Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

A top Fed official believes we should go into a national shutdown
miko33 Offline
Defender of Honesty and Integrity

I Root For: Alma Mater
https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/whit...d-shutdown

Quote:President Trump is not considering a national lockdown amid a flare-up in coronavirus cases countrywide, even after a top Federal Reserve official said a prolonged shutdown could deliver a faster economic recovery.

White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany told reporters on Tuesday that Trump is instead focused on mitigation efforts, including mask-wearing, social distancing and reopening businesses safely to "avoid the health consequences of a lockdown."

Quote:McEnany's comments came after Neel Kashkari, the president of the Minneapolis Federal Reserve Bank, said during an interview on CBS's "Face the Nation" that the best way for the U.S. to control the virus -- and there ensure a robust economic recovery -- is to impose a "hard" lockdown.

“I mean if we were to lock down really hard, I know I hate to even suggest it, people will be frustrated by it, but if we were to lock down hard for a month or six weeks, we could get the case count down so that our testing and our contact tracing was actually enough to control it the way that it's happening in the Northeast right now,” Kashkari said. “They had a rocky start, but they're doing a pretty good job right now.”

If the U.S. does not take such action, he said, the virus will continue to spread throughout the country, with flare-ups and local lockdowns repeatedly triggering fresh business failures.
(This post was last modified: 08-04-2020 08:17 PM by miko33.)
08-04-2020 08:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Eagleaidaholic Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Southern Miss
RE: A top Fed official believes we should go into a national shutdown
(08-04-2020 08:16 PM)miko33 Wrote:  https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/whit...d-shutdown

Quote:President Trump is not considering a national lockdown amid a flare-up in coronavirus cases countrywide, even after a top Federal Reserve official said a prolonged shutdown could deliver a faster economic recovery.

White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany told reporters on Tuesday that Trump is instead focused on mitigation efforts, including mask-wearing, social distancing and reopening businesses safely to "avoid the health consequences of a lockdown."

Quote:McEnany's comments came after Neel Kashkari, the president of the Minneapolis Federal Reserve Bank, said during an interview on CBS's "Face the Nation" that the best way for the U.S. to control the virus -- and there ensure a robust economic recovery -- is to impose a "hard" lockdown.

“I mean if we were to lock down really hard, I know I hate to even suggest it, people will be frustrated by it, but if we were to lock down hard for a month or six weeks, we could get the case count down so that our testing and our contact tracing was actually enough to control it the way that it's happening in the Northeast right now,” Kashkari said. “They had a rocky start, but they're doing a pretty good job right now.”

If the U.S. does not take such action, he said, the virus will continue to spread throughout the country, with flare-ups and local lockdowns repeatedly triggering fresh business failures.

Let me guess. This clown will still keep getting paid during the shutdown.
08-04-2020 08:27 PM
BatonRougeEscapee Offline
1st String

I Root For: GEAUX TIGERS &
(08-04-2020 08:16 PM)miko33 Wrote:  https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/whit...d-shutdown

Nope, too late for that. A hard lock down was needed initially or not at all. Our soft lock down just delayed the spread. We shut down places with literally zero cases.
We'd be a heck of a lot better off if we allowed spread up to 75% hospital capacity and then done hard lock downs of those areas, similar to what happened in NYC, Italy, etc. Instead we sort of locked down everywhere for 8 - 12 weeks and flattened the hell out of the curve but extended the first wave by months.

At this point people will not go for another lock down. Too many won't even wear a mask.We had our chance to manage this and the scientists advising the politicians totally botched the call. We are going to have to ride out the wave.
08-04-2020 08:34 PM
THE NC Herd Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
(08-04-2020 08:34 PM)BatonRougeEscapee Wrote:  

Nope, too late for that. A hard lock down was needed initially or not at all. Our soft lock down just delayed the spread. We shut down places with literally zero cases.
We'd be a heck of a lot better off if we allowed spread up to 75% hospital capacity and then done hard lock downs of those areas, similar to what happened in NYC, Italy, etc. Instead we sort of locked down everywhere for 8 - 12 weeks and flattened the hell out of the curve but extended the first wave by months.

At this point people will not go for another lock down. Too many won't even wear a mask.We had our chance to manage this and the scientists advising the politicians totally botched the call. We are going to have to ride out the wave.

And yet Sweden NEVER shutdown, NEVER saw a major spike in cases and is not seeing the uptick other nations are.
08-04-2020 08:37 PM
green Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Miami
08-04-2020 08:37 PM
Advertisement

mptnstr@44 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Nati Bearcats
(08-04-2020 08:37 PM)THE NC Herd Fan Wrote:  

And yet Sweden NEVER shutdown, NEVER saw a major spike in cases and is not seeing the uptick other nations are.

"This is what has happened: Not only have thousands more people died than in neighboring countries that imposed lockdowns, but Sweden’s economy has fared little better."

"Per million people, Sweden has suffered 40 percent more deaths than the United States, 12 times more than Norway, seven times more than Finland and six times more than Denmark."

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/07/busin...virus.html

Don't point to Sweden as an example of a best way to handle this. Their numbers are worse than the US — way worse.
Their Natioanl Health System also made the conscious decision to not treat their elderly (those over 70) who got Covid19 with more than pallative care.
(This post was last modified: 08-04-2020 09:07 PM by mptnstr@44.)
08-04-2020 09:03 PM
green Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-04-2020 09:03 PM)mptnstr@44 Wrote:  

"This is what has happened: Not only have thousands more people died than in neighboring countries that imposed lockdowns, but Sweden’s economy has fared little better."

