Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The Athletic: Amid Big 12 instability WVU could look to the ACC fo for a landing spot
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
The Athletic: Amid Big 12 instability WVU could look to the ACC fo for a landing spot
From the Article:

Would that move the needle for the ACC? It’s not yet clear. The most compelling reason for the ACC to take a long look at WVU is a familiar one: money. The ACC’s media rights deal leaves a lot to be desired; the league signed a 20-year contract with ESPN in 2016, locking it into a long-term deal that will allow its schools to be leapfrogged by their peers in other conferences (particularly once the Pac-12 signs its new deal) in the coming years. Adding a member is one of the triggers that would allow the ACC to renegotiate its broadcast rights contract with ESPN. Every other Power 5 league has a deal that will expire within the next four years.

The ACC would, obviously, like to add Notre Dame as a full-fledged member. New commissioner Jim Phillips made that clear last week at ACC media days, stating that Notre Dame “(knows) the ACC’s interest. It’s been less than bashful since I’ve been here.”

One ACC source told The Athletic on Friday that the expansion conversation “starts and stops” with Notre Dame. “Notre Dame and anyone is a home run,” the source said, adding that WVU would make sense as the 16th ACC member to reunite with the league’s former Big East members.

Also of note: Clemson president Jim Clements was president of WVU during the 2011 realignment scramble, and current Mountaineers athletic director Shane Lyons previously spent 10 years as an associate commissioner at the ACC.

https://theathletic.com/2728213/2021/07/...=twittered
(This post was last modified: 07-25-2021 08:39 AM by Maize.)
07-25-2021 08:38 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
RE: The Athletic: Amid Big 12 instability WVU could look to the ACC fo for a landing spot
I don’t think it would do enough alone. So Notre Dame, yeah.
07-25-2021 09:03 AM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
RE: The Athletic: Amid Big 12 instability WVU could look to the ACC fo for a landing spot
Notre Dame isn’t joining The ACC until they are forced to and they’re not going to be forced to.
Expanding the CFP isn’t going to pressure the Irish.

The ACC needs to make decisions based on the assumption (I hate that word) that Notre Dame will never be a full time member.
(This post was last modified: 07-25-2021 09:41 AM by CardinalJim.)
07-25-2021 09:32 AM
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
(07-25-2021 09:32 AM)CardinalJim Wrote:  Notre Dame isn’t joining The ACC until they are forced to and they’re not going to be forced to.

The ACC needs to make decisions based on the assumption (I hate that word) that Notre Dame will never be a full time member.

Those decisions should not include West Virginia.
07-25-2021 10:54 AM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
(07-25-2021 09:32 AM)CardinalJim Wrote:  Notre Dame isn’t joining The ACC until they are forced to and they’re not going to be forced to.

Agree....
07-25-2021 11:11 AM
random asian guy Offline
All American

I Root For: VT, Georgetown
WVU should have rescinded the Big 12 offer and made themselves available when UMCP decided to leave. In my opinion, that was their ONLY chance ever.
07-25-2021 11:52 AM
Advertisement

CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

(07-25-2021 11:52 AM)random asian guy Wrote:  WVU should have rescinded the Big 12 offer and made themselves available when UMCP decided to leave. In my opinion, that was their ONLY chance ever.

That wouldn’t have been possible. WVU was already playing in The Big 12 when Maryland announced they were leaving. WVU was invited on October 28, 2011. They played their first Big 12 game on September 29, 2012 against Baylor.

Maryland didn’t announce they were leaving The ACC until November 19, 2012. Louisville was invited to join The ACC on November 28, 2012.

You could say WVU was a victim of their own greed. Louisville told The Big 12 that we would honor The Big East’s one year notice. WVU, on the other hand, was willing to leave the next season. If they had waited until 2013 to start play in The Big 12, they might have been available for The ACC. Much like TCU who was waiting to join The Big East when The Big 12 came calling.
07-25-2021 12:10 PM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad

Absolutely. So all this WVU, Cincinnati, TCU, OK State trash is a colossal waste of time.
07-25-2021 12:10 PM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

(07-25-2021 12:10 PM)esayem Wrote:  

Absolutely. So all this WVU, Cincinnati, TCU, OK State trash is a colossal waste of time.

