Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ECU Announces Selection Of New Chancellor
CrownRoyal Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: East Carolina
Just thought our fellow Conference mates might like to have some info on the new Chancellor selection for ECU. This might just be a home run hire.

TO:

DATE:

SUBJ: ECU Community

Vern Davenport, chair, ECU Board of Trustees

December 17, 2020

Philip Rogers will be ECU’s 12th chancellor

It is hard to believe that it has been just over a year since we began the process of finding the next chancellor of East Carolina University, and it has been a privilege to serve as chair of the Chancellor Search Committee. This was a vitally important decision, and I want to thank the members of the search committee, who represent every possible constituency group of the university, for their tireless work in this effort.

Today, I am thrilled to announce that the committee’s work, now with the approval of UNC System President Peter Hans and the UNC Board of Governors, has resulted in the election of Dr. Philip Rogers as ECU’s 12th chancellor.

The committee sought feedback from a broad range of university stakeholders to identify the qualities needed in ECU’s next leader, including an understanding of the culture of ECU and eastern North Carolina, as well as dedication to our mission of student success, public service and regional transformation. We were committed to finding the perfect person for ECU at this moment in our history. Someone dedicated to the principles of access to and affordability of higher education, who could elevate ECU’s reputation and brand, and who could lead efforts for financial sustainability, economic development, health care education, enrollment growth, university governance, and more.

Out of a broad and diverse pool of more than 60 qualified applicants, Philip stood out as that perfect person to lead ECU. He is a Greenville native and a graduate of J.H. Rose High School. He currently serves as the Senior Vice President for Learning and Engagement at the American Council on Education, where he has developed experience in helping institutions navigate the complex challenges of higher education and formed a robust national and global network among the leaders of those institutions.

Philip is also a Pirate; he served as chief of staff and as a member of the senior leadership team here at ECU from 2008-2013, so he knows and has an affinity for our university, our community, our region, and Pirate Nation. He earned his doctoral degree in higher education management with distinction from the University of Pennsylvania, where his research focused on helping public universities navigate periods of financial distress. He also holds a master’s degree in public administration from UNC Chapel Hill and a bachelor’s degree in communication from Wake Forest University.

In the coming months, he will work closely with Interim Chancellor Ron Mitchelson, as well as Dr. Chris Locklear, interim chief of staff, and Trustee Scott Shook, co-chairs of the chancellor transition committee, to prepare for March when he begins his tenure as chancellor.

Dr. Philip Rogers is uniquely qualified to lead our institution into the future, and I would like you to join me in welcoming him, along with his wife, Dr. Rebekah P. Rogers, a two-time ECU alumna, and their boys, Grayson and Dean, back to Greenville and ECU.

For more information about Dr. Rogers and his vision for ECU, visit https://go.ecu.edu/Rogers.

Posted: 12/17/2020 at 2:01PM
12-17-2020 02:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Pony94 Online

I Root For: SMU
RE: ECU Announces Selection Of New Chancellor
Change his first name to Jolly.
12-17-2020 03:46 PM
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
Good for ECU Athletics?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
(This post was last modified: 12-17-2020 03:57 PM by panama.)
12-17-2020 03:57 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mikeinoki Offline
Gone to Seed

I Root For: JDB
(12-17-2020 03:46 PM)Pony94 Wrote:  Change his first name to Jolly.

Dang, I wish I had thought of that.
12-17-2020 04:51 PM
CrownRoyal Offline
Special Teams

(12-17-2020 03:57 PM)panama Wrote:  Good for ECU Athletics?

I think long term yes. He's a Greenville native and has worked at ECU before. Just knowing the local and regional culture puts him a step ahead. He's got some huge challenges ahead of him to deal with (mainly finances due to legislative cutbacks) but my gut reaction tells me he's got the skills to deal with it.
12-17-2020 05:24 PM
panama Offline
Legend

(12-17-2020 05:24 PM)CrownRoyal Wrote:  
(12-17-2020 03:57 PM)panama Wrote:  Good for ECU Athletics?

I think long term yes. He's a Greenville native and has worked at ECU before. Just knowing the local and regional culture puts him a step ahead. He's got some huge challenges ahead of him to deal with (mainly finances due to legislative cutbacks) but my gut reaction tells me he's got the skills to deal with it.
Sent this to a buddy of mine because we are undergoing our own search and holding our breath as to what the selection will mean to athletics.

12-17-2020 05:32 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CrownRoyal Offline
Special Teams

A little more info and thoughts from the Chancellor elect himself.

https://news.ecu.edu/2020/12/17/returning-home/
12-17-2020 05:39 PM
Chappy Online
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
37 years old... is that a typo? He looks older than me and I'm 46.
12-17-2020 06:53 PM
CrownRoyal Offline
Special Teams

(12-17-2020 06:53 PM)Chappy Wrote:  37 years old... is that a typo? He looks older than me and I'm 46.

