Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Bubble Watch 3/10/21
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
Bubble Watch 3/10/21
So going to start to do this here....

The ranks are from Bracketville- the #1 bracketologist...
Autos:
42 Loyola-Chi

37 Georgia Tech Thu vs Miami in ACC Tournament
38 Michigan St Thu vs Maryland in Big Ten Tournament
39 Louisville lost vs Duke in ACC Tournament
40 UCLA Thu vs Oregon St in Pac 12 Tournament
41 VCU Sun vs St Bonaventure A10 Tournament
43 Wichita St(auto) Fri vs Cincy/SMU in AAC tournament
44 Maryland Thu vs Mich St in Big Ten Tournament
--------------------------- last 4
45 Xavier lost vs Butler in Big East Tournament
46 Drake Season completed
47 Boise St Thu vs Nevada in MWC Tournament
48 Colorado St Thu vs Fresno in MWC Tournament
---------------------------
69 Ole Miss Thu vs South Carolina in SEC Tournament
70 Syracuse Won vs NC State Thu vs Virginia ACC Tournament
71 Saint Louis season completed
72 Utah St Thu @ UNLV MWC Tournament
73 St John's Thu vs Seton Hall Big East Tournament
74 NC State lost vs Syracuse ACC Tournament
75 Memphis Fri vs UCF/ECU in AAC Tournament
76 Stanford lost vs Cal in Pac 12 Tournament
77 SMU Fri vs Cincy in AAC Tournament
78 Seton Hall Thu vs St John's Big East Tournament
79 Duke won vs Louisville Thu vs Florida St ACC Tournament
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2021 11:58 PM by stever20.)
03-08-2021 11:16 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
RE: Bubble Watch 3/8/21
This is a good representation that makes it easy to follow.
03-08-2021 12:15 PM
GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
If Turgeon loses to MSU, and Maryland misses the tournament, does Maryland look to make a move?
03-08-2021 12:21 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

(03-08-2021 12:15 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  This is a good representation that makes it easy to follow.

as the games happen you will see Green and Red- along with next matchup.
03-08-2021 12:43 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

(03-08-2021 12:21 PM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  If Turgeon loses to MSU, and Maryland misses the tournament, does Maryland look to make a move?

I'd doubt it but who knows. Haven't heard much here in the DMV area with it.
03-08-2021 12:43 PM
ken d Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
As of today, Lunardi only has six non-P6 teams in as at-large entries and four of those are close to the bubble: Houston (2), BYU (7), VCU (11), Colorado State (12), Boise State (12), Drake (12).

He doesn't seem to think much of the mid-majors this year (or maybe he just thinks the committee won't).
03-08-2021 12:52 PM
Advertisement

IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
(03-08-2021 12:52 PM)ken d Wrote:  As of today, Lunardi only has six non-P6 teams in as at-large entries and four of those are close to the bubble: Houston (2), BYU (7), VCU (11), Colorado State (12), Boise State (12), Drake (12).

He doesn't seem to think much of the mid-majors this year (or maybe he just thinks the committee won't).

6 seems to be the consensus across the board. There's no path to increase that number. A bid steal would just knock out one of those 3 teams under the Last 4 In.
03-08-2021 12:58 PM
ken d Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(03-08-2021 12:58 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  
(03-08-2021 12:52 PM)ken d Wrote:  As of today, Lunardi only has six non-P6 teams in as at-large entries and four of those are close to the bubble: Houston (2), BYU (7), VCU (11), Colorado State (12), Boise State (12), Drake (12).

6 seems to be the consensus across the board. There's no path to increase that number. A bid steal would just knock out one of those 3 teams under the Last 4 In.

That's a shame. A bunch of those P6 at large teams aren't much to write home about. There could be a lot of "upsets" this year that would only be the mildest of surprises.
03-08-2021 01:04 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(03-08-2021 01:04 PM)ken d Wrote:  

That's a shame. A bunch of those P6 at large teams aren't much to write home about. There could be a lot of "upsets" this year that would only be the mildest of surprises.

