Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT: California Passes Image Compensation Bill for College Athletes
vick mike Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple U
OT: California Passes Image Compensation Bill for College Athletes
http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/c...?ocid=iehp

Best line from the article: This bill will prevent California schools from competing for national titles.
09-30-2019 11:51 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Pony94 Online

I Root For: SMU
RE: OT: California Passes Image Compensation Bill for College Athletes
Dairy Whip will be sponsoring quite a few pom pom squads in the AAC
09-30-2019 11:59 AM
invisiblehand Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulsa
(09-30-2019 11:51 AM)vick mike Wrote:  http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/c...?ocid=iehp

Best line from the article: This bill will prevent California schools from competing for national titles.

You mean it's not the fact that they've basically been embarrassing themselves on the field for the passed 10 years?
09-30-2019 12:48 PM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
California schools can't compete for titles but they now have a huge recruiting advantage.
09-30-2019 01:42 PM
ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF Knights
State of Florida is next

Currently crafting a Name, Image, and Likeness Bill

Quote:A source tells CBS Sports that a Florida representative is not only beginning to craft a similar bill, but is aiming for an enactment date prior to 2023.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basket...tests/amp/

It’s an arms race now.

With the state of Florida involved, if passes now it impacts SEC, ACC, American, and C-USA.

(This post was last modified: 09-30-2019 02:17 PM by ArmoredUpKnight.)
09-30-2019 01:44 PM
qwerty1 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: _ _
(09-30-2019 01:42 PM)Chappy Wrote:  California schools can't compete for titles but they now have a huge recruiting advantage.

Nailed it.
09-30-2019 01:50 PM
Advertisement

GoOwls111 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: No CFP BIAS
(09-30-2019 01:42 PM)Chappy Wrote:  California schools can't compete for titles but they now have a huge recruiting advantage.

But... But... But I thought that "recruits only want to play where they can compete for Championships" - Every ESPiN announcer on Nationally televised AAC games.
09-30-2019 02:00 PM
natibeast21 Offline
Banned

I Root For: UC, Ohio State
Players deserved to be compensated at some level (similar to the stipends) equal across all universities paid by the NCAA themselves. I think jersey sales would be ok and some strict rules for endorsements. If agents are involved things will get messy fast.

Hope this isn't the start of the end of college athletics.
09-30-2019 02:05 PM
Wudizzle Offline
1st String

I Root For: Wichita State
(09-30-2019 02:05 PM)natibeast21 Wrote:  Hope this isn't the start of the end of college athletics.

It is. Most people can't see more than 3 inches in front of their face.

Imagine your favorite semi-pro team. Now imagine that team wore a jersey with your favorite school's name on it. That's the result.

Some athletes will get rich, and some schools will (more legally) buy championships. But I won't give a ****. There are simply too many other things to do in life.
10-02-2019 11:36 AM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(09-30-2019 01:44 PM)ArmoredUpKnight Wrote:  State of Florida is next

Quote:A source tells CBS Sports that a Florida representative is not only beginning to craft a similar bill, but is aiming for an enactment date prior to 2023.

It’s an arms race now.

With the state of Florida involved, if passes now it impacts SEC, ACC, American, and C-USA.

The interesting thing about the California law is it specifically prohibits the NCAA from kicking out any California institution due to a student being compensated for name and likeness. Pretty sure the California Legislature has zero power outside the border of California. If push comes to shove, California is going to lose that battle. The California Legislature cannot define the rules of amateurism for Texas, Arizona, Oklahoma, Ohio, etc.
(This post was last modified: 10-02-2019 11:44 AM by Attackcoog.)
10-02-2019 11:42 AM
Fishpro10987 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Temple
(10-02-2019 11:36 AM)Wudizzle Wrote:  
(09-30-2019 02:05 PM)natibeast21 Wrote:  Hope this isn't the start of the end of college athletics.

It is. Most people can't see more than 3 inches in front of their face.

Imagine your favorite semi-pro team. Now imagine that team wore a jersey with your favorite school's name on it. That's the result.

Some athletes will get rich, and some schools will (more legally) buy championships. But I won't give a ****. There are simply too many other things to do in life.

Feeling the same way. If they thought college attendance was falling before, wait till this scenario unfolds.
10-02-2019 04:16 PM
Advertisement

TripleA Online
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
(10-02-2019 11:42 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

It’s an arms race now.

The interesting thing about the California law is it specifically prohibits the NCAA from kicking out any California institution due to a student being compensated for name and likeness. Pretty sure the California Legislature has zero power outside the border of California. If push comes to shove, California is going to lose that battle. The California Legislature cannot define the rules of amateurism for Texas, Arizona, Oklahoma, Ohio, etc.

If California is the only state with that law by 2023, then they may lose the battle. But right now, at least 10 or 12 other states are considering similar legislation, and if that happens, that will cover every FBS conference in the country.

At that point, the NCAA will have to adapt.
10-02-2019 04:47 PM
invisiblehand Offline
Heisman

The real problem is that there are a ton of players (especially in non-revenue sports) that are happy to have the scholarship opportunity at all because they really know how much it means and what their alternatives are. We never hear from the baseball players that are getting half-tuition. We never hear from the kids that are playing football and studying mechanical engineering. We only hear from the Napiers of the world who didn't show up to class half the time, don't take advantage of the compensation that's being given to them, and are leaving school early. I certainly think there could be some tweaks to the rules to allow for greater freedom as far as players getting legitimate part time jobs or internships in the offseason, but sponsorships for likenesses are a bridge to far for me. I'll find something else to do with my Saturdays when that happens.
10-02-2019 04:51 PM
invisiblehand Offline
Heisman

(10-02-2019 04:47 PM)TripleA Wrote:  

It’s an arms race now.

