Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Temple FB Stadium - What's Up
panite Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Owls-SC-RU-Navy
Temple FB Stadium - What's Up
Hey Temple people any word on your new stadium. Nothing in the news since 2018 when the project stalled. Isn't your lease extension up at the end of the 2019 season. Curious as to what is going with many other schools putting out news on their current renovations and future renovations. Are you staying in the LINC going forward, building your OC stadium, or moving in another direction with all the problems you have had with the city of Philadelphia and the surrounding local residents. Temple needs to strike now with the new stadium while the program is enjoying it's current run of success if it intends to build that new stadium especially since I hear Laurie still wants Temple out of the LINC and that he still wants full control of it's use.
What's going on down there. 02-13-banana COGS 04-cheers
10-11-2019 01:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

vick mike Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple U
RE: Temple FB Stadium - What's Up
No news or progress regarding an OCS for Temple. Seems to be DOA. I’m assuming (hoping) we are negotiating an extension at the Linc but have not read anything. It’s quiet, almost too quiet.
10-11-2019 01:29 PM
JHG722 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Temple
AQOTWF
10-11-2019 01:41 PM
vick mike Offline
All American

(10-11-2019 01:41 PM)JHG722 Wrote:  AQOTWF

Exactly.
10-11-2019 01:44 PM
templefootballfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TU & BGSU & TEX
Linc was built for Eagles & Temple
Pitt don't seem to have problems with Steelers

Laurie is a creep
10-11-2019 02:32 PM
vick mike Offline
All American

(10-11-2019 02:32 PM)templefootballfan Wrote:  Linc was built for Eagles & Temple

Laurie is a creep

Ooh, haikus, what fun.
10-11-2019 02:33 PM
Advertisement

Poseidon Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tulane
Why not Talen Energy Stadium?
10-11-2019 02:52 PM
templefootballfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TU & BGSU & TEX
Bring something to the table next time (Vick Mike)
(This post was last modified: 10-11-2019 02:54 PM by templefootballfan.)
10-11-2019 02:53 PM
vick mike Offline
All American

(10-11-2019 02:53 PM)templefootballfan Wrote:  Bring something to the table next time (Vick Mike)

Uh, I think I did.
10-11-2019 04:45 PM
JHG722 Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-11-2019 02:52 PM)Poseidon Wrote:  Why not Talen Energy Stadium?

Because I'd rather drop football than play in 20K seat stadium in Chester.
10-11-2019 11:23 PM
geosnooker2000 Offline
I got Cleopatra in the basement

I Root For: Brandon
(10-11-2019 01:29 PM)vick mike Wrote:  No news or progress regarding an OCS for Temple. Seems to be DOA. I’m assuming (hoping) we are negotiating an extension at the Linc but have not read anything. It’s quiet, almost too quiet.

Did it stall because the ESPN deal came in, and it's $7MM per for the next 12 years, so "there's no hurry"?
10-12-2019 12:55 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

jedclampett Offline
All American

Did it stall because the ESPN deal came in, and it's $7MM per for the next 12 years, so "there's no hurry"?
[/quote]

No. Temple's OCS proposal was actually rejected by Philadelphia City Council.

The rejection took place for the same reason why the Phillies' proposal to build a baseball stadium in central Philly was rejected. Both were rejected out of concern for the impact that such stadiums would have on the local community and on issues such as traffic congestion that would result.

For those unfamiliar with the history of the issue, there have been years of heated discussion on both sides of the debate at Temple's message boards (24/7 & rivals).

A lot of the debate is truly hilarious, or at least entertaining, because the battle-lines were drawn years back and few opinions have been changed.

Among the died in the wool TUFB fans on the 24/7 site, opinions have been split something like 50-50 or 45-55.

Has Lurie charged too much and been a major obstruction to Temple FB? I would say, probably, up until now, since Lurie charged the absolute maximum that a public institution with a public and public health mission with an average endowment like Temple could afford.

Now, with the $7 million per year, Temple can definitely afford to continue playing at Lincoln Financial Field.