It's preselling to cover network desires to have, allegedly, the most potential viewers by once again emphasizing on the larger schools' alumni bases. This is where profit trumps deserve will be at its most glaring. Clearly mid majors have had a better year and the P5 and Big East have not. Yes people hype the Big 12 and Big 10 but mostly because they had some parity. I didn't see a complete basketball unit among them. Just keep in mind that an average SEC conference did manage to win the Big 12 / SEC challenge and a down ACC did pretty well in the Big 10 / ACC challenge.

I'm not saying the Big 10 wasn't the deepest league, they were. And I'm not saying that the Big 12 lacks talent, they do not. I'm merely pointing out that they aren't inclusive of dominating teams like those who win the final four. They have some elite 8 possibilities, but no clear cut final four schools.

So these bubble charts released by the so called experts is just the preselling of the Networks protecting the P5 programs so they can try to reach larger fan bases in a year when advertising has seen drops in live sports viewership across the board.
03-08-2021 01:54 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

(03-08-2021 01:54 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

It's preselling to cover network desires to have, allegedly, the most potential viewers by once again emphasizing on the larger schools' alumni bases. This is where profit trumps deserve will be at its most glaring. Clearly mid majors have had a better year and the P5 and Big East have not. Yes people hype the Big 12 and Big 10 but mostly because they had some parity. I didn't see a complete basketball unit among them. Just keep in mind that an average SEC conference did manage to win the Big 12 / SEC challenge and a down ACC did pretty well in the Big 10 / ACC challenge.

I'm not saying the Big 10 wasn't the deepest league, they were. And I'm not saying that the Big 12 lacks talent, they do not. I'm merely pointing out that they aren't inclusive of dominating teams like those who win the final four. They have some elite 8 possibilities, but no clear cut final four schools.

So these bubble charts released by the so called experts is just the preselling of the Networks protecting the P5 programs so they can try to reach larger fan bases in a year when advertising has seen drops in live sports viewership across the board.

I don't know that I'd say the mid-majors have had a great year at all. MWC and A10 were up BUT they kind of ate their own as the season wore on- lots of upsets. AAC had kind of a tweener year. WCC has 2. It's pretty close to normal for them.
03-08-2021 01:59 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
With scrambled schedules and covid interruptions, there are likely to be more good teams that finished lower in the regular season but have a good chance of being "bid thieves" by winning their conference tournament.

If there are four bid thieves out there, then any team that is "last four in" today on the committee's whiteboard will be out if they don't win at least one game this week, and a team that is on the committee's 10 or 11 line today runs the risk of dropping into the First Four if they go 0-1 in their conference tournament.
03-08-2021 02:12 PM
Advertisement

The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
Putting it this way, I like Drake’s at-large chances less and less when those above and below have room to climb.
03-08-2021 05:55 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
(03-08-2021 05:55 PM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  Putting it this way, I like Drake’s at-large chances less and less when those above and below have room to climb.

If the committee has teams ranked similarly to what's above, then the teams listed among Drake as "last four in" would probably stay in with one win. If all three of them win one, then Drake would be the first victim of a "bid thief", a team that is otherwise out but gets in by winning the tournament in a multi-bid conference.

The teams listed above as 69-79, if that's how the committee sees them, are likely a concern for Drake only if they win at least two conference tournament games, as none of them are playing their first game against a team that will be in the NCAAs.
03-08-2021 06:18 PM
Statefan Offline
Banned

I Root For: .
Syracuse has to beat NC State and UVa to get in. They can loose in the semis to Clemson or GT because who they lose to will appear in the title game against FSU or UNC..
NC State has to beat Syracuse and UVa and Clemson/GT and make it to the final game where it can lose to FSU or Carolina and likely get in.
03-08-2021 06:25 PM
schmolik Offline
CSNBB's Big 10 Cheerleader

I Root For: UIUC, PSU, Nova
03-08-2021 06:33 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

Bubble teams rooting big for Gonzaga and BYU tonight in Las Vegas.
03-08-2021 09:11 PM
Advertisement

Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(03-08-2021 01:59 PM)stever20 Wrote:  

I don't know that I'd say the mid-majors have had a great year at all. MWC and A10 were up BUT they kind of ate their own as the season wore on- lots of upsets. AAC had kind of a tweener year. WCC has 2. It's pretty close to normal for them.

