super Bowl is every year.

That and no one wants to compete with the SB with good content, saving good content outside that game. I either watch nothing during the SB time period or a rerun of something I saw in the past and liked. I refuse to watch the SB, even when my former team, the Eagles were in it. But I did watch the last M.A.S.H.
(This post was last modified: 01-04-2022 09:40 PM by sfink16.)
01-04-2022 09:38 PM
BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

I Root For: Cincinnati
The CFP Semifinals posted their highest average ratings share since 2014 according to ESPN.
01-04-2022 09:42 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.