Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

News Pelosi Tries to Slip Tax Break for Rich Democrats into Infrastructure Bill
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
Pelosi Tries to Slip Tax Break for Rich Democrats into Infrastructure Bill
Quote:House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said she supports including a provision that would reduce taxes for some wealthy homeowners in a massive infrastructure measure Congress will consider in the coming months.

“Hopefully, we can get it into the bill,” the California Democrat told reporters at a virtual press conference Thursday.

A group of Democrats from high-tax states says it won’t back Biden’s infrastructure plan unless it repeals a $10,000 cap on deductions for property taxes that was imposed under the Trump-era tax law.

The State and Local Tax, or SALT, deduction cap affected millions of homeowners in high-tax blue states. The revenue was used to fund part of the overall 2017 tax cut bill, which reduced corporate and individual rates.

Pelosi called the cap “mean-spirited” and “a political action on the part of the Republicans.”

California is among the states impacted by the SALT cap, along with New York, New Jersey, and other places with high property taxes and expensive real estate.

Republicans immediately attacked the idea of eliminating the cap.

“Restoring the SALT deduction would once again force low- and middle-income people to subsidize wealthy individuals in high-tax states and municipalities,” Sen. Pat Toomey, a Pennsylvania Republican, said.

Pelosi, however, may have little choice but to try to repeal the SALT cap in the infrastructure bill.

A group of House Democrats issued a statement this week threatening to vote against the infrastructure bill unless the SALT deduction cap is eliminated.

Biden’s infrastructure proposal would raise corporate tax rates, and he is also expected at some point to hike takes on household incomes above $400,000 and expand the estate and capital gains taxes.

“We will not accept any changes to the tax code that do not restore the SALT deduction,” Reps. Bill Pascrell and Josh Gottheimer, both of New Jersey, and Tom Suozzi, of New York, said in a statement.

Democrats control a mere three-seat majority and can’t pass the infrastructure measure with a trio of defections.

“I’m sympathetic to their position,” Pelosi said. “I will withhold any comment about whether you can vote for a bill or not until you see what the bill is.“

Republicans have criticized past efforts by the Democrats to repeal the SALT cap. They say removing the cap bails out high-tax states and wealthy homeowners and should remain in place.

The Tax Policy Center determined "few middle-income households would benefit" from eliminating the cap.

Link
04-05-2021 12:16 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

maximus Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
Pelosi Tries to Slip Tax Break for Rich Democrats into Infrastructure Bill
It is no infrastructure bill.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
04-05-2021 12:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BartlettTigerFan Online
Have gun Will travel

I Root For: Freedom
RE: Pelosi Tries to Slip Tax Break for Rich Democrats into Infrastructure Bill
Of course it isn't
04-05-2021 12:43 PM
banker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
Tax the rich*.

* unless they are our donors.
04-05-2021 12:49 PM
Advertisement

No2rdame Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis, ND
(04-05-2021 12:42 PM)maximus Wrote:  It is no infrastructure bill.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

It is an infrastructure bill, just not for American infrastructure. I'm sure we'll help build roads to the local abortion clinic we will be expected to fund in Zimbabwe or to ensure that central American countries and Mexico to have better roads so they can transport illegal aliens in faster.
04-05-2021 01:21 PM
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State

04-06-2021 09:45 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Hambone10 Online
Hooter

I Root For: My Kids

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
This ABSOLUTELY demonstrates the hypocrisy of Democrats and their populist message... exposing it as a LIE

This isn't about whether or not these are good ideas. This is about Democrats TELLING us they support the poor and middle class 'against' the wealthy, but when it comes to actually taxing the wealthy, they do nothing.

One of the key features when we were sold the ACA was the 'Cadillac Tax'... which was finally put to bed after being delayed for more than 10 years. NO OTHER FEATURE of the financing side of the ACA was delayed at all, but this tax SPECIFICALLY on who are essentially the 'healthcare wealthy' was NEVER put into place. They can't blame Republicans because they passed the bill without Republicans, and decided IN THE BILL to delay the implementation for many years.

Trump passes a bill that only affects the wealthy, and Democrats complain. Now when they have a chance... BEFORE the do things they campaigned on like reducing student loans and gun control and everything else, they eliminate the cap on taxes for the wealthy. What makes this horrible is that PROPERTY tax deductions are perhaps THE easiest tax to implement. Property is registered... Everyone knows who owns it. It doesn't matter if you live here or not... it doesn't matter how many shell corporations or trusts or whatever else... If you own, you owe. If you don't pay, we place a lien and eventually take the property. Its REALLY simple.

Biden doesn't put forth a plan for this, but as if on clue, he comes in with the idea that he will increase taxes on corporations high earners (who have for decades shown the ability to avoid paying... Amusingly, ONE thing a company could do is to now take advantage of the TAX BREAK on Cadillac plans that they just created for them to lower their reported earnings and increase the company expenses, thus reduce the revenue on which they pay taxes)... and then to increase taxes on estates and capital gains.... taxes the wealthy ALSO have shown decades of ability to avoid.

These sort of tax increase threats don't hurt the wealthy... who have already set up all the mechanisms to avoid these taxes. In fact, such mechanisms are now MORE VALUABLE as a result of the rise. This makes it more expensive for THE NEXT group of wealthy people, not the CURRENT group of wealthy people. This is a GIFT to the wealthy and PROTECTS them.

