This is likely last chance to get long overdue merger of Sun Belt and C-USA
05-25-2020 09:56 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Dracorex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
RE: This is likely last chance to get long overdue merger of Sun Belt and C-USA
silly season posts have moved into the media circles. This is the same garbage we see every year in the summer, but this time we add Covid 19 as a reason. It too shall pass.

we have no motivation in sharing revenue and a conference with South or Troy State Normal School. I'm sure the Louisiana schools feel the same way. It only hurts/evens up recruiting. If we want to have a schedule with any of the sunbelt schools we can do that at the school level. No need to have the conference force us to do it. We have the phone number for Troy's and South's athletic departments.
05-25-2020 10:07 AM
BlazintheAtl1 Offline
All American

This writer leaves out some important details, like would we just give up an auto bid? Regardless of where UAB ends up, i hope conference commissioners and university presidents really consider doing something to get rid of the overlap in the SBC and CUSA and either form a scheduling alliance or geographically realign the conferences completely. Personally, i wish we were playing GaST, GaSo, Troy, and USA every year. The belief that were "too good" to share a conference with Troy and USA is foolish pride. Troy has historically had a better football program than us, USA has had a much better baseball program than us, and our basketball program hasnt been relevant nationally since the Mike Anderson years (hope that changes with AK). Im pretty sure UAB fans are the only people who view UAB athletics as being above Troy and USA. Its time to drop the overinflated ego and do what makes sense for the financial health of our programs.
05-25-2020 10:39 AM
UAB Schnauzer Offline
1st String

You share a conference with your university peers. That excludes most of current sunbelt
05-25-2020 11:08 AM
blazers9911 Offline
Hall of Famer

Survivor Runner-up
The basketball program was nationally relevant under Davis too. It just didn’t quite reach the Anderson level because he could never get over that last hump seemingly every year.
05-25-2020 11:31 AM
BlazintheAtl1 Offline
All American

(05-25-2020 11:08 AM)UAB Schnauzer Wrote:  You share a conference with your university peers. That excludes most of current sunbelt

Rice seems to be ok sharing a conference with the rest of us and I don't anyone views Western Kentucky or Southern Miss as academic powerhouses.
(This post was last modified: 05-25-2020 11:38 AM by BlazintheAtl1.)
05-25-2020 11:35 AM
Advertisement

BlazerGreen Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB, Goals
I hope UAB administrators and boosters aren't spending one second entertaining such a merger. We should have one thing on our collective mind as a program: getting back where we belong.

Legion Field would be just fine for that league. We aren't building the new stadium to play in CUSA forever.

**** this virus. We've overcome everything else, we'll overcome it too.
Our destiny does not lead to the CUSA-Belt.

ATL: Rice is a small private school. We are a large, urban, and public research university. Our official master plan identifies The University of Cincinnati and The University of South Florida as best representing our peer group.
(This post was last modified: 05-25-2020 11:43 AM by BlazerGreen.)
05-25-2020 11:35 AM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
(05-25-2020 11:35 AM)BlazerGreen Wrote:  I hope UAB administrators and boosters aren't spending one second entertaining such a merger. We should have one thing on our collective mind as a program: getting back where we belong.

Legion Field would be just fine for that league. We aren't building the new stadium to play in CUSA forever.

ATL: Rice is a small private school. We are a large, urban, and public research university. Our official master plan identifies The University of Cincinnati and The University of South Florida as best representing our peer group.

We are not building the Protective Life Stadium either -- we are going to rent it - for a handsome fee - from its owner - the BJCC.

The UAB administration and that of C-USA must consider where the various programs in our region are headed, and where we fit into the picture over time. UAB is located in a state that is falling farther behind its regional contemporaries every census (9 to 6 House seats in my lifetime) so there is a risk that much federal funding will decline over time as other states have greater numbers in Congress and compete for our shares of the "pie". Several states covet the current $3 back for every $1 sent to Washington,DC and want to get some of it for themselves at our expense. Perhaps it's just coincidence, but every time Alabama lost a House seat in the past census, a major state military base has been closed.
05-25-2020 04:17 PM
THE_LEGEND Offline
1st String

(05-25-2020 04:17 PM)BAMANBLAZERFAN Wrote:  
(05-25-2020 11:35 AM)BlazerGreen Wrote:  I hope UAB administrators and boosters aren't spending one second entertaining such a merger. We should have one thing on our collective mind as a program: getting back where we belong.

We are not building the Protective Life Stadium either -- we are going to rent it - for a handsome fee - from its owner - the BJCC.

The UAB administration and that of C-USA must consider where the various programs in our region are headed, and where we fit into the picture over time. UAB is located in a state that is falling farther behind its regional contemporaries every census (9 to 6 House seats in my lifetime) so there is a risk that much federal funding will decline over time as other states have greater numbers in Congress and compete for our shares of the "pie". Several states covet the current $3 back for every $1 sent to Washington,DC and want to get some of it for themselves at our expense. Perhaps it's just coincidence, but every time Alabama lost a House seat in the past census, a major state military base has been closed.

