WMU Broncos

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Conference ranks through four
RunningGame Offline
All American

I Root For: WMU
Conference ranks through four
Broncos' rankings in conference through four game (and averages per game or totals):

Offense
Scoring: 3rd (45.3)
Yards per play: 2nd (7.8)
Total Yards: 5th (468)
Passing: 3rd (285)
Rushing: 7th (183)
Third Downs: 9th (35.7%)
Sacks: 3rd-tie (5)
Giveaways: 1 (MAC doesn't have these stats...)

Defense
Scoring: 7th (30.5)
Yards per play: 2nd (5.3)
Total yards: 2nd (378)
Passing: 5th (222)
Rushing: 5th (155)
Third downs: 5th (34.4%)
Sacks: 1st (14)
Takeaways: 3

Other
Penalties: 10th (67)
Time of possession: 11th (26:53)
Field goals: 9th (60%)
Punting net: 2nd (43.0)
Kick returns: 4th (24.9)

So, right now we are the Dee Eskridge and Ralph Holley show! I think the major difference in the wins is we are doing a truly exceptional job protecting the ball. I've only seen Eleby make one bad decision in four games, hence the one fluke interception. We are doing a poor job collecting takeaways, and that's where we could see the biggest shift in performance either way.

We really need to get better on third down offensively. Our defense has been playing well through injuries except for the lack of turnovers, hence the scoring being worse than the yardage and great third down numbers; our poor offensive third down performances are why 34% only gets us 5th on the conference rankings.
11-30-2020 12:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

broncofan1 Offline
All American

I Root For: Broncos
RE: Conference ranks through four
(11-30-2020 12:57 PM)RunningGame Wrote:  Broncos' rankings in conference through four game (and averages per game or totals):

Offense
Scoring: 3rd (45.3)
Yards per play: 2nd (7.8)
Total Yards: 5th (468)
Passing: 3rd (285)
Rushing: 7th (183)
Third Downs: 9th (35.7%)
Sacks: 3rd-tie (5)
Giveaways: 1 (MAC doesn't have these stats...)

Defense
Scoring: 7th (30.5)
Yards per play: 2nd (5.3)
Total yards: 2nd (378)
Passing: 5th (222)
Rushing: 5th (155)
Third downs: 5th (34.4%)
Sacks: 1st (14)
Takeaways: 3

Other
Penalties: 10th (67)
Time of possession: 11th (26:53)
Field goals: 9th (60%)
Punting net: 2nd (43.0)
Kick returns: 4th (24.9)

So, right now we are the Dee Eskridge and Ralph Holley show! I think the major difference in the wins is we are doing a truly exceptional job protecting the ball. I've only seen Eleby make one bad decision in four games, hence the one fluke interception. We are doing a poor job collecting takeaways, and that's where we could see the biggest shift in performance either way.

We really need to get better on third down offensively. Our defense has been playing well through injuries except for the lack of turnovers, hence the scoring being worse than the yardage and great third down numbers; our poor offensive third down performances are why 34% only gets us 5th on the conference rankings.

Patrick Lupro is certainly giving everything he has, often left on an island. He is making big plays.

NIU had the right formula for neutralizing a powerful offense. I hope we get healthy enough to do that if/when we play Buffalo. Still, there is work to be done.

We have to do better with TOP.
11-30-2020 01:50 PM
AFLAGWA Offline
1st String

I Root For: Snow Days!
(11-30-2020 01:50 PM)broncofan1 Wrote:  We have to do better with TOP.

I agree so far as we need to improve everywhere on the field, but I think TOP only is a true factor if you design your game plan around clock control. I agree this will be important against UB if we face them later this season.

It is the Princeton v. Loyola Marymount dilemma...control the clock, score 40 pts. a game, and hope to slow down the other team just enough to pull it out OR run and gun, score 130 pts. a game, and see if the other guys can keep up.

I think a perfect example is what we saw on Saturday. We had the ball a total of 40+ seconds for the entire quarter, yet still led when it was over. I think TOP keeps you in games, but it doesn't necessarily win them so much as it puts you in a position to win them.

I would also guess some of the 3rd down conversion issues are because we find ourselves behind the sticks trying to put together the chunk plays so frequently.
11-30-2020 03:03 PM
Advertisement

flushtheherd Offline
Hall of Famer

We are so overdue a game where we take advantage of some turnovers... Had a couple opportunities slip through our hands against NIU... seems like we are due!
11-30-2020 03:05 PM
ITalian83i Offline
2nd String

Not having Hall was huge as well. He is a stud and our only big body WR. Since we don't throw to TEs, we have limited Redbone options.