No typo. Young, but I feel wise beyond his years. Ya never know, maybe our next Leo.
12-17-2020 07:24 PM
Chappy Online
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
(12-17-2020 07:24 PM)CrownRoyal Wrote:  
(12-17-2020 06:53 PM)Chappy Wrote:  37 years old... is that a typo? He looks older than me and I'm 46.

No typo. Young, but I feel wise beyond his years. Ya never know, maybe our next Leo.

Impressive!
12-17-2020 07:30 PM
vabearcat Offline
All American

I Root For:
And this gets placed on an AAC athletics discussion board because.....?
12-17-2020 07:49 PM
Advertisement

panama Offline
Legend

(12-17-2020 07:49 PM)vabearcat Wrote:  And this gets placed on an AAC athletics discussion board because.....?
Because it directly impacts their future athletics?

12-17-2020 07:58 PM
Foreverandever Offline
Heisman

I Root For: &
(12-17-2020 07:49 PM)vabearcat Wrote:  And this gets placed on an AAC athletics discussion board because.....?

Because who is in charge of the school makes a big difference in how the athletics are run, prioritized and developed. See Harvard and Vanderbilt on one side and OSU and Florida on the other.

This is also the last change in a complete reworking of the school from coaching, to AD, to the top.

Congrats to ECU who has shown some nice returns on changes that started two plus years ago. Hopefully Tulsa will be following suit with new AD and president.
12-17-2020 07:59 PM
vabearcat Offline
All American

I Root For:
(12-17-2020 07:58 PM)panama Wrote:  

Well, maybe so. But there’s not a word in the press announcement about athletics or anything about the new Chancellors views on athletics. ECU Football and basketball coaches are relatively new there. It’s not like the new guy is gonna fire them and bring in Urban Meyer and Tom Izzo. So the question remains. Why is this announcement noteworthy?
12-17-2020 08:07 PM
panama Offline
Legend

(12-17-2020 08:07 PM)vabearcat Wrote:  

Well, maybe so. But there’s not a word in the press announcement about athletics or anything about the new Chancellors views on athletics. ECU Football and basketball coaches are relatively new there. It’s not like the new guy is gonna fire them and bring in Urban Meyer and Tom Izzo. So the question remains. Why is this announcement noteworthy?
Ummmm...most Presidents have their own vision. An appointment can go either way. It doesnr have to be as dramatic as hiring Urban Meyer. It's usually a lot more subtle and then 10 or 15 years later you're either Idaho dropping to FCS or you're UCF going 14-0.

12-17-2020 08:17 PM
vabearcat Offline
All American

I Root For:
(12-17-2020 08:17 PM)panama Wrote:  

Ummmm...most Presidents have their own vision. An appointment can go either way. It doesnr have to be as dramatic as hiring Urban Meyer. It's usually a lot more subtle and then 10 or 15 years later you're either Idaho dropping to FCS or you're UCF going 14-0.

So which are you predicting for ECU, 14-0 or 0-10? Because we’ve been pretty much waiting since ECU was admitted to this league for any signs of life in what was described in your press announcement as the eastern North Carolina “culture”, whatever that may be.
12-17-2020 08:30 PM
Advertisement

CrownRoyal Offline
Special Teams

(12-17-2020 07:59 PM)Foreverandever Wrote:  

Because who is in charge of the school makes a big difference in how the athletics are run, prioritized and developed. See Harvard and Vanderbilt on one side and OSU and Florida on the other.

This is also the last change in a complete reworking of the school from coaching, to AD, to the top.

Congrats to ECU who has shown some nice returns on changes that started two plus years ago. Hopefully Tulsa will be following suit with new AD and president.

Couldn't have said it better. Panama and Forever get it. Thanks to the both of you! Add in the fact that more than a few posters on this board have been very critical of ECU and its direction in athletics over the last several years. To those of you in that camp, well, we're doing the best we can to make the changes necessary to gain your respect as a conference mate and not be a drag on the conference. It just takes some time to do it.
12-17-2020 08:35 PM
panama Offline
Legend

(12-17-2020 08:30 PM)vabearcat Wrote:  
(12-17-2020 08:17 PM)panama Wrote:  

So which are you predicting for ECU, 14-0 or 0-10? Because we’ve been pretty much waiting since ECU was admitted to this league for any signs of life in what was described in your press announcement as the eastern North Carolina “culture”, whatever that may be.
You DO get that the point is nobody knows what this new chancellor will do but it will 100% affect every aspect of the University including Athletics? You think you're school went through with building major facilities by accident? osmosis? Hope is not a plan.

(This post was last modified: 12-18-2020 12:34 AM by panama.)
12-17-2020 09:28 PM
JHG722 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Temple

We needed a break from the usual Cincy circlejerk.
12-17-2020 10:52 PM
Foreverandever Offline
Heisman

I Root For: &
(12-17-2020 10:52 PM)JHG722 Wrote:  

We needed a break from the usual Cincy circlejerk.

04-cheers
12-18-2020 01:02 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.