Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Now we have a COACH!
Bookmark and Share
knightmight Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

If things work out, O'Leary will be at UCF for quite some time.

December 8, 2003

O'Leary Named New Football Coach At UCF

George O'Leary owns a career
record of 52-33.

ORLANDO - George O
12-08-2003 04:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

knightmight Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

What they are saying about George O'Leary

"George O'Leary is one of the most outstanding college coaches out there. He is a proven winner, extremely organized and a great motivator. UCF made a great choice when it decided to hire Coach O'Leary."

-Maryland Head Coach Ralph Friedgen
12-08-2003 11:42 PM
KnightTrain Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

knightmight Wrote:If things work out, O'Leary will be at UCF for quite some time.
Don't bet on it. A 5-year contract is not a long time, and I'm sure there are hidden outs. If he proves successful and finally shakes the fraud image, bigger programs will come calling. He's got three years to prove himself in my opinion before (a) he gets canned by Orsini's replacement 03-wink or (b) he takes a job at a bigger program.
12-10-2003 05:43 PM
knightmight Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

I think that totally depends on how much success O'Leary has and well as the program in general. Winning is not enough. They have to generate fan interest and increase attendance dramatically. If these goals can be accomplished O'Leary would be crazy to leave. There is nothing more satisfying than turning a program around and taking it big time.

Only time will tell!
12-12-2003 08:36 AM
Advertisement

KnightTrain Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Quote:They have to generate fan interest and increase attendance dramatically.

This is done via a combination of winning and quality home schedule. C-USA schools should draw better in Orlando than MAC schools have done, but don't expect attendance to increase 'dramatically' any time soon. Until UCF starts playing more big dogs from major conferences at home (which they can't afford), attendance will lag no matter how successful O'Leary is.

Quote:If these goals can be accomplished O'Leary would be crazy to leave.

Just the opposite. He would be crazy to stay. Assume he builds a program that wins 9-games a year for 3 straight years, captures a C-USA title along the way, and gets UCF to its first bowl game. He'll then draw the attention of the bigger schools, and believe it or not, more money will come his way. Don't be too naive to think he'll be loyal to the program like we've seen from Kruzek and Gooch. Especially when a bigger school, with more money, and more national recognition comes knocking on his door. Again, big assumptions considering the challenge ahead of him at UCF.

Quote:There is nothing more satisfying than turning a program around and taking it big time.

UCF big time? Not any time soon. Too many factors against that right now (lousy talent, lousy fan support, lousy schedule, lousy conference) and in the future (sorry, but C-USA is a mid-major like MAC). For O'Leary, there's nothing more satisfying than getting a big fat paycheck to get out of cold Minnesota and live comfortable in sunny, warm, and beautiful Orlando...

Am I a doubting Thomas? Maybe. I've just been burnt before by so many broken promises at UCF that I won't buy into anything anymore. Feel free to dream on fellow UCF fans, but for me, I'm going to take one game at a time with zero expectations.
12-13-2003 10:01 AM
Good Knight Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

KnightTrain zero expectations is the right attitude if you want to stay as a mid major. There is a new boss in town and no I'm not talking about George O'Leary. Steve Orsini is in charge now and if you've noticed he doesn't put up with underacheiving. He was forced to give Kruczek a chance and he did, but when things were not looking good he made the necessary move to ensure success. As UCF fans we have been burned in the past I agree, but it is a different time and a different university. O'leary has been quoted as saying he would like to finish his coaching career at UCF. He recognizes the enormous potential. We are young and we're are entering a new era, I find it hard to believe that you have zero expectations if that was the case you wouldn't be talking about UCF football 8.5 months before the next game. Enjoy it UCF is on the rise!
12-19-2003 01:29 PM
KnightTrain Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Quote:...Orsini...he made the necessary move to ensure success...

Hiring O'Leary hasn't ensured anything. What happens if O'Leary has a losing record for 5 straight years? Is that ensuring success? Correct me if I'm wrong, but UCF just finished one of it's worse seasons ever with Orsini in charge. Other than his ability to fire a coach, he hasn't proved anything yet either. However, I admit he's come in with good intentions of building the program up. But I've been through this dog and pony show before, so I'm just going to keep my expectations in check.

Quote:...We are young and we're are entering a new era...

The same delusions I had 20 years ago. Granted, the program has moved from divsion II, to I-AA, to I-A during that period, but that was easy. Moving from a smaller or mid-major I-A progam to the elite like everyone is dreaming about is going to take decades. Can you honestly see UCF eclipsing FSU, Miami, or Florida as a power in the state of Florida under O'Leary's tenure?
12-20-2003 11:17 AM
BlackNGold Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF

KnightTrain Wrote:Can you honestly see UCF eclipsing FSU, Miami, or Florida as a power in the state of Florida under O'Leary's tenure?
Stranger things have happened :rolleyes:
12-20-2003 11:59 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.