If we can get kids back around then we might be ok
04-06-2020 06:39 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

trueeagle98 Offline
1st String

I Root For: GS Eagles
RE: Timeline to save football season
Things will start to transition to Normal in May. I don't think people understand that the economy will need to get going again , even if slowly, very soon. An economic collapse would lead to more lives lost than the worst case CV19 scenarios and the way local and federal orders are being used, a loss of most of our freedoms. The needs of the many, out way the needs of the few. To take a Spock phrase. Of course it's more nuanced, but this is it in a nutshell.
Looking for things to really get back to normal this summer. They will push the combo treatment as a good way to reduce mortality and the severity of the symptoms while we wait until they can produce a vaccine for next year. While it still seems this virus is more lethal than the seasonal flu it is no where near as deadly as it has been made out to be. It is generally mild and current estimates have 50%+ of those infected being asymptomatic.
04-06-2020 06:52 AM
slycat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Texas State
They expect the peak in Houston to be early May. So that could be easing back restrictions in June. I think this summer you will see most of the businesses reopen. The real question is will the CDC allow large public gatherings. If they increase it to say 500 or even 5000. That doesn't open up football stadiums for the public. The worst possible thing would be to have flattened the curve and then spike it again.
04-06-2020 07:52 AM
WolfBird Offline
All American

I Root For:
Timeline to save football season
If they ease it back to 500 buy 7/1 we can start all sports back and just play in empty stadiums until they remove the restriction entirely.

That would be sufficient for me. 3/4 of the SBC teams play in empty stadiums by late October any way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(This post was last modified: 04-06-2020 08:00 AM by WolfBird.)
04-06-2020 07:59 AM
GaSoEagle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Ga Southern
You will see some pull back from all the restrictions after the April 30 Federal guidelines expire. I think by June 1 most will be gone. With the virus be totally gone by then? No it won t but we cannot continue the shutdown for months and months
04-06-2020 09:56 AM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
Remember everyone, the quarantine is not so you never get the virus, it’s so we don’t all get it in a two week period. We are in our houses to slow the spreads not stop it. Once we get past the hump we’re the medical side won’t be over run, no reason to not open things back up. Doesn’t have to be all at once, something need to go slow to not spoke it again, but places have to reopen. Start with manufacturing, give it a week or so, then restaurants, then arenas with mass gatherings. Take about a month or 1.5 months to get everything reopened.

New York seems to have peaked, and that was almost 2 weeks earlier than they expected, if they have indeed peaked. That’s good news for everyone that this thing will be over sooner than expected. If all areas are showing it slowing by mid April, no reason for things not be back to normal by mid June.
04-06-2020 10:11 AM
Advertisement

HighlandsApp Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: AppState
It is going to be determined by what University presidents decide regarding the fall semester and mitigating liability of students, staff and the community in which the university is located.
04-06-2020 12:42 PM
trueeagle98 Offline
1st String

I Root For: GS Eagles
Is there liability for flu or any of the things that can cause illness or death at school. People really need to stop being so scared of this virus. People act like this is worse than the plague and you if you catch it you'll die.
04-06-2020 01:23 PM
WolfBird Offline
All American

I Root For:
(04-06-2020 01:23 PM)trueeagle98 Wrote:  Is there liability for flu or any of the things that can cause illness or death at school. People really need to stop being so scared of this virus. People act like this is worse than the plague and you if you catch it you'll die.

Apparently you’ve never been sued before.

04-06-2020 01:24 PM
Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

I Root For: TXST, A&M, UNT
(04-06-2020 01:23 PM)trueeagle98 Wrote:  Is there liability for flu or any of the things that can cause illness or death at school. People really need to stop being so scared of this virus. People act like this is worse than the plague and you if you catch it you'll die.

No one's saying If you catch it you'll die.

But here's a Fun Fact for you . . . .

IF you catch it, you COULD die . . . there is presently No Cure, No Vaccine.

As of this date, there are over 10,000 deaths across the country, and that number is rising.

"People need to stop being so scared of this virus." You say ?!

People need to listen to the medical experts, and do what they can to prevent "catching it" and/or "spreading it."

BTJMO. . . . Good luck to you.
04-06-2020 03:02 PM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

Staph is in every locker room in the country. I don’t see school closing athletics because someone got staph, and it can be dangerous as well. If you are worried about catching COVID-19, then stay in your house forever, because it isn’t just going to go away. Neither did the flu that killed a ton of people 100 years ago.

