1966 #1 Notre Dame vs #2 Michigan State
1967 #1 UCLA vs #2 USC
1969 #1 Texas vs #2 Arkansas
1971 #1 Nebraska vs #2 Oklahoma
1986 #1 Miami vs #2 Penn State
1991 #1 Florida State vs #2 Miami
1993 #1 Florida State vs #2 Notre Dame
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
College Football Game of the Century
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
College Football Game of the Century
2021 is the 50th anniversary of what was dubbed the Game of the Century between #1 Nebraska and #2 Oklahoma. It is now notable since Nebraska tried to duck out of this year's game scheduled because of that anniversary.

But this wasn't the only 20th Century game dubbed (in advance) the Game of The Century. It was only one of ten. So which one truly was the one and only Game of the 20th Century?

Vote in this poll to once and for all answer that question.
03-13-2021 12:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
RE: College Football Game of the Century
(03-13-2021 12:55 PM)ken d Wrote:  2021 is the 50th anniversary of what was dubbed the Game of the Century between #1 Nebraska and #2 Oklahoma. It is now notable since Nebraska tried to duck out of this year's game scheduled because of that anniversary.

But this wasn't the only 20th Century game dubbed (in advance) the Game of The Century. It was only one of ten. So which one truly was the one and only Game of the 20th Century?

First, I do not see a poll.

Second, IMO, and I can only speak as someone having watching college football since 1969, the 1971 OU vs UNL game is the true Game of the Century.
03-13-2021 12:58 PM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-13-2021 12:58 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(03-13-2021 12:55 PM)ken d Wrote:  2021 is the 50th anniversary of what was dubbed the Game of the Century between #1 Nebraska and #2 Oklahoma. It is now notable since Nebraska tried to duck out of this year's game scheduled because of that anniversary.

Second, IMO, and I can only speak as someone having watching college football since 1969, the 1971 OU vs UNL game is the true Game of the Century.

It should be there now.
03-13-2021 01:03 PM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

The 1935 game was played the year before the AP started ranking teams. It was hyped because this was the first ever meeting between two storied programs (neither of whom were retroactively recognized as a national champion. All the others were played during my lifetime, though I wasn't paying attention for the first two.
03-13-2021 01:08 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
(03-13-2021 12:58 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  

The poll usually has to be added after the person posts the thread, so there will be a few minute lag as the person puts the poll together.

ND/MSU and OU/NU are the two that pop to my mind, without any research. When I see those games on tv or YouTube, they have a “the whole world is watching” feel.
03-13-2021 01:27 PM
SlyFox Offline
1st String

I Root For: Liberty
Nixon dropping in via Marine 1 to hand the trophy to the Longhorns gives that Texas-Arkansas game a little extra mystique particularly back when national TV games were such a premium.
03-13-2021 01:51 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SoCalBobcat78 Offline
All American

I Root For: TXST, UCLA, CBU
This is a tough list, but I have to go with Miami vs Penn State. Besides matching the top two teams, both unbeaten, in a season ending game, the hype leading up to the game was fun. Who can forget Miami's Jerome Brown's quote at dinner a few days before the game:

Brown: Did the Japanese go and sit down and have dinner with Pearl Harbor before they bombed 'em?
The other Hurricanes: (in chorus) No!!!
Brown: Fellas, lets go!

And with that, the Hurricanes left the dinner. Watching it on TV, that may have been the hardest hitting football game I have ever watched. Miami was the better team in my opinion, but Penn State played a great game that night. Texas vs Arkansas was a very close second and Michigan State vs Notre Dame might have been the choice, but Ara Parseghian decided to play for a tie at the end. A game that could have made the list was Notre Dame (#1) vs USC (#2) at the end of the 1988 season at the Coliseum in LA. Both were 10-0, but the game was not that close, with Notre Dame winning 27-10. I was at the game among the 93,000 plus fans and it was a great atmosphere, one you don't get too often at a college football game in Southern California.
(This post was last modified: 03-13-2021 05:50 PM by SoCalBobcat78.)
03-13-2021 03:26 PM
Arch Stanton Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Notre Dame
I chose MichState vs ND

I would rank the top three as:

Mich St vs ND
Ok vs Neb
Tex vs Ark

I wasn't alive for any of the above so my vote and ranking is from what I read and watched along with some ND bias.

