Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

News LPGA Pulls Tournament From Portland (And other events the city has lost)
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
LPGA Pulls Tournament From Portland (And other events the city has lost)
Quote:The city of Portland has had a tumultuous year.

Mass protests — some would call riots — took place for months on end after the death of George Floyd, the city removed $15 million from the Portland Police Bureau’s budget, and homelessness has become a major issue. According to The Daily Wire, Portland saw 50 murders in 2020 — a 52% increase from the 33 murders in 2019.

One of Oregon’s longest annual golf events — the LPGA Cambia Portland Classic — has taken notice, and is moving its 2021 tournament away from Portland to Oregon Golf Club in West Linn.

The decision was made due to safety concerns, as organizers of the tournament cited a nearby homeless encampment as the reason for the move.

“It was a really tough decision,” said Tom Maletis, president of the Tournament Golf Foundation. “We are frustrated and disappointed about the move. But it’s just something that we feel is best for the tournament and everyone involved.” The Tournament Golf Foundation is the Portland-based nonprofit organization that runs the event.

The event was scheduled to take place at Columbia Edgewater Country Club, a private golf club located on the edge of the Columbia River in Portland, Oregon. According to The Oregonian, the area around the golf course has become overwhelmed by one of the city’s largest homeless encampments.

The encampment is located close to the entrance to the private golf club, surrounding a nearby parking lot where attendees, players, and media would park their vehicles for the tournament.

The Oregonian states, “Both sides of 33rd (a nearby road) are dotted with run-down RVs, trailers, tents, makeshift housing structures, and mounds of rubble and garbage. As Portland’s homeless crisis has spiraled further out of control during the coronavirus pandemic, the stretch of road has quietly grown into one of the city’s largest encampments, transforming a tree-lined stretch with large bike lanes into an eyesore, fire hazard and — Portland Classic organizers say — a safety hazard.”

Organizers and officials from the city have been working on a solution — officials told the organizers the hope was to have the area around the course cleaned up before the September tournament — but were unable to get a guarantee, thus the decision to move the event.

“They gave us some positive feedback,” Maletis said. “It’s possible a solution could have come to fruition. But it wasn’t anything we could rely on and we were not completely convinced our concerns would be addressed and taken care of it. As much as we wanted to kind of hang tight and hope everything would be all right, we just didn’t really know.”

“With so much planning with the golf course and their staff‚” Maletis continued, “and so much infrastructure that has to be completed, we were running up against a deadline to put on a first-class tournament and have time available to execute what has to be done to stage an event of this magnitude.”

Travel Portland released a statement following the news of the tournament’s relocation:

We were disappointed to learn of LPGA’s decision to relocate the Cambia Tournament to another nearby golf course in Oregon. Of course, we respect their decision. Travel Portland works with the organizer to arrange hotel blocks and we still expect to see some business from the tournament. We hope they have a successful tournament and we will do everything we can to bring this tournament back to Portland next year.

The Portland Classic is just the latest sporting event to be impacted by Portland’s safety issues. The NCAA denied the city’s bid to host the Women’s Final Four in October 2020, citing concerns over the city’s declining image and the state of downtown Portland.

Portland is also attempting to bring a Major League Baseball franchise to the city but is running into roadblocks as violence in the city has become a major issue.

According to The Oregonian, MLB commissioner Rob Manfred was set to travel to Portland after last year’s World Series to discuss possible expansion, but the meeting was canceled after the Oregon Historical Society was vandalized by rioters.

Link

Portland is not a safe city.

Portland leadership is not fixing the problems.

Portland does not deserve to host sporting events.
06-24-2021 02:33 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

stinkfist Online
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
RE: LPGA Pulls Tournament From Portland (And other events the city has lost)
dykes on spikes don’t feel safe in pdx?!

#muhIrony
06-24-2021 02:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bronco'14 Online
WMU

I Root For: WMU Broncos
I don't care if it's Portland or Atlanta: can we please get politics out of sports??? NOW!
(This post was last modified: 06-24-2021 02:44 PM by Bronco'14.)
06-24-2021 02:43 PM
UofMstateU Online
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
(06-24-2021 02:43 PM)Bronco14 Wrote:  I don't care if it's Portland or Atlanta: can we please get politics out of sports??? NOW!