I’m glad its not my decision to make I can tell you that.
07-25-2021 12:11 PM
Statefan Offline
Banned

I Root For: .
When I read something in the Athletic I take it with the same weight of what I read in the Onion or NY Post.
07-25-2021 12:11 PM
nole Offline
1st String

I Root For: FSU
WVU adds no value for the ACC and ND isn't joining the ACC.

The ACC needs to focus on what it CAN change. It just doesn't seem to have the heart to do that.
07-25-2021 12:13 PM
Advertisement

Statefan Offline
Banned

(07-25-2021 12:10 PM)CardinalJim Wrote:  
(07-25-2021 11:52 AM)random asian guy Wrote:  WVU should have rescinded the Big 12 offer and made themselves available when UMCP decided to leave. In my opinion, that was their ONLY chance ever.

That wouldn’t have been possible. WVU was already playing in The Big 12 when Maryland announced they were leaving. WVU was invited on October 28, 2011. They played their first Big 12 game on September 29, 2012 against Baylor.

Maryland didn’t announce they were leaving The ACC until November 19, 2012. Louisville was invited to join The ACC on November 28, 2012.

You could say WVU was a victim of their own greed. Louisville told The Big 12 that we would honor The Big East’s one year notice. WVU, on the other hand, was willing to leave the next season. If they had waited until 2013 to start play in The Big 12, they might have been available for The ACC. Much like TCU who was waiting to join The Big East when The Big 12 came calling.

Va, WF, GT, and Duke were never going to vote for West Va. It's an existential issue for Va akin to BC and UConn. UNC is not likely to piss off Duke, UVa, WF, and GT at the same time. You never hear VT utter a word about adding West Va to the ACC or if they have I have never heard it nor read it. It's obvious that the Athletic talked someone tied to Pitt or Syracuse and those are not the places to divine how voting will go in the conference. If you want to know what the ACC is going to do about something, you figure out what GT and WF agree upon and there you are.
07-25-2021 12:19 PM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

As we learned from former Boston College AD Gene DeFilippo….

"We always keep our television partners close to us,’’ he said. "You don’t get extra money for basketball. It’s 85 percent football money. TV - ESPN - is the one who told us what to do. This was football; it had nothing to do with basketball.’’

Rest assured ESPN will make this call as well.

Personally I don’t believe we will add anyone but again that’s ESPN’s call.
If ESPN offers to increase the media payout for The ACC, the conference will add who ESPN wants.

https://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/2...-expansion
(This post was last modified: 07-25-2021 12:30 PM by CardinalJim.)
07-25-2021 12:29 PM
Statefan Offline
Banned

(07-25-2021 12:13 PM)nole Wrote:  WVU adds no value for the ACC and ND isn't joining the ACC.

The ACC needs to focus on what it CAN change. It just doesn't seem to have the heart to do that.

How about this:

ACC West:

FSU, Houston, TCU, Kansas, ISU, Louisville

ACC North:

BC, Syracuse, Pitt, VT, UVa, Miami

ACC South:

WF, Duke, GT, UNC, NCSU, Clemson

You get 5 division games, 2 guaranteed crosses, and rotate another 2 or 3.

For instance:

Clemson/FSU/Miami as a cross
Kansas/UVa/UNC as a cross
ISU/Pitt/NC State as a cross
Louisville/VT/WF as a cross
Houston/BC/GT as a cross
TCU/Syracuse/Duke as a cross

An FSU annual schedule would include: Clemson/Miami/TCU/Houston/ISU/Louisville/Kansas
A Clemson annual schedule would include:
FSU/Miami/UNC/NC State/GT/Duke/Wake
A UNC annual schedule would include:
Virginia/Kansas/Clemson/NC State/GT/Duke/WF

You add dma's in Houston, DFW, and KC and you wait to see what happens. That probably adds 10 million a year to an ACC payout so you get something like SEC $75 M, B10 $65 M, ACC $55 M - its the addition of the three big metros, entrance into the State of Texas and likely ACC/SEC games involving Kansas/Mizzou, TCU with Texas or TAMU, and ACC/B10 games between Iowa State and Iowa that would also add value. Most importantly, there is not an entity so large and wealthy that the ACC had to do something to move itself out of Greensboro.

