vick mike Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple U
Exclamation ***Official Temple vs Bucknell Game Thread***
Temple Owls vs Bucknell Bison
3:00 Saturday August 31 2019
Lincoln Financial Field, Philadelphia PA
ESPN3

Bucknell is an FCS team and the Owls are favored by about 40 points.

Anthony Russo will be the starting QB for Temple.

We have a strange beginning to this season as we have a bye next week then host Maryland.

I expect the Owls to win handily.
08-30-2019 02:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Enriquillo Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UASD & Temple
RE: ***Official Temple vs Bucknell Game Thread***
(08-30-2019 02:24 PM)vick mike Wrote:  Temple Owls vs Bucknell Bison
3:00 Saturday August 31 2019
Lincoln Financial Field, Philadelphia PA
ESPN3

Bucknell is an FCS team and the Owls are favored by about 40 points.

Anthony Russo will be the starting QB for Temple.

We have a strange beginning to this season as we have a bye next week then host Maryland.

I expect the Owls to win handily.

You could say that Bucknell is Temple's greatest football rival, as no school has played Temple in football more than Bucknell. And Bucknell leads the all-time series. At their last meeting, Temple edged out the Bison 10-3 in a defensive showdown.

Bucknell has a new head coach and are hungry for revenge!

So buy your tickets now for what promises to be a barn-burner as the Owls and Bison fight once again for the legendary "Old Shoe" trophy!
08-30-2019 02:59 PM
oliveandblue Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulane
Temple by 20. It will be a rough opening game with plenty of tape to review.
08-30-2019 03:01 PM
vick mike Offline
All American

(08-30-2019 03:01 PM)oliveandblue Wrote:  Temple by 20. It will be a rough opening game with plenty of tape to review.

We’ll beat Bucknell by less than Tulane beat FIU? Ok.
08-30-2019 03:18 PM
oliveandblue Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulane
(08-30-2019 03:18 PM)vick mike Wrote:  
(08-30-2019 03:01 PM)oliveandblue Wrote:  Temple by 20. It will be a rough opening game with plenty of tape to review.

Aren't they a good Patriot league team?

I am used to seeing Temple play down to weak teams and then way up to decent ones.
(This post was last modified: 08-30-2019 03:40 PM by oliveandblue.)
08-30-2019 03:39 PM
zoocrew Offline
Banned

I Root For: PITT, NAVY, MBB
Would have pegged Penn State or Rutgers as your biggest rival.

Probably Rutgers these days.
08-30-2019 04:00 PM
Advertisement

vick mike Offline
All American

(08-30-2019 04:00 PM)zoocrew Wrote:  Would have pegged Penn State or Rutgers as your biggest rival.

Penn State is a one sided rivalry, they consider Temple an undeserving rival. Rutgers does as well except the rest of the universe knows we’re better. Bucknell is in no way a rivalry our games against them are ancient history. Honestly in football Temple doesn’t have a rivalry. Sadly Villanova probably comes closest.
08-30-2019 04:46 PM
vick mike Offline
All American

(08-30-2019 03:39 PM)oliveandblue Wrote:  
(08-30-2019 03:18 PM)vick mike Wrote:  

Aren't they a good Patriot league team?

I am used to seeing Temple play down to weak teams and then way up to decent ones.

We’ve admittedly earned that. Last year we lost to Villanova the year before we barely beat them. We lost an opening day game against Army in 2016, but that Army team was actually good. However we have also won by large margins against FCS teams in recent years as well, including lopsided wins against Villanova. I’m optimistic that our new coach will be much better prepared than our previous one.
08-30-2019 04:52 PM
Enriquillo Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UASD & Temple
(08-30-2019 04:00 PM)zoocrew Wrote:  Would have pegged Penn State or Rutgers as your biggest rival.

Temple is nobody's rival in football. There have been various possibilities, but:

UConn - The most fitting rival, but saw Temple as 'not worthy' athletically or academically, and couldn't get over the stigma of being a rival with a school that got the boot from the old Big East more than 15 years ago. Indeed, they still see Temple that way ... but nobody would ever say that UConn is good at reading athletic and academic trends (hint: Temple is passing you!). UConn sees Syracuse and BC as its rivals - and it's not mutual!

Rutgers - Same as for UConn, and the Owls don't play them every year. Then again, Rutgers also has no rival. The Owls get more respect in Piscataway than in East Hartford.

Penn State - Too one-sided a history.

Pitt - Actually a sister school and natural rival, but, again, the Owls are 'not worthy'! They have legitimate rivalries with PSU and WVU. Pitt won't even schedule Temple.

UMass - Once a huge basketball rival back in the A10. But out of conference and weak in football. Would love to see UMass better develop football and a rivalry created.

Villanova - Philadelphia was a big enough market for both Nova and Temple, but Nova was too insecure to see it. Blocked Temple from full BE membership, which negatively impacted the development of Temple football at the time. Like UConn, they are, as a result, self-relegated to second tier in football. If being hated makes you a rival, then Nova is surely it, but a true rivalry with an FCS school is not possible.

Navy - Navy will only accept a single rival.