I agree, but this isnt political. This is a legitimate safety concern. Portland has shown time and again that when rioters go after something, the city can not or will not stop it.
06-24-2021 03:06 PM
Advertisement

AdoptedMonarch Online
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
(06-24-2021 02:43 PM)Bronco14 Wrote:  I don't care if it's Portland or Atlanta: can we please get politics out of sports??? NOW!

To quote Bartlett on another thread, there's no putting that genie back in the bottle.

Politicians, municipalities, sports franchises and the media have politicized EVERYTHING in order to advance a progressive narrative. Posters on a smalltime (sorry gts) college sports forum are the last people to be lectured about keeping their comments apolitical.
06-24-2021 03:18 PM
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
(06-24-2021 03:06 PM)UofMstateU Wrote:  

I agree, but this isnt political. This is a legitimate safety concern. Portland has shown time and again that when rioters go after something, the city can not or will not stop it.

When Portland hosted Denver in the playoffs, weekday games were early evening and weekend games were early afternoon.
06-24-2021 03:18 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
Quote:Portland is also attempting to bring a Major League Baseball franchise to the city but is running into roadblocks as violence in the city has become a major issue.

According to The Oregonian, MLB commissioner Rob Manfred was set to travel to Portland after last year’s World Series to discuss possible expansion, but the meeting was canceled after the Oregon Historical Society was vandalized by rioters.
First I’m hearing about it.
The idea of MLB expansion seems stupid in the first place, for a variety of reasons, but I suppose the right places (Orlando? San Antonio?) could make it work.

But even before the riots, the idea of Portland as a MLB expansion-site was on the edge between make-believe and science-fiction.
06-24-2021 03:46 PM
Advertisement

fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
(06-24-2021 03:18 PM)CrimsonPhantom Wrote:  
(06-24-2021 03:06 PM)UofMstateU Wrote:  

When Portland hosted Denver in the playoffs, weekday games were early evening and weekend games were early afternoon.
Nope

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
06-24-2021 03:50 PM
TheOriginalBigApp Offline
1st String

I Root For: Appalachian
this is an attempt by the LPGA to draw (some) attention. Attendance at their events is paltry, this one is no different.

Good luck to 'em.
06-24-2021 05:32 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
(06-24-2021 05:32 PM)TheOriginalBigApp Wrote:  this is an attempt by the LPGA to draw (some) attention. Attendance at their events is paltry, this one is no different.
True.

But it’s also true that Portland is a terrible place to try and hold an organized, professional/public event right now.
06-24-2021 05:52 PM
Advertisement

stinkfist Online
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
(06-24-2021 03:18 PM)AdoptedMonarch Wrote:  

To quote Bartlett on another thread, there's no putting that genie back in the bottle.

Politicians, municipalities, sports franchises and the media have politicized EVERYTHING in order to advance a progressive narrative. Posters on a smalltime (sorry gts) college sports forum are the last people to be lectured about keeping their comments apolitical.

may I summarize with, “soccer mummies IX”

@yeahButches
06-24-2021 10:19 PM
JMUDunk Online
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

I Root For: Freedom
LPGA Pulls Tournament From Portland (And other events the city has lost)

Is personal and public safety now political?

Can you imagine the liability issues trying to pull off a pro golf tourney in that environment?

No chance they try that. Nothing political in the least.
(This post was last modified: 06-25-2021 05:13 AM by JMUDunk.)
06-25-2021 05:10 AM
TigerBlue4Ever Offline
Unapologetic A-hole

I Root For: yo mama

How is this political? It's a safety issue and a legitimate one at that. Now you can argue that the politics of those involved in running that city down are in play but I suspect many of those involved in the rioting, protesting etc are simply along for the ride. And the politics of those in leadership positions is certainly worth discussion but at its core this is a safety issue.
06-25-2021 05:26 AM
Advertisement

TigerBlue4Ever Offline
Unapologetic A-hole

I Root For: yo mama
(06-24-2021 03:18 PM)AdoptedMonarch Wrote:  

Hey wait just a sec! 03-lmfao04-cheers
06-25-2021 05:27 AM
TheOriginalBigApp Offline
1st String

I Root For: Appalachian
yep, #DefundThePolice, ACAB, 'autonomous zones' and the 2nd and 3rd level of effects of all that isn't political.

CLOWN WORLD
06-25-2021 07:10 AM
Kyle Mack Offline
Banned

I Root For: Cincinnati Bearcats
Country Clubs and white golfers Antifa was likely foaming at the mouth.
06-25-2021 07:50 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.