Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

News NJ Gov. calls off plan to remove American flags from Turnpike overpasses
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
NJ Gov. calls off plan to remove American flags from Turnpike overpasses
Quote:He’s running it down the flagpole.

New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy has backed down on a controversial new policy to remove dozens of American flags adorning the state’s highway overpasses amid growing outrage.

“I didn’t like what I heard,” the Democratic governor told reporters of the briefly instituted policy, which sparked an outcry from police and veterans groups as well as Republican lawmakers.

“We’ve suspended that for the time being until we can find a good way forward,” Murphy said.

He added, “We are the greatest nation on Earth even though we’re far from perfect and our flag represents that nation.”

People began hanging the flags above the New Jersey Turnpike in the aftermath of the Sept. 11 terror attacks, but the state agency that oversees the highways recently declared that they were in violation of state law and need to come down.

The Turnpike Authority’s rules prohibit “displays, posters, or placards, or display any advertising matter of any kind … on the roadway,” according to NJ.com.

Robbinsville Township police union president Michael Slininger said his group had just paid for 12 replacements along the Turnpike and I-195, and was blindsided by the policy change, Fox News reported.

“It is not known what happened to the brand new flags that we put up, but we truly hope they were respectfully disposed of, if not displayed elsewhere,” he posted on Facebook.

As word of the flag removals spread, two Republican state legislators threatened to take action if Murphy didn’t reverse course and introduce a bill that would exempt Old Glory from the statute.

“This is an instance where government oversight obviously is not needed,” Sen. Declan O’Scanlon and Assemblywoman Serena DiMaso said in a joint statement.

“We clearly have a massive group of private citizens, veterans and police officers dedicated to ensuring that those flags are safely and securely hung, and respectfully maintained,” they said.

Link
09-09-2020 02:59 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
RE: NJ Gov. calls off plan to remove American flags from Turnpike overpasses
Once in a while someone gets to these clowns and asks WTF they are thinking...
09-09-2020 03:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

I Root For: My Kids & ECU

Crappies
Murphy has made a lot of enemies in the last 6 months including a lot of people that voted for him. I think he realizes that he is in a little bit of trouble.
09-09-2020 03:08 PM
Advertisement

TigerBlue4Ever Offline
Unapologetic A-hole

I Root For: yo mama
"...until we can find a good way forward". Here's an idea, leave them the hell alone.
09-09-2020 05:00 PM
umbluegray Offline
Legend

I Root For: The Tigers!
I think his real motivation is that he felt the heat.

Which is a good thing.
09-09-2020 05:16 PM
GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

I Root For: My Kids & ECU

Crappies
(09-09-2020 05:16 PM)umbluegray Wrote:  I think his real motivation is that he felt the heat.

Which is a good thing.

All of his policy changes recently have been due to a lot of heat that he is feeling. Hope his hypocrite self is gone from NJ very soon.
09-09-2020 05:34 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.