WMU Broncos

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

QB Play
Bronco'14 Offline
WMU

I Root For: WMU Broncos
QB Play
After looking so dominant in 2017 & 2018 Wassink looked very human and very inconsistent this season. Same with the receivers. I saw a lot of dropped passes, under thrown balls, overthrown balls, etc. Going back to the Monmouth game that I believed opened up with a severely-underthrown ball on the first drive.

Passing game was what did us in this season.

I suspect some it it was because we've been starting a player intended to be back-up. The player recruited to be our starting QB (Tanner Morgan) left w/ Fleck. Morgan's now dominating the Big 10 and was getting Heisman talk up until about half-time of the Wisconsin game. Wassink would've probably been behind him on the bench his whole career had Morgan stayed here..

Here's the Composite Scores for each QB on 24/7:
Wassink: .8172
Morgan: .8375
Eleby: .8696

Eleby will be Lester's quarterback from the get-go. Let's see how he does.
TL did decent w/ a QB salvaged from Fleck's roster raid. Eleby already has FBS playing experience, if there was any positive of the 2018 Potato Bowl it was that.

Contrary to lot of Broncos fans opinions, Fleck left a roster with a lot of holes in it and it wasn't helped any when he raided it when he left. If he had left a starting QB and a go-to WR - 2 of the most important positions on offense - that'd be another story.

And that's definitely what we need as well: a go-to receiver like Jarmarko Simmons, Gregg Jennings, Jordan White, Corey Davis.

Rewatch our games this season. How many passes dropped? How many catchable balls dropped? I watched almost all of the Central/Toledo game this past Friday. Their QB was hitting everything. Their receivers were catching everything. I never saw that this year on the Bronco team.

Bottom line: Defense improved this season, running game's great & can afford a step back, now it's the passing game. Start Wassink in the bowl game, if we get behind early put in Eleby.
12-04-2019 06:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RunningGame Offline
All American

I Root For: WMU
RE: QB Play
(12-04-2019 06:49 PM)Bronco14 Wrote:  After looking so dominant in 2017 & 2018 Wassink looked very human and very inconsistent this season. Same with the receivers. I saw a lot of dropped passes, under thrown balls, overthrown balls, etc. Going back to the Monmouth game that I believed opened up with a severely-underthrown ball on the first drive.

I suspect some it it was because we've been starting a player intended to be back-up. The player recruited to be our starting QB (Tanner Morgan) left w/ Fleck. Morgan's now dominating the Big 10 and was getting Heisman talk up until about half-time of the Wisconsin game. Wassink would've probably been behind him on the bench his whole career had Morgan stayed here..

TL did decent w/ a QB salvaged from Fleck's roster raid. Eleby already has FBS playing experience, if there was any positive of the 2018 Potato Bowl it was that.

Contrary to lot of Broncos fans opinions, Fleck left a roster with a lot of holes in it and it wasn't helped any when he raided it when he left. If he had left a starting QB and a go-to WR - 2 of the most important positions on offense - that'd be another story.

And that's definitely what we need as well: a go-to receiver like Jarmarko Simmons, Gregg Jennings, Jordan White, Corey Davis.

Rewatch our games this season. How many passes dropped? How many catchable balls dropped? I watched almost all of the Central/Toledo game this past Friday. Their QB was hitting everything. Their receivers were catching everything. I never saw that this year on the Bronco team.

Bottom line: Defense improved this season, running game's great & can afford a step back, now it's the passing game. Start Wassink in the bowl game, if we get behind early put in Eleby.

Wassink is a good MAC QB, as good as a Hiller or Terrell when healthy. His obstacle was he never had a go-to WR his entire career. He barely ever had experienced WRs. I agree that's the biggest problem. Every time we come close to solving it or developing some solid chemistry, something happens, whether it's Watson getting hurt, Reed leaving, Eskridge moving to defense.

Moore can be that guy, and we have a lot of other talented freshmen receivers. We just need some continuity there.
12-05-2019 08:40 AM
GRBRONCO Offline
1st String

(12-04-2019 06:49 PM)Bronco14 Wrote:  After looking so dominant in 2017 & 2018 Wassink looked very human and very inconsistent this season. Same with the receivers. I saw a lot of dropped passes, under thrown balls, overthrown balls, etc. Going back to the Monmouth game that I believed opened up with a severely-underthrown ball on the first drive.

This is year 3 of Lester, Fleck has absolutely nothing to do with our current situation. Everybody here was saying Eleby was the better prospect than Morgan anyway. Big coaching blunder to not get Eleby in some games this year (at least the 4 game minimum).
12-05-2019 10:51 AM
AFLAGWA Offline
1st String

I Root For: Snow Days!
(12-05-2019 10:51 AM)GRBRONCO Wrote:  This is year 3 of Lester, Fleck has absolutely nothing to do with our current situation. Everybody here was saying Eleby was the better prospect than Morgan anyway. Big coaching blunder to not get Eleby in some games this year (at least the 4 game minimum).