A major reason for playing there is that it is very accessible to the public and has excellent sight lines and facilities. It also has good tailgating.

Another is that it has proved to be a recruiting advantage for the TUFB program. Young recruits are jazzed by the prospect of playing in a high-end NFL stadium.

It's also better for TUFB to play their games in a large stadium - one of the larger stadiums in the AAC - which can accommodate major contests with teams like Penn State and Notre Dame that nearly pack the house.

In contrast, the proposed Temple campus stadium would have only accomodated ~35,000 - 38,000 fans, and the proposal was a bargain basement stadium with poorer facilities, very little parking, and would have had to be shoe-horned into a tiny footprint.

It was a cracker-box MAC stadium proposal, and would not have given the AAC a good look. It would have been the butt of jokes by visiting AAC teams, especially considering that the surrounding neighborhoods are modest, at best.

The City Council did you all a favor by rejecting Temple's stadium proposal. You get to see your teams play the Owls in a top notch NFL stadium, and the tickets are cheap, and you get to sit close to the field.

That's an invitation, y'all!
10-12-2019 01:19 AM
Philly Brian Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
The stadium is on hold for now due to politics involving the city. It may be a long time before this could be resolved.
Essentially ... local members of the community say that Temple has not done enough and city politicians agree with them.
They say that Temple is a long way away from earning their approval. In a nutshell Temple will have to spend big money on a community
project to get approval. It could be $15 to $20 mil in my estimate.
So for now Temple will continue to play at the NFL stadium. Rent was supposed to increase from $1 mil to $2 mil per year back in 2018. Parking and concessions also are suppose to go to the nfl team as in the past. Additionally Temple was asked to pay a one time $12 mil in stadium improvements.
Not sure if any of that has happened.
The city and most of the public here could care less about Temple football. It's all Eagles here.... So we Temple football supporters need to make sure that we are heard ..
10-12-2019 01:56 AM
wavefan12 Offline
All American

I Root For: Tulane
The way the Eagles have treated the city’s major public university regarding the publicly financed stadium is one of the more deplorable examples of greed that should be exposed. I hope some Temple fan gets in contact with a major news network showing just how much some pro teams will put money ahead of morals. All while in Pitt the Rooney’s understand how a public city institution should be treated. So strange that the same state can allow two different institutions to be treated so different.
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2019 03:19 AM by wavefan12.)
10-12-2019 03:15 AM
jedclampett Offline
All American

(10-12-2019 01:56 AM)Philly Brian Wrote:  The stadium is on hold for now due to politics involving the city. It may be a long time before this could be resolved.
Essentially ... local members of the community say that Temple has not done enough and city politicians agree with them.
They say that Temple is a long way away from earning their approval. In a nutshell Temple will have to spend big money on a community
So for now Temple will continue to play at the NFL stadium. Rent was supposed to increase from $1 mil to $2 mil per year back in 2018. Parking and concessions also are suppose to go to the nfl team as in the past. Additionally Temple was asked to pay a one time $12 mil in stadium improvements.
The city and most of the public here could care less about Temple football. It's all Eagles here.... So we Temple football supporters need to make sure that we are heard ..

10-12-2019 04:50 AM
jedclampett Offline
All American

(10-12-2019 01:56 AM)Philly Brian Wrote:  The stadium is on hold for now due to politics involving the city. It may be a long time before this could be resolved.

The bottom line is that Temple fans pay a pittance for their seats and get a much, much, MUCH better game day experience than fans at the "Big House" of Ann Arbor get on their aluminum benches so far from the field that the players look like pygmy fleas.

Yes, Lurie has been a money-grubbing _____bag in the negotiations, and yes, he should be publicly shamed for this treatment of a public university dedicated to health and education of the people of Philadelphia. He has brought shame upon himself. The Pitt model should be the Temple model, and someday, Lurie is going to wake up and realize what a perpetual jerk he has been.

But in the mean time, Temple fans probably have the best seats in all of college football, and at the lowest prices.

