Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Conference champions
Bookmark and Share
slycat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Texas State
Conference champions
With all the delays and maybe cancellations due to COVID, how will this affect who is the conference champion?

Let's say a team ends up with 1-2 cancelled conference games but finished undefeated in the games they do play and another team plays all their games but loses 1. Which team should go to the conference championship?

I feel the team that goes 7-1 should be in over a 6-0 team.
10-01-2020 11:35 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
RE: Conference champions
(10-01-2020 11:35 AM)slycat Wrote:  With all the delays and maybe cancellations due to COVID, how will this affect who is the conference champion?

Let's say a team ends up with 1-2 cancelled conference games but finished undefeated in the games they do play and another team plays all their games but loses 1. Which team should go to the conference championship?

The league has set aside both Dec 5 and Dec 12 for makeup games, so the hope is we don’t have to find out
10-01-2020 11:50 AM
OsageJ Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: stAte
(10-01-2020 11:35 AM)slycat Wrote:  With all the delays and maybe cancellations due to COVID, how will this affect who is the conference champion?

You are assuming the 6-0 team loses both canceled games. Tough call. You may have to go by winning percentage.
10-01-2020 12:49 PM
slycat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Texas State
Hopefully, the games all get made up. I was thinking this could easily happen in other conferences and wondered what number of cancelled games would end a season even if they went undefeated in the ones they played.
10-01-2020 01:32 PM
Advertisement

JTApps1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: App State
Our cancelation today got me thinking about the possibility of playing UL on Dec. 5 and then playing them again on Dec 12 or 19 for a championship. Imagine playing a team twice in two weeks and splitting the games, but one team gets a hardware. Talk abut a PR nightmare! Obviously this could apply to other teams beside App and UL.
10-01-2020 02:00 PM
NCeagle Offline
NOT BANNED

I Root For: Ga Southern
(10-01-2020 02:00 PM)JTApps1 Wrote:  Our cancelation today got me thinking about the possibility of playing UL on Dec. 5 and then playing them again on Dec 12 or 19 for a championship. Imagine playing a team twice in two weeks and splitting the games, but one team gets a hardware. Talk abut a PR nightmare! Obviously this could apply to other teams beside App and UL.

but even if yall beat UL, you wouldn't play them 2 weeks in a row since it will be Southern in the CCG :-D
10-01-2020 02:06 PM
iStoopify Offline
Special Teams

As to teams with unequal games, I believe computer rankings will play a part if they've not played head to head.
10-01-2020 02:16 PM
Advertisement

kevinwmsn Offline
1st String

I Root For: South Alabama
With cancellations starting to increase, maybe teams can start swapping some of their other games around. I think divisional games should get played to at least determine who gets to the conference champ game. USA still wants Troy after their divisional games gets played.
10-01-2020 02:16 PM
sdcritter Online
All American

I Root For: stAte
App doesn't have to worry about UL. We will be conference champs this year.
10-01-2020 02:20 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
I expect the conference title game will be moved to Dec 19
10-01-2020 03:08 PM
Advertisement

Yosef84 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Appalachian St
(10-01-2020 02:00 PM)JTApps1 Wrote:  Our cancelation today got me thinking about the possibility of playing UL on Dec. 5 and then playing them again on Dec 12 or 19 for a championship. Imagine playing a team twice in two weeks and splitting the games, but one team gets a hardware. Talk abut a PR nightmare! Obviously this could apply to other teams beside App and UL.

I'm working from memory but I think this exact scenario happened in CUSA in 2018 between MTSU and UAB. Also almost happened in AAC last year between Cincinnati and Memphis although Memphis won both in close games.
10-01-2020 03:16 PM
stingingeagle Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Ga Southern
There's only so many makeup games that can happen. With the shortened season and unpredictable cancellation of any given game, I vote to go all out, Battlebots style. Schedule every game in rapid fire succession over a period of a few days. Whoever is still standing gets the Giant Nut for 2020. Seriously, the season is screwed anyway..
10-01-2020 03:32 PM
THUNDERStruck73 Offline
Complete Jackass

I Root For: Herd, Our Lady, & Heels
(10-01-2020 03:16 PM)Yosef84 Wrote:  

I'm working from memory but I think this exact scenario happened in CUSA in 2018 between MTSU and UAB. Also almost happened in AAC last year between Cincinnati and Memphis although Memphis won both in close games.

It did. MTSU hosted UAB and beat them 27-3. The very next week, MTSU hosted the CCG and UAB returned the favor 27-25.

It’s hard to beat a team twice in a year.
10-01-2020 06:05 PM
Advertisement

JTApps1 Offline
1st String

(10-01-2020 02:06 PM)NCeagle Wrote:  

but even if yall beat UL, you wouldn't play them 2 weeks in a row since it will be Southern in the CCG :-D

How'd that work out the past two years? :)
10-02-2020 07:12 AM
kevinwmsn Offline
1st String

I Root For: South Alabama
I think Mid Tenn State should play Southern Miss to see who is the worst in that conference.
10-02-2020 09:29 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.