Respectfully, I don't read it that way.

Given Wassink's injury-prone past, you couldn't just use him in the early season blow-outs in the event we needed him down the road. We were operating under the idea that we were playing in a bowl and the MACC. To stay within the 4-game window, you would have had games against Ohio, NIU, MACC and Bowl. Ohio and NIU games (and Balls if you want to back up another game) were all too close to just bring a guy in. Now that we are inside of that window, I would LOVE to see him get some reps in the bowl game if they should present themselves.

I don't think one should worry too much about clean-up in-game experience at the risk of an entire year of eligibility. Especially, when he had a ton of actual in-game last year.

I fault our coaches for quite a few errors, but I think they played this right. Just my opinion...
12-05-2019 11:20 AM
DrDavis Offline
2nd String

So do we sit Wassink during the Bowl game and let the Eleby era begin?

Given situation of a meaningless bowl game and Eleby's past experience I say yes.

Let Jon start and run the first series then hand the reins over.
12-05-2019 11:31 AM
Toddzilla Offline
Bench Warmer

Absolutely play Eleby as much as possible.
12-05-2019 11:37 AM
Advertisement

GRBRONCO Offline
1st String

(12-05-2019 11:20 AM)AFLAGWA Wrote:  
(12-05-2019 10:51 AM)GRBRONCO Wrote:  This is year 3 of Lester, Fleck has absolutely nothing to do with our current situation. Everybody here was saying Eleby was the better prospect than Morgan anyway. Big coaching blunder to not get Eleby in some games this year (at least the 4 game minimum).

Respectfully, I don't read it that way.

Given Wassink's injury-prone past, you couldn't just use him in the early season blow-outs in the event we needed him down the road. We were operating under the idea that we were playing in a bowl and the MACC. To stay within the 4-game window, you would have had games against Ohio, NIU, MACC and Bowl. Ohio and NIU games (and Balls if you want to back up another game) were all too close to just bring a guy in. Now that we are inside of that window, I would LOVE to see him get some reps in the bowl game if they should present themselves.

I don't think one should worry too much about clean-up in-game experience at the risk of an entire year of eligibility. Especially, when he had a ton of actual in-game last year.

I fault our coaches for quite a few errors, but I think they played this right. Just my opinion...

I'm not talking about just reps to prepare for next year. I think Eleby could have helped us actually win games and go to the MACC. We needed a spark in that NIU game. Eleby could have been that spark.
12-05-2019 11:51 AM
RunningGame Offline
All American

(12-05-2019 11:31 AM)DrDavis Wrote:  So do we sit Wassink during the Bowl game and let the Eleby era begin?

Given situation of a meaningless bowl game and Eleby's past experience I say yes.

Let Jon start and run the first series then hand the reins over.

Who is he throwing to? Moore, Bussell, and Hall need to be consistently open outside for our offense to be substantially improved. They will get there as they progress. Unless Eleby has some serious wheels running the ball, his stronger arm won't outshine Jon's knowledge of the offense with a corp of young bucks catching the ball.

I don't think Eleby is that different from Wassink in terms of mobility. Last season, he was really hanging in the pocket to try to make things happen downfield—which did impress me.
12-05-2019 12:34 PM
Broncodan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Broncos!!
There is absolutely no way that Lester would sit Wassink on his final game ever as a QB, you guys are nuts, this is TL we are talking about!
12-05-2019 12:37 PM
DrDavis Offline
2nd String

Quote:Posted by Broncodan - Today 11:37 AM
There is absolutely no way that Lester would sit Wassink on his final game ever as a QB, you guys are nuts, this is TL we are talking about!

I agree here.

It is my belief that Jon is the best candidate to win the bowl game. But giving Eleby the experience versus increasing the changes of winning a pretty meaningless bowl game would propel me to give Eleby significant/majority playing time.
12-05-2019 12:48 PM
wmubroncopilot Offline
Heisman

(12-05-2019 12:37 PM)Broncodan Wrote:  There is absolutely no way that Lester would sit Wassink on his final game ever as a QB, you guys are nuts, this is TL we are talking about!

Don't think anyone wants/expects Wassink to sit all or even most of the time but I think it'd be crazy not to get Eleby some PT, and not in garbage time.
12-05-2019 12:54 PM
Advertisement

AFLAGWA Offline
1st String

I Root For: Snow Days!
(12-05-2019 11:51 AM)GRBRONCO Wrote:  I'm not talking about just reps to prepare for next year. I think Eleby could have helped us actually win games and go to the MACC. We needed a spark in that NIU game. Eleby could have been that spark.

