Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Covid-19 could travel 27 feet, stay in air for hours: MIT researcher
usmbacker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beer
Covid-19 could travel 27 feet, stay in air for hours: MIT researcher
This would be really bad news if true.
Quote:Social-distancing guidelines to stay 6 feet from others may be woefully inadequate, one scientist warns — saying the coronavirus can travel 27 feet and linger for hours.

MIT associate professor Lydia Bourouiba, who has researched the dynamics of coughs and sneezes for years, warns in newly published research that the current guidelines are based on outdated models from the 1930s.

Rather than the assumed safety of 6 feet, Bourouiba warns that “pathogen-bearing droplets of all sizes can travel 23 to 27 feet.”

Her research, published in the Journal of the American Medical Association, also warns that “droplets that settle along the trajectory can contaminate surfaces” — and “residues or droplet nuclei” may “stay suspended in the air for hours.”

She notes a 2020 report from China that showed that “virus particles could be found in the ventilation systems in hospital rooms of patients with COVID-19.”

Bourouiba fears that the current guidelines are “overly simplified” and “may limit the effectiveness of the proposed interventions” against the deadly pandemic.

She says it is particularly urgent for health care workers who, she argues in her report, face an “underappreciated potential exposure range” while treating the sick and dying.

“There’s an urgency in revising the guidelines currently being given by the [World Health Organization] and the [Centers for Disease Control and Prevention] on the needs for protective equipment, particularly for the frontline health care workers,” Bourouiba told USA Today.

The World Health Organization — which suggests 3 feet is enough to remain safe — told USA Today it “welcomed” studies.

“WHO carefully monitors emerging evidence about this critical topic and will update this scientific brief as more information becomes available,” WHO said in a statement to the paper.

Link
(This post was last modified: 03-31-2020 12:14 PM by usmbacker.)
03-31-2020 12:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UofMstateU Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
RE: Covid-19 could travel 27 feet, stay in air for hours: MIT researcher
This would fly in the face of other studies that says the virus falls quickly.

And I'm really not going to believe anything out of the WHO or CHina at this point.
03-31-2020 12:06 PM
VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
Must be a hell of a rocket sneeze to travel 27 feet.
03-31-2020 12:08 PM
stinkfist Online
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
how many times can I fk'n state how stupid all this bs is/has become...

I've been 'sick' of short-sighted cuckbrains my entire life..

this is simple turned tard....

sig line 4 rules the roost once again...

#~1mos.
03-31-2020 12:13 PM
Advertisement

stinkfist Online

(03-31-2020 12:00 PM)usmbacker Wrote:  This would be really bad news if true.
Quote:Social-distancing guidelines to stay 6 feet from others may be woefully inadequate, one scientist warns — saying the coronavirus can travel 27 feet and linger for hours.

MIT associate professor Lydia Bourouiba, who has researched the dynamics of coughs and sneezes for years, warns in newly published research that the current guidelines are based on outdated models from the 1930s.

Rather than the assumed safety of 6 feet, Bourouiba warns that “pathogen-bearing droplets of all sizes can travel 23 to 27 feet.”

Her research, published in the Journal of the American Medical Association, also warns that “droplets that settle along the trajectory can contaminate surfaces” — and “residues or droplet nuclei” may “stay suspended in the air for hours.”

She notes a 2020 report from China that showed that “virus particles could be found in the ventilation systems in hospital rooms of patients with COVID-19.”

Bourouiba fears that the current guidelines are “overly simplified” and “may limit the effectiveness of the proposed interventions” against the deadly pandemic.

She says it is particularly urgent for health care workers who, she argues in her report, face an “underappreciated potential exposure range” while treating the sick and dying.

“There’s an urgency in revising the guidelines currently being given by the [World Health Organization] and the [Centers for Disease Control and Prevention] on the needs for protective equipment, particularly for the frontline health care workers,” Bourouiba told USA Today.

The World Health Organization — which suggests 3 feet is enough to remain safe — told USA Today it “welcomed” studies.

“WHO carefully monitors emerging evidence about this critical topic and will update this scientific brief as more information becomes available,” WHO said in a statement to the paper.

Link

it's so simple...

if at risk, stay away...

If not, become immune or a casualty of almost nil proportions...

everything else is choice and consequence....

fk the rest of the bs....

tell me how that logic is flawed outside of msm rhetorical bs...

#allFknEars
03-31-2020 12:18 PM
UofMstateU Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
OK, so I get her concerns, however, she has not dealt/studied with this virus. Others have, and have determined it drops at very fast rate. We really dont need any more scientists throwing mud at the wall. We already had one numbnut who admitted his number of projected deaths were off by a multiple of 25 because his original data was flawed.
03-31-2020 12:27 PM
stinkfist Online

(03-31-2020 12:27 PM)UofMstateU Wrote:  OK, so I get her concerns, however, she has not dealt/studied with this virus. Others have, and have determined it drops at very fast rate. We really dont need any more scientists throwing mud at the wall. We already had one numbnut who admitted his number of projected deaths were off by a multiple of 25 because his original data was flawed.

welcome to why 'da finga' was my fave during muh college years..

#line4
03-31-2020 12:56 PM
TripleA Online
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
(03-31-2020 12:08 PM)VA49er Wrote:  Must be a hell of a rocket sneeze to travel 27 feet.

That's what Fauci said in the presser tonight. He said that report disturbed him, b/c it is misleading. He said 6 feet is enough, and practical.
03-31-2020 07:56 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.