Hall must of been a COVID guy since I never heard of an injury.
11-30-2020 06:19 PM
Advertisement

flushtheherd Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-30-2020 06:19 PM)ITalian83i Wrote:  Not having Hall was huge as well. He is a stud and our only big body WR. Since we don't throw to TEs, we have limited Redbone options.

Hall must of been a COVID guy since I never heard of an injury.

Or Hall missed a meeting or otherwise broke a team rule... Lester never divulges internal bits like that...
11-30-2020 06:34 PM
AFLAGWA Offline
1st String

(11-30-2020 06:34 PM)flushtheherd Wrote:  Or Hall missed a meeting or otherwise broke a team rule... Lester never divulges internal bits like that...

Yeah...Lester had a pretty interesting response to that question during the presser. The only thing he was certain of was that he would be back for this game.
11-30-2020 07:02 PM
Advertisement

RunningGame Offline
All American

(11-30-2020 07:02 PM)AFLAGWA Wrote:  
(11-30-2020 06:34 PM)flushtheherd Wrote:  Or Hall missed a meeting or otherwise broke a team rule... Lester never divulges internal bits like that...

Yeah...Lester had a pretty interesting response to that question during the presser. The only thing he was certain of was that he would be back for this game.

He said the team has had coronavirus positives, but it's only been isolated individuals. Hall might have had a discipline issue that was addressed, or a COVID positive test (and other players missing might have as well), or something else non-football related. I'm not sure how HIPAA applies in this situation, or if it even does, or what sort of privacy policies college teams might have.

If it was a positive COVID test or perhaps a close contact to someone who had it, it could have happened right after the CMU game, hence why he is sure Hall will be available for EMU, which is 17 days later.
11-30-2020 07:43 PM
MileHighBronco Offline
Legend

(11-30-2020 03:03 PM)AFLAGWA Wrote:  

I agree so far as we need to improve everywhere on the field, but I think TOP only is a true factor if you design your game plan around clock control. I agree this will be important against UB if we face them later this season.

It is the Princeton v. Loyola Marymount dilemma...control the clock, score 40 pts. a game, and hope to slow down the other team just enough to pull it out OR run and gun, score 130 pts. a game, and see if the other guys can keep up.

I think a perfect example is what we saw on Saturday. We had the ball a total of 40+ seconds for the entire quarter, yet still led when it was over. I think TOP keeps you in games, but it doesn't necessarily win them so much as it puts you in a position to win them.

I would also guess some of the 3rd down conversion issues are because we find ourselves behind the sticks trying to put together the chunk plays so frequently.

My issue with TOP in the last game was that our defense is out on the field way too long. It doesn't help that they can't seem to get off the field on third downs. I'd like to see more ball control offense occasionally to let them catch their breath. While it is fun and great to see us score on a bomb to Eskridge on the second play of the series, the defenders are still breathing hard and it's time to go in again. The defense spent almost the entire quarter on the field.
12-01-2020 01:47 AM
Advertisement

broncofan1 Offline
All American

(12-01-2020 01:47 AM)MileHighBronco Wrote:  
(11-30-2020 03:03 PM)AFLAGWA Wrote:  

My issue with TOP in the last game was that our defense is out on the field way too long. It doesn't help that they can't seem to get off the field on third downs. I'd like to see more ball control offense occasionally to let them catch their breath. While it is fun and great to see us score on a bomb to Eskridge on the second play of the series, the defenders are still breathing hard and it's time to go in again. The defense spent almost the entire quarter on the field.

Especially when we also have starters on defense playing special teams. Makes for a LONG day when the units are already hurt.
12-01-2020 11:24 AM
AFLAGWA Offline
1st String

(12-01-2020 11:24 AM)broncofan1 Wrote:  
(12-01-2020 01:47 AM)MileHighBronco Wrote:  My issue with TOP in the last game was that our defense is out on the field way too long. It doesn't help that they can't seem to get off the field on third downs. I'd like to see more ball control offense occasionally to let them catch their breath. While it is fun and great to see us score on a bomb to Eskridge on the second play of the series, the defenders are still breathing hard and it's time to go in again. The defense spent almost the entire quarter on the field.

Especially when we also have starters on defense playing special teams. Makes for a LONG day when the units are already hurt.

Fully agree with both points. My point is that TOP without context isn't super meaningful.
12-01-2020 11:47 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.