Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ACC/PAC 12 Merger
krux Offline
Banned

I Root For: Louisville
ACC/PAC 12 Merger
I’ve see. Some suggestions of poaching a few PAC 12 teams but why not consider an outright merger? Keep it as the ACC just change it the “A” from Atlantic to American.

Huge media reach, everyone has a home, room to wait for ND. Break it down to divisions with Pods. If the SEC and BIG are considering 24 teams eventually what does 27-28 hurt?
08-07-2021 02:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
RE: ACC/PAC 12 Merger
(08-07-2021 02:19 PM)krux Wrote:  I’ve see. Some suggestions of poaching a few PAC 12 teams but why not consider an outright merger? Keep it as the ACC just change it the “A” from Atlantic to American.

Huge media reach, everyone has a home, room to wait for ND. Break it down to divisions with Pods. If the SEC and BIG are considering 24 teams eventually what does 27-28 hurt?

TBH, a merger of the Pac-12 and ACC makes more sense than anything involving the remaining Big XII teams.
08-07-2021 02:39 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
domer1978 Offline
All American

I Root For: Notre Dame/Chaos
It makes sense, therefore the ACC won't do **** because they possess weak leadership.
08-07-2021 02:59 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(08-07-2021 02:59 PM)domer1978 Wrote:  It makes sense, therefore the ACC won't do **** because they possess weak leadership.

Well if you took the top 8 earners from each you wouldn't like the results. If you took the top 16 combined the results would be better but your divisions would be unbearable.

Eight Each:
Notre Dame, FSU, Louisville, Clemson, Miami, Duke, UNC, UVa
Washington, Stanford, USC, UCLA, California, Oregon, Arizona St., Colorado

Best 16:
Add: Pittsburgh and Virginia Tech
Drop: Arizona State and Colorado
08-07-2021 04:23 PM
Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

ACC/PAC 12 Merger
If it would bring ND in & more $, why not? A full merger would leave to many mouths to feed & not make it financially feasible, I believe. It would have to be a partial merger & be ability to drop divisions. Stick to an 8 game league schedule & guarantee ND USC & 4 others they want to play every year, I could see them joining for this.

Add ND, the 4 Cal schools, Oregon, Wash & Arizona. Colorado, Utah & Arz St join the B12 remnants. ND plays USC, Stanford, Miami, Pitt & 1 more every year (5+3 or go 4+4).

ND: USC, Miami, Stanford, Pitt
USC: ND, Stanf, UCLA, Cal
Stanf: ND, USC, Cal, UCLA
Cal: USC,Stanf, UCLA, Org
UCLA: USC, Stanf, Cal, Wash
Org: Cal, Wash, Arz, FSU
Wash: Oregon, UCLA, Arz Miami
Arz: Oreg, Wash, Clemson, UL
Clem: FSU, GT, Arz, NC St
FSU: Miami, Clemson, GT, Oregon
GT: Clemson, FSU, Miami, Duke
Miami: ND, FSU, Wash, GT
VT: Virg, BC, UL, Pitt
Pitt: ND, BC, Syr, VT
Syr: NC St, Pitt, BC, UL
BC: Pitt, VT, Syr, UL
UL: Arz, VT, BC, Syr
NC: Virg, WF, Duke, NC St
Duke: GT, Virg, WF, NC
NC St: Clemson, NC, WF, Syr
Virg: VT, NC, Duke, WF
WF: Virg, NC, Duke, NC St

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
08-07-2021 05:06 PM
Wahoowa84 Offline
All American

I Root For: UVa
Given that the BIG and SEC are now predators seeking elite brands, collaboration with the PAC makes sense. The ACC and PAC are similar…in relative Conference strength; both have a few elite brands and a lot of average P5 programs.