I’m not suggesting opening before it’s time, but you can’t make a prediction at this point for 4 months from now. There are still to many unknowns.
04-06-2020 03:19 PM
Advertisement

chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
In terms of College Football. Most reasonable estimates is that coaches would need between 30-45 days to prepare. That would mean be able to have kids on campuses together sometime in Mid July to August 1. If we run past that deadline, we're probably looking at a situation where they take nonconference games out

Trump desperately wants fans back in stadiums in August, He might be a tad optimistic on that. I think we could easily be looking at a situation where NFL gets rid of preseason games, and starts a Week or two late. Where that leaves colleges is unknown. Unlike the NFL which could get away with some closed preseason scrimmages, College Football can't afford to play games in empty stadiums...they need the ticket sales. And with no universal arm to control FBS football unlike the other sports, there's no real set idea with how this could work. The 10 FBS leagues will have to work together to come up with a solution.
04-06-2020 05:03 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(04-06-2020 03:19 PM)Usajags Wrote:  Staph is in every locker room in the country. I don’t see school closing athletics because someone got staph, and it can be dangerous as well. If you are worried about catching COVID-19, then stay in your house forever, because it isn’t just going to go away. Neither did the flu that killed a ton of people 100 years ago.

I’m not suggesting opening before it’s time, but you can’t make a prediction at this point for 4 months from now. There are still to many unknowns.

There's a difference between bringing kids back when the CDC says its safe to do so and bringing them back to early. If you break CDC and Government advice to bring your kids back and then someone gets sick, you are likely to see a lawsuit simply because you went against what the CDC recommended

If the CDC Gives the all clear and then someone gets sick, there's a lot more wiggle room because you would have had permission to do so.
04-06-2020 05:06 PM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

Obviously I don’t think anything happens until the CDC gives the “all clear”.

I’m just hoping that things will peak in the next week and by May 1st we can see some life returning to our country, and by mid-June we are back to all things being open and life pumping along.
04-06-2020 05:54 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(04-06-2020 05:54 PM)Usajags Wrote:  Obviously I don’t think anything happens until the CDC gives the “all clear”.

I’m just hoping that things will peak in the next week and by May 1st we can see some life returning to our country, and by mid-June we are back to all things being open and life pumping along.

May 1st is very tentative right now. A lot of it depends on what the situation looks like in three weeks.

We are likely looking at situations where parts of the country could partially reopen on or around May 10. However some states are not looking at peaks until Mid May, which means potentially another 3 weeks beyond that before things can reopen.

However, cases in the US are beginning to slow. If they continue to slow over the next couple weeks, its possible that some states will feel more comfortable about reopening at least partially

I doubt Public Schools start back anywhere this school year, but perhaps allowing some non essential businesses to open back up and maybe limited dining room seating at restaurants could be possible. I doubt we see mass gatherings until Mid Summer at the earliest. I think a big eye will be on what the Pro Sports do. Many of them have teams in the hard hit areas like NY and LA, which are likely not going to be comfortable reopening for some time. Will they even be comfortable having games proceed without fans?
04-06-2020 06:03 PM
warhawk09 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Bob

There is a bigger world out there than Fox News.
04-06-2020 06:52 PM
Advertisement

Jag89 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: USA
(04-06-2020 06:52 PM)warhawk09 Wrote:  

All of the other biased media will surely scream loudly when the numbers turn downward and we begin to normalize. They'd prefer to drag this out to November.
(This post was last modified: 04-06-2020 07:22 PM by Jag89.)
04-06-2020 07:22 PM
WolfBird Offline
All American

I Root For:
(04-06-2020 07:22 PM)Jag89 Wrote:  
(04-06-2020 06:52 PM)warhawk09 Wrote:  

All of the other biased media will surely scream loudly when the numbers turn downward and we begin to normalize. They'd prefer to drag this out to November.

Both sides have agendas.

04-06-2020 08:39 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
Talk is Federal offices won’t reopen to the public until June 1.

Considering the constant beefing that the Federal government is not being cautious enough, I think that’s pretty significant.

My expectation is we restart things gradually to see if things are really under control or just suppressed because of distancing.

I don’t understand the valuing of the economy over lives. Worst case scenario is expending the capital to resume activity, discovering we got it wrong and closing again.

I see flu analogies all the time. At best COVID kills 5x more of the infected than the flu and that’s the optimistic take. It may be higher as more pessimistic analysts have it. We have a flu vaccine that cuts down on the spread. We have PROVEN EFFECTIVE drug interventions. Yet even with those resources we still end having to close schools and businesses in hot spots for the flu even though it is only 20% as deadly and doesn’t spread as easily.

The greatest threat of shutdown is consumers unable to spend and delaying recovery. We’ve extended the most miserly consumer assistance package of the developed nations so we may not have the consumer spending power to restart. Despite the $2T package that would have been enough to cover all health expenditures of people not covered by Medicare, Medicaid or VA, the package passed quickly yet offers little to people out of work or in danger of losing a small business.

The added debt is a concern but as a percentage of GDP we borrowed more for four or five years in a row in WWII as government employed millions and bought up most of the manufacturing capacity.

We can literally borrow our way out of this if we put our fellow citizen above the economy not for years but for months.
04-07-2020 02:08 AM
OsageJ Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: stAte
(04-06-2020 01:24 PM)WolfBird Wrote:  

Apparently you’ve never been sued before.

Or old.
04-07-2020 09:49 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.