Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Interesting conversation from the Waffle House
GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

I Root For: New Horizons
Ate lunch at a Waffle House today. Asked the staff how things were going. They said slow but steadily picking up. Inquired as to when another nearby location that had been shut down for months would re-open. They said they could have opened already, but the company was having problems getting the staff to come back because of the $600 unemployment addition the Democrats wanted to extend.

She stated that too many people were waiting to come back to work since they were making more money sitting at home doing nothing from government checks, and therefore that location could not reopen, since they could not find workers to staff that restaurant...I noted that many people were out of work looking for jobs, yet because of the extra $600 would not take the jobs that were available, which was hurting the economy overall, making things worse for everyone. I pointed out that if that continued, those people would lose their jobs permanently if that restaurant closed for good instead of temporarily and that the government unemployment checks would hurt their families in the long run. She said she hadn't thought of that, and admitted she had kids and that she needed her job to be there for her now and in the future, which is why she was working, plus it was stressful staying locked up at home all day.

We have all seen Nancy Pelosi has plenty of expensive ice cream in her freezer, but she doesn't care about these people and their problems. People at that Waffle House know that having a job is better that not having one at all, and that government checks are not as great as the Democrats make them sound.
08-04-2020 11:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

RE: Interesting conversation from the Waffle House
I later on went to pick my kid up from face-to-face school, which just started, thank goodness. Took him to a favorite frozen yogurt place we hadn't been to since March because of the shutdown. A very nice seafood restaurant in same shopping center had removed its sign and closed down. When we ate there before, we noted it was exquisite, fresh seafood, and clean with a nice and knowledgeable staff and a well-designed decor. Sorry to see it gone due to the government-ordered shutdown.

At the frozen yogurt place (one of those where you pull the handles yourself and fill your cup with flavors and fixins) the owner was staffing the counter. Said the restrooms were closed because of local government order, which seemed strange. Asked him how his business was doing. Said he was very shaky. Gave him my loyalty card to scan, which was old. Told him we had just returned from face-to-face school in person, and that he might consider running a promotion with the school to attract the customers nearby who were returning to pick their kids up from school.

Mentioned that, years ago, when he first opened, it was just such a promotion that first alerted me to his store's presence in the neighborhood, and, as he could see from my loyalty card, I had become a loyal customer, except for the government lockdown. He thanked me and said he would get in touch with the school again as he needed to do everything to keep his small business going and make it through the late summer before winter came, as he had lost a substantial portion of his business due to the government shutdowns and had already had to let a number of workers go from the two locations he owned (his son was manning the counter at the other location, he said.) His selection of flavors was down to half of what they typically were (we got cookies and cream and raspberry-pomegranate sorbet).

These are the small businesses that make up our local communities that are losing jobs permanently and hurting owners and workers alike. Democrats do not care about poor people, middle class people, or any people. Democrats do not care about hurting America or Americans. In the past, some Democrats used to care. Not anymore. Republicans certainly are not perfect. neither is our President. But our President DOES CARE about these small businesses and their workers. He may not be the best articulator of his feelings, but his actions to help the economy recover so quickly over the last 3 and a half years show that he cared and cares a lot more than the two fruits who were in charge for the previous 8 years and ruined so many lives and businesses.
08-05-2020 12:00 AM
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
It thought that if your employer had work for you...You have to go back or you lose your unemployment benefit. Is that not true?
08-05-2020 05:32 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
School started on August 4th? They don't even start that early in Georgia. Texas made a law when public schools started opening in July, pushing the start date back.
08-05-2020 09:32 AM
Advertisement

Eagleaidaholic Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Southern Miss
(08-05-2020 09:32 AM)bullet Wrote:  School started on August 4th? They don't even start that early in Georgia. Texas made a law when public schools started opening in July, pushing the start date back.

Starting here today and tomorrow. When I was a kid we didn't start till the Tuesday after Labor Day. But then again, we didn't have A/C. Child abusers. Could you imagine the kids today going to school with the windows open?
08-05-2020 09:37 AM
JMUDunk Online
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

I Root For: Freedom
(08-05-2020 05:32 AM)Fo Shizzle Wrote:  It thought that if your employer had work for you...You have to go back or you lose your unemployment benefit. Is that not true?