Read that again. This truth needs to be spread. They are PROTECTING the wealthy, not TAXING them. The people they are taxing are the guys today who will come up with an idea that will change the world... They are keeping the wealthy guys club exclusive, and making 'the almost wealthy' or the 'trying to be wealthy' pay for it.

And JUST LIKE they did with the Cadillac Tax they never put into place and by repealing the property tax cap... They will TALK a good game, and then when the rubber meets the road, they will protect the very people you VOTED to 'tax'.

There is a VERY GOOD REASON why many very wealthy people support Democrats... and its NOT because they want to pay more taxes... something they could do already WITHOUT being 'forced' to by the government. There is no law that says that you MUST take every deduction you are entitled to. Not one.

Don't talk about red state blue state. There are high property tax payers everywhere. Talk to those who are voting for democrats because they think they are going to 'tax the rich'.
(This post was last modified: 04-06-2021 10:27 AM by Hambone10.)
04-06-2021 10:25 AM
Advertisement

Was SoMs Eagle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Mustard Buzzard
As someone here said, SUCKERS!
04-06-2021 10:52 AM
UofMstateU Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
People who voted for these idiots got fooled again.

No $2000 for you.

Tax breaks for me.

Also, this is Pelosi basically admitting that Trump didnt give tax breaks to the rich.
04-06-2021 10:53 AM
Was SoMs Eagle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Mustard Buzzard
(04-06-2021 10:53 AM)UofMstateU Wrote:  People who voted for these idiots got fooled again.

No $2000 for you.

Tax breaks for me.

Also, this is Pelosi basically admitting that Trump didnt give tax breaks to the rich.

As a matter of fact it raised Trumps taxes a lot.
04-06-2021 10:55 AM
Advertisement

Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
Republicans need to start making political hay out of the democrats' love affair with the "rich." Democrats keep saying that they favor the "working class" against the "rich," but what they really do is favor the non-working welfare class. They penalize the working middle class, and also insulate the uber-rich from the rest of us. Republicans need to re-draw the economic line between democrat and republican voters. Trump gained votes among both the blue-collar working class and people of color. Those are both gains that republicans can seize upon and grow. But not in their current mode.
04-06-2021 10:56 AM
Hambone10 Online
Hooter

(04-06-2021 10:56 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  Republicans need to start making political hay out of the democrats' love affair with the "rich." Democrats keep saying that they favor the "working class" against the "rich," but what they really do is favor the non-working welfare class. They penalize the working middle class, and also insulate the uber-rich from the rest of us. Republicans need to re-draw the economic line between democrat and republican voters. Trump gained votes among both the blue-collar working class and people of color. Those are both gains that republicans can seize upon and grow. But not in their current mode.

Agreed...

But I think they need to do it in a way that gets democrats to turn on themselves... which of course the establishment will try and turn against Republicans (deflection is their favorite tactic)...

Stop trying to get them to be smarter, and instead make them simply better able to connect dots... and take advantage of the inherent skepticism that exists today.

Its one thing to convince people to vote for things they don't agree with. Its something else to simply stop them from voting for things they know are lies.
04-06-2021 11:22 AM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(04-06-2021 11:22 AM)Hambone10 Wrote:  
(04-06-2021 10:56 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  Republicans need to start making political hay out of the democrats' love affair with the "rich." Democrats keep saying that they favor the "working class" against the "rich," but what they really do is favor the non-working welfare class. They penalize the working middle class, and also insulate the uber-rich from the rest of us. Republicans need to re-draw the economic line between democrat and republican voters. Trump gained votes among both the blue-collar working class and people of color. Those are both gains that republicans can seize upon and grow. But not in their current mode.
Agreed...
But I think they need to do it in a way that gets democrats to turn on themselves... which of course the establishment will try and turn against Republicans (deflection is their favorite tactic)...
Stop trying to get them to be smarter, and instead make them simply better able to connect dots... and take advantage of the inherent skepticism that exists today.
Its one thing to convince people to vote for things they don't agree with. Its something else to simply stop them from voting for things they know are lies.

Exactly, my friend.

Hey, you and RUOwls need to come up and play Walden some time, now that he is back in this area. It ain't Pebble, so it's not what he's used to, but when the wind is blowing there are a couple of spots that might remind him of home. I'm not playing worth a damn now, so I'll basically just be a tour guide, but I think we could have a good time.
(This post was last modified: 04-06-2021 11:32 AM by Owl 69/70/75.)
04-06-2021 11:29 AM
Advertisement

Hambone10 Online
Hooter

(04-06-2021 11:29 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
Agreed...

Exactly, my friend.

Hey, you and RUOwls need to come up and play Walden some time, now that he is back in this area. It ain't Pebble, so it's not what he's used to, but when the wind is blowing there are a couple of spots that might remind him of home. I'm not playing worth a damn now, so I'll basically just be a tour guide, but I think we could have a good time.

I don't play anymore... RU does. Maybe we can just have a cocktail lol?
04-06-2021 02:01 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(04-06-2021 02:01 PM)Hambone10 Wrote:  
Agreed...
Exactly, my friend.

I'm sure we could arrange that. He needs to learn some of the watering holes in this part of the country.
04-06-2021 06:15 PM
stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
(04-06-2021 06:15 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
(04-06-2021 02:01 PM)Hambone10 Wrote:  
Agreed...
Exactly, my friend.

I'm sure we could arrange that. He needs to learn some of the watering holes in this part of the country.

lol.....what a dump.... 04-cheers

[Image: e863474e8e26857ca0f26d04_m.jpg]
04-06-2021 06:28 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.