I won't dispute that. I would like to think that the coaches played what they considered to be their best option. You generally dance with the one that brought you.

I still believe that game was decided on fluke plays and odd strategy. Guy rolls over a dude and runs 70 yards for a TD. WR throws a TD. We miss 2 FG's and turn it over going into the RZ. We drive the ball down their throats for a TD on the ground, then next series throw 3 times.

Just lots of weird in that game. Either way, we're moving on to what is in front of us. The Eleby Era either jumps off in our bowl game or we see it in the fall.
12-05-2019 02:51 PM
Bronc33 Offline
1st String

(12-05-2019 02:51 PM)AFLAGWA Wrote:  Just lots of weird in that game. Either way, we're moving on to what is in front of us. The Eleby Era either jumps off in our bowl game or we see it in the fall.

Don't forget the uncalled targeting on Ricci and the ref tackling Bells when he was likely gone for a TD or big gain.
12-05-2019 03:00 PM
MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

Whatever bowl game we go to will be end of this (2019) season.

Meaning it's Wassink's to play.

He deserves it.

Now if he gets hurt, or we are blowing out opponent - then it's time for Eleby.
12-05-2019 04:10 PM
MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-05-2019 03:00 PM)Bronc33 Wrote:  Don't forget the uncalled targeting on Ricci and the ref tackling Bells when he was likely gone for a TD or big gain.

You are right, but as four-time Super Bowl champion coach Chuck Noll used to tell his Steelers:

"You have to play better than the officials officiate."

Unfortunately last week in DeKalb we didn't.
(This post was last modified: 12-05-2019 05:24 PM by MajorHoople.)
12-05-2019 04:50 PM
MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

Used to be a saying in Detroit:

The two most popular people in the city were Lions' back-up QB and Red Wings' back-up goalie.

Appears that's where some of you "fans" are now regarding Wassink.
(This post was last modified: 12-05-2019 05:30 PM by MajorHoople.)
12-05-2019 04:54 PM
Advertisement

flushtheherd Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-05-2019 04:54 PM)MajorHoople Wrote:  Used to be a saying in Detroit:

The two most popular people in the city were Lions' back-up QB and Red Wings' back-up goalie.

I think it’s not so much about Wassink this year and more about getting Eleby some more game experience...

I can agree that the problem was not getting Eleby time early... and after last season we have to covet the 4 games we could use him... hence the use of Alsttot.

Knowing you have Eleby going in next season makes it simple. If Jon is struggling you swap him in... this game means nothing.
12-05-2019 06:59 PM
Bronco'14 Offline
WMU

(12-05-2019 04:54 PM)MajorHoople Wrote:  Used to be a saying in Detroit:

Few things:
1.) Eleby is more of the equivalent of a top draft pick still breaking in or hot young prospect. Could you imagine the outrage if Eleby had started & we had a senior QB riding the bench, especially w/ a very 'win now' fanbase?

2.) The other chorus I hear from Red Wings/Lions fans is 'Fire the coach!' How many coaches have been coach of the Lions the past couple decades? Maybe it's a roster problem (no offensive line & no running game).

The Red Wings made the smart move in realizing its not Blashill but a roster problem (too many players who would be on the 3rd or 4th line of most of the good teams) and brought in Yzerman to revamp that.
(This post was last modified: 12-05-2019 07:16 PM by Bronco'14.)
12-05-2019 07:10 PM
Bronco'14 Offline
WMU

(12-05-2019 04:50 PM)MajorHoople Wrote:  
(12-05-2019 03:00 PM)Bronc33 Wrote:  Don't forget the uncalled targeting on Ricci and the ref tackling Bells when he was likely gone for a TD or big gain.

You are right, but as four-time Super Bowl champion coach Chuck Noll used to tell his Steelers:

"You have to play better than the officials officiate."

Unfortunately last week in DeKalb we didn't.

Definitely agree that, while there were a lot of flukey things last Tuesday, good teams overcome them.

But bottom line: team has a few holes it has to plug before it can get over flukes.
12-05-2019 07:14 PM
Bronco'14 Offline
WMU

(12-05-2019 10:51 AM)GRBRONCO Wrote:  

This is year 3 of Lester, Fleck has absolutely nothing to do with our current situation. Everybody here was saying Eleby was the better prospect than Morgan anyway. Big coaching blunder to not get Eleby in some games this year (at least the 4 game minimum).
Exactly. And we didn't have Morgan; we had Wassink who was behind Morgan. Good news is we have Eleby.
(This post was last modified: 12-05-2019 07:26 PM by Bronco'14.)
12-05-2019 07:26 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.