Carolina gets its 80 year doppleganger into the conference. NC State, VT, and Clemson add another bonified cow college. We could do worse.

From the ESPN side, they keep anyone from moving to the B10, prevent the Big 10 from getting Kansas and take the best two P12 possibilities off their table.

Then a decade of so later with 32.5 schools, ESPN can decide if it wants to do some reshuffling.
(This post was last modified: 07-25-2021 12:36 PM by Statefan.)
07-25-2021 12:33 PM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: Syracuse

Donators
(07-25-2021 12:19 PM)Statefan Wrote:  

Va, WF, GT, and Duke were never going to vote for West Va. It's an existential issue for Va akin to BC and UConn. UNC is not likely to piss off Duke, UVa, WF, and GT at the same time. You never hear VT utter a word about adding West Va to the ACC or if they have I have never heard it nor read it. It's obvious that the Athletic talked someone tied to Pitt or Syracuse and those are not the places to divine how voting will go in the conference. If you want to know what the ACC is going to do about something, you figure out what GT and WF agree upon and there you are.

How is it obvious that the Athletic talked to someone from Pitt or Syracuse?
07-25-2021 12:54 PM
Bear Catlett Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC
(07-25-2021 12:29 PM)CardinalJim Wrote:  As we learned from former Boston College AD Gene DeFilippo….

"We always keep our television partners close to us,’’ he said. "You don’t get extra money for basketball. It’s 85 percent football money. TV - ESPN - is the one who told us what to do. This was football; it had nothing to do with basketball.’’

Rest assured ESPN will make this call as well.

Personally I don’t believe we will add anyone but again that’s ESPN’s call.
If ESPN offers to increase the media payout for The ACC, the conference will add who ESPN wants.

https://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/2...-expansion

Thank you for reiterating this oft forgotten fact on this board.
07-25-2021 02:50 PM
Advertisement

Statefan Offline
Banned

(07-25-2021 12:54 PM)cuseroc Wrote:  

A. No one from the following would talk to them: WF, Duke, ND, UNC, GT, UVa, VT, and NC State
B. No one from FSU or Clemson or Miami would have said that.
C. BC has finally learned to keep its mouth shut.
D. That just leaves Syracuse and Pitt of which Syracuse is a notorious talker.

In all fairness that does leave Louisville but if the Athletic is dumb enough to listen to Louisville sources guessing ACC votes that's stupid as well.

Syracuse is and always has been the main proponent of the Big East and all things Big East. Miami and VT were just casually using the Big East. Syracuse was a true believer and in many ways represents the heart of that conference. Syracuse has always been willing to look past the genital warts on WVa. 04-cheers

It's admirable on your part.
(This post was last modified: 07-25-2021 02:59 PM by Statefan.)
07-25-2021 02:55 PM
nole Offline
1st String

I Root For: FSU
(07-25-2021 12:33 PM)Statefan Wrote:  
(07-25-2021 12:13 PM)nole Wrote:  WVU adds no value for the ACC and ND isn't joining the ACC.

How about this:

ACC West:

FSU, Houston, TCU, Kansas, ISU, Louisville

ACC North:

BC, Syracuse, Pitt, VT, UVa, Miami

ACC South:

WF, Duke, GT, UNC, NCSU, Clemson

You get 5 division games, 2 guaranteed crosses, and rotate another 2 or 3.