East Carolina - Big cultural difference. The problem is that nobody will be talking about Temple-ECU football at the office water cooler. Hell, I don't even know an ECU grad.
(This post was last modified: 08-30-2019 05:10 PM by Enriquillo.)
08-30-2019 04:55 PM
vick mike Offline
All American

(08-30-2019 04:55 PM)Enriquillo Wrote:  

Temple is nobody's rival in football. There have been various possibilities, but:

UConn - The most fitting rival, but saw Temple as 'not worthy' athletically or academically, and couldn't get over the stigma of being a rival with a school that got the boot from the old Big East more than 15 years ago. Indeed, they still see Temple that way ... but nobody would ever say that UConn is good at reading athletic and academic trends (hint: Temple is passing you!). UConn sees Syracuse and BC as its rivals - and it's not mutual!

Rutgers - Same as for UConn, and the Owls don't play them every year. Then again, Rutgers also has no rival. The Owls get more respect in Piscataway than in East Hartford.

Pitt - Actually a sister school and natural rival, but, again, the Owls are 'not worthy'! They have legitimate rivalries with PSU and WVU. Pitt won't even schedule Temple.

UMass - Once a huge basketball rival back in the A10. But out of conference and weak in football. Would love to see UMass better develop football and a rivalry created.

Villanova - Philadelphia was a big enough market for both Nova and Temple, but Nova was too insecure to see it. Blocked Temple from full BE membership, which negatively impacted the development of Temple football at the time. Like UConn, they are, as a result, self-relegated to second tier in football. If being hated makes you a rival, the Nova is surely it, but a true rivalry with an FCS school is not possible.

East Carolina - Big cultural difference. The problem is that nobody will be talking about Temple-ECU football at the office water cooler. Hell, I don't even know an ECU grad.

Spot on post. Unfortunately our getting kicked out of a conference and years of terrible football have left us in the position of being undesirable as a rival, even in the American. You’d think someone would want to knock off Temple, after all we have been the second best football team in the conference based on performance. Oh well we’ll have another great year while the rest of them try to catch up.
08-30-2019 05:02 PM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
(08-30-2019 04:55 PM)Enriquillo Wrote:  

Villanova - Philadelphia was a big enough market for both Nova and Temple, but Nova was too insecure to see it. Blocked Temple from full BE membership, which negatively impacted the development of Temple football at the time. Like UConn, they are, as a result, self-relegated to second tier in football. If being hated makes you a rival, then Nova is surely it, but a true rivalry with an FCS school is not possible.

Misinformation. UCONN Football doesn't have any real rival. With that said, the vast majority of UCONN fans would consider Rutgers the closest thing to a rival in our limited FBS history.
08-30-2019 05:19 PM
Advertisement

TUowl06 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Temple/DePaul/K-State
Temple should roll. What makes things worse for the Bison is their expected to be without several key players including their bruising RB Chad Freshnock. Bucknell is one of the worse programs at the FCS level. New head coach Dave Cecchini has his work cut out for him.

My Bucknell Preview for TheFCSwedge.com.
http://thefcswedge.com/a-look-at-what-is...ntry/4704/

My Week 2 Patriot League Preview
http://thefcswedge.com/?p=4822&preview=true
08-30-2019 09:21 PM
thefinglonger Offline
2nd String

I Root For: The Proletariat
Carey is not "sexy" but he will be prepared. I think the days of playing down to the competition are over at Temple.
08-31-2019 07:30 AM
JHS55 Offline
All American

I Root For: Houston
If temple can’t beat FCS bisons today then y’all need to pick up your helmets, old shoes and your girly pads and go home...
08-31-2019 08:03 AM
vick mike Offline
All American

(08-31-2019 08:03 AM)JHS55 Wrote:  If temple can’t beat FCS bisons today then y’all need to pick up your helmets, old shoes and your girly pads and go home...

Temple was 7-1 last year in the American finishing second in the East behind UCF. We would have won the west if we were in that division having beaten Houston on the way. Yes we lost to FCS Villanova week 1; losing by 50 to Army in a bowl game was worse. Maybe Houston should get the frick out.
08-31-2019 10:25 AM
Fishpro10987 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Temple
(08-31-2019 07:30 AM)thefinglonger Wrote:  Carey is not "sexy" but he will be prepared. I think the days of playing down to the competition are over at Temple.

^This.^
08-31-2019 10:31 AM
Advertisement

zoocrew Offline
Banned

I Root For: PITT, NAVY, MBB
(08-31-2019 10:25 AM)vick mike Wrote:  
(08-31-2019 08:03 AM)JHS55 Wrote:  If temple can’t beat FCS bisons today then y’all need to pick up your helmets, old shoes and your girly pads and go home...

Temple was 7-1 last year in the American finishing second in the East behind UCF. We would have won the west if we were in that division having beaten Houston on the way. Yes we lost to FCS Villanova week 1; losing by 50 to Army in a bowl game was worse. Maybe Houston should get the frick out.

He’s a troll.
08-31-2019 11:09 AM
JHS55 Offline
All American

I Root For: Houston

You would not have won the west last year, the west division is for the big boys of the AAC
08-31-2019 11:19 AM
vick mike Offline
All American

(08-31-2019 11:19 AM)JHS55 Wrote:  

You would not have won the west last year, the west division is for the big boys of the AAC

Temple was 3-0 vs the west last year including beating Houston. If we were playing no divisions last year we would have been in the championship game not Memphis. As for big boys and the American more like big excuses. I’m not going to call you a troll but all you bring is inane statements with no backup.
08-31-2019 12:46 PM
vick mike Offline
All American

Temple opening drive TD, 7-0
08-31-2019 02:16 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.