Mr. Garrison
Unregistered

nm
09-01-2002 10:43 AM
Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mu81
Unregistered

It wasn't pretty but we also didn't use all of the playbook. I'm not one to complain about refs but I-AA refs are horrible. Tulane got 4 bad spots that ended drives. One was on a 4th down at the SU 17. Also two of their TD's were set up because of no calls. On a 50 yard option run the pitch was a forward lateral but alas not called. 2 plays later TD. Also on a 50 yard pass play Hayes, their all-american WR threw, mugged, pillaged our DB. He threw him to the ground caught the ball and no flag. And the worst was a TD pass that where they said our WR (Narcisse) was out of bounds. He actually had both feet in! Without the refs we win at least 50-6.
09-01-2002 08:10 PM
BigCat
Unregistered

Whether or not the entire play book was used seems to be a topic. I have no idea but I don't care. After having seen the VA Tech game yesterday, I thought it was interesting how VA Tech stuck to their guns with running the ball. That's their strength, obviously, with the backs and their line, and they looked like they were determined to do that, no matter that stopping the run is probably LSU's strength as a defense, with their linebackers. If Tulane wasn't bound and determined to give the ball to Moore, that would be a bigger question than whether or not they used all of the play book or whatever. Let's consider, too, that the opponent was a lower classification and without that much talent, comparable to Div. 1-A level, in their front seven on defense. Southern never did show they could stop Moore. Why not let him carry the ball? To paraphrase a famous former coach, it's not as if the ball's heavy.

Next week, it's a step up in class, of course. Houston did not have a strong defense last year, at all. I'd say that even if they gang up at first to stop Moore, Tulane still needs to see to it that Moore gets the ball.

Bottom line: Tulane still has a ton of questions and a game against an obviously much-improved Houston team will probably start providing some answers. The defense is looking better but there are linebackers hurt, so it will be interesting to see if the defense can really get the trend going. Likewise, a game against Southern may not have been a good gauge of what to expect from Tulane's new offensive line. We do know about Moore, however.

<small>[ September 03, 2002, 09:39 AM: Message edited by: Fogelmaniac ]</small>
09-02-2002 11:05 AM
Advertisement

Mr. Garrison
Unregistered

Your all's next game is against Houston, so you could very possibly be 2-0.

How's that for a start! Who do you all play after that?
09-03-2002 10:42 PM
BigCat
Unregistered

It's the road trip from the infernal regions. At improving Houston followed by at East Carolina followed by at Memphis. No one else in Div. 1-A makes a road trip to three straight conference opponents on consecutive weekends. Then the topper: come home for Texas.
09-04-2002 12:18 AM
mu81
Unregistered

The reason people say we only used half of the playbook (which we did) is to stave off of attacks from people who ask why we only won by 18 and also more importantly to calm down certain Tulane fans on other boards who will go nameless that are "worried" that we only had 450 yards and 37 points.

As for Moore, I'm all for him getting 30 carries but Williams needs 5-7 touches at least and Davis and Smith need a couple of touches as well. Hoover will be a bigger part of the offense against Houston, count on it.
09-04-2002 07:13 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.