Yeah - this is a really down year for nearly all of the leagues outside of the P5 (even the Big East). With all due respect to JRsec, Baylor in the Big 12 is without question a national title contender. (Gonzaga and Baylor might be the clearest top 2 teams heading into the tournament in years.) The Big Ten is likely going to have two 1-seeds and possibly two 2-seeds. So, the league is deep, but it’s hardly parity. There’s a clearly defined top 4 (Michigan, Illinois, Iowa, Ohio State) that all have legit shots at the Final Four and then it has a whole slate of “very good” teams beyond them.

Granted, it’s a bit circular since the mid-majors didn’t get nearly as many chances to play the P5 in the non-conference schedule as in a normal season, so very few have quality statement non-conference wins that would impress the committee. That’s naturally going to depress their at-large chances overall.
03-08-2021 10:40 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Stugray2 Online
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
The normal number of at large for the non-major conferences is 6. I place them at 6 or 7 which is normal.

The 6 major conferences average 30 at-large. This is pretty much a normal year a far as bid distribution.

What is noticeable is the American is really down after Houston. If Houston wins the tournament, they might be a one bid conference. The really need Wichita State or Memphis to look really good in the conference tournament or preferably win it.

The Mountain West is having a pretty good year with a bunch of teams in that 10-12 range, and they may have 3 schools get in.
(This post was last modified: 03-08-2021 11:12 PM by Stugray2.)
03-08-2021 11:10 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

(03-08-2021 11:10 PM)Stugray2 Wrote:  The normal number of at large for the non-major conferences is 6. I place them at 6 or 7 which is normal.

The 6 major conferences average 30 at-large. This is pretty much a normal year a far as bid distribution.

What is noticeable is the American is really down after Houston. If Houston wins the tournament, they might be a one bid conference. The really need Wichita State or Memphis to look really good in the conference tournament or preferably win it.

The Mountain West is having a pretty good year with a bunch of teams in that 10-12 range, and they may have 3 schools get in.

I think Wichita is in pretty good shape. Actually have a fair shot to get 3 in the tourney if Memphis upsets Houston and then beats Wichita in the final.
03-08-2021 11:17 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(03-08-2021 10:40 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  
(03-08-2021 01:59 PM)stever20 Wrote:  
(03-08-2021 12:58 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  6 seems to be the consensus across the board. There's no path to increase that number. A bid steal would just knock out one of those 3 teams under the Last 4 In.

Yeah - this is a really down year for nearly all of the leagues outside of the P5 (even the Big East). With all due respect to JRsec, Baylor in the Big 12 is without question a national title contender. (Gonzaga and Baylor might be the clearest top 2 teams heading into the tournament in years.) The Big Ten is likely going to have two 1-seeds and possibly two 2-seeds. So, the league is deep, but it’s hardly parity. There’s a clearly defined top 4 (Michigan, Illinois, Iowa, Ohio State) that all have legit shots at the Final Four and then it has a whole slate of “very good” teams beyond them.

Granted, it’s a bit circular since the mid-majors didn’t get nearly as many chances to play the P5 in the non-conference schedule as in a normal season, so very few have quality statement non-conference wins that would impress the committee. That’s naturally going to depress their at-large chances overall.

I totally agree Gonzaga could win it all. They are pretty complete.

I had forgotten about Baylor, though I lost some respect for them when an extremely young Auburn team played them within 11 and Baylor had some glaring weaknesses defensively with guards that can penetrate. They are hell in transition though.

The proof is in the pudding Frank. Let's see if the Big 10 finally wins a title. Let's see if the P5 are strong or just show up that way on computers because of playing pretty much among themselves and staying ranked.

If we've learned anything these past few years it is that teams that shoot 3's well in transition can upset anyone.

I think we'll see more upsets this year than we've seen in some time.

We'll see. Admittedly I might be wrong, but there is no baseline for solid comparisons. But that alone will make it interesting.
03-08-2021 11:35 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.