So, yeah, keep beating up on Lurie, but also keep celebrating the fact that Temple FB is the best bargain in town. Lurie's "Linc" is one of the best stadiums in college football if you want to actually see the game.

I'd level every penalty on Lurie that I could, but that wouldn't stop me from enjoying the FB saturdays in Philly to the hilt.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

and thank God that Temple didn't get permission to build that sorry @$$ excuse for a MAC stadium and piss off the entire community in the process!

People will count their lucky stars that the Temple OCS proposal was dead on arrival at the City Council. It would have taken TUFB back into the dark ages.
10-12-2019 05:03 AM
Advertisement

sierrajip Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF
(10-12-2019 04:50 AM)jedclampett Wrote:  

Does not really count towards the discussion, but that video was so great. The Three Stooges" was a great comedy act. Bar, few.
10-12-2019 05:36 AM
jedclampett Offline
All American

Does not really count towards the discussion, but that video was so great. The Three Stooges" was a great comedy act. Bar, few.
[/quote]

Glad that you appreciate the humor.

Every time somebody posts on this topic over at the 24/7 Temple Message Board, it is like a 3 Stooges picture.

Honestly, the topic has been kicked around so many times that even the idea of having another thread about a proposed campus stadium for Temple is enough to generate uproarious laughter among at least half of the Temple faithful.

The proposed stadium was so pathetic that the rest of the AAC should be glad it will never be built. It would have been a disaster.
10-12-2019 06:21 AM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
(10-11-2019 02:32 PM)templefootballfan Wrote:  Linc was built for Eagles & Temple

Challenge for Pitt is they now do not have a real home field advantage like they once had in their old on-campus Pitt Stadium as every Pitt fan knows they don't need a 68,500 seat stadium for 99% of their home games (save for future games vs ND or if they ever host WVU).

Pitt obviously never has won a conf championship game and their best ACC Season occurred last year when they won the divisional title yet finished 7-7 overall.

Goal for every team is usually win their conf championship game and then move on to a NYD6 Bowl and/or Playoff Game.

Pitt and their deal with the Steelers and the city/county reminds me of an AT&T Commercial...its "just ok" and I think that will stop them from ever reaching the pinnacle like they once did multiple times in their on-campus stadium.

Maybe their Dutch is "just ok"?

(This post was last modified: 10-12-2019 07:09 AM by KnightLight.)
10-12-2019 06:56 AM
jedclampett Offline
All American

(10-12-2019 06:56 AM)KnightLight Wrote:  [quote='templefootballfan' pid='16362789' dateline='1570822376']
Linc was built for Eagles & Temple

Challenge for Pitt is they now do not have a real home field advantage like they once had in their old on-campus Pitt Stadium as every Pitt fan knows they don't need a 68,500 seat stadium for 99% of their home games (save for future games vs ND or if they ever host WVU).

Pitt obviously never has won a conf championship game and their best ACC Season occurred last year when they won the divisional title yet finished 7-7 overall.

Goal for every team is usually win their conf championship game and then move on to a NYD6 Bowl and/or Playoff Game.

Pitt and their deal with the Steelers and the city/county reminds me of an AT&T Commercial...its "just ok" and I think that will stop them from ever reaching the pinnacle like they once did multiple times in their on-campus stadium.

----------

So it is paradoxical. Pitt has a much better stadium deal than Temple has. The Steelers organiztion has behaved in a much more ethical and civically responsible manner.

Yet, Temple has already won a conference championship playing at the Eagles stadium, and has had the best 10 year run in the history of TUFB.

Maybe Pitt would be better off playing in their campus stadium, but that can't generalize to Temple's situation, because Temple doesn't have a campus stadium, and seems to be far better off playing at the Linc as a member of the AAC.

At this point, the whole topic is a matter of amusement and "faits accompli." Nothing anybody can do. Just keep smilin'.

(This post was last modified: 10-12-2019 08:38 AM by jedclampett.)
10-12-2019 08:34 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.