My criteria for game of the century status is that the game be played in the regular season which ruled out Miami vs Penn St
03-13-2021 05:25 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(03-13-2021 03:26 PM)SoCalBobcat78 Wrote:  This is a tough list, but I have to go with Miami vs Penn State. Besides matching the top two teams, both unbeaten, in a season ending game, the hype leading up to the game was fun. Who can forget Miami's Jerome Brown's quote at dinner a few days before the game:

I think the one thing that knocks that game from consideration is that it was not viewed as a matchup of equals. Miami was a pretty big favorite, not many expected that Penn State could win. That's not really true of the other contenders on the list.
03-13-2021 06:09 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(03-13-2021 03:26 PM)SoCalBobcat78 Wrote:  A game that could have made the list was Notre Dame (#1) vs USC (#2) at the end of the 1988 season at the Coliseum in LA. Both were 10-0, but the game was not that close, with Notre Dame winning 27-10. I was at the game among the 93,000 plus fans and it was a great atmosphere, one you don't get too often at a college football game in Southern California.

Rodney Peete!

07-coffee3
03-13-2021 06:10 PM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-13-2021 03:26 PM)SoCalBobcat78 Wrote:  A game that could have made the list was Notre Dame (#1) vs USC (#2) at the end of the 1988 season at the Coliseum in LA. Both were 10-0, but the game was not that close, with Notre Dame winning 27-10. I was at the game among the 93,000 plus fans and it was a great atmosphere, one you don't get too often at a college football game in Southern California.

I think one of the criteria was that the game be hyped as the Game of the Century before it was played. One of my favorite #1 vs #2 matchups was USC vs Wisconsin in the 1962 Rose Bowl (though I don't recall Wisconsin being unbeaten). USC was a heavy favorite, so not much hype, but the game itself was one of the most exciting I've ever watched.
03-13-2021 06:17 PM
Advertisement

ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-13-2021 05:25 PM)Arch Stanton Wrote:  I chose MichState vs ND

Mich St vs ND
Ok vs Neb
Tex vs Ark

I wasn't alive for any of the above so my vote and ranking is from what I read and watched along with some ND bias.

My criteria for game of the century status is that the game be played in the regular season which ruled out Miami vs Penn St

The Michigan State - Notre Dame game was the first GOTC I watched. While there was a lot of hype, the game itself wasn't all that exciting for me. And IMO it will always be tainted as the "Tie One For the Gipper" game.
03-13-2021 06:21 PM
SoCalBobcat78 Offline
All American

I Root For: TXST, UCLA, CBU
(03-13-2021 06:09 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(03-13-2021 03:26 PM)SoCalBobcat78 Wrote:  This is a tough list, but I have to go with Miami vs Penn State. Besides matching the top two teams, both unbeaten, in a season ending game, the hype leading up to the game was fun. Who can forget Miami's Jerome Brown's quote at dinner a few days before the game:

I think the one thing that knocks that game from consideration is that it was not viewed as a matchup of equals. Miami was a pretty big favorite, not many expected that Penn State could win. That's not really true of the other contenders on the list.

You might be right about that. It is a tough list. A lot of great "Games of the Century" when I was a young kid. I was 11 years old living in Northern California (Bay Area) when Michigan State played Notre Dame. It was a great game with a bad finish. The UCLA vs USC game in 1967 was another great game, but as a 12 year old living in Northern California, I hated every team in Southern California. I would have preferred that they both lost.

As a 14 year old kid living in Texas, the Texas vs Arkansas game was huge and it was a great game. Everybody in our town was talking about that game, before and after. It felt like the whole state was watching the game. As a 16 year old living in Italy, I did not see the Nebraska vs OU game on TV, but I did listen to it on the Armed Forces Network. Not quite the same as watching it live on TV, but it sounded like a great game.

