Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

location data of phones that were on a Florida beach during Spring Break
BEARCATDALE Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
location data of phones that were on a Florida beach during Spring Break

My thoughts are this is kind of cool to be able to track this data and then I'm like whoa...how much info is out there about me.
03-27-2020 11:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
RE: location data of phones that were on a Florida beach during Spring Break
(03-27-2020 11:42 PM)BEARCATDALE Wrote:  

My thoughts are this is kind of cool to be able to track this data and then I'm like whoa...how much info is out there about me.

My god man. Nothing Orwellian about that. That's a KBG dream. Just put fricking tracking chips in people.

What a nightmare.
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2020 11:47 PM by shere khan.)
03-27-2020 11:46 PM
stinkfist Online
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
last time I checked, one can set "show my location" to "off".... all I see is most folk choose not to do such....

if I hear social distancing one more freakin' time, I'm going to explode....

I'm tired of this bs....if one is immunodeficient or in the upper percentile at risk category, just stay away and isolate until it passes....

it's gonna be the same bs using this method come the fall....

I finally talked pops into buying gloves yesterday....he's one stubborn feller b/c he went to pick 'em up....

my mother has too many health issues (physical) and rarely leaves the house anyway....

the bottom line is the country/economy, people have to move to generate income....people are going to die....happens every single minute of every single day for a variety of reasons...

shut everything down? that's easily the bigger disaster happening by the minute....

#completelyMismanagedIMO
(This post was last modified: 03-28-2020 06:27 AM by stinkfist.)
03-28-2020 06:26 AM
miko33 Offline
Defender of Honesty and Integrity

I Root For: Alma Mater
(03-27-2020 11:46 PM)shere khan Wrote:  

My god man. Nothing Orwellian about that. That's a KBG dream. Just put fricking tracking chips in people.

What a nightmare.

You don’t have to bother with tracking chips. I have a hard time believing that turning your tracking off on the smart phone helps. Everyone has a smartphone now...
03-28-2020 11:41 AM
GeorgeBorkFan Offline
All American

I Root For:
(03-28-2020 06:26 AM)stinkfist Wrote:  last time I checked, one can set "show my location" to "off".... all I see is most folk choose not to do such....

It is very unlikely that is how this data was obtained. Usually, phones can be tracked by bluetooth, or other methods. There are numerous private businesses that provide this service.
03-28-2020 11:07 PM
Advertisement

stinkfist Online

(03-28-2020 11:07 PM)GeorgeBorkFan Wrote:  
(03-28-2020 06:26 AM)stinkfist Wrote:  last time I checked, one can set "show my location" to "off".... all I see is most folk choose not to do such....

It is very unlikely that is how this data was obtained. Usually, phones can be tracked by bluetooth, or other methods. There are numerous private businesses that provide this service.

well then....I guess I learned something new today....

it's like when I told the IRS where I was long ago....

apparently, they both still apply... 03-wink
03-28-2020 11:51 PM
uofmcamaro Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Consistency
(03-28-2020 06:26 AM)stinkfist Wrote:  if I hear social distancing one more freakin' time, I'm going to explode....

I'm tired of this bs....if one is immunodeficient or in the upper percentile at risk category, just stay away and isolate until it passes....

That’s a big problem with this disease though. I’m 36 and my wife is 34. She has virtually no immune system due to multiple chronic illnesses. She can hole up in the house for a month...****** quality of life but it can be done. Me however? I work at a damn bank. Hundreds of ppl week
Y if not for social distancing. And with ppl carrying for a week with no symptoms it could easily be a death sentence for her if I got it. There’s no isolation SHE can do to protect her.
03-29-2020 03:09 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
(03-29-2020 03:09 AM)uofmcamaro Wrote:  
(03-28-2020 06:26 AM)stinkfist Wrote:  if I hear social distancing one more freakin' time, I'm going to explode....