I believe there is some window dressing provision such as that.

Who’s gonna check up on each Waffle House?
08-05-2020 09:43 AM
Eldonabe Offline
No More Wire Hangars!

I Root For: All but Uconn
(08-05-2020 09:43 AM)JMUDunk Wrote:  
(08-05-2020 05:32 AM)Fo Shizzle Wrote:  It thought that if your employer had work for you...You have to go back or you lose your unemployment benefit. Is that not true?

I love Waffles - I will start the barn-storming tour tomorrow morning!
08-05-2020 09:46 AM
Advertisement

MemTigers1998 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis

All the individual owner has to do is notify the unemployment office. This girl at my wife's work tried that when they opened back up. The office manager told her she could stay home, but unemployment services would be notified and she'd lose that extra $600 plus, there'd be no guarantee her job would be there when she felt like returning. The girl was back the next day.
08-05-2020 10:04 AM
fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
Who goes to Waffle House sober?
08-05-2020 10:07 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(08-05-2020 09:37 AM)Eagleaidaholic Wrote:  
(08-05-2020 09:32 AM)bullet Wrote:  School started on August 4th? They don't even start that early in Georgia. Texas made a law when public schools started opening in July, pushing the start date back.

Starting here today and tomorrow. When I was a kid we didn't start till the Tuesday after Labor Day. But then again, we didn't have A/C. Child abusers. Could you imagine the kids today going to school with the windows open?

We started in August when I was a kid (except in Ohio which was after Labor Day). No air conditioning until 8th grade. And 7th grade was in San Antonio.

Actually had a student walkout in HS when the air conditioning was still out after 2 weeks (but was working in the office). Teachers encouraged the walkout. It got fixed the next day.
08-05-2020 10:42 AM
Advertisement

GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

(08-05-2020 09:37 AM)Eagleaidaholic Wrote:  

Yeah you had to sit nest to those fans a'blowin'. Used to be tough in the early fall and late Spring, especially for growing boys. All schools are different this year, but yeah, last year they started end of JULY. The extended year with the fall break accounts for some of the early start, and more teacher workdays scheduled. Just glad they're back in person. Kids were going stir crazy with all the online nonsense.
08-05-2020 11:08 AM
fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
Our county moved back from Aug. 10 to 31. I'm fine with that.
08-05-2020 11:09 AM
GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

(08-05-2020 10:07 AM)fsquid Wrote:  Who goes to Waffle House sober?

I've been for Breakfast, lunch and dinner same day when I was a spry lad. We luvs us some Waffle House in the South!
08-05-2020 11:10 AM
Advertisement

MemTigers1998 Offline
Hall of Famer

Love WH - drunk, sober, high, breakfast, lunch or dinner
08-05-2020 11:12 AM
GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

(08-05-2020 10:04 AM)MemTigers1998 Wrote:  

All the individual owner has to do is notify the unemployment office. This girl at my wife's work tried that when they opened back up. The office manager told her she could stay home, but unemployment services would be notified and she'd lose that extra $600 plus, there'd be no guarantee her job would be there when she felt like returning. The girl was back the next day.

Don't know for sure on that. Just telling ya'll what the manager lady said to me. That program bill was rushed through without closing all the loopholes, so it wouldn't surprise if there's something in there that gave them the leeway somehow. Your Democrat House guvment at work. Seems logical that's why the Reps want to be a bit more prudent this time.

I wasn't expecting that info, just wanted to know why the other location was closed so I had to drive farther for my scattered and topped. Whatever the consequences, the manager made clear they were having problems at many of their locations finding any staff to come work. One thing about Waffle Houses, they built their older locations without locks on the customer entrance doors since they were always open 24/7 365/366. I guess they've had to change that. Spent many a post-Christmas Eve service in the early am waiting in line for my pecan waffle and eggs.
08-05-2020 11:18 AM
450bench Offline

(08-05-2020 11:12 AM)MemTigers1998 Wrote:  Love WH - drunk, sober, high, breakfast, lunch or dinner

I go every Saturday morning with some old friends.
08-05-2020 11:53 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.