Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Game #3 @ St Joes
Bookmark and Share
dan10 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Drexel
Game #3 @ St Joes
We face St Joes tomorrow in a city game. This is always a fun game, though history is not on our side. St Joes is way down. They limped past maryland-eastern shore and then beat the mount. That same UMES team got smoked by temple and beat our old friends Bryn Athyn handedly.

A similar effort as to what we showed on Sunday should result in a win here going away. I am hoping we keep playing well and our depth helps us pull away from teams. I am not sure we want to be in a game that goes down to the wire. I expect Hagan to have a sizeable crowd for this one. Lets help the hawk die a little more

Drexel- 76
St Joes- 62
(This post was last modified: 11-16-2021 01:05 PM by dan10.)
11-16-2021 08:39 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

J.B. Offline

RE: Game #3- @St Joes
I don't have the history available right now, but I don't recall Drexel ever beating SJU on Hawk Hill. Or at least they hadn't in my 30 years following the team. In the last 30 years, Drexel won 2 or 3 times at the DAC and twice at the Palestra. They are numerous close calls and devastating losses to the Hawks over the year. I was personally there for 2 really tough OT losses at Alumni Gym/Hagan Arena. There was another game recently at Hagan that Drexel lost by 1 or 2. And I remember an opening night loss at the DAC where Drexel lost by one or two.

Hopefully we can see this as a new era, dan10 is close with his prediction and the Dragons can win this one handily. I just don't see that happening though.

My prediction...in typical SJU/Drexel fashion....
St. Joseph's 76
Drexel 75
11-16-2021 09:39 AM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

Correct. We are 5-7 overall against them. 2 of our wins were at the DAC the other 3 at the Palestra. We are 0-3 at Hagan, with only '15-16 being close and that was only due to a late run by us to make it close. Spiker is 1-1 against them (ironically both games at home and none on the road/Palestra against them). It was fun alternating home games with them during Bruisers tenure. It would be good for both schools to get back to that. Then again having the Penn game needs to happen too. I hope I am right too, but I am sure it will be competitive. I would just like to see us take control and win one of these games without all of the stress of close games. We are definitely the more talented team in this one
11-16-2021 10:01 AM
J.B. Offline

Overall going back to WWI, Drexel is 10-48 against St. Joseph's. So our success against them has been much better since Bruiser and Spiker got here. Herion and Seymour never beat them, and I'm even sure if they did much against them when they were both in the ECC in the 70's. I guess we'll know for sure when the notes come out tomorrow, but I don't think they've ever won at that arena...ever. So if they can pull off a win, it could be historic.
11-16-2021 10:49 AM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

I just went back to the new Hagan. I dont have a fond memory there since the one game I attended was in 2009 where we brought a busload of DAC Packers to open the "new" Hagan and it ended with a great block by Leon Spencer that went right to the damn St Joes player who nailed the 3 to send it to OT, then we completely got drilled in OT as we were deflated from that bad luck
11-16-2021 11:59 AM
DrachenFire Offline
2nd String

RE: Game #3 @ St Joes
Don't feel good about this game at all as they're comparable in size to Syracuse. We only beat them by 4 last year and they didn't have Cameron Brown in that game and also didn't have anybody like Obinna or Coleman that Butler had to deal with. Feels like an 8-12 point Holy Matrimony War loss and a lousy Thanksgiving dinner next week.
11-16-2021 03:27 PM
Advertisement

hiroshimacarp Offline
1st String

i am excited about a game. it's been a while. i miss the days of walking out of philly gyms in a t-shirt when it's 20 or 30 degrees outside because i want all the city fans to see that it says "drexel" on it. maybe i should just wear a sweatshirt to solve that problem.

i agree with dan about adding penn and am happy to see temple and lasalle on the schedule this year. the city is down outside of villanova. it's time to take our place towards the top.

drexel 68 st. joe's 65
11-16-2021 03:53 PM
hiroshimacarp Offline
1st String

https://247sports.com/college/saint-jose...94/?page=1

always fun to look at "what they're saying". it looks like they think this is a referendum on their current coach. still a sign of disrespect since they look at us as a team they're supposed to beat. we're at least back on level ground with a chance to knock them down and demoralize them.

i'm very much looking forward to this.
11-16-2021 05:04 PM
UofRfan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Richmond
Whats up with Butler? Seemed super limited vs Cuse. Kinda sucks if all conference guy cant play vs athletic bigs or is injured.
11-16-2021 06:27 PM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

(11-16-2021 06:27 PM)UofRfan Wrote:  Whats up with Butler? Seemed super limited vs Cuse. Kinda sucks if all conference guy cant play vs athletic bigs or is injured.

