Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

How will NIL changes affect CAA schools?
Bookmark and Share
WMSportsBlog Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: William & Mary
How will NIL changes affect CAA schools?
Thought y'all would find our most recent article interesting; while we go through how we think NIL laws will impact William & Mary, much of what we talk about holds true for fellow CAA (and really, mid-major / FCS) schools across the country.

Curious also to hear folks' thoughts on these boards about the NIL changes & how you think it'll impact schools in the CAA.

Article: https://wmsportsblog.com/2021/07/01/wm-a...-get-paid/
07-01-2021 07:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Dragon For Life Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Drexel
RE: How will NIL changes affect CAA schools?
(07-01-2021 07:11 PM)WMSportsBlog Wrote:  Thought y'all would find our most recent article interesting; while we go through how we think NIL laws will impact William & Mary, much of what we talk about holds true for fellow CAA (and really, mid-major / FCS) schools across the country.

Curious also to hear folks' thoughts on these boards about the NIL changes & how you think it'll impact schools in the CAA.

Article: https://wmsportsblog.com/2021/07/01/wm-a...-get-paid/

It probably won't effect Drexel that much as we don't have a football team but, I would bet that teams that don't play FCS football well may think about disbanding football.
07-02-2021 01:45 AM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

It will widen the massive gap between the majors and everyone else. It will create bidding wars to get players. Schools like Clemson and such already have in place teams to help players find opportunities for endorsements to make money. It will become a recruiting tool and become a bidding war of sorts on who gives a player the best opportunity to make money for themselves while attending. Fringe power players who likely know they wont make it past college will likely start opting to ride the bench at a power school because they can make more money than go to a G5 or below school and be a star.

Non power teams will have to try to flip the script and make them think that a star player at a smaller school vs a bench player at a power school can make more money, even if the path to that money is more difficult and not handed to them on a silver platter, like the power schools will be doing.

In the end the gap will get bigger and I agree teams that miss out on more players as a result will struggle to justify the expenses. Or it will be harder to justify anyhow. Between the covid disruptions and this, I think there is trouble yet on the horizon for programs at many schools as well as conference alignment. Overall this is not beneficial to non-power conferences from a level playing field standpoint. Great for athletes to make money on themselves or start businesses or work side jobs now.
07-02-2021 08:13 AM
WMSportsBlog Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: William & Mary
(07-02-2021 08:13 AM)dan10 Wrote:  It will widen the massive gap between the majors and everyone else. It will create bidding wars to get players. Schools like Clemson and such already have in place teams to help players find opportunities for endorsements to make money. It will become a recruiting tool and become a bidding war of sorts on who gives a player the best opportunity to make money for themselves while attending. Fringe power players who likely know they wont make it past college will likely start opting to ride the bench at a power school because they can make more money than go to a G5 or below school and be a star.

Non power teams will have to try to flip the script and make them think that a star player at a smaller school vs a bench player at a power school can make more money, even if the path to that money is more difficult and not handed to them on a silver platter, like the power schools will be doing.

In the end the gap will get bigger and I agree teams that miss out on more players as a result will struggle to justify the expenses. Or it will be harder to justify anyhow. Between the covid disruptions and this, I think there is trouble yet on the horizon for programs at many schools as well as conference alignment. Overall this is not beneficial to non-power conferences from a level playing field standpoint. Great for athletes to make money on themselves or start businesses or work side jobs now.

Agree with much of this, outlined in #3 of the article! A new arms race has begun. To me, the P-5 needs to create a Super Division-1 conference and stop playing against FCS / mid-major type schools. Doesn't make any sense for "semi pro" athletes to play against traditional student athletes.
07-02-2021 09:09 AM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

Not going to lie, I didnt actually read your article. With that said, most of the power conferences have already abandoned playing FCS programs so that was already sort of happening. Creativity from lower level schools will be paramount to find success with more tools going against us (collectively). Will be interesting to see how it plays out.
07-02-2021 09:17 AM
Dragon For Life Offline
Special Teams

I think Drexel will benefit. I know there were financial issues but overall Drexel is a pretty rich University. I think it can out spend many Colleges in the area for people. Also because, we don't have a football team we can use the money wisely.
07-02-2021 10:12 AM
Advertisement

hiroshimacarp Offline
1st String

i was trying to learn more about the potential impact since i still don't feel like i know enough. i found an article that gave a bunch of examples of deals that have already been struck. it felt really strange to see college kids holding up products and was kind of funny at the same time.

i think it gives kids an opportunity to be creative no matter what school they go to. sort of like an early experience in business. it does give them a third thing to worry about...sports, academics, and now how can i make money for myself. something tells me academics will take an even bigger hit if it even held a piece of the pie before.

a school like drexel in an urban setting could have an advantage. tv packages are going to matter to them more too. caa is good in that area though since we're tied in with flo that has second to none sprint car coverage (just kidding).

basically i don't think this is doom and gloom just yet. top athletes were already going to the big schools anyway. maybe we'd even see worse players go to bigger schools if they're known to be marketable...since they can sell school apparel and tickets to games if they generate a big following.
07-02-2021 03:59 PM
Dragon For Life Offline
Special Teams

I am curious how our players would be compensated would it be just based on potential or performance based? How much would we have paid Damion Lee?
07-02-2021 04:39 PM
J.B. Offline

This is the beginning of the end of college athletics. Sorry for the language here, but college athletics are f*cked. College recruiting will no longer be controlled by the coaches. It will now be controlled by the boosters and greedy as f*ck CEO's who are also season ticket holders for their teams. Example, there are plenty of wealthy CEO's who are Villanova season ticket holders. Nova has a chance to get that 5 star recruit. Now all that the CEO has to do is offer a 6 figure marketing deal for the recruit to become the face of the company, and the company can write off the payments to the recruits as a business marketing expense.