ND’s football independence would be the awkward obstacle. ND existing rivalries with USC and Stanford actually limit what the PAC can offer to the ACC (or any entity)…IIRC that was the major roadblock for the proposed BIG/PAC scheduling alliance.
08-08-2021 08:06 AM
Advertisement

CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
(08-07-2021 04:23 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(08-07-2021 02:59 PM)domer1978 Wrote:  It makes sense, therefore the ACC won't do **** because they possess weak leadership.

Well if you took the top 8 earners from each you wouldn't like the results. If you took the top 16 combined the results would be better but your divisions would be unbearable.

Eight Each:
Notre Dame, FSU, Louisville, Clemson, Miami, Duke, UNC, UVa
Washington, Stanford, USC, UCLA, California, Oregon, Arizona St., Colorado

Best 16:
Add: Pittsburgh and Virginia Tech
Drop: Arizona State and Colorado

This would be an amazing conference, probably why it won't happen
08-08-2021 10:56 AM
domer1978 Offline
All American

I Root For: Notre Dame/Chaos
(08-08-2021 08:06 AM)Wahoowa84 Wrote:  Given that the BIG and SEC are now predators seeking elite brands, collaboration with the PAC makes sense. The ACC and PAC are similar…in relative Conference strength; both have a few elite brands and a lot of average P5 programs.

ND’s football independence would be the awkward obstacle. ND existing rivalries with USC and Stanford actually limit what the PAC can offer to the ACC (or any entity)…IIRC that was the major roadblock for the proposed BIG/PAC scheduling alliance.
It pretty much killed it.
08-08-2021 11:03 AM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(08-08-2021 11:03 AM)domer1978 Wrote:  
(08-08-2021 08:06 AM)Wahoowa84 Wrote:  Given that the BIG and SEC are now predators seeking elite brands, collaboration with the PAC makes sense. The ACC and PAC are similar…in relative Conference strength; both have a few elite brands and a lot of average P5 programs.

An alliance with the ACC wouldn't be a problem for USC and Stanford - those games would simply be accounted as two more OOC games with Notre Dame.
08-08-2021 11:34 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XLance Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
(08-08-2021 11:34 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  

An alliance with the ACC wouldn't be a problem for USC and Stanford - those games would simply be accounted as two more OOC games with Notre Dame.

Notre Dame has yet to renew Stanford beyond 2024 and USC beyond 2026. Just sayin'.
08-08-2021 01:08 PM
Pervis_Griffith Offline
All American

(08-08-2021 01:08 PM)XLance Wrote:  

Notre Dame has yet to renew Stanford beyond 2024 and USC beyond 2026. Just sayin'.

Your post was missing one of these .... 05-stirthepot

04-cheers
08-08-2021 01:31 PM
Advertisement

Wahoowa84 Offline
All American

I Root For: UVa

But that’s the point…the ACC gets no benefit from USC/Stanford @ ND. The PAC is at a huge disadvantage in collaborating with any other conference (ACC or BIG or B12) because their conference schedule is already at 9 games and their two biggest brands have annual commitments for an extra game. The PAC doesn’t have as much flexibility in starting a partnership…they need to protect USC and Stanford schedules, limiting potential benefit to the ACC.
08-08-2021 03:50 PM
Crayton Offline
All American

I Root For: Florida
(08-07-2021 02:19 PM)krux Wrote:  I’ve see. Some suggestions of poaching a few PAC 12 teams but why not consider an outright merger? Keep it as the ACC just change it the “A” from Atlantic to American.

Is this a Pac-12 goes down to 8 conference games and plays a 9th vs. the ACC? The Pac-12 would likely prefer to negotiate that type of deal with the Big Ten. They are looking at dropping to 8 for that reason. The Big Ten may prefer to keep their 9 game schedule... but is the ACC really looking for western exposure?

There are 2 more ACC schools than Pac-12 schools, but you could even it out by modifying the Notre Dame contract to include 2 Pac-12 opponents and 4 ACC opponents, leaving 10 ACC vs. Pac-12 games each year (ALL counting toward conference races). The Pac-12 opponents would rotate, so USC-ND would still have to be "non-conf" most years.