He is too slow and limited against massive athletic guys. He probably played too much in that game, but Amari wasnt ready to play a massive number of minutes. He was brutal. He cant bang and his passing was suspect that led to turnovers, as opposed to helping beat the zone. To beat tall athletic bigs you have to be able to finish strong at the basket, and that isnt Butlers game. He will be fine, but he was out of his league against Cuse
11-16-2021 09:46 PM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

St Joes fans are always full of themselves, so that is nothing new.

Looks like spread is St Joes -2
11-16-2021 09:49 PM
Advertisement

J.B. Offline

TV for tonight.....
This is a perfect example as to why a league wide contract exclusively with ESPN is a bad idea. Tonight's big city rivalry between Drexel and SJU will be hiding behind a paywall mixed in with several hundred other games so only a few hundred will actually be watching. This is a game that needs to be shown on local television, but can't due to the Atlantic 10's ESPN exclusivity deal.

Meanwhile, Drexel's women's game vs. La Salle will be televised live tonight on NBC Sports Philadelphia+, since the CAA's TV deal allows for the carry of local broadcasts.

So I will not have access to watch the men's game tonight as I'm holding out on my ESPN+ subscription until indoor lacrosse season begins next month. I'm also holding out on my Aunt Flo subscription until December 31st.

So I'll be checking in to this site tonight for updates of the men's game from you guys. I'll be watching the women tonight and will provide updates and insight.

Should be a fun night of hoops...LET'S GO DREXEL!!!!!
(This post was last modified: 11-17-2021 02:20 PM by J.B..)
11-17-2021 08:26 AM
hiroshimacarp Offline
1st String

agree with getting more of these nbcsn philly games. i got interested in a-10 basketball when i was a kid by watching st. joe's and temple on saturday afternoons on csn. 6abc always showed drexel highlights so i knew when they were doing well.

you guys need to get the full benefit of flo by watching sprint car racing on there. start with the 100 lap speedstr race from kutztown in august...then pick pretty much any usac sprint car or midget race. kyle larson won the bc 39 midget race so you can get a taste of his greatness. he just finished one of the greatest seasons we're ever going to see from an athlete.

yes...i called a race car driver an athlete. he dropped a racial slur, paid his dues on the dirt track mostly in central pa, then dominated nascar in his second chance while still dominating the dirt tracks. intriguing story overall.
11-17-2021 01:23 PM
Dragon For Life Offline
Special Teams

Drexel up at the half 34-40!
11-17-2021 07:42 PM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

We missed a lot of easy ones, we could be up by a lot. It is nice to be up on the road at half. St Joes is not good, we really need to start pulling away. The longer we let them linger the worse our chances. Game switched to Drexel favored by 1 prior to tip
11-17-2021 07:44 PM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

U12 timeout we lead 50-43. Cam trying to finish the 3 point play after a huge amari block and cam run out. 8 TOs for St joes to our 4. We look way better. Better shots than st joes. Amari getting aggressive
11-17-2021 08:15 PM
Advertisement

dan10 Offline
Heisman

Started to pull away then a bad sequence and its a game. 9:30 left up 54-51
11-17-2021 08:23 PM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

U8 timeout and Butler to the line for an and-1 up 61-54. They have made some runs of a couple straight baskets, then we have responded every single time with something of our own. We are playing pretty well. St Joes definitely taking some tougher shots. Our looks are mostly good ones. If we keep taking care of the ball (starting to get sloppy) we are fine
11-17-2021 08:26 PM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

Timeout Spiker. Hall is killing us now. 7-1 run, now up 1 (62-61). 5:44 left
11-17-2021 08:32 PM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

out of the timeout, great backdoor cut by Bell and he gets fouled. hits both
11-17-2021 08:35 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.