Mid Majors in exclusive markets (CAA schools like JMU, W&M, Delaware, Charleston) might be able to get some good 3 star recruits by having CEO's of local companies do the same by offering 5 figure marketing deals. Schools like Drexel, Hofstra, Northeastern who get very little exposure in major markets will be screwed the most, unless those schools have big boosters backing them.
(This post was last modified: 07-06-2021 07:23 AM by J.B..)
07-03-2021 08:50 PM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

(07-02-2021 04:39 PM)Dragon For Life Wrote:  I am curious how our players would be compensated would it be just based on potential or performance based? How much would we have paid Damion Lee?

The schools are not footing the bill. The companies are paying the kids. They are just business transactions to allow them to make money. The only way the school would be paying them additional money is if the school offers them some type of marketing job where they market themselves or if they are working for the school.

As JB said, it opens the door for dirty recruiting that doesnt have to be under the table now. Rich booster can now have a real open influence on a kid making a decision on where to attend
07-06-2021 06:57 AM
DrachenFire Offline
2nd String

You best hope they don't decide to break away and form a Super D-1. If they do, I feel it won't be under the NCAA umbrella and that'll kill the golden goose. The rights fees from the men's basketball tournament props up a lot of athletics in all three divisions; the NCAA does not receive any fees from FBS football. I've no doubt that any breakaway faction will want that same system in place and, being the huge schools they are, would assume the bulk of the tournament money for their tournament leaving whoever is left under the NCAA banner to gather the crumbs. It'll be a disaster for those left behind at every level.
07-06-2021 10:04 AM
Advertisement

dan10 Offline
Heisman

Shoes are starting to drop. The "fun" is just getting started. MMA training gym in Miami is going to offer $500 a month to every scholarship player on Miami
07-07-2021 06:40 AM
hiroshimacarp Offline
1st String

i would imagine a fair amount of this was already going on. it's just legal now.

ohio state gets busted with something every few years and gets away with it. there was that whole thing with adidas in college basketball. unc had essentially a whole department that didn't exist with no show classes. the ncaa has constantly looked the other way.

worst case is smaller schools like ours give up on sports all together. i don't see that happening. best case is we break down into regional conferences/schedules which we should have been doing anyway.
07-07-2021 06:50 AM
J.B. Offline

(07-07-2021 06:50 AM)hiroshimacarp Wrote:  worst case is smaller schools like ours give up on sports all together. i don't see that happening. best case is we break down into regional conferences/schedules which we should have been doing anyway.

I don't consider Drexel to be a small school, and as a Division I competitor, it's very unlikely that they would give up sports.

Had it been decided that athletes would have to be paid by the schools as a job, then a very large number of schools would be giving up sports. That's not the case. I'm just not thrilled by the idea that the boosters will be able to control the recruiting process through what will basically be bribes. Nothing good will come of this.
07-07-2021 07:24 AM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

(07-07-2021 06:50 AM)hiroshimacarp Wrote:  i would imagine a fair amount of this was already going on. it's just legal now.

100% agree. However with it being legal, also means public. Public bidding wars are going to now exist and have to be accepted. No need to hide anything any more.
07-07-2021 08:09 AM
Dragon For Life Offline
Special Teams

I just want to confirm can a school offer money for a student to attend? Could Spiker say we will give you 50,000k a year if you join us instead of Temple?
07-07-2021 09:52 AM
Advertisement

dan10 Offline
Heisman

(07-07-2021 09:52 AM)Dragon For Life Wrote:  I just want to confirm can a school offer money for a student to attend? Could Spiker say we will give you 50,000k a year if you join us instead of Temple?

No. Money is not from the school itself.
07-07-2021 12:54 PM
bmf25 Offline
Water Engineer

(This post was last modified: 08-10-2021 01:21 PM by bmf25.)
07-13-2021 12:55 PM
hiroshimacarp Offline
1st String

it sounds like oklahoma and texas are thinking about leaving the big 12 for the sec. guy on the radio this morning thinks the nil is playing a role with saban saying his qb will pull in at least $1 million in endorsements. theory is top players will gravitate to sec (don't they already?) and ut/ou doesn't want to be left behind.

i bring this up because a move like this could have a domino effect throughout college sports. big 12 may raid another conference, then that conference raids another conference, and so on. the trickle down effect could hit the caa. i could see jmu making a jump to something like conference usa.
07-22-2021 08:49 AM
Dragon For Life Offline
Special Teams

It has been a few years since the big Conference realignment. It is kind of due for a change. As long as we get a JMU level school coming in or a merger of the Big South/other mid major conference would be great!
07-22-2021 09:16 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.