Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ECU vs. Navy
Ned Low Offline
All American

I Root For: ECU
ECU vs. Navy
Who wins and by how much?

I have no idea how to answer this question. I think that the game will be closer than our last few meetings and that at least the ECU defense will be better prepared to defend the against the Option.

This game is huge for ECU. If we can pull it out, I will be able to honestly say that our coaching change is already producing positive results; frankly, if we lose but keep it close I'll be able to say the same thing.

How good is Navy this year?
09-10-2019 09:15 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

k-vegasbuc Offline
1st String

I Root For:
RE: ECU vs. Navy
I've seen too many lopsided losses to be real confident in this game. I do think, as a team, we are tackling much better than last year which is big against this offense, since it tends to isolate defenders (on a pitch), so if a tackle is broken they have a lot of room to run.

I'm still also concerned about our offense, this will be a much better test on if we can run the ball which has been a challenge. I also want to see less drops and see Ahlers challenge defenses more vertically.

I think one of the best ways to beat triple option teams is to jump on them early and get a lead, so I'm hoping we can get a fast start.
09-10-2019 09:29 AM
Lethemeul Offline
Fancy Pants

I Root For: Pirates!

NCAAbbs LUGDonatorsFolding@NCAAbbs
I have confidence that our defense can keep us in the game. I'm not quite as confident that our offense can play mistake-free enough to not lose the game.

It feels weird to say, especially after the shellackings and skull-draggings that Navy has dispensed in the past, but I think this will be a close game. Since I'm biased, I'm going with Pirates by 4.
09-10-2019 09:43 AM
Ned Low Offline
All American

(09-10-2019 09:29 AM)k-vegasbuc Wrote:  I've seen too many lopsided losses to be real confident in this game. I do think, as a team, we are tackling much better than last year which is big against this offense, since it tends to isolate defenders (on a pitch), so if a tackle is broken they have a lot of room to run.

I'm still also concerned about our offense, this will be a much better test on if we can run the ball which has been a challenge. I also want to see less drops and see Ahlers challenge defenses more vertically.

I think one of the best ways to beat triple option teams is to jump on them early and get a lead, so I'm hoping we can get a fast start.

If we can't run the ball against them, we will lose. We will need at least 150 on the ground to win, IMHO.
09-10-2019 11:17 AM
k-vegasbuc Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(09-10-2019 11:17 AM)Ned Low Wrote:  
(09-10-2019 09:29 AM)k-vegasbuc Wrote:  I've seen too many lopsided losses to be real confident in this game. I do think, as a team, we are tackling much better than last year which is big against this offense, since it tends to isolate defenders (on a pitch), so if a tackle is broken they have a lot of room to run.

If we can't run the ball against them, we will lose. We will need at least 150 on the ground to win, IMHO.

I agree, it also allows us to chew up the clock and keep their offense off the field. Saw on the new depth chart that our Freshman Mauney has been moved up to 2nd string behind Pinnix. I know it was just Gardner Webb but he looked great last week and would love to see him get more carries.
09-10-2019 11:27 AM
CoastalJuan Offline
Business Drunk

The key to beating Navy is getting way out in front. From what I've seen, we don't have the offense. Navy -7 is my lock this week. They'll win by 2 scores.
09-10-2019 11:51 AM
Advertisement

200yrs2late Offline
Resident Parrothead

I Root For: East Carolina
Navy v. Holy Cross and ECU v. Gardner-Webb were very similar games. I don't know that anybody really knows if Navy has shaken their funk from last year - not enough data to tell. I THINK ECU can hang with Navy this year, just a question of ECU staying disciplined enough down the stretch not to give up big pass plays while selling out to stop the run. Also worried about the Navy FB, we seem to have struggled against the FB dive the last few times we played Navy.

Ahlers will carry a lot in this game, and I expect to see a bit more of an option look from ECU to try to keep the ball on the ground and the clock running. This could be a very fast game.
09-10-2019 02:21 PM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

(09-10-2019 11:27 AM)k-vegasbuc Wrote:  

I agree, it also allows us to chew up the clock and keep their offense off the field. Saw on the new depth chart that our Freshman Mauney has been moved up to 2nd string behind Pinnix. I know it was just Gardner Webb but he looked great last week and would love to see him get more carries.

Agree about Mauney. Looked great.
09-10-2019 02:38 PM
ECUGrad07 Offline
Hall of Famer

Did Coach Houston run the option when he was HC at The Citadel?
09-10-2019 02:52 PM
8BitPirate Offline
A Man of Wealth and Taste

150 points on the ground might be a stretch. I was hoping for ~75.
09-10-2019 02:53 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
First Mate Offline
1st String

(09-10-2019 09:15 AM)Ned Low Wrote:  Who wins and by how much?