"Per million people, Sweden has suffered 40 percent more deaths than the United States, 12 times more than Norway, seven times more than Finland and six times more than Denmark."

Don't point to Sweden as an example of a best way to handle this. Their numbers are worse than the US — way worse.
Their Natioanl Health System also made the conscious decision to not treat their elderly (those over 70) who got Covid19 with more than pallative care.

their economic numbers are way better without going into stifling debt ...

DON’T WORRY BE HAPPY
08-04-2020 09:19 PM
Eagleaidaholic Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Southern Miss
(08-04-2020 09:03 PM)mptnstr@44 Wrote:  

Don't know where those numbers come from but 484 per million for US and 569 per million for Sweden is not 40% more. It is just 17% more. And there are portions of Sweden that are no where near medical care. Wouldn't consider this "way worse".
08-04-2020 09:37 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(08-04-2020 08:27 PM)Eagleaidaholic Wrote:  

Let me guess. This clown will still keep getting paid during the shutdown.

And the fed official is an expert on the spread of the virus how???

Nobody should listen to him on this topic. Its like asking Fauci on the impact of at home learning on elementary kids.
08-04-2020 09:41 PM
Advertisement

200yrs2late Offline
Resident Parrothead

I Root For: East Carolina
Hellfuck no

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
08-04-2020 09:46 PM
banker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
Would peaceful protesters be exempt from his proposal?
08-04-2020 10:19 PM
GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

I Root For: New Horizons
(08-04-2020 10:19 PM)banker Wrote:  Would peaceful protesters be exempt from his proposal?

Only if they're 'peacefully' burning stores, 'peacefully' looting and 'peacefully' killing, like Democrats 'peacefully' kill millions and millions of defenseless black babies and girls at Planned ParenthoodMurder, Inc.
08-04-2020 10:51 PM
Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers

Sweden still saw huge participation in a voluntary shut down. People there didn’t just act like life was normal.
08-04-2020 11:53 PM
Advertisement

WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WKU
I said this at the time (week or two after they started)of the shutdowns (I'm 100% go about your life and those at major risk take caution) that if this virus has a 14 day window that if we had shutdown for 3 to 4 weeks most of the cases should be gone.

Totally shutdown other than food and those are locked in place. You give each person the $1,200 a week and if a family couldnt pay their bills on 2,400 to 4,800 a week. They are in trouble already.

If the government spent $250,000,000 on the first rounds of checks....1 trillion is what it would have costed. Dont have to worry about paying unemployment. Of course the government would have to help companies with a bailout. But it would be less than already spent.

All families gets a one time food allowance for the 4 weeks and you give a 10 to 14 day before it starts. If you cant shutdown, hospitals, police, fire, those in the food supply line. You are running on 12 hour shifts and stay in place. Get paid double pay for the 4 weeks. Very easy to enforce because unless its a medical problem...you shouldnt be on the street.

Again I believe you go about living and deal with the deaths...people die. But if you are going to lockdown people would be more willing if they were getting paid for it...

cutout all the pork and cut the trillions we already spent in half. I would hate to see this in America over a damn virus thats going to turnout about like a really bad flu season or even twice as bad. But if the government is going to control us with made up rules...

at least do it so everyone is following the same rules and 3 to 4 weeks later the world goes on. Or you do it in sections with the west feeding us before their lockdown and the south feeding the west after the south gets out of lockdown...no other traveling.

If that didnt get this under control then you know its something we will have to live with. Which I knew that from the beginning
(This post was last modified: 08-05-2020 12:08 AM by WKUYG.)
08-05-2020 12:08 AM
pkptigers07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis
The $600 a week unemployment bonus is the largest absurdity of the relief bill. In TN that comes out to over $41,000 per year. You would need to pull a salary of close to
$50,000 annually to bring home that much.

The average salary in TN is just over $41,000. So instead of providing aid and job protections to working seniors and other at risk populations who didn’t necessarily lose their jobs we get an unemployment bonus that is a disincentive for half of the population to go back to work. Think of the lives (and livelihoods) that could have been saved if we paid at risk folks to quarantine and provided extended FMLA type protections so even those who didn’t lose jobs could stay at home and stay afloat.

I’d bet the age breakdown of those earning under $50,000 in TN skews to the under 40 crowd that is also at fairly low risk of COVID-19 complications.
08-05-2020 12:22 AM
TheDancinMonarch Offline
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion

Aren't we currently in day 144 of 15 days to stop the spread? Or maybe I lost count.
08-05-2020 12:54 AM
DownEastPirate Offline
1st String

I Root For: East Carolina
No surprise here, all hands on deck with the election approaching. Insanely enough you've got Obiden adds out there bashing the economy and unemployment at the same time you've got the dems literally causing it by demanding closures and using police to keep people from running their business. Trump has been vocal in his displeasure for the fed so it's time for them to get their licks in and make the economy go even further downhill in hopes of getting their rag doll Obiden in the office.
(This post was last modified: 08-05-2020 05:43 AM by DownEastPirate.)
08-05-2020 05:36 AM
green Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-05-2020 05:36 AM)DownEastPirate Wrote:  No surprise here, all hands on deck with the election approaching. Insanely enough you've got Obiden ads out there bashing the economy and unemployment at the same time you've got the dems literally causing it by demanding closures and using police to keep people from running their business. Trump has been vocal in his displeasure for the fed so it's time for them to get their licks in and make the economy go even further downhill in hopes of getting their rag doll Obiden in the office.

post of the day ...

PARADOX OF TOLERANCE
08-05-2020 09:32 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.