If I had to choose between those four games from 1966 to 1971, I would go with Texas vs Arkansas. The Miami-Penn State game was amazing because Penn State had to play as well as they possibly could and have everything go right to win the game. It was like catching lighting in a bottle.
03-13-2021 07:33 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(03-13-2021 01:51 PM)SlyFox Wrote:  Nixon dropping in via Marine 1 to hand the trophy to the Longhorns gives that Texas-Arkansas game a little extra mystique particularly back when national TV games were such a premium.

Yeah. And the game has a name-"The Big Shootout."
One thing I didn't learn until years afterwards--while Texas won in 1969 15-14 when they made a 2 point conversion (at 14-6), just 5 years earlier the national title was decided when Texas missed a 2 point conversion and lost 14-13 to Arkansas. Arkansas would later finish unbeaten and win a few of the post-season titles awarded. Alabama won the AP and Coaches poll but lost to Texas in the Orange Bowl.

71 Nebraska-OU is a very close 2nd.
03-13-2021 07:47 PM
Crayton Offline
All American

I Root For: Florida

Mich St vs ND
Ok vs Neb
Tex vs Ark

What helps include the Miami-Penn State game, for me, is that neither team got there automatically (like in a CCG, playoff game, or contract bowl). The bidding war with the Citrus also built hype.
03-14-2021 01:36 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(03-13-2021 07:33 PM)SoCalBobcat78 Wrote:  The Miami-Penn State game was amazing because Penn State had to play as well as they possibly could and have everything go right to win the game. It was like catching lighting in a bottle.

That game was a demonstration of what an amazing coach peak Paterno was. Because Miami was clearly the better team and had an all-time great coach themselves and yet JP figured out a way to win it.

And his blueprint for beating a more-talented, high-flying offense has been followed by others ever since, e.g., the Patriots upset of the Rams in the 2001 Super Bowl, and the Giants upset of the Patriots in the 2007 Super Bowl, among many others.
(This post was last modified: 03-14-2021 07:14 AM by quo vadis.)
03-14-2021 07:13 AM
Advertisement

Arch Stanton Offline
Bench Warmer

(03-14-2021 01:36 AM)Crayton Wrote:  

Mich St vs ND
Ok vs Neb
Tex vs Ark

What helps include the Miami-Penn State game, for me, is that neither team got there automatically (like in a CCG, playoff game, or contract bowl). The bidding war with the Citrus also built hype.

I didn't recall the bidding war between the Citrus and Fiesta. The Fiesta was smart to outbid the Citrus, I think the Miami vs Penn State put the Fiesta on the same level as the Orange, Cotton and Sugar after that game and with the demise of the SWC took the Cottons place.
03-14-2021 10:49 AM
Arch Stanton Offline
Bench Warmer

(03-13-2021 06:09 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  

This is a good point the game was billed more as good vs evil and not two great football teams.
03-14-2021 10:50 AM
Arch Stanton Offline
Bench Warmer

(03-14-2021 07:13 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(03-13-2021 07:33 PM)SoCalBobcat78 Wrote:  The Miami-Penn State game was amazing because Penn State had to play as well as they possibly could and have everything go right to win the game. It was like catching lighting in a bottle.

That game was a demonstration of what an amazing coach peak Paterno was. Because Miami was clearly the better team and had an all-time great coach themselves and yet JP figured out a way to win it.

And his blueprint for beating a more-talented, high-flying offense has been followed by others ever since, e.g., the Patriots upset of the Rams in the 2001 Super Bowl, and the Giants upset of the Patriots in the 2007 Super Bowl, among many others.

I think the 1991 Super Bowl Giants vs Bills had the most similar game plan keep everything in front of you and punish the receivers for making a catch
03-14-2021 10:52 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(03-14-2021 10:52 AM)Arch Stanton Wrote:  
(03-14-2021 07:13 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  

I think the 1991 Super Bowl Giants vs Bills had the most similar game plan keep everything in front of you and punish the receivers for making a catch

Yep, that one too. Paterno set the blueprint.
(This post was last modified: 03-14-2021 01:31 PM by quo vadis.)
03-14-2021 01:30 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.