I have no idea how to answer this question. I think that the game will be closer than our last few meetings and that at least the ECU defense will be better prepared to defend the against the Option.

This game is huge for ECU. If we can pull it out, I will be able to honestly say that our coaching change is already producing positive results; frankly, if we lose but keep it close I'll be able to say the same thing.

How good is Navy this year?

Need some turnovers and our offense has to keep pace. Running game has to show up. Ahlers needs to progress. Not a great track record against Navy so I’d say Navy 27 ECU 17. We just aren’t there yet with our talent.

Hope I’m wrong.
09-10-2019 03:46 PM
Advertisement

GoOwls111 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: No CFP BIAS
(09-10-2019 11:27 AM)k-vegasbuc Wrote:  

He should be moved up... He had a great game this past weekend.

I think Mauney being moved up possibly means Coach Houston plans to run more and take long shots at navy to try and limit number of possessions Navy has to work with.
09-10-2019 07:50 PM
oliveandblue Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulane
Has Coach Houston rebuilt the front 7? If those guys play good gap assignment football then ECU wins.
09-10-2019 07:52 PM
k-vegasbuc Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(09-10-2019 02:52 PM)ECUGrad07 Wrote:  Did Coach Houston run the option when he was HC at The Citadel?

Yes he ran the option at both the Citadel and Lenoir Rhyne. It wasn't until he got to JMU that he switched offenses to the spread. He should be very familiar with it. Our DC Trott should be quite familiar with it as well so hopefully that helps.
09-10-2019 08:06 PM
PirateJP Offline
All American

I Root For: ECU; Charlotte
In one of his interviews Houston stated they worked on defending the option everyday as part of fall camp. He very familiar with our history with Navy.
09-10-2019 08:20 PM
slhNavy91 Online
Heisman

I Root For: Navy
(09-10-2019 09:15 AM)Ned Low Wrote:  Who wins and by how much?

How good is Navy this year
?

Well that's the question.
The Navy staff's and fans' optimism that the problems of last year have been/are being addressed was bolstered by the opening game. Good execution and reads of the Navy offense. New DC was positive about how the newly installed system worked out, but still saw areas of improvement. But I wouldn't say anyone is getting liquored up on account of the win over Holy Cross.
I personally am still apprehensive. Optimistic, but apprehensive.

My benchmark is Navy winning 45-21.
No, Pirates, that's not a prediction.
But how Navy performs vs ECU in September of 2019 vs how Navy performed vs ECU in September 2015 is my barometer. In 2014, ECU went 8-4(5-3) in a conference that some naysayers insisted Navy wasnt going to able to handle. The Pirates had to replace Carden, but I think felt pretty good after a warmup win vs Towson and a 1 TD loss to UF. Navy came out and did OK.
Malcolm Perry is not Keenan Reynolds - the NCAA record books say that no one is. But the Holy Cross game showed Perry executing the Navy offense pretty well. One reason for optimism is comparing execution in the Holy Cross game vs last year's comp of Lehigh: 3 penalties vs 8, quality reads and execution, possibly better defensive showing.

HC Houston has option experience, as do the ECU DC and other staff...but there is a gulf between the coaches knowing what they want the players to do and the players doing it. How many 2019 Pirate defenders saw it in 2016? If they did are they still traumatized? (That November 16 game, coupled with the next week vs SMU are arguably the high watermark of Navy football since Staubach, so that isnt my benchmark for this game.)

I think Navy wins and covers.
If Navy hits my benchmark...well I am still not booking travel to the Cotton Bowl...but I like Navy's chances for CiC Trophy and a shot at 9th/10th win in a bowl.
A Navy win but not excellence, Im nail biting on CiC and bowl eligibility.
If Navy loses, or wins but looks non-Navy in execution, I start being concerned about bowl eligibility..
09-10-2019 08:40 PM
Advertisement

Memphis Yankee Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
Good Luck ECU. May God be with you.

(This post was last modified: 09-10-2019 09:01 PM by Memphis Yankee.)
09-10-2019 08:52 PM
CoastalJuan Offline
Business Drunk

ECU vs. Navy
That pitch game last week was the stuff of nightmares.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
09-11-2019 05:34 AM
chess Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU & Nebraska
I am excited because I am attending this game. I have a conference next week and scheduled a trip to Annapolis on the way. I hope ECU has a great game.04-cheers
09-11-2019 05:42 AM
slhNavy91 Online
Heisman

I Root For: Navy
(09-11-2019 05:42 AM)chess Wrote:  I am excited because I am attending this game. I have a conference next week and scheduled a trip to Annapolis on the way. I hope ECU has a great game.04-cheers

It seems like it's been a little while since I've run down my tips on how to enjoy gameday/weekend in Naptown...do you have ypur plans set?
09-11-2019 05:52 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.