For instance:

Clemson/FSU/Miami as a cross
Kansas/UVa/UNC as a cross
ISU/Pitt/NC State as a cross
Louisville/VT/WF as a cross
Houston/BC/GT as a cross
TCU/Syracuse/Duke as a cross

An FSU annual schedule would include: Clemson/Miami/TCU/Houston/ISU/Louisville/Kansas
A Clemson annual schedule would include:
FSU/Miami/UNC/NC State/GT/Duke/Wake
A UNC annual schedule would include:
Virginia/Kansas/Clemson/NC State/GT/Duke/WF

You add dma's in Houston, DFW, and KC and you wait to see what happens. That probably adds 10 million a year to an ACC payout so you get something like SEC $75 M, B10 $65 M, ACC $55 M - its the addition of the three big metros, entrance into the State of Texas and likely ACC/SEC games involving Kansas/Mizzou, TCU with Texas or TAMU, and ACC/B10 games between Iowa State and Iowa that would also add value. Most importantly, there is not an entity so large and wealthy that the ACC had to do something to move itself out of Greensboro.

Carolina gets its 80 year doppleganger into the conference. NC State, VT, and Clemson add another bonified cow college. We could do worse.

From the ESPN side, they keep anyone from moving to the B10, prevent the Big 10 from getting Kansas and take the best two P12 possibilities off their table.

Then a decade of so later with 32.5 schools, ESPN can decide if it wants to do some reshuffling.

Those adds would lose $ for the ACC, not add to it. MAYBE stay same.

SEC and B1G with next contracts are going to jump the revenue gap to about $25-$30 million.

Houston, Kansas, TCU, don't fix that....they make it worse
07-25-2021 05:26 PM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

Donators
(07-25-2021 02:55 PM)Statefan Wrote:  
(07-25-2021 12:54 PM)cuseroc Wrote:  

A. No one from the following would talk to them: WF, Duke, ND, UNC, GT, UVa, VT, and NC State
B. No one from FSU or Clemson or Miami would have said that.
C. BC has finally learned to keep its mouth shut.
D. That just leaves Syracuse and Pitt of which Syracuse is a notorious talker.

In all fairness that does leave Louisville but if the Athletic is dumb enough to listen to Louisville sources guessing ACC votes that's stupid as well.

Syracuse is and always has been the main proponent of the Big East and all things Big East. Miami and VT were just casually using the Big East. Syracuse was a true believer and in many ways represents the heart of that conference. Syracuse has always been willing to look past the genital warts on WVa. 04-cheers

It's admirable on your part.

So in other words its only YOUR opinion that it was either SU or Pitt. Your explanation above makes that obvious.
07-25-2021 06:46 PM
tj_2009 Offline
1st String

(07-25-2021 08:38 AM)Maize Wrote:  From the Article:

Would that move the needle for the ACC? It’s not yet clear. The most compelling reason for the ACC to take a long look at WVU is a familiar one: money. The ACC’s media rights deal leaves a lot to be desired; the league signed a 20-year contract with ESPN in 2016, locking it into a long-term deal that will allow its schools to be leapfrogged by their peers in other conferences (particularly once the Pac-12 signs its new deal) in the coming years. Adding a member is one of the triggers that would allow the ACC to renegotiate its broadcast rights contract with ESPN. Every other Power 5 league has a deal that will expire within the next four years.

The ACC would, obviously, like to add Notre Dame as a full-fledged member. New commissioner Jim Phillips made that clear last week at ACC media days, stating that Notre Dame “(knows) the ACC’s interest. It’s been less than bashful since I’ve been here.”

One ACC source told The Athletic on Friday that the expansion conversation “starts and stops” with Notre Dame. “Notre Dame and anyone is a home run,” the source said, adding that WVU would make sense as the 16th ACC member to reunite with the league’s former Big East members.

Also of note: Clemson president Jim Clements was president of WVU during the 2011 realignment scramble, and current Mountaineers athletic director Shane Lyons previously spent 10 years as an associate commissioner at the ACC.

https://theathletic.com/2728213/2021/07/...=twittered
I certainly wouldn't mind playing WVU on a regular basis as Syracuse has a long history with WVU. I don't know how this fits into the revenue picture though and if i got to pick, I would take Kansas and someone else to even out the numbers (it could be WVU, Cincy, UConn, Iowa State or someone else, some studies would have to be done). The reason for Kansas is to get a blue blood basketball program and cement the ACC as the best college basketball league in the US.
07-25-2021 09:58 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.