Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

If everyone is paid for 2020 FB games played...
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
Exclamation If everyone is paid for 2020 FB games played...
Here's how conference TV revenue will look NEXT year:

SEC (CBS/ESPN/SECN down 34 games from 2019) will get $97.5 million less.
B1G (ABC/ESPN down 12 games; didn't include Fox) will get $82.2 M less.
ACC (ABC/ESPN/ACCN down 10 games, RSN down 1) will get $35 M less.

Obviously, the more you normally get, the more you stand to lose if you don't perform. Keep in mind, too, that while the ACC had 10 fewer games than 2019, it also had MORE games vs. Notre Dame - so you can make an argument that the 2020 package of games was worth just as much if not more than normal.

On a per team basis it works out to:

SEC: -$6.97 million per team
B1G: -$5.87 million per team
ACC: -$2.5 million per team

We'll see what actually happens, of course, but I will say this: If the networks "forgive" the SEC and B1G for not fulfilling their contracts, then new ACC commissioner Phillips better be on the phone to Disney to negotiate some "extra" money for the ACC - pronto!!!

From "2020 Lost FB TV games, revenue" on ACCFootballRx.
02-18-2021 07:26 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
RE: If everyone is paid for 2020 FB games played...
(02-18-2021 07:26 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  We'll see what actually happens, of course, but I will say this: If the networks "forgive" the SEC and B1G for not fulfilling their contracts, then new ACC commissioner Phillips better be on the phone to Disney to negotiate some "extra" money for the ACC - pronto!!!

You need leverage when negotiating.
02-18-2021 10:05 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-18-2021 10:05 AM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  
(02-18-2021 07:26 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  We'll see what actually happens, of course, but I will say this: If the networks "forgive" the SEC and B1G for not fulfilling their contracts, then new ACC commissioner Phillips better be on the phone to Disney to negotiate some "extra" money for the ACC - pronto!!!

You need leverage when negotiating.

[Image: Strongest-Weakest.png]
02-18-2021 10:07 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(02-18-2021 07:26 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  Here's how conference TV revenue will look NEXT year:

Obviously, the more you normally get, the more you stand to lose if you don't perform. Keep in mind, too, that while the ACC had 10 fewer games than 2019, it also had MORE games vs. Notre Dame - so you can make an argument that the 2020 package of games was worth just as much if not more than normal.

We'll see what actually happens, of course, but I will say this: If the networks "forgive" the SEC and B1G for not fulfilling their contracts, then new ACC commissioner Phillips better be on the phone to Disney to negotiate some "extra" money for the ACC - pronto!!!

That is a reasonable assumption, but there is a fallacy in the logic. The SEC decided to exchange quality for quantity. 14 schools were to have played 10 game each within the conference. For all tiers that was 70 games. That trade was essentially made because it was deemed to be of equal value. The SEC for all providers, including CBS therefore provided the requisite number of games with the exclusion of the two weeks of the least profitable match ups, the tune up games at the beginning of the season.

I might point out the ACC did the same and played one OOC.

For the agreed upon number of games in the midst of COVID the SEC and ACC provided the bulk of their agreed upon contests giving the public more total games than the Big 10 and PAC while the B12 was in the ballpark with the SEC and ACC.

So in a year when the public was desperate for something to watch, the networks were down on total sports inventory, it might also be argued that the ACC / SEC / Big 12 had product that was more valuable than in most years. College Football on the tube was the equivalent in excitement of going to the store masked and finding rubbing alcohol, Lysol, and Charmin all on the same trip, in other words a banner day!

I think the contracts will be largely honored for the conferences that tried to provide consistent product. Where we all lose, and lose in a big way, is gate and concessions, and yes, in donations too!
02-18-2021 10:09 AM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-18-2021 10:09 AM)JRsec Wrote:  College Football on the tube [in 2020] was the equivalent in excitement of going to the store masked and finding rubbing alcohol, Lysol, and Charmin all on the same trip, in other words a banner day!

I wouldn't know since that has never happened for me...
03-banghead
02-18-2021 11:13 AM
Advertisement

Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-18-2021 10:09 AM)JRsec Wrote:  
(02-18-2021 07:26 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  Here's how conference TV revenue will look NEXT year:

That is a reasonable assumption, but there is a fallacy in the logic. The SEC decided to exchange quality for quantity. 14 schools were to have played 10 game each within the conference. For all tiers that was 70 games. That trade was essentially made because it was deemed to be of equal value. The SEC for all providers, including CBS therefore provided the requisite number of games with the exclusion of the two weeks of the least profitable match ups, the tune up games at the beginning of the season.

For the agreed upon number of games in the midst of COVID the SEC and ACC provided the bulk of their agreed upon contests giving the public more total games than the Big 10 and PAC while the B12 was in the ballpark with the SEC and ACC.

So in a year when the public was desperate for something to watch, the networks were down on total sports inventory, it might also be argued that the ACC / SEC / Big 12 had product that was more valuable than in most years. College Football on the tube was the equivalent in excitement of going to the store masked and finding rubbing alcohol, Lysol, and Charmin all on the same trip, in other words a banner day!

I think the contracts will be largely honored for the conferences that tried to provide consistent product. Where we all lose, and lose in a big way, is gate and concessions, and yes, in donations too!

I like the way you worded that in bold.

So maybe I should've said if Disney pays the Big Ten a full share, the ACC (and maybe the SEC and Big XII as well) should be calling them up with open hands...
02-18-2021 11:15 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(02-18-2021 11:15 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  
(02-18-2021 10:09 AM)JRsec Wrote:  

I like the way you worded that in bold.

So maybe I should've said if Disney pays the Big Ten a full share, the ACC (and maybe the SEC and Big XII as well) should be calling them up with open hands...

Yes sir! But remember Disney was only 48% of the Big 10's contract value. The bigger question is what will FOX do? The SEC essentially fulfilled CBS which if they dock us it will be for 2 games and their jab at us for telling them to piss off!

No matter what Disney agreed to pay us no more Gary Danielson was a bonus! Now if Disney will can Beth Mowins07-coffee3 we are in business.
02-18-2021 11:25 AM
Wahoowa84 Offline
All American

I Root For: UVa
Interesting take. There is so much noise due to COVID, that it’s hard to determine the media value from the 2020 season. Good to see that the ACC led the way in % of televised games.

The quality of games could also provide supporting fodder for the ACC. Starting earlier than other conferences gave Disney exclusive content. Having two teams make the CFP helps strengthen the reputation (obviously helped ACC championship game get the best ratings).
02-18-2021 12:15 PM
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
(02-18-2021 12:15 PM)Wahoowa84 Wrote:  Interesting take. There is so much noise due to COVID, that it’s hard to determine the media value from the 2020 season. Good to see that the ACC led the way in % of televised games.

The quality of games could also provide supporting fodder for the ACC. Starting earlier than other conferences gave Disney exclusive content. Having two teams make the CFP helps strengthen the reputation (obviously helped ACC championship game get the best ratings).

Having ND for 10 games, 5 shared on NBC and 5 on ESPN/ABC should help the quality of content too.
02-19-2021 04:17 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.