If California is the only state with that law by 2023, then they may lose the battle. But right now, at least 10 or 12 other states are considering similar legislation, and if that happens, that will cover every FBS conference in the country.

Or they can sue the legislature of one and see where that gets them.
10-02-2019 04:52 PM
Attackcoog Offline

It’s an arms race now.

Frankly, this reminds me a lot of the FCOA situation. My guess is this will be dealt with during the off season. Assuming most of these state law proposals pass---the real problem is that there will be multiple states with multiple laws. The NCAA wont be able to reconcile a single policy that will conform to all the new state laws. The key for the NCAA is to do the same thing it did with FCOA. Get out ahead of this and craft a policy that addresses the issue while minimizing the damage to the heath and character of college sports.

Between the rules and the year around character of college sports---these kids cant really get part time jobs like normal college kids. Unless their parents send them money, most of these kids are broke. I'd like to see something that gives the kids some sort of "spending money" monthly compensation thats similar to what the typical college kid makes at a part time job. It needs to be done in a way that keeps the boosters out of it and maintains the current competitive balance in the sport.
(This post was last modified: 10-02-2019 06:46 PM by Attackcoog.)
10-02-2019 06:44 PM
TripleA Online
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
(10-02-2019 06:44 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

It’s an arms race now.

Frankly, this reminds me a lot of the FCOA situation. My guess is this will be dealt with during the off season. Assuming most of these state law proposals pass---the real problem is that there will be multiple states with multiple laws. The NCAA wont be able to reconcile a single policy that will conform to all the new state laws. The key for the NCAA is to do the same thing it did with FCOA. Get out ahead of this and craft a policy that addresses the issue while minimizing the damage to the heath and character of college sports.

Between the rules and the year around character of college sports---these kids cant really get part time jobs like normal college kids. Unless their parents send them money, most of these kids are broke. I'd like to see something that gives the kids some sort of "spending money" monthly compensation thats similar to what the typical college kid makes at a part time job.

Didn't they already do that with the full cost of living allowances, or whatever they called it?
10-02-2019 06:46 PM
Advertisement

TripleA Online
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
(10-02-2019 04:51 PM)invisiblehand Wrote:  The real problem is that there are a ton of players (especially in non-revenue sports) that are happy to have the scholarship opportunity at all because they really know how much it means and what their alternatives are. We never hear from the baseball players that are getting half-tuition. We never hear from the kids that are playing football and studying mechanical engineering. We only hear from the Napiers of the world who didn't show up to class half the time, don't take advantage of the compensation that's being given to them, and are leaving school early. I certainly think there could be some tweaks to the rules to allow for greater freedom as far as players getting legitimate part time jobs or internships in the offseason, but sponsorships for likenesses are a bridge to far for me. I'll find something else to do with my Saturdays when that happens.

A college football player doing a local commercial and getting scale pay is where you draw the line?

If that's the case, why didn't you stop watching when the FBI made it clear that the stars in basketball were being paid hundreds of thousands under the table?
10-02-2019 06:49 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(10-02-2019 06:49 PM)TripleA Wrote:  
(10-02-2019 04:51 PM)invisiblehand Wrote:  The real problem is that there are a ton of players (especially in non-revenue sports) that are happy to have the scholarship opportunity at all because they really know how much it means and what their alternatives are. We never hear from the baseball players that are getting half-tuition. We never hear from the kids that are playing football and studying mechanical engineering. We only hear from the Napiers of the world who didn't show up to class half the time, don't take advantage of the compensation that's being given to them, and are leaving school early. I certainly think there could be some tweaks to the rules to allow for greater freedom as far as players getting legitimate part time jobs or internships in the offseason, but sponsorships for likenesses are a bridge to far for me. I'll find something else to do with my Saturdays when that happens.

A college football player doing a local commercial and getting scale pay is where you draw the line?

If that's the case, why didn't you stop watching when the FBI made it clear that the stars in basketball were being paid hundreds of thousands under the table?

Same reason you dont stop watching when a kid fouls a shooter. It was against the rules and the kid's team got penalized for it. If you make fouling legal....well, that might make it pretty interesting, but it wouldnt really be basketball anymore. 04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 10-02-2019 07:42 PM by Attackcoog.)
10-02-2019 07:41 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(10-02-2019 06:46 PM)TripleA Wrote:  

It’s an arms race now.

Between the rules and the year around character of college sports---these kids cant really get part time jobs like normal college kids. Unless their parents send them money, most of these kids are broke. I'd like to see something that gives the kids some sort of "spending money" monthly compensation thats similar to what the typical college kid makes at a part time job.

Didn't they already do that with the full cost of living allowances, or whatever they called it?

Nah. That only covers education related expenses. I dont think going out on a date, seeing a movie, or buying a new video game counts.
(This post was last modified: 10-02-2019 07:45 PM by Attackcoog.)
10-02-2019 07:44 PM
invisiblehand Offline
Heisman

It’s an arms race now.

Between the rules and the year around character of college sports---these kids cant really get part time jobs like normal college kids. Unless their parents send them money, most of these kids are broke. I'd like to see something that gives the kids some sort of "spending money" monthly compensation thats similar to what the typical college kid makes at a part time job. It needs to be done in a way that keeps the boosters out of it and maintains the current competitive balance in the sport.

I don’t know what planet you live on, but a ton of college students don’t have parents sending them “spending money”. For a lot of students, their part time job is going to pay tuition or their costs of living (food, board, etc...)

If you’re going to pay the players fine. Treat it like work study and take their athletic scholarships, and let them pay out of pocket like the rest of the student body who are getting federal loans to be able to go.
(This post was last modified: 10-03-2019 02:21 AM by invisiblehand.)
10-03-2019 02:20 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.