That’s a big problem with this disease though. I’m 36 and my wife is 34. She has virtually no immune system due to multiple chronic illnesses. She can hole up in the house for a month...****** quality of life but it can be done. Me however? I work at a damn bank. Hundreds of ppl week
Y if not for social distancing. And with ppl carrying for a week with no symptoms it could easily be a death sentence for her if I got it. There’s no isolation SHE can do to protect her.
Does the same not apply with the flu or other viruses? Should we shut down the country every year they guess incorrectly on flu shot because your wife might get sick?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
03-29-2020 03:46 AM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE

What a nightmare.
Remember that, at the end of Orwell’s 1984, the protagonist decides to stop resisting Big Brother and to start accepting/trusting/obeying him.

We have now raised a generation from the cradle to believe that Big Brother is just a normal, everyday part of their lives. I think Gen X will be the last demographic to have any real concept of privacy.
03-29-2020 04:20 AM
Advertisement

WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WKU

But isnt that a you problem? You make the choice to go to work, knowing the problems your wife has. So wouldnt it be a lot easier for you and your wife to avoid each other than 100s of people not doing their business? The problems your wife has will not go away when the government says all clear. Yet, what has actually cleared?

But you are wrong there is isolation for your wife...she and I guess you have made the choice to not go 100% isolation. She can go to a bedroom at the other end of the house. Lock her door, stay put and use the phone and video to have contact with you.

My wife has COPD and heart disease and a few more things wrong with her...mostly from smoking. If she gets the worse type of coronavirus, she has a very good chance in being one of those that die from this virus.

While I go and do everything that needs to be done outside of the home (she will go but stay in the car). She could still catch it from me or our sons, who works around 100s of people. She made the choice that seeing our sons and grandson is more important to her than being locked away from all of us. We all make choices and shouldn't have to ask others to change their life for us. Not when we have full control of if we truly wanted to be isolated.

Good luck to your wife...hope she stays safe and a vaccine is ready before next Oct/Nov
(This post was last modified: 03-29-2020 06:12 AM by WKUYG.)
03-29-2020 06:11 AM
SoMs Eagle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Mighty Mustard
(03-28-2020 11:51 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  

I’m certainly no expert but I’ve been told that turning your location service off will only affect your ability to check and some apps but the phone is still anonymously giving its location to the service providers. In the end, they know where everyone’s phone is, but they ‘may’ not know who’s phone it is.
03-29-2020 07:57 AM
stinkfist Online

(03-29-2020 04:20 AM)Native Georgian Wrote:  

What a nightmare.
Remember that, at the end of Orwell’s 1984, the protagonist decides to stop resisting Big Brother and to start accepting/trusting/obeying him.

We have now raised a generation from the cradle to believe that Big Brother is just a normal, everyday part of their lives. I think Gen X will be the last demographic to have any real concept of privacy.

or have a clue how to combat the infiltration.....

#covertOps
03-29-2020 08:36 AM
stinkfist Online

(03-29-2020 06:11 AM)WKUYG Wrote:  

But isnt that a you problem? You make the choice to go to work, knowing the problems your wife has. So wouldnt it be a lot easier for you and your wife to avoid each other than 100s of people not doing their business? The problems your wife has will not go away when the government says all clear. Yet, what has actually cleared?

But you are wrong there is isolation for your wife...she and I guess you have made the choice to not go 100% isolation. She can go to a bedroom at the other end of the house. Lock her door, stay put and use the phone and video to have contact with you.

My wife has COPD and heart disease and a few more things wrong with her...mostly from smoking. If she gets the worse type of coronavirus, she has a very good chance in being one of those that die from this virus.

While I go and do everything that needs to be done outside of the home (she will go but stay in the car). She could still catch it from me or our sons, who works around 100s of people. She made the choice that seeing our sons and grandson is more important to her than being locked away from all of us. We all make choices and shouldn't have to ask others to change their life for us. Not when we have full control of if we truly wanted to be isolated.