Quit typing "We" when discussing UAB and UAB athletics. you are clearly a Sabanite.
05-25-2020 06:09 PM
KevMo4UAB Offline
#FreeUAB

I believe Alabama has seven House seats, not six.
05-25-2020 06:32 PM
MAN4UAB Offline
All American

I don’t see any real benefit for UAB With this plan. We already have Sunbelt teams on the future schedule in football. I believe that the olympic teams also schedule locally pretty much.
05-25-2020 06:50 PM
Advertisement

BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
(05-25-2020 06:32 PM)KevMo4UAB Wrote:  

I believe Alabama has seven House seats, not six.

Alabama has 7 House seats right now. It is projected to be reduced by one when the 2020 census results are finalized. Alabama had 9 in 1950 when it dropped to 8. Then after a later census, it dropped to 7. It is the ONLY southern sunbelt state presently projected to lose a House seat by this year's census. All of our regional peers are projected to hold what they have or gain seats for 2021 (Texas is projected to gain 3). After Alabama dropped from 9 to 8, Brookley AFB in Mobile was closed. After Alabama dropped from 8 to 7, Ft McClellan near Anniston was closed. All a coincidence? Maybe not. Danley AFB near Montgomery is one of two stateside bases presently slated to get the F-35 by 2025. Can it hold on to it?
(This post was last modified: 05-26-2020 02:29 AM by BAMANBLAZERFAN.)
05-26-2020 02:26 AM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
I don’t care if the merge or not. We won’t be around to care. We will be on to better things to be with our peers.
05-26-2020 08:21 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ramblin Wreck Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Georgia Tech/ UAB/ Bama
(05-25-2020 09:56 AM)WesternBlazer Wrote:  https://www.theadvocate.com/acadiana/spo...ssion=true

Would rather just see UAB in the AAC, but if it had to happen -

Add Liberty and New Mexico State and then -

Red or U or whatever (original CUSA had three divisions BTW)
West - UTSA, Tex State, New Mex St, UTEP, N Tex
East - Rice, La Tech, UL, ULM, Ark St

White or S or whatever
West - SMiss, UAB, USA, Troy
East - FAU, FIU, Ga So, Ga St

Blue or A or whatever
North - Marsh, WKU, ODU, Liberty
South - App St, Coastal, Char, MTSU

Winners of U, S, A, and MAC have mini playoff to determine who gets a New Years day bowl game
05-26-2020 08:41 AM
HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(05-26-2020 08:21 AM)ATTALLABLAZE Wrote:  I don’t care if the merge or not. We won’t be around to care. We will be on to better things to be with our peers.

And since going to the AAC isn't a guarantee we need to be in the best position possible to sustain athletics. Just sayin'.......
05-26-2020 09:25 AM
BlazerGreen Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB, Goals
(05-26-2020 09:25 AM)HiddenDragon Wrote:  
(05-26-2020 08:21 AM)ATTALLABLAZE Wrote:  I don’t care if the merge or not. We won’t be around to care. We will be on to better things to be with our peers.

And since going to the AAC isn't a guarantee we need to be in the best position possible to sustain athletics. Just sayin'.......

Agree 100% with AB. Don't want to care about some merger. If we are doing what we need to be doing to move up, then we're automatically going to be a part of some stronger/rationalized configuration of the C-Belt. Do you think they are going to leave UAB out? No way.

I'd just prefer to see our people not directly associated with any such effort. All signals at UAB need to be flashing AAC.
05-26-2020 10:31 AM
Advertisement

BlazintheAtl1 Offline
All American

Agree.Who knows when or if the AAC is going to come calling. Hell, who even knows what the G5 landscape will look like by the time they, if they do. These arent mutually exclusive endeavors. If the CUSA and SBC commissioners and presidents decide some type of reallignment, merger, or alliance is whats best then I'm all for it. We can still do it with the ultimate goal of moving up to a better conference.
05-26-2020 11:17 AM
WesternBlazer Online
Hall of Famer

05-26-2020 12:08 PM
HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(05-26-2020 10:31 AM)BlazerGreen Wrote:  

Agree 100% with AB. Don't want to care about some merger. If we are doing what we need to be doing to move up, then we're automatically going to be a part of some stronger/rationalized configuration of the C-Belt. Do you think they are going to leave UAB out? No way.

I'd just prefer to see our people not directly associated with any such effort. All signals at UAB need to be flashing AAC.

And you don't think any G-5 program not in the MWC or AAC isn't flashing those two conferences? Waiting for something that may or may not happen isn't going to sustain the athletic budget. Again just sayin'.....
(This post was last modified: 05-26-2020 12:12 PM by HiddenDragon.)
05-26-2020 12:11 PM
HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
Futhermore, CUSA wouldn't be in this situation had they chose to go 10 teams instead of 14 after the raid happened.
05-26-2020 12:15 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.