Teams with annual SEC opponents likely don't want a 9th game, regardless of if its against the ACC or Pac-12.
08-09-2021 01:41 AM
Gitanole Offline
Barista

I Root For: Florida State

(08-07-2021 02:39 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  TBH, a merger of the Pac-12 and ACC makes more sense than anything involving the remaining Big XII teams.

I like it. Pooled resources, great cities, all-day programming--and a built-in East-West Coast rivalry to draw audiences.
(This post was last modified: 08-09-2021 09:24 AM by Gitanole.)
08-09-2021 09:23 AM
NoQuarterBrigade Offline
Go Damn Pirates!!!!!

I Root For: ECU & the AAC

Must be joking. Names taken. There is already an American conference.
[Image: nwo6eS8.gif]

How about the APC? or Atlantic Pacific Conference?

As for the merger idea, …that’s very interesting. I am trying to picture this. First conference championship game ..Oregon vs. Clemson maybe.

I would watch it.
(This post was last modified: 08-11-2021 04:30 AM by NoQuarterBrigade.)
08-10-2021 11:54 PM
Crayton Offline
All American

I Root For: Florida
(08-10-2021 11:54 PM)NoQuarterBrigade Wrote:  

As for the merger idea, …that’s very interesting. I am trying to picture this. First conference championship game ..Oregon vs. Clemson maybe.

I would watch it.
I think it was just changing the ‘A’

American Coastal Conference (ACC)
08-11-2021 01:13 PM
Advertisement

NoQuarterBrigade Offline
Go Damn Pirates!!!!!

I Root For: ECU & the AAC
(08-11-2021 01:13 PM)Crayton Wrote:  
(08-10-2021 11:54 PM)NoQuarterBrigade Wrote:  

I would watch it.
I think it was just changing the ‘A’

American Coastal Conference (ACC)
Oh yeah, I totally got what they meant. I just thought the American part would be a little too close to our conference name.

Honestly thought the merger idea was interesting though. Well worth the discussion. And it would be an answer to the SEC move.
(This post was last modified: 08-11-2021 07:37 PM by NoQuarterBrigade.)
08-11-2021 07:36 PM
krux Offline
Banned

They could set up a mini playoff. 8 regular season games. Game 9 crowns an Atlantic and Pacific Champion. Game 10 crown Conference Champion.

Or maybe game 9 is always an Atlantic vs Pacific matchup but it’s seeded and the top 4 seed get to play for the right to advance to the conference championship game.
(This post was last modified: 08-11-2021 09:17 PM by krux.)
08-11-2021 09:13 PM
krux Offline
Banned

Or they could expand. ACC could add 1 from the Big 12 and the PAC 12 add 3. Then you’d have 3 pods of 15 on each coast.

Atlantic Divison:
North: Pitt, Cuse, BC, UL, VT
Tobacco Rd: UVA, UNC, Duke, State, Wake
South: Clemson, FSU, Miami, GT, TCU

Pacific Division:
North: UW, WSU, UO, OState, Utah
Southwest: USC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford, ASU
Midwest: AZ, UC, KU, Ok St, TTech

9 Conference games. Your Pod, then 2 in each other pod within your division and 1 in the other divisions pod. In year 3 when you’d only have 1 team unplayed in your divisions pod you could fill that with a cross division game. There is no way to play everyone in a 4 year cycle with that many teams but I think that’d get you pretty close while also keeping you mostly close to home.

So like Louisville might have 4 years like this

1: ACC North, UVA, UNC, Clem, FSU, UW
2: ACC North, Duke, NC State, Miami, GT, USC
3: ACC North, Wake, TCU, AZ, OU, UW
4: ACC North, UVA, UNC, Clem, FSU, Stanford
(This post was last modified: 08-11-2021 09:51 PM by krux.)
08-11-2021 09:42 PM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
What does any of this add to a media partner that they can't otherwise get (or don't care about)?
08-12-2021 04:14 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.