Good luck to your wife...hope she stays safe and a vaccine is ready before next Oct/Nov

XACLY!

nobody is wishing hardship to any or all....

minimizing the impact is critical for those we care about in any version of recovery....

this is what pisses me off the most in mismanaging within our geo-economic-society....

instead of focusing/aiding those that are most 'at-risk', they're shutting down the entire system....folks like camaro are still in play....therefore, wtf has one really accomplished?!

that's as 'knee-beef/pork-jerky' as it gets....
(This post was last modified: 03-29-2020 08:44 AM by stinkfist.)
03-29-2020 08:41 AM
Advertisement

stinkfist Online

(03-29-2020 07:57 AM)SoMs Eagle Wrote:  
(03-28-2020 11:51 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  

I’m certainly no expert but I’ve been told that turning your location service off will only affect your ability to check and some apps but the phone is still anonymously giving its location to the service providers. In the end, they know where everyone’s phone is, but they ‘may’ not know who’s phone it is.

there's always the 'burner' for purchase...

if 'they' want ya, they're going to get ya.....it's simply becomes a matter of 'importance' over time...

#offTheGrid
03-29-2020 08:44 AM
Claw Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
Of course they can track them all the time. It is "cell" phone. It always has its presence reported to a nearby active cell. If it doesn't, you get the NO SERVICE error. If you have service, you are tracked. It is that simple.

This is why criminals and our secret agent movie heroes use burner phones. You cannot stop the phone from being tracked. All you can do is hide who is using the phone.
03-29-2020 08:48 AM
stinkfist Online

(03-29-2020 08:48 AM)Claw Wrote:  Of course they can track them all the time. It is "cell" phone. It always has its presence reported to a nearby active cell. If it doesn't, you get the NO SERVICE error. If you have service, you are tracked. It is that simple.

This is why criminals and our secret agent movie heroes use burner phones. You cannot stop the phone from being tracked. All you can do is hide who is using the phone.

XACLY!

what one should really fear???!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cash becomes obsolete......
03-29-2020 08:52 AM
Eagleaidaholic Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Southern Miss
(03-29-2020 08:41 AM)stinkfist Wrote:  
(03-29-2020 06:11 AM)WKUYG Wrote:  

XACLY!

nobody is wishing hardship to any or all....

minimizing the impact is critical for those we care about in any version of recovery....

this is what pisses me off the most in mismanaging within our geo-economic-society....

instead of focusing/aiding those that are most 'at-risk', they're shutting down the entire system....folks like camaro are still in play....therefore, wtf has one really accomplished?!

that's as 'knee-beef/pork-jerky' as it gets....

You forgot to say "for a bug that 1/100th of 1% of the world's population has tested positive for ".
03-29-2020 09:22 AM
Advertisement

CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
I don’t want to sound like a conspiracy nut, however, we need to remember these things for the future.

Here in Louisville the Mayor has set up a hotline where you can call and report groups of more than 10 socializing. He also said they were working with local cell companies to track the movement of the residents. Now my understanding is even if you turn off location software on your phone that your location can be traced by the pings off cell towers.

Don’t know about anyone else but I don’t much care for my government tracking us and making it easier to snitch on each other.
(This post was last modified: 03-29-2020 10:13 AM by CardinalJim.)
03-29-2020 10:12 AM
stinkfist Online

(03-29-2020 10:12 AM)CardinalJim Wrote:  I don’t want to sound like a conspiracy nut, however, we need to remember these things for the future.

Here in Louisville the Mayor has set up a hotline where you can call and report groups of more than 10 socializing. He also said they were working with local cell companies to track the movement of the residents. Now my understanding is even if you turn off location software on your phone that your location can be traced by the pings off cell towers.

Don’t know about anyone else but I don’t much care for my government tracking us and making it easier to snitch on each other.

if I lived in Louisville, I know what I'd be doing as a combatant...it finally took the 'burg 2 election cycles and a few arrested to eradicate our 20 yr. pos mayor.....it's a fk'n pain in the cods to fight #muhQuota...

this I why I really miss the days of southern miss beating y'alls arse on the gridiron and enjoyed the many a close losses in metro hoops days as I'm screaming at Denny from the rowdy rail...

it's not fonzies getting old, Ja?! 03-wink

#meGoodOl'Days
(This post was last modified: 03-29-2020 10:20 AM by stinkfist.)
03-29-2020 10:18 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.